Sign in to follow this  
cavern

Are there any Browns Homers here? Duke Johnson

I am wondering if anyone knows how much Duke is actually getting on the field this season. There have been talks that he might play some slot receiver in addition to occassionally lining up as RB.

just wondering if he's likely to be a sneaky good ppr draftee

Yes!! He's going to see the field a lot. There's been some mis-reporting on this. To be clear he has not been MOVED to slot wr. That's false, fake news! lol He has been added to the rotation for slot wr. So, he'll see snaps in the backfield and lined up as a slot wr.

At the end of the day, I'd expect his rushing total to be at or near what they were last year and give him a small bump in recpts & rec yards. He'd be a good RB3 in PPR.

Do not draft him with the hope that he becomes the every down back should Crow get hurt/injured. They had a rookie Dayes that has looked fantastic. So, if Crow goes down with injury, Dayes would likely become the new 2 down back.

• Like 1

I am wondering if anyone knows how much Duke is actually getting on the field this season. There have been talks that he might play some slot receiver in addition to occassionally lining up as RB.

just wondering if he's likely to be a sneaky good ppr draftee

This talk about him being their slot receiver makes sense from some perspective.

Kid has had problems with concussions and they have been keeping him from running between the tackles too often. (for obvious reasons)

but he is an awesome receiver and the WR position is less physical than a RB position and the WR's dont take as many big hits. This could be a better way to get the ball into his hands on a consistent basis.

This says two things:

1) Crowell has actually been decent enough catching the ball, and the move to the slot could open things up for him to be an every down back.

2) The browns Depth at WR isnt as good as they would like.

This move may work for them because I do think this allows them to get two pass catching RB into the lineup.

I think they will run some 2 RB sets where he splits out and runs a pass route (puts pressure on opposing LB and safety's)

or sometimes he will line up as a slot receiver and do the same.

this is great news for Crowell because it will open up some running lanes.

Much rather draft Duke than Crowell.

Maybe in PPR.

Standard leagues Crowell is the man.

Duke just does not get enough carries to justify picking him in standard leagues. He's really a scat back.

I dont think his concussion problems will allow him to expand his role beyond that.

Maybe in PPR.

Standard leagues Crowell is the man.

Duke just does not get enough carries to justify picking him in standard leagues. He's really a scat back.

I dont think his concussion problems will allow him to expand his role beyond that.

in a non PPR he's off my board and I'd much rather gamble on a guy like Thomas Rawls, Jamaal Williams or Joe Williams, that could become THE GUY in a reasonable manner.

Duke will never be the guy, so that's not the type of guy I want on my bench in a non-PPR.

Crowell I think could be looked upon as a late rb1 or very early rb2 in ppr.

Duke is a rb3 or rb4 at best in ppr.

You guys really want your RB 1 or 2 to be on the Brows offense? You want to turn on the TV and check out the browns game and say "Time to watch my RB1!"?

You guys need to stop looking at end of the year stats and points rankings and start watching actual games.

Crowell is a very serviceable RB2 (even in PPR). The guy gets no respect because he plays in Cleveland. You do realize he finished 15th in the league (yards from scrimmage)...and that isn't just for RBs, that's PERIOD (WRs/TEs included). And only lost 2 fumbles all year (of the top 15, only 2 players lost less).

I'd have no problem taking him as my #2 or as my #1 if I decided to go WR with my first 2 picks.

He's as solid as they come where he's being drafted IMO & actually in some ways, less of a risk. But preferably as a #2.

**Edited to add - many "experts" believe Cleveland will have a top 5 Oline, which never hurts a RB...even if he's a Brown**

Crowel had 34 targets and 26 rec and scored 41 ppr points in the last eight games.

D Johnson had 27 targets and 19 rec for 37 ppr points the last eight games.

Not counting rushing stats.

Now owning any Browns player in ff is always a risk lol, but I rather risk it with the better player.

I know I've read that the Browns plan on passing the ball a lot to D Johnson, but I don't see his targets going up from last season nor any of his stats being better then last season.

I think Crowell will indeed become even more of a three down Rb this season, and that should raise is ff numbers.

You guys really want your RB 1 or 2 to be on the Brows offense? You want to turn on the TV and check out the browns game and say "Time to watch my RB1!"?

You guys need to stop looking at end of the year stats and points rankings and start watching actual games.

I would never suggest this guy is a true RB1. but he's one of the best RB2's out there.

his situation has not changed from last year. Crappy QB, subpar defense. Normally this would kill the stats of the RB and he still performed at a decent level last year.

