Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

Take the worst draft by Ruskell. NONE of them were as bad as this year. Have a nice day.

I was just thinking that this draft is almost the opposite of a Ruskell draft in terms of what the front office selected:

- small schools and mid-majors, not the big six conferences (Wagner, Turbin, Toomer, Lane)

- guys with character issues (Irvin)

That's five of our eight picks so far. Ruskell wouldn't have had any of those five guys on his board to start with.

I was just thinking that this draft is almost the opposite of a Ruskell draft in terms of what the front office selected:

- small schools and mid-majors, not the big six conferences (Wagner, Turbin, Toomer, Lane)

- guys with character issues (Irvin)

That's five of our eight picks so far. Ruskell wouldn't have had any of those five guys on his board to start with.

Plus instead of gaining picks, Rusky would be wasting picks to trade back into rounds and draft guys he think fell (Carlson).

This draft has me scratching my head, but at least I can see some outline of a greater plan. They're addressing needs, just not with the guys we are expecting.

Plus instead of gaining picks, Rusky would be wasting picks to trade back into rounds and draft guys he think fell (Carlson).

This draft has me scratching my head, but at least I can see some outline of a greater plan. They're addressing needs, just not with the guys we are expecting.

agreed. I don't think there was much attention to a BPA style of drafting, but I'm mostly ok with that. Would still like to have rolled the dice on Irvin by trading down a 2nd time, but whatevs, it's over now.

I also think that they must have taken the approach that the success of Baldwin at WR as an UDFA will encourage other UDFA WRs to sign with us. It's unlike JS to ignore WRs completely in a draft. Or, they're just really high on Obo, Durham, and Lockette, and think Rice is coming back 100%.

six more picks in front of us. Still available that I would like to get:

Marvin Jones, WR

Juron Criner, WR

Billy Winn, DE

Justin Bethel, S

George Iloka, S

Marvin McNutt, WR

Bengals took 2 of them for you.

The Seahawk hopeful might land Kellen Moore as an undrafted free agent.

Kid didn't get a whiff. Poor guy.

Well, well, well. Korey Toomer, LB, Idaho. Well, he wasn't among the top 350+ players on my board, but I'll give the front office credit. They've drafted 3 LBs now, so the odds say one of them will start. Right?

It's not a Toomer! :nono:

Lions grab Moore off the scrap heap. Sorry guys.

With us drafting Wilson I figured they wouldn't be interested. He could turn into a real nice backup for Stafford though.

Flynn starts, TJax is the backup and Portis or Wilson (who gets the edge) fight it out for 3rd string. the loser should stick around on the practice squad.

Next year Jackson walks, and either Portis or Wilson move up to 2nd string.

Seems like it's been forever since Seattle had some upside at the QB position.

Bengals took 2 of them for you.

saw that. I like what the Bengals did this year. Also liked the Eagles' picks.

What did we learn?

Pete and John find that they are smarter than the room because they think differently than most of the league when it comes to the NFL draft. You have to grab your players that you've locked onto as soon as possible or some Boogeyman will take him away and Good Lord that would be bad because there is no backup plan. Just panic.

Out of 10 picks made, the last pick of the last round addressed the teams glaringly largest weakness, a pass rushing defensive end. 4 times did Seattle go off the charts where most rating services could not give a grade for a pick because nobody thought the player was drafrable. 4 times. No one instance of a good value pick. Not once. There were 3 picks made where they should have been made, and 7 big time reaches.

Is this team improved after the draft? I have to say no. I don't know if a single player drafted will have any kind of impact on this season. Maybe one the LBs will play on 3rd downs in coverage. Irvin will get hurt early on. Turbin is the key. If Lynch blows out his knee, Turbin will be a fine fill in.

Overall draft grade: F+ while it was a Ruskellesque disaster in every way, I have enough belief in the front office where maybe one or two players become special teams contributors.

I think I'm getting too old for this. Year after year I work to put together the most comprehensive board I can, and year after year the players I pegged high have terrific careers and the stiffs the Seahawks pick fail spectacularly. I think I'd enjoy the season more if I lobotomized myself and just didn't watch the draft so I wouldn't know how bad the players were that were drafted. This stuff will give me a heart attack. Or at least bad gas.

What did we learn?

Pete and John find that they are smarter than the room because they think differently than most of the league when it comes to the NFL draft. You have to grab your players that you've locked onto as soon as possible or some Boogeyman will take him away and Good Lord that would be bad because there is no backup plan. Just panic.

