Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2017 Masters Thread**

The opening tee shot for the Masters is now just one month away, so Masters 2017 will soon be upon us...for a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. Here are my initial top ten favorites for this year as has been done for several years now. List may change a bit leading up to the event. Should be a great tournament!

Top Ten:

1. Brandt Snedeker- Sneds has contended at Augusta several times before. He appears to be rounding into form for a run at finally winning. In a place where putting is premium, it's thus no surprise to find him near the top of many lists.

2. Jordan Spieth- Another great putter who has finished top-two at Augusta now three years in a row. Spieth is probably going to win more than one green jacket. Could it happen again this soon?

3. Dustin Johnson- Putting Johnson outside of the top three at any major this year is probably a bad idea. SImply playing too well to not be this high...at least.

4. Tyrrell Hatton- Another seriously good putter, Hatton seems to arrive at a comfort level with new courses quickly. Part of a wave of good young European golfers right now.

5. Henrik Stenson- Stenson is gearing up for Augusta with a number of tournaments in a row after a long lay-off. I think he'll make a run if the putter holds up.

6. Paul Casey- Quietly finished fourth last year and continues to play well every tournament that he's in. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Casey found a way to pick off one of the four majors this year.

7. Jon Rahm- Much like Johnson, only a fool would leave Rahm off a top ten list at any tournament right now given what he's shown of late. The chances of Rahm winning a major this year are getting less slim each and every week.

8. Hideki Matsuyama- Probably would have topped this list a month ago. Recent struggles are a bit concerning, but one good showing prior to Augusta will likely vault him back up the list.

9. Daniel Berger- Another piece of the emerging youth movement. Could have put Justin Thomas here, but opted for Berger instead with Thomas struggling with his swing in Mexico a bit on the last day.

10. Bernhard Langer- Why not? The guy is incredible.

Players outside of my top ten who still have a very legitimate shot at winning: Jason Day, Rickie Fowler, Sergio Garcia, Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson, Justin Rose, Justin Thomas, Jimmy Walker, Gary Woodland.

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2017, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Kevin Chappell, Branden Grace, J.B. Holmes, Kevin Kisner, Russell Knox, Brooks Koepka, Ryan Moore, Louis Oosthuzien, Scott Piercy, Patrick Reed, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, Danny Willett.

Young, exciting players with little Masters experience, but tons of game: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Tommy Fleetwood, Emiliano Grillo, Alex Noren, Thomas Pieters, Brendan Steele, Hudson Swafford.

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Jason Dufner, Bill Haas, Charley Hoffman, Zach Johnson, Martin Kaymer, Matt Kuchar, Shane Lowry, Francesco Molinari, Kevin Na, Charl Schwartzel, Webb Simpson, Jhonathan Vegas, Lee Westwood.

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Byeong-Hun-An, Angel Cabrera, Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Roberto Castro, Jim Furyk, James Hahn, Mackenzie Hughes, Billy Hurley III, Yuta Ikeda, Si-Woo Kim, Soren Kjeldsen, William McGirt, Sean O'Hair, Pat Perez, Steve Stricker, Brian Stuard, Andy Sullivan, Daniel Summerhays, Bernd Wiesberger, Chris Wood, Tiger Woods.

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Fred Couples, Ernie Els, Trevor Immelman, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Mark O'Meara, Jose Maria Olazabal, Rod Pampling, Vijay Singh, Mike Weir.

Not playing due to injury: None (so far)

Okay I know you are semi joking but langer as a top 10 over rose, rory, phil?

If you want to put him in that next grouping I wouldn't bat an eye but cmooonnnn mannnn

If you want to put him in that next grouping I wouldn't bat an eye but cmooonnnn mannnn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_-nppBAuw

He was in third as the final round began last year. But, you're right....if I was forced to bet Rory or Langer to win, of course I go with Rory. Rory has a legit shot at winning. Langer has a legit shot at a low-end top 10 finish. His inclusion is an acknowledgment of that.

Ed...based on these rankings, approve Fumble's SpEdex Cup applications.. STAT!!

j/k With what we saw a taste of last weekend, the Majors are gonna be a blast to watch this year.

