Sign in to follow this  
FantasyRetard

Interesting stat through 2 games

I looked this up this morning because I was curious. In 2017 through the first 2 games, there were 19 running backs who had rushed for a minimum of 80 yards in a game. So far this year, only 12 running backs have rushed for 80 or more yards in a game. Conversely, in 2017, only 12 running backs caught 6 or more passes in the first two games. This year, that number is 15.

Here's the question, are we seeing a trend, the diminshed running game and enhanced passing game using running backs? Or, will this even out as the season goes on?

It has been trending that way for a while

Ok, I thought I'd check this. In 2018, there were 18 performances of 80+ rushing yards. As for receiving, only 7 RB's had 6 or more receptions than in 2016. So, while you are correct, it is trending that way, I'd say what we've seen in the running game is more of a jump than a trend. 6 and 1/2 less performances of 80+ rushing yards after 2 weeks is a significant reduction. It's worth watching for two reasons. One, it will certainly impact the Flex player chosen. With reduced emphasis on running, putting a running back who doesn't catch a lot of passes is a risk. It makes WR's the more desirable Flex play. Two, it will certainly impact your thinking on who to play at one of your two RB positions. A Theo Riddick may end up more productive than a Jordan Howard.

My WRs have been kicking my RBs' behinds and I put a WR in every flex spot I had this week with no regrets.

QB scoring is up, too. The FFToday stat pages show that the top 10 QBs for the first two weeks of 2017 scored a cumulative 511 points. This year it's 658 points for an average of over 7 points better per game. In case one would wonder if those numbers are skewed by outlier performances (here's looking at you, Fitzmagic), the 10th place QB in 2017's wks 1 and 2 scored 21.4 and 20 points, respectively. The 10th placer's this year scored 24.7 and 27.9.

I'm moving Thompson into my Flex spot, and he may not leave. A good pass catching RB is, I think without looking at data, more reliable than a Flex-worthy WR (meaning not an otherwise starting WR).

• Like 1

I'm moving Thompson into my Flex spot, and he may not leave. A good pass catching RB is, I think without looking at data, more reliable than a Flex-worthy WR (meaning not an otherwise starting WR).

I think depending on who your RB 2 is and the WR's you have, Thompson could go into that RB 2 spot, with a third WR in the Flex.

I don't know the particulars but how successful were the teams who threw that much to their backs? I would think that might factor in to the game plans going forward.

I don't know the particulars but how successful were the teams who threw that much to their backs? I would think that might factor in to the game plans going forward.

All 3 teams mentioned above lost. It's teams that are losing that will go to the pass and then use the dump-off.

I think getting the ball to their backs beyond the LOS in space is a great strategy, one that doesn't seem to be used enough. It's interesting that the success of it is pretty obvious, yet there are so many teams who are just barely scratching the surface with it.

Example: Theo Riddick. There is absolutely nothing special about this guy at all. He is a decent receiver for a RB, but he is really limited as an athlete, especially for his size. His career average per reception is 8.1 yards. Thats about 3 yards better than a great average for a running back taking handoffs. Now you take a bigger dude with better athleticism like Alvin Kamara, he is the type of player teams should be aiming for as their pass catcher. He is a matchup nightmare catching passes with his size and athleticism. Yet teams just take any decent receiving back, seemingly regardless of athleticism, and hold on to dear life to them because they can catch a pass beyond the LOS.

Scoring and passing yards had been trending down for the past two years. The NFL has told refs to throw more PI flags this year to increase both of those.

Scoring and passing yards had been trending down for the past two years. The NFL has told refs to throw more PI flags this year to increase both of those.

It was very odd how all of a sudden the passing statistics started to dry up. I don't think it was a loss of talent at QB. The top guys are getting a bit older, but it's not like any studs have been retiring besides Manning a few years back.

This year definitely seems like a spike back up. I quipped about it, saying watch receiver scoring pop back up with 2019 1st rounds being more balanced with receivers and running backs.

I usually go RB heavy because my mid round rb selection just sucks. That's one of the things that doesn't help me in non ppr, finding that non ppr rb who I can put in is difficult. My buddy didn't draft a RB until round 5 of our standard league and he is 2-0, 3rd in scoring. Brown, Green, Evans, Rodgers. He doesn't even need that good of rbs.

It was very odd how all of a sudden the passing statistics started to dry up. I don't think it was a loss of talent at QB. The top guys are getting a bit older, but it's not like any studs have been retiring besides Manning a few years back.

This year definitely seems like a spike back up. I quipped about it, saying watch receiver scoring pop back up with 2019 1st rounds being more balanced with receivers and running backs.

I usually go RB heavy because my mid round rb selection just sucks. That's one of the things that doesn't help me in non ppr, finding that non ppr rb who I can put in is difficult. My buddy didn't draft a RB until round 5 of our standard league and he is 2-0, 3rd in scoring. Brown, Green, Evans, Rodgers. He doesn't even need that good of rbs.

Two guys in our league drafted RBs late and are scoring well. One guy is starting Chris Thompson and DLewis.

Luck.

It’s all luck.

All this off season work to get it right means nothing, nothing I tell.

Luck.

Its all luck.

All this off season work to get it right means nothing, nothing I tell.

Me drafting Hill on purpose early is not luck

Me drafting Hill on purpose early is not luck

Sure it is.

What if he wasn’t available because someone else drafted him ahead of you.

You where lucky to draft him.

Hey good luck this weekend.