Out of 10 picks made, the last pick of the last round addressed the teams glaringly largest weakness, a pass rushing defensive end. 4 times did Seattle go off the charts where most rating services could not give a grade for a pick because nobody thought the player was drafrable. 4 times. No one instance of a good value pick. Not once. There were 3 picks made where they should have been made, and 7 big time reaches.

Is this team improved after the draft? I have to say no. I don't know if a single player drafted will have any kind of impact on this season. Maybe one the LBs will play on 3rd downs in coverage. Irvin will get hurt early on. Turbin is the key. If Lynch blows out his knee, Turbin will be a fine fill in.

Overall draft grade: F+ while it was a Ruskellesque disaster in every way, I have enough belief in the front office where maybe one or two players become special teams contributors.

I think I'm getting too old for this. Year after year I work to put together the most comprehensive board I can, and year after year the players I pegged high have terrific careers and the stiffs the Seahawks pick fail spectacularly. I think I'd enjoy the season more if I lobotomized myself and just didn't watch the draft so I wouldn't know how bad the players were that were drafted. This stuff will give me a heart attack. OKr at least bad gas.

This the saddest Internet message board Post I have ever read. Talk about a wasted life.

This the saddest Internet message board Post I have ever read. Talk about a wasted life.

:lol:

You should see the stuff he has on the geek board.

:overhead:

I actually just saw Wilson on Jon Grudens QB Camp show.

Came away very excited about this kid. :thumbsup:

What's sadder is that it's mostly true.

Being a Seattle Seahawks fan is a wasted life.

Being 12th Man is a wasted abortion.

It hasn't been easy :(

Being a fan of Seattle professional sports has mostly been one big nutshot. Thank god you hate baseball, following the Mariners makes my head want to explode.

It hasn't been easy :(

Being a fan of Seattle professional sports has mostly been one big nutshot. Thank god you hate baseball, following the Mariners makes my head want to explode.

Oh yeah? Try going to your first NFL game as a kid in 1978 and falling in love with the Seahawks. Then growing up on the east coast. I'm now 40 and I've never been in a sports bar where the crowd was rooting for my team. Oh, and I also get the joy of being an Orioles fan.

*kicks a rock*

Oh yeah? Try going to your first NFL game as a kid in 1978 and falling in love with the Seahawks. Then growing up on the east coast. I'm now 40 and I've never been in a sports bar where the crowd was rooting for my team. Oh, and I also get the joy of being an Orioles fan.

*kicks a rock*

:lol: It's depressing going into any sports bar in the northwest and seeing as many Packers, Steelers and Niners fans as Seahawks fans.

I took a step back and really reviewed the guy's we picked.....

Ok, the first half that is, as the 2nd half of guy's drafted are no where to be found. :rolleyes:

I guess I can't comment on them, but they sure seem like reaches when there was guy's

like N. Toon on the board late still.

But anyway,

Irvin/3rd down rusher: Love his speed. Fills a hole on 3rd down pressure. "IF" he can play LB, this pick could turn out well. If he's asked to play DE, I just can't see it. He's got no inside moves and lacks power. He's all about edge rush.

That being said, Clemons is only 254 pounds, and slower. So maybe Irvin could play the Leo like Clemmons at the similar weight.

What I'm trying to find out though was Clemons powerful at the point of attack? Could he rush the big guy's in College? Because I don't see that Irvin can. So he's a 1 trick pony on 3rd down in my eyes or a liability vs the run otherwise. He really needs to form a spin move, and work on his bull rush. If he gains power and learns a few moves he could be deadly. I think this was a pretty could reach considering all the talent at DE out there though. I still have no clue why they didn't look at Whitney Mercilus who can do it all.

(D+ grade for the player / A+ grade for the position of need/draft slot)

(He does have A+ upside though if he can gain power and additional moves)

B. Wagner/LB: At first I hated this pick. But, that really had more to do with all the talent at WR on the board. (S. Hill was there until we moved back, then R. Randel)

And I didn't go over this guy much because of the small school and no combine.

After further review, I'm actually on board with him. I think he will plug right into a LB role, possibly MLB. Maybe Outside.

He's 241 pounds, 6+ feet, and runs in the low 4.4's. That's some great stats.

His tackles are the second best to Luke Kuechly. Great tackles, coverage, etc.

This is like a carbon copy of Luke with actually more upside I think. And faster.

Then I watched the tapes over, and this guy is all over the place. He's used on the blitz a lot, something Luke did not do much. He's also decent in coverage from what i can see.

He's a leader on the field and was captain 2 years. He sometimes is slow off the snap, but I think he's viewing the play and what's going on. But, then he fly's to the ball.

Great tackler (Like Luke) and a decent hitter for power also. He steps into the hole and always throws his body into the pile. I'm on board with this kid.

