Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Interview tips

I have an interview with 6 or 7 people coming up that will be a little more sophisticated but also probably less rigid and predictable than what I'm used to. The organization is self-management geared and spends a long time feeling out potential employees. The first interview (2 people) was pretty conversational and followed up with the Wonderlic and two personality tests. The recruiter talked with me for slightly over two hours ahead of that. This time the plan is to catch the overall company founder (job is with a foundation he founded) while he's in town and have some more of the team present.

Any tips? Anything you've felt is fairly unique to your interview style that has suited you well in moments? There's a half-way decent chance I'll be in a brain fog phase (hormonal) when it takes place. Something I can operate through in routine situations, but it can be tricky if I need to expressly have sharpness of mind. Just curious about any general, outside of the box tips though.

I havent interviewed in 25 years...I got nuttin.

I imagine being honest about your abilities and areas of improvement would help. A large group like that...someone can sniff out bs.

Im sure you have asked what they are looking for...try to emulate that.

• Like 1

When I am the interviewer I want to know if the person is actually interested in the job or just a possible pay bump. Learn about the foundation and the position and ask questions about the role you are going for.

Another one is honesty. If you don't know something, then knowledge it, maybe even point it out as a weakness. Nobody knows everything and job postings are ridiculous these days.

Look the person in the eye. Don't even blink. Let them know who the alpha is and you won't be focked with.

Understand their culture, ask questions about the people and the job responsibilities. Be yourself.

Many people are nervous and dont let their true personality show through, which is what some of those tests help with. What personality tests did they have you do? Ask to have them share the results with you so that you can better understand what they are seeing.

Mention that you're in your monthly hormonal cycle and that you can control your emotions dammit. Then excuse yourself for a bathroom break and return crying.

Then laugh it off as a "woman" thing.

Transparency is the key.

Show up 20 minutes early and take a big dump in the company bathroom first. Youll feel more relaxed. Bonus points if you walk out of the can and see the recruiter there at the sinks. She will recognize that youre an alpha who just laid claim to the joint and hire you on the spot.

• Like 1

Show up 20 minutes early and take a big dump in the company bathroom first. Youll feel more relaxed. Bonus points if you walk out of the can and see the recruiter there at the sinks. She will recognize that youre an alpha who just laid claim to the joint and hire you on the spot.

Wouldn't an Alpha just jump on the table and drop one right there? :dunno:

Wouldn't an Alpha just jump on the table and drop one right there? :dunno:

Thats second interview material right there.

For the guys that do interviews, how do you feel when a young lady is wearing a mini-skirt during the interview or has a t!t pop out?

Much better than if her d!ck falls out.

Understand their culture, ask questions about the people and the job responsibilities. Be yourself.

Many people are nervous and dont let their true personality show through, which is what some of those tests help with. What personality tests did they have you do? Ask to have them share the results with you so that you can better understand what they are seeing.

DiSC and I'm not sure what the other one was.

Had the interview on Monday. It was a second one, and there can be several interviews since employees there don't have managers. They're known for a long hiring process.

That said...really down to earth people. I came prepared with questions because that was my (self-determined) weak point in the first interview. Something I knew to have but then forgot about last minute. So this time I had several and it wound up feeling like I was interviewing them for quite a while there.

Got the job. Still processing it. Pretty excited.

Mention that you're in your monthly hormonal cycle and that you can control your emotions dammit. Then excuse yourself for a bathroom break and return crying.

Then laugh it off as a "woman" thing.

Transparency is the key.

My head did start pounding with about a third of the interview left.

My family has a problem saying the wrong words (seriously think it may be related to mold exposure) at times and I meant to say "nuts and bolts" at one point but I couldn't think of the words. My brain must have started thinking "brass tacks" instead, but the words which actually came out were "brass knuckles." Absolutely irrelevant. The gist wasn't lost though. Once I get to know someone who was in there well, I'll have to see if that was caught.

For the guys that do interviews, how do you feel when a young lady is wearing a mini-skirt during the interview or has a t!t pop out?

Or? If both don't happen she ain't getting the job.

A followup interview is in order that night at a local bar with a hotel nearby.

DiSC and I'm not sure what the other one was.

Had the interview on Monday. It was a second one, and there can be several interviews since employees there don't have managers. They're known for a long hiring process.

That said...really down to earth people. I came prepared with questions because that was my (self-determined) weak point in the first interview. Something I knew to have but then forgot about last minute. So this time I had several and it wound up feeling like I was interviewing them for quite a while there.

Got the job. Still processing it. Pretty excited.

Interesting as I didn't think DiSC could be used in the hiring process; I know Myers Briggs isn't. Thinking back to my days with Predictive Index...

Anyway, my #1 advice for interviewees is to turn the discussion around to how you can solve a problem for the company. For example, years ago when I was interviewing for a new job I put together some slides of how I would approach selling to one of their biggest prospects. It instantly changed the discussion from "if you were a car what kind would you be" to "hey, I like this, let's figure out how to go sell stuff#@!~".

#2 is that the answer to the question "do you have any questions" is always "yes." Do some research on the company and ask relevant questions. See #1 above.

Good luck. :cheers: