Sign in to follow this  
mobb_deep

Social Media ripping apart the social fabric of how society works...

And we didn't need to wear neon and parachute pants in the 80's, but most of us did. Kids want to fit in.

and wore them proudly!

This hits home for me. I brutally picked on a special needs kid that was in a cooking class with me. I think it was senior year, I was taking it just for credits (I got kicked out of the class for picking on the sped) Just think, it was cooking class, imagine the sh1t I had at my disposal to use. Why did I do it? Fock if I know. Sucks to even remember I did it. I am not in anyway okay with picking on someone for being different. (like the kid in your post) or any other kid. but picking on a kid for his hair cut, or something fixable, WTF, let kids be kids.

Was his name McLovin?

So bullied kids shouldn't have social media so they can't get bullied more.

You realize how stupid that sounds right?

The problem isn't the social media it's how it's being used.

:wacko:

if a kid is being picked on for wearing a pink turtle neck to school, think it's a good idea to wear fluorescent green the next day?

Was his name McLovin?

his nickname was balls, no idea why and can;t remember what his real name was

Absolutely agree.

You can trace our current demise back to pretty much the exact time that social media and super impressive smart phones became commonplace. No way thats a coincidence.

:wacko:

if a kid is being picked on for wearing a pink turtle neck to school, think it's a good idea to wear fluorescent green the next day?

So he should change his clothing of what he wants to wear so it fits what a few bullies want?

And he shouldn't use social media because the bullies might be on there so he doesn't get access to it?

What a weird mental process you have for this.

heart breaking? :wall:

it's no different than it was in 1990. only different are the snowflakes being picked on.

People committed suicide due to bullying in the 90s... we just didnt have the means necessary to share it like we do today.

Now with social media and kids having phones at younger ages they can't get away from it like we could. It's much more vicious and much more anonymous.

Sure they can... Stay off of social media, read a book, go outside, etc... It isn't that difficult...

What's the diff? between now and then?

As I understand, its that kids feel like they cant escape it now. With social media, texting etc its 24/7.

Not like you go to school, get stuffed in the locker and go home. Youre stuffed in that locker over and over again no matter where you are.

Now that said... put down the focking phone. Delete social media. Block some people. Seems like a very easy fix but apparently for these kids thats their whole social life now. They literally dont think they can do that and will be ostracized from society if they try.

Before you scoff, remember: none of us grew up with this sh1t. The youngest Geek here didnt have a smart phone til they were in high school

So he should change his clothing of what he wants to wear so it fits what a few bullies want?

And he shouldn't use social media because the bullies might be on there so he doesn't get access to it?

What a weird mental process you have for this.

mental process = common sense.

don't like something, change it.

all the gay kids in high school where I went, got picked on so much. gay wasn't even a thing in the 80s and early 90s, why did they get picked on? for mostly dressing like fools and asking for it. if they dressed normal, no one would have noticed them. They dressed like that for a multitude of reasons, I get it. hated their parents, whatever it was. dont like being picked on? cry to momma or do something about it

This hits home for me. I brutally picked on a special needs kid that was in a cooking class with me. I think it was senior year, I was taking it just for credits (I got kicked out of the class for picking on the sped) Just think, it was cooking class, imagine the sh1t I had at my disposal to use. Why did I do it? Fock if I know. Sucks to even remember I did it. I am not in anyway okay with picking on someone for being different. (like the kid in your post) or any other kid. but picking on a kid for his hair cut, or something fixable, WTF, let kids be kids.

There was a black girl that went to a pretty much all white private school I went to. 7th grade I think and she had acne, little bumps all over her forehead. Like ALL over. One day at lunch we were in line to get snacks and I was talking to my buddy and she was behind us and I turned around and started rubbing her forehead gently. She asked what I was doing and I said I'm reading braille.

WTF?? What kinda little would do that to someone. Unbelievably cruel and I'm ashamed. I do believe in karma though because years later and through graduation my skin exploded, bad enough to go to the dermatologist and it never did clear up until I was damn near 21.

mental process = common sense.

don't like something, change it.

all the gay kids in high school where I went, got picked on so much. gay wasn't even a thing in the 80s and early 90s, why did they get picked on? for mostly dressing like fools and asking for it. if they dressed normal, no one would have noticed them. They dressed like that for a multitude of reasons, I get it. hated their parents, whatever it was. dont like being picked on? cry to momma or do something about it

I'm not even going to bother addressing your diatribe. Pretty obvious from everyone else's responses nobody agrees with you.