I think he steps right into a spot and I now love this pick. Plus we did trade down for him and gained more picks.

I actually think this is a better pick then Irvin. :) And can be used as a pressure blitz guy from the LB spot. This makes the Irvin pick feel less good, as I was hoping Irvin would be this LB? Now I'd rather have that true DE. I love Wagner's 241 and 4.4 speed.

He plays like Fred our Safety when I first reviewed him. Solid pick. Decent value pick.

(B+ grade for the player / A+ grade for the position of need/draft slot)

R. Wilson/QB: I love everything about the kid other then his size and where he was picked. Learned 2 systems including West Coast, great stats, smart kid, good arm, great mobility, great throwing on the run, everything. If he had the size of RG3, he would be RG3.

I think he should have been 4-5th rounder though because of the size. It's just a huge liability. If he was gone, O'well, get somebody else. We have Flynn and if that doesn't work out then we really should be going for Barkley or a 1st rounder. But, Hawks must have fell in love to much to not pick him early. There were some good players at this pick that hurt not getting here though that could have plugged into a starting role, while this appears right now as a 3rd string player pick.

Also, some other possible negatives is that he played with a beast of a line and his ball is thrown high as well as batted down a lot. These can be major issues, but maybe he can break the norm of a small QB. But, even Brees has about 1 inch + on him.

I love the pick, but not in the 3rd. But, here's something to think about?

Maybe T. Jackson won't be on the team? Maybe Wilson will be our #2 right away?

This might HELP M. Flynn. Flynn would not be looking over his shoulder from T. Jackson who has a right as starter and the teams support. With what T. Jackson did last year, it would be hard to bench him as he was there leader and the troops rallied with him and probably want him as the starter. But, if he was cut, then he's not a distraction anymore.

Just a thought?

Either way, T. Jackson is all but gone the following year anyway.

(B grade for the player / D grade for the position of need/Draft slot)

R. Turbin/RB: I LOVE this pick the more i watch this guy! The value was right, the player was right, and the need of position was right. The guy had better stats then Richardson.

The small school is a concern, but they did have a few big games. (This apply's for Wagner also)

He is beast mode 2. Now we have the beast and the HULK. He's a huge man that can run fast. Very fast speed on record. He catches very well also. He's a pounder.

I compare him to Lynch, but I see a lot of traits of A. Peterson actually.

I think he might be the 3rd best RB in the draft the more i look at him. He can spell Lynch with some speed/power, but he can also replace Lynch. This is a great pick. I could say more, but I think most agree.

(A grade for the player / A grade for the position of need/draft slot)

J. Howard/DT: From what I heard they were looking at Cox and Brockers in the first, so I guess this pick makes sense for them. I'd rather have a DT in the 4th, rather then pick one with our 1st rounder actually. So that's good. But, I don't really understand why they want more DT's?

What made it worse is they drafted 1 1/2 DT's later on top of this. Although, I guess one of them is more like a DE and the other they want to move to O-line.

For me though, the position of choice still does not seem good. We bought in Jones, and we have solid guy's ahead of them. On the flip side, those guy's don't get to the QB very well and our low pressure/Sacks can be part there problem. But, they are great at run support.

Howard the player though, IS in fact interesting. This pick makes some sense now that I've seen him. He's a 300 pound guy or close too, but ran the second fastest to only Cox. In fact, he was a top player at almost every combine drill.

On tape, he shows great speed and can easily get to the QB. This pick also improves our pass rush at DT, as that is his best attribute. He's got the size also.

I first noticed his lack of getting off the line quick was bad, but then I saw him get off quick at times also. SO I'm giving that a wash.

The main problem I have is his lack of power. He's doubled often, Gets to the QB often, but I also see him blown back often and pushed out of the way. (I similar and scary thing I see about Irvin) i.e. - Lack of power. And to further prove this point, the weakest combine number was his bench where he only did 24. Compared so some that did 34/44.

I would say he's a weak DT, but fast DT and more sack geared.

But overall, he's a nice talent in the 4th and makes some great plays. He also gained like 80 pounds in 1 year to play DT? SO, maybe that's more fat then muscle? Maybe he can get stronger or maybe he goes the other way and tries DE like Red.

Note: This is a similar issue with Irvin. SO, if these guy's can gain power/strength/bull rush working with Pro's then maybe these guy's will be studs. Maybe they think they can train this aspect, and they drafted for speed instead. We'll see.

(C grade for the player / D- grade for the position/draft slot)

Can't grade the rest of the draft. hahaha - Can't even find tape on them. <_<

It sure seems like a bunch of reaches to me though, wrong positions, and small schools on the outside.

