Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Any thoughts on Kaepernick's possible destination?

Tomorrow he will be opting out of his contract, as was predicted weeks ago. My opinion (that he will provide a viable option for someone) is already on record here* - but it became a little more solidified today after reading some of the salient points in the linked article, such as:

"...All things considered, Kaepernick played well in 2016. He finished in the middle of the pack as a passer: 16th in adjusted yards per attempt, which was better than two Pro Bowl quarterbacks; 17th in QB rating; and 13th in touchdown percentage. Plus, he avoided picks, throwing 16 touchdowns against just four interceptions. And his running capability is still the best of any QB in the league. He finished second in total rushing among quarterbacks despite starting just 11 games, and posted the best yards per carry of any player with at least 50 carries."

"NFL owners might be disconcerted by Kaepernick’s activism, but the one thing they find even more disconcerting is losing. His refusal to stand for the national anthem has been called a “distraction” thousands of times, but Kaepernick didn’t cause locker-room strife — his teammates gave him a dang award. .."

https://theringer.com/colin-kaepernick-opt-out-san-francisco-49ers-nfl-3ada894805c0#.3g2j54lij

I'm looking forward to seeing him in a new situation - as well as how he reacts to a fresh venue. At the very least, it should be interesting. : )

*http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=463524&page=1&do=findComment&comment=5871580

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Cleveland

Yeah I was thinking the same, Browns or even the Dolphins.

The issue is two fold:

One: He's not that good.

Two: He comes with unnecessary attention due to this activism.

No one is going to want to sign this guy as a face of their franchise.

I say he ultimately stays with SF...but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's done in the league

He can join Johnny football next year for all I care. I hope he doesn't take another snap with the whiners. They have enough problems without him leading the team to another 2-14 season.

He ended up with decent numbers I guess. He didn't have much to throw to. Still just watching him I don't like what I see.

He isn't taking any team anywhere, he just isnt. Imo signing some over priced bum who may be ok at best is pointless. I'd rather go get some undervalued kid who has potential for development.

When has a team had success riding a middle of the pack qb? If a teams only goal is to make it into the playoffs without any realistic shot at winning a playoff game, then I guess Kaep might get them there. I still doubt it.

I would not be surprised if he ended up in the CFL because no GM is going to be willing to touch him. Then he sues the NFL because he feels blackballed.

If he wants to stay in the Bay area, I'm sure there are grocery stores always hiring. If he wants to be more hands on, there are probably carpentry, plumbing, and HVAC options available too.

Just not sure where he fits in. He's not going to start so a team will have to bring in as a backup or maybe in a situation to compete. But do you want your backup to be a distraction especially when he's going to be highly paid for a backup. Even he does stand for the national anthem. maybe that will help get him signed, who knows.

That's why I said Cleveland because it's one of the few places I could see him starting.

Where else could he end up starting?

Chicago? If they don't draft a QB and get rid of Cutler they could end up with Kaep.

NY Jets? Would it really surprise anyone if they got Kaep to start?

Jax? Outside shot but I don't see him beating out Bortles or getting along with Coughlin.

SF? I'm not sure on his contract situation but is it possible they let him go and they sign him back at a better rate?

If not a starter I think there are a handful of spots he could end up as a back up or competing for a spot.

Tomorrow he will be opting out of his contract, as was predicted weeks ago. My opinion (that he will provide a viable option for someone) is already on record here* - but it became a little more solidified today after reading some of the salient points in the linked article, such as:

"...All things considered, Kaepernick played well in 2016. He finished in the middle of the pack as a passer: 16th in adjusted yards per attempt, which was better than two Pro Bowl quarterbacks; 17th in QB rating; and 13th in touchdown percentage. Plus, he avoided picks, throwing 16 touchdowns against just four interceptions. And his running capability is still the best of any QB in the league. He finished second in total rushing among quarterbacks despite starting just 11 games, and posted the best yards per carry of any player with at least 50 carries."

"NFL owners might be disconcerted by Kaepernick’s activism, but the one thing they find even more disconcerting is losing. His refusal to stand for the national anthem has been called a “distraction” thousands of times, but Kaepernick didn’t cause locker-room strife — his teammates gave him a dang award. .."

https://theringer.com/colin-kaepernick-opt-out-san-francisco-49ers-nfl-3ada894805c0#.3g2j54lij

I'm looking forward to seeing him in a new situation - as well as how he reacts to a fresh venue. At the very least, it should be interesting. : )

*http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=463524&page=1&do=findComment&comment=5871580

Well, given the money he was making, he should have been a pro and played.

