Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

Taking the Family to Disney World

Good plan.

While it is a bit of a drive, on the flex day look into Kennedy Space Center, it is well worth the trip and cost, and you can head down to Cocoa Beach, which is fun as well.

We did the swimming with the manatee's in tampa once, it was meh....

Gatoland is also an interesting side trip as well

I actually have an open invitation to visit KSC from some of people who work there. They needed a new blast protected vehicle to transport astronauts when they start manned launches again and I help them pick a vehicle and I had my site repair it.

hmmm.... that's not a bad idea.

When the gates open, everyone heads to the first things they see. Go to the back of the park and there will be no lines. By the time you work your way to the front of the park the crowds will back at the back.

Try the grey stuff. Its delicious

Seriously though, Id go just for the dam food. Thats all I want to do while Im there.

Went to Canobie Lake up in Salem NH last Monday, the weather was iffy, but we went.

There were literally less than 100 people in the entire park. It was incredible. No lines for anything, not even the roller coaster. Ended up being great weather too.

Good plan.

While it is a bit of a drive, on the flex day look into Kennedy Space Center, it is well worth the trip and cost, and you can head down to Cocoa Beach, which is fun as well.

Pretty sure Kennedy Space Center imploded the gantries after all these decades.

Good plan.

Cocoa Beach is awesome. Went there for a baseball tourney. Really nice and good beaches.

Tuesday - EpCOT

Test Track - FP

Living with the Land - FP

Mission: Space - FP

Journey into Imagination - FP

Turtle talk with Crush

check out the aquarium

Try and get on Soarin, Spaceship Earth

Extra magic hours in the evening

Thursday - Animal Kingdom

Kilimanjaro - FP

Meet Mickey - FP

Everest - FP

Lunch - Tusker House

Na'vi River - FP

Flight of Passage - FP

Never been to AK so we will play it by ear. I would like to see the bird show and a few other things

Tuesday - Hollywood Studios

Rock n roller coaster

Alien Swirling Saucers

Star tours

Lunch - 50's prime time

Dinner - Mama Melrose getting the Fantasmic dinner show

Good plan.

For Epcot...we stayed til the fireworks were about to start (and kids didn't care about seeing them all that much)...so we hit soarin at the end of the day. Almost no wait, and when it was over they asked if we wanted to stay seated and do it again. It may not always work out that way and the standby lines during the day are long. But if they don't care about the firework show there...thats a great time to hit it. We typically fast pass that, and hit test track first thing to start the day without a fast pass. But just a heads up on the end of the day soarin possibilities.

AK...good plan, especially to make sure you do flights of passage, its awesome. I have not looked back to see the ages of your kids...Everest, you can easily do first thing on stand by pretty fast. And then usually have time to hit your safari on fast pass. Also, depending on the age of your son and he doesn't mind riding right next to you (if its not the first time on that ride), the single rider line moves pretty fast. We did that for several rides this year because the kids wanted to ride it more and the standby line was huge.

The little water side show thing is pretty cool at night over by everest. In addition, while most people head out after that, single rider line on Everest is not bad at all at this point and its great to ride at night.

Hollywood Studios

Again, not sure the ages of your kids...tower of terror is awesome and can be done stand by to start unless you are trying to get to TS mania. I have not looked up how things are now with TS Land open...I imagine people will be heading back there to start their days and ToT and Rock N Roller will be easier to hit on stand by and single rider (for RnR). Mama Melroses...yum. We also had luck hitting ToT at night and with you doing fantasmic that would probably be decent timing somewhere around it. Same with TS Mania. We did ToT and then went back over to TS Mania and got right on. But we did not do fantasmic.

Have fun.

Edit...adding.

Halloween party is awesome...they will get loaded up on candy. Some rides are pretty easy to get on especially after the fireworks. If you have not done it before...that is one of the best firework shows including some moments its so lit up across the sky that its seriously bright like day light for a second. It draws a huge "oooh".

The parade before it is pretty cool too...you want to be somewhere around the circle at main street and early as people pile up fast. Seeing the headless horseman come out is pretty cool.

Disney Halloween thoughts:

- best/coolest Disney parade you will ever see, just fockin' fantastic - grave diggers with shovels and headleas horseman - excellent take.

- Trick or Treating? not so much - kind of a cattle-call chaos - everything we hate about packed buses and long lines, ignorant people, etc. it all applies to trick or treating. Lots of adults dressed up that need to be punched.

Parade watching tips:

Short version:

- find a defensible position - use vendor carts, bridges, trash barrels, etc as barriers to help prevent pushing in on your claimed space

- Main Street viewing is cool but packed. Also watch from Liberty Square Bridge or in Frontier Land.

Long Version:

Disney parades are a war of space saving and a constant battle against ignorance. No matter how early you get there, if there is a sliver of space, someone will think nothing of plopping their kid right in front of you and your kids.

We've found that standing right before the bridge that leads from Liberty Square to the Hub (enters the hub at position 10 o'clock) is fantastic.

The Bridge gives you a defensible barrier on one side and the shops behind you protect your back side. And nobody (except maybe a handicap area) is allowd on the bridge. The street narrows too as the parade goes over that bridge so if any characters are walking, they are almost guaranteed to stop and see your kids.

Here's some TD family parade footage. TD jr. loved Mickey and dressed up like Mickey... sweet jesus, that outfit was like a Golden ticket - Mickey is the King in Disney yet most kids are dressed as pirates and princesses. The STOPPED the light parade b/c Mickey and Minnie wanted to say hello to TD jr.

