Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Preseason Week 2 Observations

What about chris Carson at rb for Seattle, he ended up in splitting first team snaps with lacy whom I won't touch. Roto news now says he's in play as a late redraft option so I dropped rishad Jennings in my dynasty and picked this kid up. Looked good and explosive.

of course, both rawls and prosise were out with injuries. carson has some climbing to do, but is within the realm of possibility

What about chris Carson at rb for Seattle, he ended up in splitting first team snaps with lacy whom I won't touch. Roto news now says he's in play as a late redraft option so I dropped rishad Jennings in my dynasty and picked this kid up. Looked good and explosive.

of course, both rawls and prosise were out with injuries. carson has some climbing to do, but is within the realm of possibility

I figured he was worth a shot as opposed to having an old rb on my team with no home yet.

Rams looked good on first drive against Raiders. 85 yards on eight plays 4 for 4 passing and Gurley ran hard 4 for 19. Lynch first action for raiders running like his old self.

I only saw the Redskins-Packers game tonight, so here's a few observations on that one:

-Gruden was pissed that his offense couldn't get anything going, and left his starters in the whole first half. Green Bay pulled theirs with about 5 minutes to go in the 1st quarter, with a few exceptions.

- Washington's first team couldn't run block again, and there was no room for Fat Rob to run. He tried to make something out of nothing, but he walked off frustrated a few times. He did get all work with the 1's though.

- Cousins finally got them in the end zone at the end of the half, hitting Crowder from 4 yards out. He targeted Crowder quite a bit, and didn't look at Doctson or Pryor much at all. Cousins looked okay overall; not great, but not horrible. Threw one nice ball to Thompson on a wheel route for a big gain.

- Perine looked really good against 2nd and 3rd string defense. He hit the hole quick and was through it. If the line can't block better for Kelley, Samaje is going to get some carries just because he has more initial burst.

-Packers moved the ball well and Rodgers was running quite a bit. Williams at rb got all 1st team carries and looked ok, but not special. He is what we think he is, a hard runner with decent burst but not a ton of agility. Their run-blocking didn't look great either, but better than Washington.

- Green Bay's backup receivers played well. There's some depth there.

- Ha-Ha Clinton Dix was very active while he was in there on defense. I couldn't tell if the Packers D had gotten better, or if Washington was just playing poorly. Probably a little of both.

• Like 1

Goff, Gurley and he rams looked good tonite. I know it's preseason but are we all sleeping on the rams? Fisher was among the worst coaches ever, certainly the most overrated in history, look it up. Can they be at least competent now with a fresh lease on life? Am I crazy now if I pass up Gurley in the mid 2nd?

• Like 1

It's only preseason, but I'm starting to second guess Cousins and Pryor. Is the loss of DeSean and Reed (inj) hurting them that bad right now? Lack of run game?

If I'm targeting a QB late I guess I'm getting Stanford now. I liked Cousins. Pryor too has been falling in mocks, Crowder has been falling more. So I guess Crowder is the better value and may produce more points.

Trying to figure Kasen out. This is his 3rd year with the hawks, why the sudden emergance now?

He's kind of like Paul Richardson. Always seem to look good and flash in practice, but just can't stay healthy.

You might of stolen a starting RB for next year.

Goff, Gurley and he rams looked good tonite. I know it's preseason but are we all sleeping on the rams? Fisher was among the worst coaches ever, certainly the most overrated in history, look it up. Can they be at least competent now with a fresh lease on life? Am I crazy now if I pass up Gurley in the mid 2nd?

I have been buying on LA WRs all offseason. I would certainly take Gurley if he was there in mid 2nd, no brainer there.

I wonder if I should move Kupp up a bit in my rankings. I have him listed as a deep sleeper.

I wonder if I should move Kupp up a bit in my rankings. I have him listed as a deep sleeper.

I have him in all my dynasties, so I hope his contributions start right away. My bet is that Goff is better than most believe

It's only preseason, but I'm starting to second guess Cousins and Pryor. Is the loss of DeSean and Reed (inj) hurting them that bad right now? Lack of run game?

..... and garcon. with nothing against cousins, i think they take a few steps back this year.

I have him in all my dynasties, so I hope his contributions start right away. My bet is that Goff is better than most believe

I was thinking the same thing. Saw part of his last pre season game, and thought he looked pretty good.

I only saw 2 drives and then had to leave, but he does not look like the same player we saw last year.

His confidence seems to suggest he feels he's playing better as well.

I"m not ready to annoint him a top 10 QB but top 20 is certainly a possibility

..... and garcon. with nothing against cousins, i think they take a few steps back this year.

A few steps back from what? They won 8 games.

Washington was 3rd in total yards and 2nd in passing yards. He's probably talking about that.

well, w-l and offensive production

Washington was 3rd in total yards and 2nd in passing yards. He's probably talking about that.

Damn that's pretty good. Hard to duplicate for sure.

Damn that's pretty good. Hard to duplicate for sure.

a) yes, hard to reproduce those numbers

b ) especially with the loss of garcon and djax

the good news for wash passing offense is that the running game is not terribly effective, and the nfc east defenses are not wonderful

It helps that the Rams actually have a competent coach now.