That being said, it is possible that San Fran told him they would release him and he just beat them to the punch to save face.

He will play somewhere.

I actually think he has a decent chance of doing well is in Cleveland if they can keep Pryor and not fire the HC.

but I dont know if Cleveland has any interest.

I think the Browns and Jets and Bears are the most obvious places that have an opening for a Qb.

I think the Dolphins could be a landing spot for him.

But I think he will land on another NFL team.

Kaep is 29. He came in after Smiths concussion and led the team to the superbowl, then came back next year and led the team to the NFC championship. That defense helped him plenty, but Kaep was still a talent.

Then Jed went and Yorked the team because he couldn't handle being outshined by Harbaugh, ruining team cohesion by hiring Chip and killing Kaeps confidence in the process.

I would welcome him to Chicago (because seriously any focking one but Cutler!) but he makes more sense in CLE or NYJ if he wants to start.

• Like 1

I see him denying being a muslim, in drug rehab, with his adopted parents not wanting him to come around to there gated white community because the obvious shame he brought to them. Imagine feeling like stars riding around in a golf-cart and there son offending half the neighborhood and how quickly people would treat them like the plague.

Cleveland taking Kaep is a move that makes the teams like Cleveland - well, Cleveland. Teams like this have no vision - and are career drain circling messes.

Exactly

Being a 9er fan I think they do/get what they can for him. True, he's not that good albeit being in a SB. Wherever he goes I just don't think he's franchise QB material.

Nobody will sign Kaep. Too expensive, not good, and the protesting.

GM's would rather pay a rookie less, have more upside, and no protesting.

Someone will take a shot with him.

He has at least one more opportunity coming.

Not as a starter he doesn't. There is not a single team in the NFL that will take on his baggage from the protests to sign a qb that is not even average.

Maybe not as a starter, but someone will sign him.

At least he didn't punch a woman.

At least he didn't punch a woman.

No. he just has no skills.

He as skills.

He wouldn't be playing in the NFL if he had no skills.

He has limited skills.

He as skills.

He wouldn't be playing in the NFL if he had no skills.

He has limited skills.

He is not one of the best 64 qbs available. He would fit in the 64-96 range 3rd string.

I disagree with that statement.

I disagree with that statement.

If your top guy went down you would be comfortable with him as your QB? Since they changed the read/option rules he has never been the same. Not having to worry about freezing the LB as a spy allows teams to take away his passing game.

I think he's worthy of a back up Qb postion.

And I think hes better then the Browns starter.

Namely the Browns new Qb Osweiler.

Is anyone ever comfortable when their starter goes down?

Back up Qbs are back ups for a reason.

But did you look at his number from last season , he did have good numbers on a team that was very handicap at the skill postions last season.

He is not one of the best 64 qbs available. He would fit in the 64-96 range 3rd string.

I Cannot agree with that.

I can think of at least 5 or 6 clubs where he would be a definite upgrade over whoever they have.

He put up some very good numbers in what may have been the best division in football for a couple of years.

he did it playing the seahawks, the cards, and the Rams twice each. all 3 teams may not have been top notch, but they all had good defenses even when the team as a whole wasnt that good. (specifically referring to the Rams)

I would argue that in a lesser division, Kap would have had better numbers and I'll stand by that statement.

dont get me wrong, I'm not actually a Kap Fan. But I do think he has the talent to be a #1 QB in this league. Maybe not a top end #1 QB but a #1 nonetheless.

The reason he is having trouble getting interest is because I think there is concern with his protests in some cases.

(although that doesnt bother me)

what bothers me is have you ever seen the guy talk in post game press conferences. He's not (in my opinion) a good vocal leader. He just doesn't strike me as that kinda guy. and I think there are a lot of guys with less talent than him doing more than him, and My belief is that this is one of the reasons.

Lack of leadership has killed a lot of QB careers, and he may be no exception. Maybe that means hes one of the best backups in the NFL or a low end starter. But to say he's not one of the top 64 QB's in the NFL is not a fair comment in my opinion.

