Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

O line changes and their impacts

in 2015, collins had a higher ceiling but a much lower floor than leary. if collins can clean up his game in camp, he will likely start. but if he continues to make basic mental and technique errors, then leary will be the starter on opening day.

for the record, leary's 2014 pff score in run blocking was 6th in the league among guards, and his overall score was 17th out of 80 qualifying guards.

I'm sure you've heard over the past week - Leary wants out. He's not reported to OTAs and has in fact requested a trade... Not the words of somebody who expects to start.

I'm sure you've heard over the past week - Leary wants out. He's not reported to OTAs and has in fact requested a trade... Not the words of somebody who expects to start.

yeah, and i can't blame him too much--he's on borrowed time with the knee. would have preferred to see him get competitive though. he's making 4x collins' salary, so the starting job shouldn't be a foregone conclusion. he's always been an edgy guy, and it would have been nice to see some more fight out of him.

i don't think they'll give him up for a 4th, nor should they.

yeah, and i can't blame him too much--he's on borrowed time with the knee. would have preferred to see him get competitive though. he's making 4x collins' salary, so the starting job shouldn't be a foregone conclusion. he's always been an edgy guy, and it would have been nice to see some more fight out of him.

i don't think they'll give him up for a 4th, nor should they.

Oh for sure, I definitely keep him. He provides a very valuable assurance as a backup. And I don't think he's dumb nuff to holdout. Nor rich nuff.

Oh for sure, I definitely keep him. He provides a very valuable assurance as a backup. And I don't think he's dumb nuff to holdout. Nor rich nuff.

yeh, he'd have a lot more leverage had he not signed the $2.5M tender

yeh, he'd have a lot more leverage had he not signed the $2.5M tender

I'm really hoping to see something out of Chaz Green this year. I'm still trying to get over being furious for taking him with a 3rd round pick - him never seeing the field (for whatever reason) is not helping.... Free is signed thru '17 - but we could release him after this season for a minimal $1.5m hit - would end up saving about $5m if we did.

Agreed. per broaddus, the team expects him to take swing tackle, and wants him to push free for the starting spot. the latter will be pretty tough, given that free is the leader of the OL room and green basically redshirted due to hip surgery. but they've got to come up with a bargain on the line, since martin's option year coincides with collins' contract year. gonna be a tough, tough choice deciding between the two of them, since i don't think they can keep both.

http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Broncos-training-camp-may-bring-position-battle-at-right-tackle-45894533

Just an article on the Broncos O line situation for anyone who cares.

http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Broncos-training-camp-may-bring-position-battle-at-right-tackle-45894533

Just an article on the Broncos O line situation for anyone who cares.

Juuuust a bit of wishful homerism I'd say. There's no chance the Denver offensive line is better in 2016, though I for one would love to see Schofield retain the starting RT gig as Khalil Mack abused him badly last year. LMFAO at Schofield putting on a few extra pounds to keep "massive defensive linemen" at bay, ha ha ha. Mack runs about 260 and will treat a heavier Schofield like a subway turnstile.

That line is going to miss Louis Vazquez, and even Evan Mathis. Paredis is just a guy, as is Garcia though I like his toughness and versatility. There's a reason Stephenson isn't in KC anymore. They didn't want him. And Okung hasn't had even a relatively injury free season in his career. He too received little interest on the market, a glaring outcome given the importance of the position.

A rookie last year, Sambrailo missed all season and is starting from scratch.

That's a rude awakening coming for Denver fans.

Juuuust a bit of wishful homerism I'd say. There's no chance the Denver offensive line is better in 2016, though I for one would love to see Schofield retain the starting RT gig as Khalil Mack abused him badly last year. LMFAO at Schofield putting on a few extra pounds to keep "massive defensive linemen" at bay, ha ha ha. Mack runs about 260 and will treat a heavier Schofield like a subway turnstile.

That line is going to miss Louis Vazquez, and even Evan Mathis. Paredis is just a guy, as is Garcia though I like his toughness and versatility. There's a reason Stephenson isn't in KC anymore. They didn't want him. And Okung hasn't had even a relatively injury free season in his career. He too received little interest on the market, a glaring outcome given the importance of the position.

A rookie last year, Sambrailo missed all season and is starting from scratch.

That's a rude awakening coming for Denver fans.

I dunno, just about the whole line was injured at one time or another. It is certainly possible for this years version to be better if they can stay healthy. But the guy they brought in to play LT hasnt been the picture of health either. Certainly I think the LT position will be better if he stays healthy. After that it's tough to say.

