Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Do you think Mike Vick is a POS?

I think he's paid what he owes both monetarily and society wise.

Maybe he did, maybe not but either way I think he is a pos. Anyone that is that cold that they could torture and kill helpless dogs has something wrong with them that a few years and dollars does not fix. You don't go from being able to do that to having an epiphany like "Now that I have been caught and my lies exposed I suddenly realize that what I did was wrong." More like "I do not want my career to go down the toilet now that people know what I am. I had better say the right things. " Just my opinion.

I have always been a fan of Michael Vick since his days at Virginia Tech, with Atlanta of course, and even with the rival Eagles. He's a good guy that was a great elite football player/QB.

I read somewhere that he's done a lot animal causes etc etc.

Seems to me he has learned a strong lesson.

I wouldn't trust him alone with dogs but he does seem to at least be trying to live a decent life

Made a mistake, owned it, served time, and now is contributing to society.

Good for him.

Running a dog fighting operation for years is not a mistake,it is a way of life. At best you could say he made thousands of mistakes.

Running a dog fighting operation for years is not a mistake,it is a way of life. At best you could say he made thousands of mistakes.

You win!! Anything else?

Did he not serve his punishment? He did, and hes been both remorseful and contributed positively to society. That doesnt mean we forget, but it does mean he gets a second chance and hes using it.

A role model for others who need rehabilitation.

Maybe he did, maybe not but either way I think he is a pos. Anyone that is that cold that they could torture and kill helpless dogs has something wrong with them that a few years and dollars does not fix. You don't go from being able to do that ###### to having an epiphany like "Now that I have been caught and my lies exposed I suddenly realize that what I did was wrong." More like "I do not want my career to go down the toilet now that people know what I am. I had better say the right things. " Just my opinion.

I totally agree. There is something fundamentally wrong in the wiring of one's brain to be able to do this. There's a reason why there is such a direct connection with serial killers and there earlier activities of torturing and killing house pets.

Which is why I also don't buy off on the societal or cultural excuse. Wrong is wrong is wrong. If it truly was societal or cultural then there should be literally millions of more arrests for the same crime. Most choose not to go down this path.

Every day that his brother stays alive and or out of prison is a surprise to me. And if this piece of s*** ended up dead or in prison and Not only would not disappoint me it wouldn't surprise me either.

• Like 1

I totally agree. There is something fundamentally wrong in the wiring of one's brain to be able to do this. There's a reason why there is such a direct connection with serial killers and there earlier activities of torturing and killing house pets.

Which is why I also don't buy off on the societal or cultural excuse. Wrong is wrong is wrong. If it truly was societal or cultural then there should be literally millions of more arrests for the same crime. Most choose not to go down this path.

Every day that his brother stays alive and or out of prison is a surprise to me. And if this piece of s*** ended up dead or in prison and Not only would not disappoint me it wouldn't surprise me either.

To you, It's because he's black, isn't it? Or because he's a conservative?

Made a mistake, owned it, served time, and now is contributing to society.

Good for him.

Would I trust him with an animal of any kind? No....But agree about the rest.

I conceptually understand how a different culture could look the other way where dog fighting is concerned. For example, I dont want to watch cockfights and intellectually I know its bad, but I dont have the same visceral emotional reaction as I do to dogfighting.

So big picture....I didnt see him as necessarily evil back then....and when someone is truly humbled and makes positive changes, we need to forgive them and even respect it, as its human nature to remain defiant until the very end.

There was a time that it was normal to watch men fight to the death in a colosseum.

There was a time that it was normal to watch men fight to the death in a colosseum.

Gladiators, do you like movies about gladiators?

Did he not serve his punishment? He did, and hes been both remorseful and contributed positively to society. That doesnt mean we forget, but it does mean he gets a second chance and hes using it.

A role model for others who need rehabilitation.

He plead guilty to bankrolling a dog fighting operation. He never plead guilty to killing or torturing dogs. That part is not his fault, the prosecutors let him plead down so who can blame him? Still he never served time for personally killing and torturing the dogs.

I never said he did not deserve a second chance or even that he should not have been allowed to play in the NFL. The question here was is he still a POS?. In my mind anyone that would do that to a dog let alone 50 is a POS and a few months in jail does not change that. I think saying he is a roll model is a giant stretch.

• Like 1

21 months in federal prison, fwiw

The fact that he pled guilty and served 21 months on a plea tells us two things:

1) There is no doubt how involved he was in the operation.

2) He served WAY less time than he SHOULD have. No competent attorney would advise his client to accept such a plea but for the fact that there was minimal chance to win at trial and that the sentence would be much worse after losing at trial. IOW, Vick got off EASY at 21 months.

POS.

• Like 1

Pit bulls shouldn't be in urban/suburban settings. They belong in the country where they can be used for their intended purpose. There should be very few of these dogs around. That being said, Vick is a POS and ran what was basically a concentration camp for these dogs.