Dak looking good. I predict he will overachieve and reach to the top QB ranking of 5 to 7 range on the list. The reasons are simple, McFadden is no Elliott and the Cowboys have a brutal stretch in the beginning of the season against run-stop teams. Dak will have to pass a lot to keep them in games.

I think he is a steal if you can get him in rounds 7 to 9.

33% winning percentage. Average of about 5 wins per season at 33%. That's pretty awful.

That's a team stat. We're talking about a QBs ability to read a defense and throw a football. Watch some tape. It's about competing if you go with a backup; not a guaranteed 10+ win season and playoff berth.

Kamara looking fast, really fast

fast enough to run past ingram and ap?

It helps that the Rams actually have a competent coach now.

This might be the key. Fisher is the losingest coach ever and had a few good seasons carried by Eddie and Steve. Besides that, almost no success. A change of coching can sometimes be the push a team needs to get to their potential.

SD Oline looks like Swiss cheese

I havnt watched the game. I'll try to catch the replay.

when they played the starters, the first question I have to ask is who were they?

historically difficult to ride payton's rbs. the ones that play do pretty well.

I hate the vols, but watched a ton of Kamara since I live in Nashville. Butch Jones took until the final 8 games of Kamaras career to figure out this guy was a bell cow. I think he can be the real deal, but it may not be till the end of the year.

• Like 1

I hate the vols, but watched a ###### ton of Kamara since I live in Nashville. Butch Jones took until the final 8 games of Kamaras career to figure out this guy was a bell cow. I think he can be the real deal, but it may not be till the end of the year.

This is good to hear and see as I drafted him in my dynasty league.

I thought Kamara looked too timid as a runner in college. It's why I never had him ranked as high as he usually went. I haven't seen him in preseason action though.

historically difficult to ride payton's rbs. the ones that play do pretty well.

Historically Sean Payton has always hated Mark Ingram. Not sure why.

Last 4 years or so has looked like this:

Ingram and saints march down field (no pun intended) and then they give the goalline carries to Pierre Thomas, Khiry Robinson, Tavaris Cadet, Tim Hightower, CJ Spiller, etc.

Idk why but i've seen so many opportunities for an Ingram TD given to the lesser RB for no reason, certainly not for rest reasons. Because of this, and only this, I'm really high on Adrian Peterson this year. I think its only a matter of time before he leapfrogs ingram on the depth chart and never looks back. Also wouldn't be surprised if Ingram is traded midseason with Kamara has the heir to AP.

Reed was just activated and that's going to help a lot. I still like Cousins to knock on top 5 QB rankings. They left a lot of points on the field last year through the air and Pryor should help fix that.

Some thoughts on the first half on the Brown-Giants Monday nighter:

Both offenses were mostly non-existent. Each team had under 100 yards of offense. This was a combination of poor blocking, poor execution, and penalties. It was also a product of both defensive front 7's looking strong and aggressive.

The obvious difference here is that the Browns started Osweiler, who is atrocious, and were without Crowell. The Giants had pretty much everyone. I doubt many had any expectations for how good Cleveland should look, but the Giants have no such excuse.

Perkins got the majority of carries (6) and would have had -4 yards if not for busting a 16 yarder late in the half. Darkwa got 1 carry and only saw one series with the starters. I think next week will give us our best clarity on what the situation is there.

Beckham left with an ankle injury, and they took him for x-rays. He seemed relatively fine on the sideline at the beginning of the second half. B. Marshall also got x-rays on his shoulder.

Kizer looks very likely to start the year as the QB. He didn't look good, but can at least extend plays and run some. Honestly, he's their best option, and I say that as someone who isn't that high on him.

If the Browns offense could be average even, the defense could be a useful streamer (Peppers looked good returning punts too). But I don't expect them to be average on O.

Engram at TE for New York looks to be more involved in the offensive design that I thought he would be.

That's about all I got.

It seems they are treating Kizer with kid gloves, and I don't understand why. All I've seen Osweiler do is be ultra conservative, not take chances and avoid mistakes. That's all fine and dandy as it won't lose games. However, it won't win many either. I want the guy who can sling it down the field and make plays. Sure Kizer will get defensive looks in the regular season that he's never seen before. He'll get rattled and make mistakes. All rookie QB's do. I say roll with Kizer as Osweiler is a sunk cost.

Also, if they cut Kessler, I wouldn't be upset.

DeDe Westbrook was ELECTRIC at Oklahoma. If I can't get good value drafting ARob I'll be targetting Westbrook as a late round dart throw. He could be this year's Tyreek Hill when you think about the similarities between the two both on and off the field. It all depends on how JAX chooses to deploy him.

Dede listed 3rd on the depth chart. Getting interesting.

Jaguars have started to sour on Hurns, even to the point where they were trying to trade him. I don't normally look much into preseason but two guys stood out to me, Dede Westbrook and Chris Carson. Dede lead all WRs during the preseason, oh and by the way, he missed one of his games due to injury. I have no idea how the Jags are planning to utilize him but if they let him return kicks, get in on some trick plays and basically burn past any DB that covers him he will be on many fantasy teams come midseason.