Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Projections and Rankings - 2016

2016 Pre-season Projections & Rankings

Our initial set is ready to roll. I'm on the offensive side, Antonio D'Arcangelis is taking care of the IDP.

We'll begin our Player/Team Outlooks the week of June 13, adding 3-4 teams per week and include those outlooks with the Detailed Rankings.

Already got changes in mind for the first update. After first glance, I don't like how I underprojected the QB position as a whole, especially near the top, but this is how the first batch turned out. I envision that changing as we move along the pre-season.

I obviously like the position Lamar Miller and David Johnson are in and don't have any reservations about taking them over what I think will be the consensus top two RBs, Peterson & Gurley. As we get into training camp without any Le'Veon Bell setbacks, he'll be moving up, more than likely to the top, but right now, I'm not confident enough with his injury status to make him my No.1 RB.

As always, you can manipulate the projections with MyFFToday, creating league scoring rules to match your league. Enjoy!

A HUGE (no, not a Donald Trump reference) thank you to you and the staff for putting this out there. It takes a lot of work and it certainly is recognized!

I use them in MyFFToday for every league I am in.

Wow. That is a lot of shade being tossed at Mr. Rawls and Mr. Cobb. RB# 29 & WR# 29! Most mocks that I have seen (I'll grant you that it is insanely early) have Rawls going in the first 2 rounds and Cobb going in the round 4-5 range.

Not says that we need homogenized ranking here at FFToday, but who took a wizz in your Cherrios there Mike?

ICEMAN

Not sure how I feel coming back with Freeman, D. Johnson, and M. Jones.

Last time I kept someone that was this highly rated....well he was white, slow, and disappointing.

Also interested in the Rawls position.

Wow. That is a lot of shade being tossed at Mr. Rawls and Mr. Cobb. RB# 29 & WR# 29! Most mocks that I have seen (I'll grant you that it is insanely early) have Rawls going in the first 2 rounds and Cobb going in the round 4-5 range.

Not says that we need homogenized ranking here at FFToday, but who took a wizz in your Cherrios there Mike?

ICEMAN

I'm trying to figure out where Rodgers' TDs are going to if Jordy, Cobb, Cook and Lacy are down for a total of 20 and he is projected to throw 35.

Thank you for the work on the rankings!

One player I am having a little trouble valuing is Carlos Hyde. His schedule is so brutal this year that I fear he will be similar to last year, basically useless. Anyone see a different take?

Thank you for the work on the rankings!

One player I am having a little trouble valuing is Carlos Hyde. His schedule is so brutal this year that I fear he will be similar to last year, basically useless. Anyone see a different take?

Mike Davis is going to be the RB to own in SF in PPR leagues

Mike Davis is going to be the RB to own in SF in PPR leagues

There's value in that backfield. Why Davis? I don't remember him being a prolific pass catcher in college, but it's been a minute since I watched him play.

There's value in that backfield. Why Davis? I don't remember him being a prolific pass catcher in college, but it's been a minute since I watched him play.

While most would consider him to be more of a traditional downhill runner, he does have soft hands. His forte (pardon the RB joke) in college was getting yards after contact and between the tackles.

I see him forcing a 50 (Hyde)-35 (Davis)-15 (The Field) timeshare this year. Chip likes to push pace, which means when another RB gets on the field, its likely for the duration of the drive. Davis has the potential to be the downhill runner Chip never utilized in Philadelphia, the question is durability.

He's a perfect dart at the end of the draft. After all, has Hyde really shown us...THAT much?

While most would consider him to be more of a traditional downhill runner, he does have soft hands. His forte (pardon the RB joke) in college was getting yards after contact and between the tackles.

I see him forcing a 50 (Hyde)-35 (Davis)-15 (The Field) timeshare this year. Chip likes to push pace, which means when another RB gets on the field, its likely for the duration of the drive. Davis has the potential to be the downhill runner Chip never utilized in Philadelphia, the question is durability.

He's a perfect dart at the end of the draft. After all, has Hyde really shown us...THAT much?

The sleeper running backs this year are as much as a crap shoot as I have ever seen. Last year my big one was Djohns so I lucked out when he got legit play time. Now though I am pretty much throwing darts at a board with my picks. It's going to have to be a backup who gets lucky due to injury.

The one issue I have with Davis is he has the same brutal schedule Hyde does. I may make my sleepers rankings based more on ease of schedule than anything this year.

Hitting on some of the questions...

1. Thomas Rawls - The uncertain status given his ankle injury is keeping his projection down at this time, although even if he's completely healthy I don't envision him with a similar upside as Lynch I think the Seahawks will lean on Russell Wilson more as they did last year after Lynch went down, as a result, Rawls has a RB2 ceiling in my book.

2. Randall Cobb - In my initial post, I mentioned "already got changes in mind"... Cobb's projections will be one of them. He's slightly low.

3. Devonta Freeman - I think Freeman's due for some regression and I do believe the coaching staff will try work Coleman in more than last year. He's misplaced as a Tier1 RB in my rankings. Another one in the "already got changes in mind" category. Atlanta was one of the team's I first projected, probably 5 weeks ago.