• Like 1

personally.. i think its hilarious that he opted out of his SF contract that was paying him 15mil/ year to hit FA and generated zero interest so far. he'll be out of a job until a QB gets hurt and will make at most half of his SF contract.

personally.. i think its hilarious that he opted out of his SF contract that was paying him 15mil/ year to hit FA and generated zero interest so far. he'll be out of a job until a QB gets hurt and will make at most half of his SF contract.

Yeah, I am not certain of the wisdom there.

but if it is a case where San Fran was gonna release him anyways (likely) then he just beat them to the punch to save face.

It wouldnt surprise me if this is the way it actually went down. I really dont think San Fran was that keen on keeping him.

I Cannot agree with that.

I can think of at least 5 or 6 clubs where he would be a definite upgrade over whoever they have.

He put up some very good numbers in what may have been the best division in football for a couple of years.

he did it playing the seahawks, the cards, and the Rams twice each. all 3 teams may not have been top notch, but they all had good defenses even when the team as a whole wasnt that good. (specifically referring to the Rams)

I would argue that in a lesser division, Kap would have had better numbers and I'll stand by that statement.

dont get me wrong, I'm not actually a Kap Fan. But I do think he has the talent to be a #1 QB in this league. Maybe not a top end #1 QB but a #1 nonetheless.

The reason he is having trouble getting interest is because I think there is concern with his protests in some cases.

(although that doesnt bother me)

what bothers me is have you ever seen the guy talk in post game press conferences. He's not (in my opinion) a good vocal leader. He just doesn't strike me as that kinda guy. and I think there are a lot of guys with less talent than him doing more than him, and My belief is that this is one of the reasons.

Lack of leadership has killed a lot of QB careers, and he may be no exception. Maybe that means hes one of the best backups in the NFL or a low end starter. But to say he's not one of the top 64 QB's in the NFL is not a fair comment in my opinion.

If he were one of the best 64 qbs in the league he would have a job now. Simple as that. He has had no interest. No teams have brought him in. He has not been linked to anyone. His days as a number one are over and to be honest he might not even be able to latch on as a backup.

He will be.

He will be.

I agree 100%. He will be on a CFL team soon. The Texans don't even have a QB right now. They are going to go after Romo or Cutler and if ANY team could do with a QB it would be them. If he had ANY interest he would have been brought in to at least vet him and see the reaction.

If he were one of the best 64 qbs in the league he would have a job now. Simple as that. He has had no interest. No teams have brought him in. He has not been linked to anyone. His days as a number one are over and to be honest he might not even be able to latch on as a backup.

The criteria you are using is misleading. If you are to go based on that Logic, Romo (and every other unsigned free agent QB also isnt in the top 64 QB's in the NFL.

when it comes to these things, it's not just about where you rank talent wise. It's about how much money you are asking for as well.

When you consider the size of the contract he walked away from, teams are gonna be careful in terms of making offers. it's tough for a player who was making 15+ mil per year to swallow his pride and sign for 4-6 mil.

and if he is asking for the same money (15+ mil) he will be sitting for a long time because that places him in the top half of the NFL QB's salary wise and I truly dont think he is there.

Even if Kap is willing to play for 5 mil per year, one concern that teams will have is whether he will be a malcontent at that salary.

That being said, if Kap is willing to sign for 5-7 mil per year, he will play somewhere (as a starter or a backup) But it will take some times for teams to do their due diligence.

If I were signing him, I'd interview him, take him to dinner, talk about what he wants, what kind of offense he wants to play in, and make 100% sure that he's gonna want to be there. Nobody wants a malcontent on the roster, and that is the primary concern with a guy like Kap. So when it comes to signing him, teams will take their time and do the necessary due diligence.

and I figure a lot of QB's wont be signed until Romo signs somewhere first. That will likely allow teams to have a better idea of where they stand.

I guess since both Romo and Cutler are still available does that also place them on your list.

Not in the top 64?

If Cutler is sign before Kaep that in its self would be a big mistake.

romo and cutler have been linked to teams. Kaep has not had a single visit and not been linked to a single team. Which is exactly how its going to stay. He is then going to whine that he is being blackballed for his stance instead of the fact that no NFL team is going to pay a QB who's only good years came before a rule change that effectively stopped him from being the player he was.

To put what I am saying into perspective Geno Smith just signed as a backup for the Giants. Yet Kaep has not even had a team check in on him that anyone knows about.