However, Scruggs looked like a beast that was fast. And the Safety and Corner seemed like more of the same type of players they have already found for us. So they might be good.

But, can't understand why we are really picking these areas again.

They did not address weapons for Flynn really, which kind of upsets me. I wanted one of the many 6'4+ fast WR's out there. Streeter at 6'5 would have been fun to have.

But, they did add J. Kearse who I kind of liked. And the Oregon WR/6'5.

I don't really think they gained a true DE also. But, they easily found speed and some pressure guy's that should help.

OVERALL. I'm feeling better then I first did. I think the second half of the draft is SO suspect. I do think they reached way to much. Position of choice is suspect.

However, they added great speed overall with some interesting prospects.

This is NOT a Ruskell draft. I don't agree. It's a misleading draft. Doesn't look right on the outside, but once you pin it down it might not be all that bad on the inside.

Irvin is the big question mark to me? He makes or breaks the draft.

IF Irvin is a 10+ sack guy or pressure's often and can be a every down starter some day then this draft might be very good. He's got to be able to do run support though.

IF Irvin can get us off the field on 3rd downs, then I guess it could be considered a success?

I'm not all that happy, but I think it will be interesting with all the speed we added.

I think Wagner can plug right in. Turbin could if asked too. Irvin we'll see.

C grade overall I guess. B if Irvin turns out. D if all the back half are busts.

F if Irvin and the back half are busts, while my guy Whitney Mercilus is an all pro every down starter at DE for Houston.

I think our FO needs to think about drafting for value/who drops to you. They leave talent on the board. I know they want there guy's. But, I think they rate them to high compared to others, when they could get them later still.

EX. They take 2nd rounders, when 1st rounders are on the board. In my view anyway.

And of course, this is all just my views. I'm just a nobody in the business, so 12th man - I don't need you to tell me that. Read it if you want. Don't if you don't.

Go Hawks!

I do think I'll only do the first couple rounds next year. It hurts to much to see other teams take my guy's and we take players I didn't bother to look at. :unsure:

I took a step back and really reviewed the guy's we picked.....

Ok, the first half that is, as the 2nd half of guy's drafted are no where to be found. :rolleyes:

I guess I can't comment on them, but they sure seem like reaches when there was guy's

like N. Toon on the board late still.

But anyway,

Irvin/3rd down rusher: Love his speed. Fills a hole on 3rd down pressure. "IF" he can play LB, this pick could turn out well. If he's asked to play DE, I just can't see it. He's got no inside moves and lacks power. He's all about edge rush.

That being said, Clemons is only 254 pounds, and slower. So maybe Irvin could play the Leo like Clemmons at the similar weight.

What I'm trying to find out though was Clemons powerful at the point of attack? Could he rush the big guy's in College? Because I don't see that Irvin can. So he's a 1 trick pony on 3rd down in my eyes or a liability vs the run otherwise. He really needs to form a spin move, and work on his bull rush. If he gains power and learns a few moves he could be deadly. I think this was a pretty could reach considering all the talent at DE out there though. I still have no clue why they didn't look at Whitney Mercilus who can do it all.

(D+ grade for the player / A+ grade for the position of need/draft slot)

(He does have A+ upside though if he can gain power and additional moves)

B. Wagner/LB: At first I hated this pick. But, that really had more to do with all the talent at WR on the board. (S. Hill was there until we moved back, then R. Randel)

And I didn't go over this guy much because of the small school and no combine.

After further review, I'm actually on board with him. I think he will plug right into a LB role, possibly MLB. Maybe Outside.

He's 241 pounds, 6+ feet, and runs in the low 4.4's. That's some great stats.

His tackles are the second best to Luke Kuechly. Great tackles, coverage, etc.

This is like a carbon copy of Luke with actually more upside I think. And faster.

Then I watched the tapes over, and this guy is all over the place. He's used on the blitz a lot, something Luke did not do much. He's also decent in coverage from what i can see.

He's a leader on the field and was captain 2 years. He sometimes is slow off the snap, but I think he's viewing the play and what's going on. But, then he fly's to the ball.

Great tackler (Like Luke) and a decent hitter for power also. He steps into the hole and always throws his body into the pile. I'm on board with this kid.

I think he steps right into a spot and I now love this pick. Plus we did trade down for him and gained more picks.

I actually think this is a better pick then Irvin. :) And can be used as a pressure blitz guy from the LB spot. This makes the Irvin pick feel less good, as I was hoping Irvin would be this LB? Now I'd rather have that true DE. I love Wagner's 241 and 4.4 speed.