They have a guy who was supposed to play one of the Tackle positions as a rookie last year who got hurt. We really dont truly know what he brings to the table yet or whether he will play guard or tackle this year. Some other changes certainly make this line a crapshoot.

one other thing to keep in mind, is that Manning had one of the quickest releases in pro football (if not THE quickest) so he covered up a lot of line problems by letting footballs fly before he could take a sack.

any other QB who isnt mobile (and even a few who are) would have likely taken at least 1 or 2 more sacks per game behind last years line.

If the line is healthy, it MAY be better than last year, but the difference between a line ranked 28 out of 30 teams and one ranked 26th likely isnt very large.

Bottom line: I wouldnt expect much from these guys. Especially early in the year. Some of the younger players may improve as the year progresses, and we may see an improved line by the end of the season. But I think those first 6 games of the new season may be rough.

Sebastian Vollmer is severely injured..

And now the Patriots are releasing Bryan Stork.

Two of last year's starting offensive linemen for the Patriots are now gone. Couple that w/ Brady's 4 game absence and Lewis being out for at least that amount of time and you have a situation where short-intermediate routes are going to be the focal point of the Pats' offense early on.

It could also mean that Martellus Bennett stays in to block more, which might lessen his appeal as a FLEX tight end

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Early-Summer-Reviews-Are-Solid-On-Raiders-Offensive-Line-391165682.html

Here is a tidbit on the Raiders.

Early season, they grade out well on pass blocking. could use improvement in run blocking.

but this is normal early in the season. Run Blocking takes a bit more co-ordination and this part of the game needs at least a couple more weeks to come together.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjy9_vA1trOAhUCzWMKHcssBgwQFghGMAs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fninerswire.usatoday.com%2F2016%2F06%2F28%2Fwho-starts-on-the-49ers-offensive-line%2F&usg=AFQjCNHeKo-sZNc91rZrjuYoCsek-lDEiQ

So the bottom line is this:

the 49ers have a number of options.

Staley is at LT. -he is solid

Beadles has been signed to play RG but has been seen playing Center in camp (its looking like he is the backup Center)

Kilgore- is currently the Starting C.

Garnett -(2nd round pick) appears to have the inside track at RG,

Pears is penciled in at RT.- He didnt play exceptionally well last year at RT, but has come into camp in a lot better shape this year.

That being said, A. Davis has returned from his brief retirement and will likely be plugged in somewhere. He played RT prior to retirement, but has been playing a lot at guard in camp so far.

While the line was not a position of strength last season, it looks like it may be a lot stronger this year.

This is good news for the offense.

As a 9ers fan, I have watched with respect and envy, the drafts conducted br Reggie McKenzie, something about Carr that reminds me of the great Oakland qbs of yore-soon this team will go from promising to very, very good.

Seahawks

The Hawks have not put any money into their O-line. But, no real stars emerged either to do so even though they did pick a lot of early draft picks such as Carpenter, Moffit, Britt, etc.. Smartly they invested around their core good players/Def and R. Wilson.

So they have relied on Tom Cable to teach and bring lower tier Oline up and make due with what they have. Also having a QB like R. Wilson who can get out of trouble makes up for a lack of a line on pass pro.

The approach seemed to be get Blocking Oline for the run game, where our Pass blocking takes a big hit.

I think they finally realized what R. Wilson can do when he has a little time in the pocket. He carves it like T. Brady.

(So they FINALLY went after some pass blocking Oline for a change in the draft - YEAH)

We lost Okung(LT), Sweezy, Our Center the year before in a trade for J. Graham. So this year we basically have 1-2 returning starters and they are both at new positions. SCARY - Hawks = bottom Oline - so they say.

Well, IMO we needed the overhaul. They were lousy for most of last year. Got man handled in the playoff's. They have been fading since the SB year. Okung was often injured, etc.

So while they will be young, new, and inexperienced they are actually refreshing and could really open some holes up this year along with giving Wilson more time.

RG - (the biggest improvement) is we got Ifedi in the first round of the draft, and to my liking! This guy is a monster and a good pass blocker. He's feisty (fighting with our vet DT's in practices) And he already seems to be anchoring down the line. Hopefully, he can get his penalties under control, but he's really good. Playing guard this year. I could see him at LT some day.

