Sign in to follow this  
redsrback

NFL gets a new team

There looking for stray dawgs to re-start a pound, thoughts of 2 receivers in Cleveland and reminiscing of Reggie Rucker and Ozzie Newsome. Yes folks we might actually have to evaluate Cleveland players this year.

Josh Gordon with his baggage behind him. Jarvis Landry getting littered with Cedar point tickets to keep him away from the city.

This is the year to draft Brian Sipe, I mean, never mind ill look up the QB there when I get the chance.

As Lebron runs away from home they bring back football in Cleveland.

In a 12 team redraft ppr league where would you rank both Gordon and Landry?

Thanks

Im not tottally on the hype train, nobody hates to see the brown chit on peoples backs and the talk more then I in Ohio. With that said, everyones quit on the Browns and rightfully so. I see Duke Johnson as counter-productive, with 2 receivers as threats they need a real ground and pound guy to keep the defense honest, lets face it, keep it simple stupid is in order. Anywhere close to 500 season would be a buzz at this point.

What about Njoku at TE.

In a 14 team league, is he a starting TE?

For someone that doesn't front-load their draft with a lot of RBs, I'd think at least one of Carlos Hyde or Nick Chubb is going to turn out to be serviceable and their cost is reasonable.

What about Njoku at TE.

That has more to do with Taylor than Njoku. The kid is a legit talent.

For someone that doesn't front-load their draft with a lot of RBs, I'd think at least one of Carlos Hyde or Nick Chubb is going to turn out to be serviceable and their cost is reasonable.

true.

one will end up being the starter. so if you pick them both late in the draft and end up with one starter and one bust, that's a completely acceptable outcome given where you selected the players.

if you are lucky, the numbers for one of those players will be good enough for one of them to be a fantasy RB2.

if you are unlucky it will be a committee where neither player puts up great numbers.

so this is one of those situations where you wanna keep track of what happens in camp to give you a good idea of where you are at.

The F.S.T.A. draft was held over the weekend, you can use this as a reference to see how Browns players are currently viewed...

https://rtsports.com/siriusxm

Jarvis Landry 3.4 (32 overall) - taken as a WR1

Josh Gordon 3.8 (36) - taken as a WR2

Duke Johnson 6.2 (72) - taken as a RB2

Carlos Hyde 7.4 (88) - taken as a RB3

David Njoku 9.6 (118) - taken as a TE1

Nick Chubb 9.10 (122) - taken as a RB4

The F.S.T.A. draft was held over the weekend, you can use this as a reference to see how Browns players are currently viewed...

https://rtsports.com/siriusxm

Jarvis Landry 3.4 (32 overall) - taken as a WR1

Josh Gordon 3.8 (36) - taken as a WR2

Duke Johnson 6.2 (72) - taken as a RB2

Carlos Hyde 7.4 (88) - taken as a RB3

David Njoku 9.6 (118) - taken as a TE1

Nick Chubb 9.10 (122) - taken as a RB4

Makes Tyrod Taylor a pro-bowler

As long as the offense can control Landry's need to be the center of attention. I would worry about him if I were the OC and/or head coach. He is totally a "me" guy.

14 team league and Landry goes before D Thomas.

I dont like Landry ahead of J Gordon.

The rest bla.

Thanks.

And A Cooper second round pick oh my soul,

Was in gest, I was basing it on the drafting. A guy who can put 6 Browns on his team, add a kicker and QB makes 8, oh my soul.

That was a summary of the whole draft, not one team.

I understand that, but technically a guy has 16 picks and you cant call it bad picks. Just not rounded against good defenses for options for the Browns clown that drinks the kool-aide.

He took a crappy Buffalo team to the playoffs playing only 14 1/2 games.

I think McCoy had a lot to do with that.

When they finish 9 - 7 or better, I'll come back to this thread and say I told you so.

QB play, coach and secondary were limiting factors to an otherwise talented football team.

Haley will be calling plays, the secondary is vastly revamped and the QB play will be solid.

9 - 7

That's my call.

I still see the Browns as the fourth best team in the AFC north.

I see 6 wins.

What about Njoku at TE.

Maybe. I'd be wary esp in shallow 12 teamers or less.

It might be a function of players but Haley's Cards and Steeler offenses have always ranked at the bottom for tight end targets. And DeValve gets snaps.

When they finish 9 - 7 or better, I'll come back to this thread and say I told you so.

QB play, coach and secondary were limiting factors to an otherwise talented football team.

Haley will be calling plays, the secondary is vastly revamped and the QB play will be solid.