And, you can see in the daytime parade, that Bridge had EVERY character stopping and waving at us.

• Like 1

Disney Halloween thoughts:

- best/coolest Disney parade you will ever see, just fockin' fantastic - grave diggers with shovels and headleas horseman - excellent take.

- Trick or Treating? not so much - kind of a cattle-call chaos - everything we hate about packed buses and long lines, ignorant people, etc. it all applies to trick or treating. Lots of adults dressed up that need to be punched.

I want to go to Disney world during Halloween. Always looked cool and I love Halloween. Sea world in SA always did something for Halloween and it was awesome. Multiple haunted houses and things to do while you walked around

I want to go to Disney world during Halloween. Always looked cool and I love Halloween. Sea world in SA always did something for Halloween and it was awesome. Multiple haunted houses and things to do while you walked around

Ditto

Wife is a teacher so going during the school year is next to impossible. That's why when I saw the first Not so scary party was in August I jumped on planning this trip.

When the gates open, everyone heads to the first things they see. Go to the back of the park and there will be no lines. By the time you work your way to the front of the park the crowds will back at the back.

This is my second visit in as many years.

Typically our plan is to head straight to a class A attraction since you can only book 1 class A at a time.

BTW I had fastbpass set up for slinky dog but Disney canceled all my fast passes for that day. Probably cause I was able to trick the system into giving me bonus fp during the time before not so scary.

its going to be to hot.

You sure? Do I need a jacket?

Disney parades are a war of space saving and a constant battle against ignorance. No matter how early you get there, if there is a sliver of space, someone will think nothing of plopping their kid right in front of you and your kids.

Wow. Sounds fun.

Wow. Sounds fun.

Here's the thing about Disney. It's busy. It's packed. The sooner you accept that the better off you'll be.

People can be rude, but Disney puts on a world class experience.

Here's the thing about Disney. It's busy. It's packed. The sooner you accept that the better off you'll be.

Depends on what youre into I guess. My entire family found the whole place to be highly overrated.

Oh, I live in Asia. Theres not much I dont know about crowds of people.

Im not a fan of Disney personally. But then, Im not supposed to be, not having kids and all.

Im not a fan of Disney personally. But then, Im not supposed to be, not having kids and all.

Yeah - I wasn't either until I had kids and went with them.

The thing about Disney World is that it's not just a "thrill rides" place - the entire culture of Disney World is beyond any other "amusement park". The richness and detail in everything they do is unmatched.

Is Universal better? Sure, in some ways - it's more action-packed and thrill-rides - but even Universal's "best rides" are not just "rides" but "immersive attractions" - and that's what Disney has been doing for decades with all the Disney characters/stories/brands that are build into the fabric of American childhood.

Disney isn't a "vacation" any more than rock climbing is - but if you're informed and prepared, you'll get to do/see some really cool things at even better/higher levels than the masses.

Oh, I live in Asia. Theres not much I dont know about crowds of people.

typically, it is the foreigners that are completely ignorant about space, lines, etc - and you never know whether it's intentional and malicious or just cultural ignorance from people whose definition of personal space is far different than any american's.

typically, it is the foreigners that are completely ignorant about space, lines, etc - and you never know whether it's intentional and malicious or just cultural ignorance from people whose definition of personal space is far different than any american's.

I know. Theyre all varying degree of barbarian, the chinks being the worst.

With the advent of the Chinese tourism boom, you never hear about the ugly American anymore.

Dont underestimate fat sweaty Americans slamming your ankles with those giant strollers.

Dont underestimate fat sweaty Americans slamming your ankles with those giant strollers.

You really do hate America don't you?

• Like 1

Just sitting here waiting on the focking bus to Epcot.

I hate mass trans

Just sitting here waiting on the focking bus to Epcot.

I hate mass trans

When you finally get there, be sure to stock up on the authentic Italian and German souvenirs that were made in Taiwan.

When you finally get there, be sure to stock up on the authentic Italian and German souvenirs that were made in Taiwan.

Good tip!

Take big plastic cups and have them filled with ice for free....cold drinks all day instead of 8 dollar sodas

When you going back? I'm in orlando for work. Headed back thurs

Got back last night. Sorry I missed you.

The fam and I are still recovering from the trip. All in all we had a good time. Just a couple of observations.

End of August is Euro Trash time. So many Euros

People are focking rude. What happened to giving up your seat to pregnant women and little kids?

Mears transportation at the Hilton we stayed at for the first half of the trip, SUCKED! Super late every single time.

The Lyft minnie vans are just okay. You're better off just taking a regular lyft or uber and save the money. Speaking of which this was the first time using lyft or uber and it was super easy once you set it up. Also the people who drive are weird.

The Void Star Wars experience at Disney springs is AWESOME!

Typhoon Lagoon >>>>>>>> Blizzard beach (both where packed too which didn't help.

Toy story land is very cool but small.

Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween Party is worth the extra ticket. Do what I did, get to the park at 4. Ride rides and then go line up for anyone not named jack and Sally (3+ hour wait) Catch the fireworks then watch the Sanderson Sisters second show and then catch the final parade. You can do this back to back to back.

We did a ton of character dinners.

12 days cost me $2,234.00

Flight - Points

Hilton - Points

Shades of Green - $499 (got a special $105per night deal

Everything else (food, souvenirs, lyft, tips etc..) - $1,734

Last time I was there we went in august on a free stay at a time share.

Lets just say the pool had a greasy sheen and when you got up out the water you were covered in small hairs.

Sooooo gross.

Disney world was awesome tho.