Found out something cool yesterday at my nieces bday party. My BIL and my nephew are going to Jupiter Florida next weekend to play golf with Ricky Fowler (who is my nephews favorite golfer). So I'm pulling for him to win.

This is the 25 year since arguably the greatest break in Masters history - Couples' par save on #12.. I look for him to find a spark of glory and he and Mike Weir will be in the last group battling it out Sunday. :banana:

I placed these bets in January so odds will have changed.

Lee Westwood +9000

Rafa Cabrera Bello +10000

Matt Kucha +6600

Danny Willett +6600

Brandt Snedeker +6600

Brooks Koepka +5000

• Like 1

I placed these bets in January so odds will have changed.

Lee Westwood +9000

Rafa Cabrera Bello +10000

Matt Kucha +6600

Danny Willett +6600

Brandt Snedeker +6600

Brooks Koepka +5000

I like Westwood and Sneds for sure, especially at those numbers. Actually, all of these are pretty good numbers. Koepka been playing like lately but still.

This is the 25 year since arguably the greatest break in Masters history - Couples' par save on #12.. I look for him to find a spark of glory and he and Mike Weir will be in the last group battling it out Sunday. :banana:

Greatest break IMO was in 1958 final round Arnold Palmer making double-bogey at 12th after unfavorable ruling (ball only half embedded so no relief) then played a provisional, making a 3. Was logged a 5 until the 15th hole then he was given the 3. Ken Venturi was rightfully p!ssed. Two shot swing eventually gave Palmer the jacket.

All good except Keopka and willet

Wait a minute

Is someone saying the greatest break was not Larry Mize??

Not playing due to injury: None (so far)

Placeholder for Tiger Woods...

• Like 1

Wait a minute

Is someone saying the greatest break was not Larry Mize??

Mize's shot was lucky sure, lucky it went in.. But it was also a masterfully skilled execution of an up-and down.. The way he bumped that ball into the green, trickled it down there? It was brilliant... Had that ball not gone in, it still would of ended up about 3 feet from the hole.... Still would of played more golf, but it was overall an artistic gem......... Couples' shot was poor, he fanned it short side and got a break nobody had ever seen on 12 before.

This is Sergio's year. Buenos Noches.

0 for 73 majors,

0 for 18 masters with 1 top 5

this is the year?

0 for 73 majors,

this is the year?

If I had to pick - I'd take Serg over Kooch or Sneds to ever win a major.

0 for 73 majors,

this is the year?

Write it down!

Write it down!

written

A lot of new names I hadn't heard of. There must be a lot of new up and coming talent.

This is Sergio's year. Buenos Noches.

Hell yeah. When I was young and it was briefly Tiger vs Sergio I didnt like Sergio at all. But over the last handful of year I have really rooted for him to win a big one.

Mize's shot was lucky sure, lucky it went in.. But it was also a masterfully skilled execution of an up-and down.. The way he bumped that ball into the green, trickled it down there? It was brilliant... Had that ball not gone it, it still would of ended up about 3 feet from the hole.... Still would of played more golf, but it was overall an artistic gem......... Couples' shot was poor, he fanned it short side and got a break nobody had ever seen on 12 before.

You th8nk it trickled in? I always thought it was going well past the hole

You th8nk it trickled in? I always thought it was going well past the hole

Well, trickled is prolly a poor choice of word.. But it was feeding down, rather nicely in fact. It was going to be a rather routine par putt coming back.

Another monumental break I remember came in our '98 Open at Olympic Club... Actually, Lee Janzen got 2 ridiculous breaks that day that helped him go on to break Payne's (and America's) heart... On the 5th hole Janzen's ball landed in a Cypress Tree, he was facing a sure double. As he was headed back to re-tee, his ball fell out - he went on to make a crazy ass par.. Then later, Janzen hooked his tee ball on a par 3 into a nasty ass bank - was looking at bogey at least.. Instead of staying up in the junk, the ball ricocheted off the hill and to about 5 feet from the hole - went on to make the putt for birdie... Freaking unbelievable turn of events.

No bryson dechambeau? He not qualify?