He plays like Fred our Safety when I first reviewed him. Solid pick. Decent value pick.

(B+ grade for the player / A+ grade for the position of need/draft slot)

R. Wilson/QB: I love everything about the kid other then his size and where he was picked. Learned 2 systems including West Coast, great stats, smart kid, good arm, great mobility, great throwing on the run, everything. If he had the size of RG3, he would be RG3.

I think he should have been 4-5th rounder though because of the size. It's just a huge liability. If he was gone, O'well, get somebody else. We have Flynn and if that doesn't work out then we really should be going for Barkley or a 1st rounder. But, Hawks must have fell in love to much to not pick him early. There were some good players at this pick that hurt not getting here though that could have plugged into a starting role, while this appears right now as a 3rd string player pick.

Also, some other possible negatives is that he played with a beast of a line and his ball is thrown high as well as batted down a lot. These can be major issues, but maybe he can break the norm of a small QB. But, even Brees has about 1 inch + on him.

I love the pick, but not in the 3rd. But, here's something to think about?

Maybe T. Jackson won't be on the team? Maybe Wilson will be our #2 right away?

This might HELP M. Flynn. Flynn would not be looking over his shoulder from T. Jackson who has a right as starter and the teams support. With what T. Jackson did last year, it would be hard to bench him as he was there leader and the troops rallied with him and probably want him as the starter. But, if he was cut, then he's not a distraction anymore.

Just a thought?

Either way, T. Jackson is all but gone the following year anyway.

(B grade for the player / D grade for the position of need/Draft slot)

R. Turbin/RB: I LOVE this pick the more i watch this guy! The value was right, the player was right, and the need of position was right. The guy had better stats then Richardson.

The small school is a concern, but they did have a few big games. (This apply's for Wagner also)

He is beast mode 2. Now we have the beast and the HULK. He's a huge man that can run fast. Very fast speed on record. He catches very well also. He's a pounder.

I compare him to Lynch, but I see a lot of traits of A. Peterson actually.

I think he might be the 3rd best RB in the draft the more i look at him. He can spell Lynch with some speed/power, but he can also replace Lynch. This is a great pick. I could say more, but I think most agree.

(A grade for the player / A grade for the position of need/draft slot)

J. Howard/DT: From what I heard they were looking at Cox and Brockers in the first, so I guess this pick makes sense for them. I'd rather have a DT in the 4th, rather then pick one with our 1st rounder actually. So that's good. But, I don't really understand why they want more DT's?

What made it worse is they drafted 1 1/2 DT's later on top of this. Although, I guess one of them is more like a DE and the other they want to move to O-line.

For me though, the position of choice still does not seem good. We bought in Jones, and we have solid guy's ahead of them. On the flip side, those guy's don't get to the QB very well and our low pressure/Sacks can be part there problem. But, they are great at run support.

Howard the player though, IS in fact interesting. This pick makes some sense now that I've seen him. He's a 300 pound guy or close too, but ran the second fastest to only Cox. In fact, he was a top player at almost every combine drill.

On tape, he shows great speed and can easily get to the QB. This pick also improves our pass rush at DT, as that is his best attribute. He's got the size also.

I first noticed his lack of getting off the line quick was bad, but then I saw him get off quick at times also. SO I'm giving that a wash.

The main problem I have is his lack of power. He's doubled often, Gets to the QB often, but I also see him blown back often and pushed out of the way. (I similar and scary thing I see about Irvin) i.e. - Lack of power. And to further prove this point, the weakest combine number was his bench where he only did 24. Compared so some that did 34/44.

I would say he's a weak DT, but fast DT and more sack geared.

But overall, he's a nice talent in the 4th and makes some great plays. He also gained like 80 pounds in 1 year to play DT? SO, maybe that's more fat then muscle? Maybe he can get stronger or maybe he goes the other way and tries DE like Red.

Note: This is a similar issue with Irvin. SO, if these guy's can gain power/strength/bull rush working with Pro's then maybe these guy's will be studs. Maybe they think they can train this aspect, and they drafted for speed instead. We'll see.

(C grade for the player / D- grade for the position/draft slot)

Can't grade the rest of the draft. hahaha - Can't even find tape on them. <_<

It sure seems like a bunch of reaches to me though, wrong positions, and small schools on the outside.

However, Scruggs looked like a beast that was fast. And the Safety and Corner seemed like more of the same type of players they have already found for us. So they might be good.

But, can't understand why we are really picking these areas again.

They did not address weapons for Flynn really, which kind of upsets me. I wanted one of the many 6'4+ fast WR's out there. Streeter at 6'5 would have been fun to have.