This year, the Defense will be better (for obvious reasons) andif they still dont have a solid QB, they will be running the ball. If that defense improves to a point where they can shut down other offenses, they can get away with a run based offense.

the line is better than what they had last year.

so I have plenty of reasons to believe he could improve.

that being said, he's on a losing team. And RB's on losing teams generally dont do well because they dont get carries in garbage time when the team is losing.

at the least, I'd say he will do no worse than last year. and this may be the most likely scenario. but he could do better.

so this makes him (in my opinion) one of the best RB2's in fantasy.

@above- "This and this happened last year, and Crowell did this and that last year." Kewl story, keep using that math and thinking anything carries over year to year in the nfl, let me know how the story ends.

No Brown will be a cornerstone of my team. Don't care how many equations and icoseles triangle diagrams you have that supposedly predict his production. He's an RB3/Flex.

@above- "This and this happened last year, and Crowell did this and that last year." Kewl story, keep using that math and thinking anything carries over year to year in the nfl, let me know how the story ends.

No Brown will be a cornerstone of my team. Don't care how many equations and icoseles triangle diagrams you have that supposedly predict his production. He's an RB3/Flex.

Stupid. You reference previous years stats all the time. You could have just said you dont want any Browns, which is valid, but reasoning using previous year stats is a standard way of creating projections and opinions.

• Like 1

Stupid. You reference previous years stats all the time. You could have just said you dont want any Browns, which is valid, but reasoning using previous year stats is a standard way of creating projections and opinions.

Fine.

just to explain the reasoning i started the thread - i'm in an interesting dynasty ppr league with 2 starting rb spots and 2 starting flex spots. i'm actually really surprised duke wasn't protected in this format, but he's in the draft pool.

yeah, in a typical redraft he's not on my radar (crow is, tho)

If you guys want a Brown, I'll give you one. Corey Coleman. Being ranked in the millionth round, he could easily be what Gordon was. Pryor is gone, Coleman is hugely talented and is an absolute steal late in drafts.

I love Duke Johnson. He's a satellite back plus meaning that if something happens to Crowell he would be the 3 down back essentially. Pretty high upside. Round 9 I would definitely pull the trigger

If you guys want a Brown, I'll give you one. Corey Coleman. Being ranked in the millionth round, he could easily be what Gordon was. Pryor is gone, Coleman is hugely talented and is an absolute steal late in drafts.

he was on my list.

might be a priority free agent rather than a late round draft pick (depending on your league) but I agree, he is a player with potential.

Okay... so what about comparables? Who would you rather draft in PPR? Duke Johnson or Theo Riddick? Similar, but who is in a better situation?

Okay... so what about comparables? Who would you rather draft in PPR? Duke Johnson or Theo Riddick? Similar, but who is in a better situation?

For me it's riddick. I have him rated near powell. Abdullah won't hold up, I think Stafford likes him on the field in passing situations, hurry up, ect. He had some big games last yr before getting hurt. Duke I just haven't seen it yet.

I love Duke Johnson. He's a satellite back plus meaning that if something happens to Crowell he would be the 3 down back essentially. Pretty high upside. Round 9 I would definitely pull the trigger

I disagree. I don't think they'd change his role much even if Crowell did go down. He just spends too much time doing other things and keeping their offense distinct, to take that away and make him a 3 down back.

I think they would just move their #3 RB into Crowell's two down base role. Duke may get more plays out of the backfield, but he's not going to be their 3 down back.

Like how Rob Kelley moved into the starter role instead of Chris Thompson, or Zach Zenner instead of Theo Riddick.

False. See post #2.

I would take Riddick over the Duke.

I disagree. I don't think they'd change his role much even if Crowell did go down. He just spends too much time doing other things and keeping their offense distinct, to take that away and make him a 3 down back.

I think they would just move their #3 RB into Crowell's two down base role. Duke may get more plays out of the backfield, but he's not going to be their 3 down back.

Like how Rob Kelley moved into the starter role instead of Chris Thompson, or Zach Zenner instead of Theo Riddick.

you might be right. Like I said earlier, the Dukes concussion problems have led to his carries being severely limited. (especially on between the tackles carries)

and he did have a rather serious concussion and for a while it was questionable whether he would play pro football going forward. You cannot ignore that. He has recovered, but concussions tend to be cumulative, so if he has another one, it could be a career ender.

for that reason, if I'm the coach, I likely do as you suggest... move the #3 guy into Crowell's spot and keep the Duke in the same role he's had.