Deshamblow

No bryson dechambeau? He not qualify?

First, learn stand. Then, learn fly. Major rule, Daniel-son.

Deshamblow

He's gotten away from the basic fundamentals of playing good old fashion golf.. All this physics based, scientific shiit has focked up his game, and his head... That new putting style stuff was a train wreck waiting to happen - and it did.

I must of lost a year i know he was low amateur there

Who still hasn't qualified for The Masters?
Ian Poulter: Currently the World No. 202, Poulter has admitted his PGA Tour status is relying on borrowed time. The chances of him making the Augusta invitation list rests on winning one of the final four tournaments - but it looks like he may just miss out for the first time since 2006.
Luke Donald: The former World No.1 is currently 88th in the World rankings and is on track to miss his second Masters in a row. Last year he took to Instagram to explain the disappointent he felt about not being there, but if he doesn't either win or move back in to the top 50 in the World by March 27th, he'll miss out for the second year in a row.
Bryson DeChambeau: The low amatuer from last year's Masters has had a mixed transition from amatuer to professional. It's been a difficult start to the year for Dechambeau, who has hit headlines for his disagreements with the USGA regarding his attempt to introduce an unconventional putting style. He's gone back to a normal set-up, but his game hasn't improved. He's not made a cut since January and will have to find form quickly if he wants to tee up in Augusta.
Smylie Kaufman: Despite being part of the final pairing of the 2016 Masters, Smylie Kaufman shot nine-over-par and ended up tied for 29th, consequently missing out on automatic qualification to this years event. Currently he sits at number 149 in the World rankings, and needs a win to guarantee his spot alongside the rest of the SB2K16 squad (Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler).
Kevin Streelman: Streelman won the Par-3 competition in 2015, but two years later he finds himself without an invitation to be part of the field. A mixed bag of results last year means he's dropped to 134 in the World rankings, and will need to win to have another chance at the main event.
One of the big perks of securing your place in the top 50 in the World the week before the Masters is a guaranteed spot in the event, and right now there's a fight to get those last spots. As it stands, Tommy Fleetwood and Jeunghun Wang are the only other players not in the current field who would be included from this particular form of qualification - although there are numerous players that could challenge in the last couple of weeks.
Wesley Bryan, only in his first year on the PGA Tour, has had back-to-back top five finishes in his last two events, and is currently at no. 78th in the World rankings.
Meanwhile Ross Fisher's third place finish at the WGC Mexico moves him up to World No.55, while Hideto Tanihara (#57), Thongchai Jaidee (#60), Marc Leishman (#61) and Billy Horschel (#72) will all be hoping to challenge for a place in the field.

In addition, Graeme McDowell and Keegan Bradley are no longer exempt based on past major championship status. Both are currently on the outside looking in as well.

Keegan Bradley

talk about your lucky wins.

Well, trickled is prolly a poor choice of word.. But it was feeding down, rather nicely in fact. It was going to be a rather routine par putt coming back.

i was too young to have seen it live but every highlight i've ever seen it looks to me like that misses the hole and its going off the green and into the water

talk about your lucky wins.

In terms of how he won it, yes...Dufner had the thing pretty well wrapped up. But, Keegan was a good enough player to win a major. He also has won a WGC and been a stellar Ryder Cup performer. There are plenty of major winners who have less overall game than he does.

In terms of how he won it, yes...Dufner had the thing pretty well wrapped up. But, Keegan was a good enough player to win a major. He also has won a WGC and been a stellar Ryder Cup performer. There are plenty of major winners who have less overall game than he does.

there are also far better players that have never won a major

there are also far better players that have never won a major

No doubt. FAR better. Good point.

