Sign in to follow this  
SMath3333

Early Selection — Dilemma at the 2/3 Turn

Youve got one of the Top 2 or 3 picks, and are feeling pretty good about snapping up Gurley or Bell. And if you prefer Zeke or David Johnson, thats fine too.

But what to do at the 2/3 turn?

Gronk may be there and thats not a bad option.

At RB, you may be looking at Mixon (bad OL), McKinnon (nicked up and unproven) McCoy (shady off field issues) or possibly Howard (cant catch, two down back). You may want to reach for the potential of Collins, Henry or even Royce Freeman. Or even hold your nose and pick Drake or Ajayi.

You may have one of the top 9 WRs fall to you (AJ Green?) but more likely youre choosing between Evans, Diggs, Thielen, TY Hilton or Fitz.

I strongly believe that you need to select at least one RB at the 2/3 turn. Otherwise you are clinging to the hope that dudes like Kerryon Johnson or Lynch make it to you at the 4/5 turn, and both of those guys come with significant risk. It also locks you in to starting a WR in your flex position and up the creek when your RBs are on bye,.... unless you get lucky on the waiver wire or with a late round lottery RB.

Any thoughts ?

im facing this tonight in my high stakes league

im looking to add at least howard hopefully(or mixon if he somehow makes it to me but i doubt it)......and then im potentially reaching for freeman...and this is in ppr

a pay site that ive been with for 20 years that i usually swear by is very cool in regards to freeman...they seem to think it will be a frustrating commitee approach....but i dont see that....i think they are just being an NFL team in regards to a non first round rookie and playing it "cool"....he has good feet and size...he takes a lil longer to get going but hes tough...hes the only one that has flashed anything in that backfield.....i have denvers schedule against the run as very appealing...good d there and a qb who should at least be able to make a little happen

• Like 1

Lineup and scoring information would influence responses.

Agreed.

Assume the following;

PPR, 16 Rounds

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex RB/WR, K, DEF

1 point per 10 yards Rushing and/or Receiving, All TDS = 6 pts

Would agree Howard.

The only time I take a te early is if I can get one of the top two.

I think I might look at the te postion.

If Not then I would go three wide with a pick of another rb for that flx spot.

I think you can win taking WRs later.

Hey thanks.

IMO the fall-off after the tier of Barkley/Mixon/Freeman/McKinnon is pretty steep in my book (what I have as my 4th Tier RB's). So my goal would be to come out of the 2/3 turn with at least one of those guys, then hoping that somebody like Green/Evans/Hill/Baldwin/Fitz is available on the comeback.

IMO the fall-off after the tier of Barkley/Mixon/Freeman/McKinnon is pretty steep in my book (what I have as my 4th Tier RB's). So my goal would be to come out of the 2/3 turn with at least one of those guys, then hoping that somebody like Green/Evans/Hill/Baldwin/Fitz is available on the comeback.

They are all the way in the 4th tier?? No one else will put Barkley in tier 4

They are all the way in the 4th tier?? No one else will put Barkley in tier 4

PPR

1 - T Gurley, D Johnson, L Bell

2 - A Kamara, E Elliott, M Gordon

3 - K Hunt, D Cook, L Fournette, C McCaffrey

4 - S Barkley, J Mixon, D Freeman, J McKinnon

PPR

1 - T Gurley, D Johnson, L Bell

2 - A Kamara, E Elliott, M Gordon

3 - K Hunt, D Cook, L Fournette, C McCaffrey

4 - S Barkley, J Mixon, D Freeman, J McKinnon

I guess I just usually didn't think of 2nd round running backs as tier 4

He can be argued as t2 or 3 easily using his list. We just have to wait and see now.

Yeah, it may be a bit granular to be honest. I value the Tier1 RB's over the Tier1 WR's, but at Tier2 for the RB's, it starts to get a bit more even. He's still in the top 10-12 RB's overall and a good RB1 late 1st/early 2nd. Nothing against him at all at this point.