But, they did add J. Kearse who I kind of liked. And the Oregon WR/6'5.

I don't really think they gained a true DE also. But, they easily found speed and some pressure guy's that should help.

OVERALL. I'm feeling better then I first did. I think the second half of the draft is SO suspect. I do think they reached way to much. Position of choice is suspect.

However, they added great speed overall with some interesting prospects.

This is NOT a Ruskell draft. I don't agree. It's a misleading draft. Doesn't look right on the outside, but once you pin it down it might not be all that bad on the inside.

Irvin is the big question mark to me? He makes or breaks the draft.

IF Irvin is a 10+ sack guy or pressure's often then this draft might be very good.

IF Irvin can get us off the field on 3rd downs, then I guess it could be considered a success?

I'm not all that happy, but I think it will be interesting with all the speed we added.

I think Wagner can plug right in. Turbin could if asked too. Irvin we'll see.

C grade overall I guess. B if Irvin turns out. D if all the back half are busts.

F if Irvin and the back half are busts, while my guy Whitney Mercilus is an all pro every down starter at DE for Houston.

I think our FO needs to think about drafting for value/who drops to you. They leave talent on the board. I know they want there guy's. But, I think they rate them to high compared to others, when they could get them later still.

EX. They take 2nd rounders, when 1st rounders are on the board. In my view anyway.

And of course, this is all just my views. I'm just a nobody in the business, so 12th man - I don't need you to tell me that. Read it if you want. Don't if you don't.

Go Hawks!

I do think I'll only do the first couple rounds next year. It hurts to much to see other teams take my guy's and we take players I didn't bother to look at. :unsure:

:rolleyes: Ok where to start?

1- You can't grade a draft class without having seen the players perfom at the pro level. I know your idol Mel Kiper does this, but it's foolish. Let's watch thse players perfom and then in 2-3 years we can look back and decide whether this was or was not a successful draft class. Sheesh!

2- How many colege games did you attend for scouting purposes? My guess is none.

3- How many players did you personally work out? My guess is none.

4- How many players did you personally interview? My guess is none.

Conclusion:

You are not a scout or a NFL talent evaluator. You will NEVER be able to acurately predict what any NFL team will do over an entire draft beacuse you simply are not privy to all the information they have. John Schneider just admitted on Sirius NFL radio that Barron, Kuechly, and Irvin were the top 3 defensive players on their board. Which means even though all the "experts" said the Hawks were going DE in round one, had Mark Barron been there at their pick, he would have been taken because Schnieder believes in staying true to the board.

Just enjoy the draft and stop wasting your life spending countless hours on some silly little draft board that will never accurately predict what your team will do.

I actually just saw Wilson on Jon Grudens QB Camp show.

Came away very excited about this kid. :thumbsup:

I agree. Schneider just admitted that the two players that Seattle had to have were Irvin and Wilson. High praise for this kid and I think justifiably so. I won't be suprosed to see the Hawks go with Flynn, Wilson and Portis this year and kick Tarvaris to the curb.

Being 12th Man is a wasted abortion.

You remind me of a narrator from any Edgar Allan Poe short story.

Conclusion:

You are not a scout or a NFL talent evaluator. You will NEVER be able to acurately predict what any NFL team will do over an entire draft beacuse you simply are not privy to all the information they have. John Schneider just admitted on Sirius NFL radio that Barron, Kuechly, and Irvin were the top 3 defensive players on their board. Which means even though all the "experts" said the Hawks were going DE in round one, had Mark Barron been there at their pick, he would have been taken because Schnieder believes in staying true to the board.

Just enjoy the draft and stop wasting your life spending countless hours on some silly little draft board that will never accurately predict what your team will do.

You're a bit wet behind the ears, but when the Seahawk fans at this site spent 5 years ripping Tim Ruskell's ability to evaluate and draft players, there were people like you that were apologists and said the same uninformed crap that we could not possibly evaluate talent as well as the front office. Really? Turns out, we were all right. Just about every single time. And people like you stopped coming around.

Whether you like it, or don't like it, learn to love it, because my evaluation skills are the best thing going today. I'm the greatest human being to ever walk the face of the earth.

:rolleyes: Ok where to start?

1- You can't grade a draft class without having seen the players perfom at the pro level. I know your idol Mel Kiper does this, but it's foolish. Let's watch thse players perfom and then in 2-3 years we can look back and decide whether this was or was not a successful draft class. Sheesh!

2- How many colege games did you attend for scouting purposes? My guess is none.

3- How many players did you personally work out? My guess is none.

4- How many players did you personally interview? My guess is none.