9 - 7

That's my call.

I'm in that ball park as well. When I look at their schedule and say, ok, they win all their home games and lose all of their road games and start with an 8-8 record. I then look at road games they could possibly win: Cincinnati, Baltimore, Tampa, and Oakland (I don't think they'll beat Pittsburgh, Denver, New Orleans, or Houston), and let's say they win 2 of those 4. That puts them at 10-6. Then I look at the home games they could lose: Chargers, Chiefs, Falcons, Panthers (I think they beat Pittsburgh, Jets, Cincinnati, and Baltimore), I think they only lose 1 of those games [Kansas City]. That puts them at 9-7.

For those who ask, the Browns for the most part, over the last 4 seasons have played the Steelers very closes. In their last 4 meets, 3 have been decided by 4 points or less. With a new QB, legit receivers and RB's, and a decent defense, I'm giving the Browns a split. With respect to winning 3 of the 4 road games... Atlanta and Carolina, historically, don't travel well to cold and outdoor venues. Considering that their games are in November and December, respectively, Cleveland can be extremely cold during those months. The reason I can see them beating the Chargers is not so much because of the cold, but because historically, west coast teams struggle with 1 o'clock east coast games.

As for the road games, I don't really think any of those 4 teams I mentioned will be daunting opponents. I do think Tampa and Oakland will be decent, as in equal to Cleveland... approximately .500 clubs. When you add in Cincinnati and Baltimore, whom I believe will be sub .500 teams, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to believe a round about .500 club could beat 2 of those teams.

If that does happen, I will not be boasting about it. I'm wrong as often as I'm right, so it's not like I'm a savant or anything.

I still see the Browns as the fourth best team in the AFC north.

I see 6 wins.

If I had to bet on a team to finish in 4th in that division, it would NOT be Cleveland. I think Baltimore is the clear favorite for that spot. I see them with 4 wins and likely less. I have the Browns and Bengals in the near .500 range. Browns at 9-7 and the Bengals at 7-9. When that close, they could go the exact opposite, so I can see the Browns at 7-9 and in 3rd, but the Ravens are the big losers in that division this year.

I fully agree. if I get late in the draft and can acquire both, then I will do so.

If I had to bet on a team to finish in 4th in that division, it would NOT be Cleveland. I think Baltimore is the clear favorite for that spot. I see them with 4 wins and likely less. I have the Browns and Bengals in the near .500 range. Browns at 9-7 and the Bengals at 7-9. When that close, they could go the exact opposite, so I can see the Browns at 7-9 and in 3rd, but the Ravens are the big losers in that division this year.

I’m sorry thst you would lose that bet.

Your edging on the Browns talent will come around and win nine games after a season of winning zero.

I’m not.

I still see a last place team.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sorry thst you would lose that bet.

Your edging on the Browns talent will come around and win nine games after a season of winning zero.

I’m not.

I still see a last place team.

Thanks for your reply.

In 1998, the Rams went from 4-12 to Super Bowl champs in 1999. In that same time frame, the Colts went from 3-13 to 13-3.

In 2003, the Steelers went 6-10, then went 15-1 with a rookie in 2004.

In 2004, the Bucs went 5-11, then went 11-5 in 2005.

In 2005, the Saints went 3-13, then went 11-5 in 2006.

In 2007, the Dolphins went 1-15, then went 11-5 in 2008.

In 2009, the Bucs went 3-13, then 10-5 in 2009.

In 2011, the Colts went 2-13, then went 11-5 in 2012.

In 2012, the Chiefs went 2-14. then went 11-5 in 2013.

The NFL has a history of teams winning 7 to 10 games more than in the previous season.

In 1998, the Rams went from 4-12 to Super Bowl champs in 1999. In that same time frame, the Colts went from 3-13 to 13-3.

The NFL has a history of teams winning 7 to 10 games more than in the previous season.

Of course, why would any of that mean that the Browns will be the next one to do so?

Thanks

Of course, why would any of that mean that the Browns will be the next one to do so?

Thanks

Why can't they be? They have legit talent. The had limited offensive weapons last year with no QB, no viable WR's (until Week 13), and a banged up OLine. They still managed to be in quite a few games... including 2 losses by 3 and 4 points to the Steelers. They also have a decent defense which got upgraded. They're not a bad team, in fact, they're actually pretty decent.