The fact that he pled guilty and served 21 months on a plea tells us two things:

1) There is no doubt how involved he was in the operation.

2) He served WAY less time than he SHOULD have. No competent attorney would advise his client to accept such a plea but for the fact that there was minimal chance to win at trial and that the sentence would be much worse after losing at trial. IOW, Vick got off EASY at 21 months.

POS.

I love dogs and have had them my whole life, so I understand the visceral response. ........But intellectually....we wouldnt even demand multiple years in prison for people that killed cats, let alone if we could get hamsters or ants to fight.

Again, I get it emotionally....but Im trying to see it from the viewpoint of someone that didnt grow up like I did.

21 months seems like a pretty good chunk of time without some other crime involved, e.g. drugs or financial

I see cockfighting at the Geek Club every day.

Too bad you're unarmed.

• Like 1

21 months seems like a pretty good chunk of time without some other crime involved, e.g. drugs or financial

The f***** was busted violating the terms of his bond by getting smoked off his gourd. He couldn't even make it from trial to sentencing without violating his Bond.

First, G that shows a hell of a lot of remorse. And second, if he wasn't a celebrity? He gets 21 months just for that.

Seriously, 21 months, the many millions he lost and the huge blow to Vicks reputation seems fair.

In a league full of guys who hit women its odd to me that people react so strongly to Vick. I think cbfalcon is onto something too. We factory farm hundreds of thousands of cows and chickens per year and nobody gives a sh1t. This guy sport fights dogs and a decade later after hes still a pariah.

I would probably feel different if Vick hadnt been a model teammate here in Philly and if he hadnt done everything he could to make amends but he did. I think its time to let it go.

I'm not going to relitigate the case but from memory, but I think the reason everything got expedited and dumb down so much and so quickly was because there was a pissing match between the state of Virginia Which likely would have gave him a slap on the wrist simply because of who he was, and the FEDS. The feds stepped in with Rico and other charges because the dog fighting itself at that particular time was not a federal offense in and of itself.

He's actually lucky, because he fell into this Zone before a new federal dog fighting law took effect. Under that, we're talking multiple years minimum mandatory.

Seems like there's more than one conversation going on here. The question isn't it did he get sentenced appropriately or did he not serve the terms of his sentence adequately?

The question quite simply is is he a POS?

The f***** was busted violating the terms of his bond by getting smoked off his gourd. He couldn't even make it from trial to sentencing without violating his ###### Bond.

First, G that shows a hell of a lot of remorse. And second, if he wasn't a celebrity? He gets 21 months just for that.

Even if smoking pot is a bridge too far for you in terms of what makes one a POS....I imagine the humbling and change of character would have occurred during the prison sentence moreso than before it.

Uh......gambling on dogfighting.......

Many cultures view animals as unfeeling objects solely meant to serve man, including as entertainment. Though few can bankroll a dogfighting enterprise, there probably could be millions of arrests for cruelty if every person involved with animal fighting was charged. Moreover, the handling of livestock in industrial meat production ain't exactly kind. As MDC and CBF have alluded, society has just drawn an arbitrary line where animal slaughter is acceptable.

All that being said, you're right that psychopaths tend to be cruel to animals in their formative years. It's unlikely Vick grew up in such a cultural vacuum that he couldn't tell right from wrong. Even though he served his time, and probably is a better man for it, he still isn't a good person IMO.

I love dogs and have had them my whole life, so I understand the visceral response. ........But intellectually....we wouldnt even demand multiple years in prison for people that killed cats, let alone if we could get hamsters or ants to fight.

Again, I get it emotionally....but Im trying to see it from the viewpoint of someone that didnt grow up like I did.

I think there are just as many cat as dog lovers in this country, such that a large scale kitty-killing operation would invoke the same public scorn.

And now a word from our sponsor...

When cows, chickens, cats, squirrels, or ants start pulling survivors from the wreckage of collapsed buildings or detecting cancer or otherwise saving lives, come get me. Until then, they don't belong in this conversation.

Anybody who has spent more than two minutes around an actual cow realizes that these things were literally made to be eaten. They are the Jessica Simpson of the animal world. Still, I wouldn't deliberately torture them.

Unless it made the meat more tender.

And now a word from our sponsor...

When cows, chickens, cats, squirrels, or ants start pulling survivors from the wreckage of collapsed buildings or detecting cancer or otherwise saving lives, come get me. Until then, they don't belong in this conversation.

Anybody who has spent more than two minutes around an actual cow realizes that these things were literally made to be eaten. They are the Jessica Simpson of the animal world. Still, I wouldn't deliberately torture them.

Unless it made the meat more tender.

So you're suggesting dogs' service to man and/or intelligence makes their lives more valuable than other critters?

If they were pit bulls killing each other then Im actually okay with it.

I dont think they were putting two labs up against each other.