Conclusion:

:rolleyes: Says the guy evaluating every opinion in this thread. Keep the Kiper jokes coming though, hilarious stuff!

:rolleyes: Says the guy evaluating every opinion in this thread. Keep the Kiper jokes coming though, hilarious stuff!

I'm ripping uniformed opinions. I mean do you really think these miniKipers evaluate players as in depth as the Seahawks scouting department? I mean we see how badly NFL teams whiff on players and these guys have huge scouting departments, huge budgets, and are at this 12 months a year. Have your opinion just don't tel me your draft BOARD is the reason why the Seahawks had a bad draft :rolleyes:

I'm ripping uniformed opinions.

I think the new Seattle uniforms are quite lovely.

You're a bit wet behind the ears, but when the Seahawk fans at this site spent 5 years ripping Tim Ruskell's ability to evaluate and draft players, there were people like you that were apologists and said the same uninformed crap that we could not possibly evaluate talent as well as the front office. Really? Turns out, we were all right. Just about every single time. And people like you stopped coming around.

Whether you like it, or don't like it, learn to love it, because my evaluation skills are the best thing going today. I'm the greatest human being to ever walk the face of the earth.

Listen up Fortunato, you only bang your chest on Ruskell's whiffs, which were many now that we can look back and adequatley address the success of his draft classes. If you disagreed with him and the player was successful you simply clam up and move on. You are not accountable to anyone so if you whiff no one will ever know.

I'm ripping uniformed opinions. I mean do you really think these miniKipers evaluate players as in depth as the Seahawks scouting department? I mean we see how badly NFL teams whiff on players and these guys have huge scouting departments, huge budgets, and are at this 12 months a year. Have your opinion just don't tel me your draft BOARD is the reason why the Seahawks had a bad draft :rolleyes:

Ripping uninformed opinions by posting your own?

Solid job so far.

Listen up Fortunato, you only bang your chest on Ruskell's whiffs, which were many now that we can look back and adequatley address the success of his draft classes. If you disagreed with him and the player was successful you simply clam up and move on. You are not accountable to anyone so if you whiff no one will ever know.

I guess you missed the past couple of years where I posted the picks made in prior years and my thoughts at the time, my thoughts right now, and whether I was correct or not. I admit when I was wrong. I acknowledge when I was ambivalent to a pick. And I sure as hell point out when I was right. I'm accountable to myself, and I hold my rather big feet to the fire. And you know what having big feet means, right? I have a rather large, turgid piece.

I tuned out for a couple of days but heard the same thing on the radio that was pointed out earlier in this thread. There's even a story line up on NFL.com about how the Jets joking called the Hawks and chided them because the Hawks got Irvin 1 pick ahead of where the Jets were going to grab him. Who know's if it's true or not? :dunno: I also took a peek at him and would agree, good lord the guy gets off the line fast, reminds me of Javon Kearse when he was first hitting the league, just noticably quicker than the guys he's up against. I'm not sure you can waste a midlle 1st pick on a guy who is situational by nature, but if they can teach him to play the run and become a more all around defensive player, it might not be a bad pick afterall. I don't give a crap what Kiper says, he's the same guy who labled Jamarcus Russell a can't miss prospect...but I'm going to temper my criticism of the pick for a while until his game develops a bit more.

I tuned out for a couple of days but heard the same thing on the radio that was pointed out earlier in this thread. There's even a story line up on NFL.com about how the Jets joking called the Hawks and chided them because the Hawks got Irvin 1 pick ahead of where the Jets were going to grab him. Who know's if it's true or not? :dunno: I also took a peek at him and would agree, good lord the guy gets off the line fast, reminds me of Javon Kearse when he was first hitting the league, just noticably quicker than the guys he's up against. I'm not sure you can waste a midlle 1st pick on a guy who is situational by nature, but if they can teach him to play the run and become a more all around defensive player, it might not be a bad pick afterall. I don't give a crap what Kiper says, he's the same guy who labled Jamarcus Russell a can't miss prospect...but I'm going to temper my criticism of the pick for a while until his game develops a bit more.

Here's a link to that story: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/18881295

Basically saying that some other teams (ie Jets, 49ers, etc) were also interested in Bruce Irvin ("arguably the hottest player in the whole draft the past week").

Here's a link to that story: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/18881295

Basically saying that some other teams (ie Jets, 49ers, etc) were also interested in Bruce Irvin ("arguably the hottest player in the whole draft the past week").

The problem is not that we picked him in the first. If he's a stud, I don't care where we picked him really. The position was the right choice too. Plus we gained picks for him before he was picked even.

The problem is can he play every down some day for us? Is his value "as a player" worth a high first round pick?