Why can't they be? They have legit talent. The had limited offensive weapons last year with no QB, no viable WR's (until Week 13), and a banged up OLine. They still managed to be in quite a few games... including 2 losses by 3 and 4 points to the Steelers. They also have a decent defense which got upgraded. They're not a bad team, in fact, they're actually pretty decent.

Lol of course they could.

But all I said, is I see them as the fourth best team in their divison.

And with 6 or less wins based on them being the fourth best team in their divison.

I have no control of their outcome.

Can you please list how many teams havent won 7-10 games more then the previous season, I mean just too be fair right!

Lol of course they could.

But all I said, is I see them as the fourth best team in their divison.

And with 6 or less wins based on them being the fourth best team in their divison.

I have no control of their outcome.

Can you please list how many teams havent won 7-10 games more then the previous season, I mean just too be fair right!

"... to be fair..."? Really? C'mon. My point was that bad teams can become playoffs teams during 1 off-season and it's happen multiple times, and routinely. It's not like over the 50 years it happened 3 times. Without really doing any real investigation, I just listed 7 times in the last 15 years. If I did more checking, I bet I could find more than 2 between 2009 and 2017.

Could the Browns finish with even 4 wins or less? Certainly, but I assure you, I'd bet the over. I'm not saying they WILL be a 10-win team as I said above, I can see where they win 7 games. You have them at 6, so it's not like we're all that far off. The Browns weren't as bad as their 0-16 record showed. They lost by 1 score 6 times last year. The odds of teams losing every 1 score game is pretty low. The fact that they literally had the worst QB in the league was the biggest reason. They'll now have a QB who is a reasonable starter along with quite possibly the best WR duo in the NFL.

Yes, they quite possibly do have the best WR duo in the NFL. How many teams have 2 starting WR's who are both still in their prime where one guy averages 100 receptions per season and the other guy has a 1600 yard season under his belt? None that I know of, as the only active players in the NFL (other than Gordon), who've had 1600 yard seasons are Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and Demaryius Thomas, and none of them play along side a guy who has been able to catch 100 passes per year. Again, they're both in their prime.

The potential for a 10+ win team is there. The deciding factor on that happening will be as simple as, how quickly these players click. I don't know that answer. It's why I said I can see them winning 7 games and why I won't be shocked if they win less. I'm just siding on the positive because of the talent and experience this team has as all of their starters on offense have been around for 3 or more years. They're not raw.

Landry avg over 100rec per season his last three, because the Dolphins didint have anyone else that was any good.

Now he goes too a team with , Gordon, Duke J, Hyde, Njoku, I see to many mouths for Taylor too feed.

I disagree about what you said that they have the best wr duo, when was the last time Gordon posted wr1 numbers?

And I don’t think they will win more then six games.

Now you can beat the over that’s great.

Good luck with that bet.

Kurt Warner

Peyton Manning

Ben Roethlisberger

Jon Gruden

Drew Brees

Chad Pennington

The Panthers went 0-6 in their division.

Andrew Luck

Andy Reid

Kurt Warner

Peyton Manning

Ben Roethlisberger

Jon Gruden

Drew Brees

Chad Pennington

The Panthers went 0-6 in their division.

Andrew Luck

Andy Reid

Most of them prove my point.

Kurt Warner was litterally bagging groceries 6 months prior to that season.

Peyton Manning was coming off a rookie season where he completed 57% of his passes, had 28 Int's and a 71 passer rating. Yeah, everyone knew that he was going to be that much of a different QB the following season. For your sake, we'll pretend they did because only one other person on this list helps your argument, so you'll need all the help you can get.

Roethlisberger was a rookie and had the #1 defense in football. Of course, having Ward, Bettis, Staley, and Parker really made it hard on him. (sarcasm).

Jon Gruden who took a team with the best defense in the NFL and won a Super Bowl... then over the next 6 seasons compiled a 45-51 record?

Drew Brees who was just simply let go because he wasn't good enough in his 5 previous seasons to lock down the starting job?

Chad, I'm always hurt, Pennington?

Yeah, the Panthers went 0-6... and?

Andrew Luck - Yeah, he had a great year (sarcasm). He completed less than 55% of his passes and had a passer rating of 76.5. (keep in mind, Luck has a career completion pct under 60 and passer rating under 90... 2 things that Tyrod Taylor doesn't have [who's career comp % is over 62 and passer rating is over 91]... just saying). To note, I'm not saying Tyrod is great, I'm saying Andrew Luck is over rated.

Andy Reid is a great coach.

So, of the 8 factors you brought up, 6 prove my point, 2 (because I gave you 1), make yours.

Most of them prove my point.