The receiving numbers for running backs are very low. Theres always a few who catch more than 80

Two RBs in each of the last two years have caught more than 80 passes. They candidates to do so this season include Le'Veon Bell, Dion Lewis, Theo Riddick, Danny Woodhead, and perhaps David Johnson but he would have to maintain his workhorse role for at least 14 games and I think Chris Johnson will eat into David's workload enough to keep from the 80-catch mark.

I've got Woodhead at 78 and Riddick with 76.

Bell and Lewis are the most likely to hit the 80-mark in my book but both have injury concerns so there's no way I'm projecting them for that workload right now. If they look the part in training camp, I expect both of their projections will rise.

The sleeper running backs this year are as much as a crap shoot as I have ever seen. Last year my big one was Djohns so I lucked out when he got legit play time. Now though I am pretty much throwing darts at a board with my picks. It's going to have to be a backup who gets lucky due to injury.

The one issue I have with Davis is he has the same brutal schedule Hyde does. I may make my sleepers rankings based more on ease of schedule than anything this year.

This year will likely be the first time I'm going to actively try to secure multiple backfields in redraft. I think I'd feel more comfortable having a couple stud WR's early and try to get RB pairings in my early drafts/MFL10s.

Hill and Gio

Buck Allen and Dixon

Kenjon Barner and Wendell Smallwood

Theo Riddick & Abdullah

This year will likely be the first time I'm going to actively try to secure multiple backfields in redraft. I think I'd feel more comfortable having a couple stud WR's early and try to get RB pairings in my early drafts/MFL10s.

Hill and Gio

Buck Allen and Dixon

Kenjon Barner and Wendell Smallwood

Theo Riddick & Abdullah

I like the idea but not the pairings.

Hill and Gio- still pretty expensive considering ADP

Buck Allen and Dixon- still some chance of Forsett getting work

Kenjon Barner and Wendell Smallwood- Mathews could be the guy

Theo Riddick & Abdullah- Theo is good for ppr but Zenner could vulture

I prefer:

Charles and Ware- locked in RB1 with big upside

Crowell and Johnson- Hue commits to run and cheaper than Hill and Gio

Jones and Marshall- cheap with good OL. Marshall is free

Lat and Washington- someone is going to run behind that massive OL

I'm taking the gamble on Watson being the guy in Cleveland.

They are already a rbbc team, with no true #1.

Plus, how many coordinators leave a team for a head coaching gig, and take a player with them? I don't know much about the kid, but he's my flier at the end of my rookie/fa draft

I like the idea but not the pairings.

Hill and Gio- still pretty expensive considering ADP

Buck Allen and Dixon- still some chance of Forsett getting work

Kenjon Barner and Wendell Smallwood- Mathews could be the guy

Theo Riddick & Abdullah- Theo is good for ppr but Zenner could vulture

I prefer:

Charles and Ware- locked in RB1 with big upside

Crowell and Johnson- Hue commits to run and cheaper than Hill and Gio

Jones and Marshall- cheap with good OL. Marshall is free

Lat and Washington- someone is going to run behind that massive OL

People are overlooking Kenjon Barner in a big way. I legit believe he'll be the starting RB week one

I'm taking the gamble on Watson being the guy in Cleveland.

They are already a rbbc team, with no true #1.

Plus, how many coordinators leave a team for a head coaching gig, and take a player with them? I don't know much about the kid, but he's my flier at the end of my rookie/fa draft

Watson is huge, he may take the between the tackles role, but I can't see Duke not getting all the passing downs and his own share of between the tackles work. He's not slight in his own right.

Watson is huge, he may take the between the tackles role, but I can't see Duke not getting all the passing downs and his own share of between the tackles work. He's not slight in his own right.

Raheem Mostert is the guy I've taken some fliers on with my last pick in early MFL10s. The Browns special teams coordinator Chris Tabor said Justin Gilbert or Mostert are the primary candidates for kick returns.

That leads me to believe that Mostert can make the 53 man roster. As for Watson, I think part of the appeal for him is the fact that Hue is familiar with him from being on the practice squad in Cincy. Whether he can develop into anything more than a scout-team back is to be determined, but I think it's relatively safe to assume that Crowell is not a starting running back who can maintain his job.

As for Duke, like you mentioned, he's a great option in PPR, particularly with a defense that'll surrender points and be trailing more often than not.

Two RBs in each of the last two years have caught more than 80 passes. They candidates to do so this season include Le'Veon Bell, Dion Lewis, Theo Riddick, Danny Woodhead, and perhaps David Johnson but he would have to maintain his workhorse role for at least 14 games and I think Chris Johnson will eat into David's workload enough to keep from the 80-catch mark.

I've got Woodhead at 78 and Riddick with 76.

Bell and Lewis are the most likely to hit the 80-mark in my book but both have injury concerns so there's no way I'm projecting them for that workload right now. If they look the part in training camp, I expect both of their projections will rise.