Why spend a top 15 pick on a 1 down player if he is to weak to play DE?

A 1 down player has bust written all over it.

IF he can play against the run, learn some additional moves, and gain power then this pick will be sweet. That's the question though? He looks weak at the point of attack and gets pushed way to wide on the outside. Or down right man handled on other plays.

D. Freeny can go outside, inside, bull rush guy's, or spin on you. Right now, Irvin just goes outside with his speed and gets off quicker then his defender. So basically he's won on those plays. That might not happen as much in the Pro's.

But, he is very very fast no doubt about it.

In College, they tried to make him an every down player and he couldn't do it. That's a red flag to me. His off field stuff is another red flag. In the Pro's, once they man him up and take away his speed there is potential bust/or a liability.

Carrol will hopefully put him in the right situations to succeed though. He's great at that, so I feel good.

Irvin has huge upside though! He needs to gain power and run support to be a great player. Something that probably could be added. The speed, motor, and attitude are all there. He is an exciting pick at least. Team speed has been achieved.

Hopefully, he can do it at the Pro level and be a every down player. We will see.

I nominate J.R. Sweezy to be named to the 2012 NFL Draft All-Name Team.

Easy Peasy Lemon Sweezy.

I don't know, Scruggs and Toomer are pretty fun to say too.

I guess you missed the past couple of years where I posted the picks made in prior years and my thoughts at the time, my thoughts right now, and whether I was correct or not. I admit when I was wrong. I acknowledge when I was ambivalent to a pick. And I sure as hell point out when I was right. I'm accountable to myself, and I hold my rather big feet to the fire. And you know what having big feet means, right? I have a rather large, turgid piece.

I predicted Peyton Manning would be better than Ryan Leaf and that he would have a hall of fame career. Talk about spot on!

With us drafting Wilson I figured they wouldn't be interested. He could turn into a real nice backup for Stafford though.

Flynn starts, TJax is the backup and Portis or Wilson (who gets the edge) fight it out for 3rd string. the loser should stick around on the practice squad.

Next year Jackson walks, and either Portis or Wilson move up to 2nd string.

Seems like it's been forever since Seattle had some upside at the QB position.

Matt Flyn, TJax, Portis and Wilson is upside? Wow, I'm sorry for you guys.

Matt Flyn, TJax, Portis and Wilson is upside? Wow, I'm sorry for you guys.

You're 25% incorrect. TJax isn't upside or downside. He's flatside. He's the prototypical replacement-level QB. At any given time, roughly half the QBs in the league will play worse, and half will play better.

Flynn and Wilson are upside. Portis is a question mark but I'm a glass half full kind of guy. :headbanger:

FWIW, Football Outsiders did a quantitative study on QBs who put up the kind of numbers that Flynn put up against the Lions last year and found that almost without exception, there are no QBs who ultimately turn out to be mediocre who ever had even one game like that. In other words, if he did that, even on a small sample size, he's basically in the company of Pro Bowlers, not mediocre QBs. That sounds like upside to me.

I don't know, Scruggs and Toomer are pretty fun to say too.

True.

I don't need to point out that I am very, very disappointed we did not get UDFA Jose Gumbs out of Monmouth University.

Scruggs, Gumbs, Toomer and Sweezy. If ever there was a law firm run by good ol' boys, this is it.

You're 25% incorrect. TJax isn't upside or downside. He's flatside. He's the prototypical replacement-level QB. At any given time, roughly half the QBs in the league will play worse, and half will play better.

Flynn and Wilson are upside. Portis is a question mark but I'm a glass half full kind of guy. :headbanger:

FWIW, Football Outsiders did a quantitative study on QBs who put up the kind of numbers that Flynn put up against the Lions last year and found that almost without exception, there are no QBs who ultimately turn out to be mediocre who ever had even one game like that. In other words, if he did that, even on a small sample size, he's basically in the company of Pro Bowlers, not mediocre QBs. That sounds like upside to me.

Perhaps. That isn't allowing for variables such as the fact that flynn had the keys to a high octane offense with lots of weapons.

Still, I'm not hating. I hope he works out for you. I like Russell Wilson too. Funny yall got two QB's from wisconsin in the same year.

I know that TBBOM is pointing it out as well, but anybody can drive fast when put behind the wheel of a Ferrari. I'd throw for quite a few yards in that offense. Seattle's offense isn't anywhere near that. Flynn will be good, but he won't get anywhere near his average from those couple of games in GB in ANY single game this year, even if he plays all 16 of them. He'll likely end up around the middle of the pack but the Seahawks will show improvement on the whole. He's more Billy Volek than he he is Aaron Rodgers.