Kurt Warner was litterally bagging groceries 6 months prior to that season.

Peyton Manning was coming off a rookie season where he completed 57% of his passes, had 28 Int's and a 71 passer rating. Yeah, everyone knew that he was going to be that much of a different QB the following season. For your sake, we'll pretend they did because only one other person on this list helps your argument, so you'll need all the help you can get.

Roethlisberger was a rookie and had the #1 defense in football. Of course, having Ward, Bettis, Staley, and Parker really made it hard on him. (sarcasm).

Jon Gruden who took a team with the best defense in the NFL and won a Super Bowl... then over the next 6 seasons compiled a 45-51 record?

Drew Brees who was just simply let go because he wasn't good enough in his 5 previous seasons to lock down the starting job?

Chad, I'm always hurt, Pennington?

Yeah, the Panthers went 0-6... and?

Andrew Luck - Yeah, he had a great year (sarcasm). He completed less than 55% of his passes and had a passer rating of 76.5. (keep in mind, Luck has a career completion pct under 60 and passer rating under 90... 2 things that Tyrod Taylor doesn't have [who's career comp % is over 62 and passer rating is over 91]... just saying). To note, I'm not saying Tyrod is great, I'm saying Andrew Luck is over rated.

Andy Reid is a great coach.

So, of the 8 factors you brought up, 6 prove my point, 2 (because I gave you 1), make yours.

I think it's on me because I didn't really round out my point. I'm not saying you're wrong.

I'm just asking, who will be that sort of difference maker for Cleveland?

Landry avg over 100rec per season his last three, because the Dolphins didint have anyone else that was any good.

Now he goes too a team with , Gordon, Duke J, Hyde, Njoku, I see to many mouths for Taylor too feed.

I disagree about what you said that they have the best wr duo, when was the last time Gordon posted wr1 numbers?

And I don’t think they will win more then six games.

Now you can beat the over that’s great.

Good luck with that bet.

None of this helps your point. Over the last 10 years, only 3 players have a higher career catch % than Landry... and one of them is an RB. The fact that he's caught 70.2% of the 570 passes thrown his way is proof that he can catch the ball. Tyrod Taylor is apparently an accurate QB because he's completed over 62% of passes over his career. So, you have an accurate passer, a WR who is one of the best pass catchers, a game breaking WR (Gordon), and a bunch of other weapons you noted (because that was your justification on why Landry won't catch 100 passes), is all of the reason you need to say that this team can win more than 8 games.

Note, I never said that Landry will catch 100 passes this season and that Gordon will have 1600 yards. My point is that they are both capable of it. Because they're capable of it, teams have to defend against it. If teams are doing all they can to stop the pass, with the backfield they have, the Browns should have a very potent backfield. If that happens, then the defense will be off the field a lot. Time of possession will greatly improve the defense's ability to play at a high level.

I think it's on me because I didn't really round out my point. I'm not saying you're wrong.

I'm just asking, who will be that sort of difference maker for Cleveland?

It could be any one of Taylor, Landry, or Gordon or a combination of all 3. Taylor is an accurate passer and he has Landry who can catch at a high rate and Gordon who can really stretch the field. All 3 have skill sets that feed off of each other. This could be a great offense. Will it? I don't know, it all depends on how quickly they get on the same page. If they can do it quickly, then they will produce and win. The thing working against them is Mayfield. If these guys need 3 to 4 weeks to gel, then that might be all there is. Being 1-3 may catapult Mayfield into the starting lineup in week 5 and anything can happen. A bunch of wins or a bunch of losses.

My overall point is that I believe that the experience and desire to prove themselves by everyone Taylor (to prove he can be a franchise QB), Landry (to prove he's worth the deal he got), Gordon (to prove that he's ready to revive his career), Hyde (to prove he can be a feature back), all are greatly motivated to make this work. I believe it will happen and 9+ wins and a playoff run is possible.

I think I'm being talked into Landry here. Both from those who like him and those who don't. That guy is a catch machine and a guy who is always yapping for the ball. Plus he is a QB friendly over the middle guy. PPR all day. A guy in my league has him under contract but I may be looking to trade here.

The brownies are going to have a hard time replacing Joe Thomas and idk if their 3rd rounder can do it.

Dline still needs help, but if Ward is as good as anticipated they'll surprise and/or overachieve with GWill as DC.

Their season will come down to a) TT getting on the same page as his WRs, B) Dline improvements, c) Hue getting out of his OC/DC way.

10-6 is possible. 6-10 is more likely. I have them pegged for 8-8.