Center - J. Britt move to center. I always hated the pick of Britt and knew he couldn't be a LT. Hawks quickly turned him over to RT a couple years ago and it didn't work. Then guard last year, but really didn't work. Now Center. While I was thinking this would never work, he's looked fantastic in preseason. This position seems to fit Britt nicely. The holes have been good, especially with Ifedi right next to him. The pass blocking I think is easier for him where he's always struggled. I like the fit and think it will actually work out. AND if not, then P. Lewis who anchored our center last year is GREAT depth. I'm actually shocked he's not our starter, but if Britt fails he would come in extremely solid for us. He helped our Oline last year when it felled early on.

My only concern right now with Britt would be fumbles from center-to-QB.

LT - G. Gilliam seems to be locked in as LT. Moving from guard the year before. Another young player, but somebody on the rise on their Oline. To be fair, I don't know much about him. This would be my concern on the line. But, so far in preseason he's looked good.

The depth is decent. B. Sowell free agent pickup started a lot of game at Tackle. T. Poole was a late draft pick I've always liked, and a few others.

RT - Right now it seems to be J'Marcus Webb. He's a monster in size. Between him and Ifedi they are HUGE. I think they got tired of getting pushed around and wanted some beef. They got it with Ifedi and Webb. They are big boys. Webb was a free agent under the radar. He's had a pretty solid career I would say, but the vet experience should pay off here. We also have young late draft picks on the rise behind him.

LG - M. Glowinski right now. He was a 4th round pick that I somewhat liked. I thought he could block pretty well and seemed to really push and pull in the run game.

R. Odhiambo is pushing the guards to start however. He was a early draft pick this year that looked amazing on tape. I almost thought he looked as good or better then Ifedi. I loved the pick and I could see him starting sooner then later. Great depth.

Overall - the draft picks on the line have gotten better! We still have T. Cable to teach these guy's and get the right mix, and we still have R. Wilson that can break out of troubles.

Bottom line: They will be raw and inexperienced, but HUGE potential. I could see some flags early in the year or mixed signals for broken plays. This will hurt on some drives putting us in holes. (As seen in preseason)

But, I think they will be way better then last year overall. I don't think they will be man handled and instead could be darn good forcing themselves. LT is the key to watch though and my concern.

My View: The preseason has shown me some amazing holes and push. (i.e. why C. Michael has looked so good)

And the pass protection has been good too. Most of the sacks have been on R. Wilson actually. I think the Oline is an uptrend.

The LT will be my biggest concern against the top quick DE's. But, the Hawks are also going with faster - quick release plays.

Offseason before draft = F

Now = C+

I project by the end of the year = B

Next year - Maybe an A- as these young guys mature.

RG - (the biggest improvement) is we got Ifedi in the first round of the draft, and to my liking! This guy is a monster and a good pass blocker. He's feisty (fighting with our vet DT's in practices) And he already seems to be anchoring down the line. Hopefully, he can get his penalties under control, but he's really good. Playing guard this year. I could see him at LT some day.

I agree Ifedi has been a nice addition.

I read somewhere that he worked out so well at Guard that they were giving him some reps at Tackle. Was this a short term thing? or is that experiment done?

I think they ultimately drafted him to be our tackle. He played Tackle in college and was great. I think he could even do LT, but RT for sure.

However, hard to say if they saw him as a stud guard all along OR just thought the transition was easier for his rookie year?

(Opposite of Britt where they rushed him at RT and it failed)

I'm assuming they are taking it slow this time and where this is still a great need at guard for us. But, I think he's good enough to be a tackle down the road for sure.

I never heard he took reps at tackle though. That's pretty cool to hear. They do like everybody to be well rounded and play multiple positions across the line. Helps with depth of course.

I think they ultimately drafted him to be our tackle. He played Tackle in college and was great. I think he could even do LT, but RT for sure.

However, hard to say if they saw him as a stud guard all along OR just thought the transition was easier for his rookie year?

(Opposite of Britt where they rushed him at RT and it failed)

I'm assuming they are taking it slow this time and where this is still a great need at guard for us. But, I think he's good enough to be a tackle down the road for sure.

I never heard he took reps at tackle though. That's pretty cool to hear. They do like everybody to be well rounded and play multiple positions across the line. Helps with depth of course.

Well, he's definitely a Mauler. Big and strong. Cannot be bullrushed.

but my understanding is he can be beat by speed rushers on the outside and is vulnerable to countermoves by the speedrushers as his change of direction skills arent quite where they need to be.

(at least that was the scouting report if my memory is correct)

that being said, I'd rather see him on the inside until those issues get resolved.

But the staff in Seattle does a good job in coaching up the line, so it wouldnt surprise me if the got him coached up to the point where he can play tackle. I just think it will take a year or so. Meanwhile, a standout guard is not a bad thing to have.