Ranking the 10 worst golfers to win a recent major championship

From 2013

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/ranking-the-10-worst-golfers-to-win-a-recent-major-championship/

10. Steve Jones, 1996 U.S. Open
It's difficult placing a guy like Jones, who has won eight times on tour, on a list of "worst" golfers. But when it comes to major champions, he's certainly near the bottom. Jones has finished in the top 10 in a major just three times, and he's been south of the cut line 13 times.
9. Ian Baker-Finch, 1991 British Open
Baker-Finch entered the international golf world with promise and didn't disappoint, winning his first professional tournament. But Baker-Finch was less successful on the PGA Tour, winning just twice and never recapturing the glory of the '91 Open Championship. He missed 10 consecutive cuts in majors from 1994-96, and withdrew from the '97 British Open after firing an opening 92. He retired shortly thereafter.
8. Wayne Grady, 1990 PGA Championship
Surprisingly, Grady was nearly a two-time major championship winner. The Australian lost to Mark Calcavecchia in a four-hole playoff at the '89 British Open, then came back the following year to win the PGA. It was all downhill from there. Grady never won again on tour and finished in the top 10 of a major just once in the next 15 years.
7. Larry Mize, 1987 Masters
Luck was very kind to Larry Mize. In the 1987 Masters, Mize, an Augusta native, was locked up with famously unlucky Aussie Greg Norman in a playoff. On the second playoff hole, Mize chipped in from off the green for birdie, securing the victory.
Mize has missed the cut at the Masters 13 times since that shot.
6. Todd Hamilton, 2004 British Open
Todd Hamilton, to date, has appeared in 32 major championships. He has made the cut 16 times. He has one top 10, which came in the '04 Open Championship, when he defeated Ernie Els in a playoff. Hamilton hasn't won on tour since.
5. Michael Campbell, 2005 U.S. Open
Campbell, the most-recent winner on the list, has had varying levels of success all over the world. He's won 15 times in all and was named the 2005 European Tour Player of the Year after a magical season. On the PGA Tour, though, he's won just once, at the '05 U.S. Open ahead of Tiger Woods. Of note: He's 0-for-10 in cuts made at the Masters.
4. Rich Beem, 2002 PGA Championship
Coming into the '02 PGA, Beem had only won twice on tour. Now he's won three times in all and has only made the cut in 12-of-31 majors. He did win a Nissan Altima once with a hole-in-one, so that's nice.
3. Paul Lawrie, 1999 British Open
Lawrie was the recipient of the Claret Jug in '99 largely thanks to a human self-destructing on live television in front of millions of people around the world. Lawrie's third-round 76 left him 10 strokes back of Jean van de Velde, who eventually choked away the championship on the 18th hole at Carnoustie. He has never won in America, and hasn't been all that successful elsewhere. His best finish in a major since his win came in 2012, when he tied for 24th at the Masters.
2. Orville Moody, 1969 U.S. Open
The late Orville Moody is popularly considered to be the least-successful golfer to win a major, given that his victory at the U.S. Open was his only career win in 266 starts. It should be noted, however, that a chunk of Moody's would-be career was spent in the military, where he served 14 years. Somewhat stunning, still, that Moody won a major championship ahead of the likes of Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, and Arnold Palmer.
1. Shaun Micheel, 2003 PGA Championship
Ironic that our worst player to win a major label goes to a guy that hit one of the most clutch shots in major championship history.

i was too young to have seen it live but every highlight i've ever seen it looks to me like that misses the hole and its going off the green and into the water

Oh no, not at all.. It for sure was going to end up past the hole - but left in a great spot. He would of had a 3-5 footer, straight up the hill.. But I have heard stories told over the years. Some, you'd think he skull focked it at Mach 2 - hitting the stick, jumping 8 feet into the air, and in the hole.

Ranking the 10 worst golfers to win a recent major championship

From 2013

Campbell, the most-recent winner on the list, has had varying levels of success all over the world. He's won 15 times in all and was named the 2005 European Tour Player of the Year after a magical season. On the PGA Tour, though, he's won just once, at the '05 U.S. Open ahead of Tiger Woods. Of note: He's 0-for-10 in cuts made at the Masters.

For my money, Campbell's win was the most ridiculous... It was in our Open, on famed Pinehurst, in the most difficult tournament on the planet to win - getting chased by TW.. Then he disappeared like a fart in the wind.

I would of included Trevor Immelman's Master win on this list over Steve Jones. Jones was actually a great player, his career was derailed by a really bad dirt bike accident... He played with a really tricked up grip after that.