Pretty stupid and far from common sense to ask bullied kids to change who they are what they wear how they act just because a few jackasses can't stop running their mouth.

There was a black girl that went to a pretty much all white private school I went to. 7th grade I think and she had acne, little bumps all over her forehead. Like ALL over. One day at lunch we were in line to get snacks and I was talking to my buddy and she was behind us and I turned around and started rubbing her forehead gently. She asked what I was doing and I said I'm reading braille.

WTF?? What kinda little ###### would do that to someone. Unbelievably cruel and I'm ashamed. I do believe in karma though because years later and through graduation my skin exploded, bad enough to go to the dermatologist and it never did clear up until I was damn near 21.

Yeah that's cool. afriCANsize?

Yeah that's cool. afriCANsize?

Honestly in the 7th grade she was about the only one with titts and they were quite perky.

As I understand, its that kids feel like they cant escape it now. With social media, texting etc its 24/7.

I do not have kids but my friend says if he takes his kids phone or Facebook (or whatever they use now) away they lose all their friends. They do not call each other they just group text where they are all meeting or what they are doing when. If he has no phone or social media access they do not bother letting him know a different way. He is just excluded.

I call BS. Go back 75 years and there will be people complaining about FM radio and how it will destroy society.

They will be even more concerned about time machines.

I got rid of my facebook 2-3 years ago. That was the only social media I had. Didnt really need it nor wanted it anymore.

I agree that it is doing something to the youth.

It definitely is having a huge impact on society.

Here in china its hilarious. You go out to a nice restaurant, and couples will sit there tapping on their phones the entire time. The only time they even acknowledge each other is to take a smiley selfie when the food comes, post it to WeChat or weibo, and go back to what they are doing.

The only one I have is Facebook. I try to make a point to use it well. Meaning only for communicating and sharing pictures with family. I also am in a few local expat groups there, which is useful sometimes to hear about events and such.

No politics over there. Thats what this dump is for.

People say and do things on social media they would never say or do in public and it is very easy to join in.

That is a large part of the problem.

Facebook has made me understand how stupid the majority of people are. Jesus is not going to doom you to hell if you scroll past a photo of him without sharing it.

Facebook needs to give you the option of ignoring everything that is shared, everything that isn't posted by someone you directly know, and you should be able to filter out posts with keywords (ie:Trump, Obama).

People say and do things on social media they would never say or do in public and it is very easy to join in.

That is a large part of the problem.

That's an Internet thing. Just look at this place.

Facebook has made me understand how stupid the majority of people are. Jesus is not going to doom you to hell if you scroll past a photo of him without sharing it.

Facebook needs to give you the option of ignoring everything that is shared, everything that isn't posted by someone you directly know, and you should be able to filter out posts with keywords (ie:Trump, Obama).

98% won't reply to this....share if you're brave enough.

Fuuuuhhhhkkinngg hate those.

That's an Internet thing. Just look at this place.

Well yeah but imagine if we all were family, neighbors and coworkers. How that could ruin those relationships.

Facebook is just that. The Geek club but people actually know each other.

Gross.

98% won't reply to this....share if you're brave enough.

Fuuuuhhhhkkinngg hate those.

Only 1 out of 1 billion people can get this question correct:

(7 x 4) - 6 = ???????

But the filters are already part of the problem. Everyone lives in a giant echo chamber now

Only 1 out of 1 billion people can get this question correct:

(7 x 4) - 6 = ???????

My Dear Aunt Sally. :)

Well yeah but imagine if we all were family, neighbors and coworkers. How that could ruin those relationships.

Facebook is just that. The Geek club but people actually know each other.

Gross.

Ive unfollowed all the people who constantly post politics crap. I either side.

I wish there was a way you could just filter out the politics and keep the non political posts. My mom is becoming a bit of a Facebook political troll these days.