Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Look-Alike Players 2013: Roddy White vs. Larry Fitzgerald

24 members have voted

1. 1. Redraft: Roddy White or Larry Fitzgerald?

• Roddy White
    • Larry Fitzgerald

It's time for another summer of Look-Alike Player threads...if you're new to the Board, every two days during the summer, I will try to post a thread that lists two players who are very close in value in redraft situations. Simply vote for the player you feel should be drafted first and then add comments about your selection if you would like.

This is non-PPR for Look-Alike matchups that involve RBs, WRs, or TEs. Just standard point for every 10 yards and 6 for TDs.

The second Look-Alike Matchup for this summer is: Roddy White vs. Larry Fitzgerald

Results of other Matchups so far:

Stevan Ridley leads DeMarco Murray, 19-5...

Fitzgerald has the higher ceiling but lower floor. After seeing what Arians did for Reggie Wayne and being confident that Carson Palmer is capable enough to get Fitz the ball, I think Larry is in for a serious bounce back season.

Fitzgerald simply becasue he has WR #1 upside - as If he had a solid QB he could be the best WR in football or at least #2 after Calvin. White is a solid 80 - 1200 - 6-8 guy and much more safe of a pick. But I would go with the upside.

In standard scoring i think that it is pretty straight forward that you have to go with fitzy... i think if it's PPR i could make a case for Roddy, but i'd still go with fitzgerald.

call me crazy, but i think you can get "roddy white' (or his production) two rounds later with the likes of a Reggie Wayne or Marques Colston... or even later with a Cecil Shorts... I think all of those players could be right there...

I had White ranked ahead of Fitzgerald last year and while I'm higher on Fitzgerald this season given the upgrade at QB and the expected offensive philosophy change with more downfield throws, its not enough for me to leapfrog him over White. The Falcons have established their identity and it's Ryan, White, Jones and Gonzalez. Steven Jackson is a perfect fit but this will continue to be a pass-first offense that's more efficient than Arizona's. Give me Roddy.

I'll take Fitz as the most talented, as well as Roddy will lose catches to Julio.

Thats whats everyone thought last year too and never happened. Just like Harrison was fgoing to lose catches to Wayne, never happened.

Fitzgerald simply becasue he has WR #1 upside - as If he had a solid QB he could be the best WR in football or at least #2 after Calvin. White is a solid 80 - 1200 - 6-8 guy and much more safe of a pick. But I would go with the upside.

90-1300 7-10

Fixed

I'll take Fitz as the most talented, as well as Roddy will lose catches to Julio.

White has been a top-10 scoring WR for five years straight.

Fitz definitely has better potential to be the No. 1 scoring WR, but he also has the potential to be No. 35.

90-1300 7-10

Fixed

this is probably a decent starting point, however White receptions and TDs have been declining the past 3 years (granted they are still great with his lowest total last year being 92.) You can attribute this to Julio (whose receptions and TDs have increased the past two years), the reemergence of gonzo, or some other phenomena...

The GOOD thing is that White's YPC went up to 14.7 last year (his highest total in the past 5 years) so while i think that White will be losing targets to Julio, his yardage production should remain about the same.

I see another slight decline in receptions, but with defenses giving him a little more room i think he'll improve on last years YPC #s...

i'm thinking something like 80-85 receptions 1250ish yds 6-9 TDs...

So i guess i'm basing Fitzy outperforming Roddy on the trend of % WR efficiency and Roddy's and Julio's Trend. When you compare Targets to catch% you had Larry at a huge disadvantage to White (which for the sake of the argument i'm hoping is QB play)

Fitzy 147Targets at 45.6% Comp Pct.

Roddy 131Targets at 65.6% Comp Pct.

Julio 120Targets at 64.2% Comp Pct.

Maybe this is flawed logic, but I believe (both players healthy) Fitz continues to get more targets than Roddy. If Palmer plays well Fitz's completion percentage goes up (if it gets near Roddy's level he'd get about 96 catches) 96 catches at his career avg. for YPC gives you 1305 yards... (assuming he can't improve on that with a strong armed palmer)

I think it will be close (and probably come down to TDs which often times is a crap shoot) but the potential for Fitz has me drooling, and Roddy's slight downward trend with the emergence of Julio and potentially Jackson in the passing game has me a little worried.

Thats whats everyone thought last year too and never happened. Just like Harrison was fgoing to lose catches to Wayne, never happened.

Well I agree and disagree. His production didn't really dip, but he did lose 40 targets from the previous year. That is pretty substantial if you ask me. Factor in his 31 year old body and Julio coming in to his 3rd year. I think the trend continues, but hey thats just my opinion.

I don't think this is the "end" of Roddy, but rather just a slow trend towards him slowing down on the back half of his career. Its something that happens with everybody, and its the reason that Julio was brought in. Roddy can extend his career by letting Julio do what he can do. I think Fitz is in for a monster year in targets as they will be playing from behind, and Palmer will be throwing the ball a lot to catch up.

EDIT:

Looks like Rallo has already detailed most of my points above.

Fitz by a nose. He had historically bad quarterback play last year. Palmer is a bad quarterback at this point, but almost nobody's 2012 Cardinals bad.

I think odds are that they finish very close, but Fitz has higher potential. Roddy is a bit limited by Julio and Julio is a bit limited by Roddy. If you want safe top-10 to 12 production, you can't go wrong with Roddy, but when I'm taking a receiver in the 3rd round I want him to be able to challenge for that #2 overall spot at WR. I think Roddy will fall about 20-30 targets shy of that opportunity.

My feeling is that Fitz has more talent but plays on a worse team. Roddy's never missed a game, plays on a high octane offense and even though he's declined the last couple years he's letting owners down easy. Fitz will rebound from last year and I have them just about equal with a nod to RW.

Roddy is the better value pick imo.