No concerns with Gordon having a bigger role? From what I've been reading, the current regime wants to have him much more (perhaps 3-down role) involved and he's a good pass catcher. I think they want to prove they didn't make a mistake spending a high draft pick on him. Plus they want to go to a 2-back set with a FB to help open lanes and supposedly Gordon is more comfortable running in that scheme.

And no Duke Johnson to catch 80? Seems very doable considering his receptions last year.

No concerns with Gordon having a bigger role? From what I've been reading, the current regime wants to have him much more (perhaps 3-down role) involved and he's a good pass catcher. I think they want to prove they didn't make a mistake spending a high draft pick on him. Plus they want to go to a 2-back set with a FB to help open lanes and supposedly Gordon is more comfortable running in that scheme.

And no Duke Johnson to catch 80? Seems very doable considering his receptions last year.

New head coach in Cleveland. Theres no guarantee Johnson will be used the same.

The coaches already tried proving Gordon wasnt a mistake last year. They made themselves look like fools since Gordon isnt nearly as good as his draft slot would suggest. I do think they will try it again this year. In the end they arent going to come close to justifying that pick.

One thing about the predictions, they seem pretty chalkish to me. No surprises at all that I can see from the receiver or rb spot. Maybe Djohns? Although I am fully on board with his ranking.

Julian Edelman has a pretty low projection. I assume because of the suspension? I am in the middle of an MFl10 draft so I actually put him lower than Maclin for my 3rd round pick because of this ranking.

Hitting on some of the questions...

1. Thomas Rawls - The uncertain status given his ankle injury is keeping his projection down at this time, although even if he's completely healthy I don't envision him with a similar upside as Lynch I think the Seahawks will lean on Russell Wilson more as they did last year after Lynch went down, as a result, Rawls has a RB2 ceiling in my book.

2. Randall Cobb - In my initial post, I mentioned "already got changes in mind"... Cobb's projections will be one of them. He's slightly low.

3. Devonta Freeman - I think Freeman's due for some regression and I do believe the coaching staff will try work Coleman in more than last year. He's misplaced as a Tier1 RB in my rankings. Another one in the "already got changes in mind" category. Atlanta was one of the team's I first projected, probably 5 weeks ago.

Don't get me wrong. I personally am not high on Rawls, but I think that as long as he is healthy (and I realize that is a big "IF"), he would easily be in the RB10-15 range.

ICEMAN

New head coach in Cleveland. Theres no guarantee Johnson will be used the same.

The coaches already tried proving Gordon wasnt a mistake last year. They made themselves look like fools since Gordon isnt nearly as good as his draft slot would suggest. I do think they will try it again this year. In the end they arent going to come close to justifying that pick.

Ahem....Duke had 61 receptions as a rookie, enter Hue Jackson. If your familiar with his resume with RBs, you'll realize what he did for Gio Bernard as a pass catcher.

Duke will hit the 80 catch mark, and you can write it down. I'm just surprised Mike FF today missed something so obvious.

In regards to Gordon, your comment "The coaches already tried proving Gordon wasn't a mistake last year." Keep in mind Gordon was a rookie so it's not like he's a guy who's been in the NFL prior to last year. Lots of RBs strugggle to adjust to the speed of the game in their first year.

Yes they will go back to trying to establish Gordon mainly because the OL was decimated due to injuries. The majority of RBs from other teams would have struggled behind that pitiful OL last year.

I don't agree with your assertion "In the end they arent going to come close to justifying that pick." You don't know that, it's purely conjecture on your part. If the OL improves Gordon will improve barring injury.

If they can get Gordon going, I see Woodhead being regulated more as 3rd down, change of pace RB. Gordon is a good pass catcher and what you want from your RB is to be a dual threat on the field. Woodhead isn't a dual threat and circumstances played a big part with the number of receptions he had last year.

Gates being out out first 4 weeks, Allen going on IR, Stevie Johnson got banged up, Floyd injured, decimated OL,etc. With all the weapons they have now returning plus Benjamin and hopefully an improved OL, I don't see Woody catching 78 passes. On top of that Woody is now 31 so it's best he's used more in a reserve role.

If Mike wants to contact me for more insight on his projections, I'm here for him. :D

Ahem....Duke had 61 receptions as a rookie, enter Hue Jackson. If your familiar with his resume with RBs, you'll realize what he did for Gio Bernard as a pass catcher.

Duke will hit the 80 catch mark, and you can write it down. I'm just surprised Mike FF today missed something so obvious.

In regards to Gordon, your comment "The coaches already tried proving Gordon wasn't a mistake last year." Keep in mind Gordon was a rookie so it's not like he's a guy who's been in the NFL prior to last year. Lots of RBs strugggle to adjust to the speed of the game in their first year.

Yes they will go back to trying to establish Gordon mainly because the OL was decimated due to injuries. The majority of RBs from other teams would have struggled behind that pitiful OL last year.

I don't agree with your assertion "In the end they arent going to come close to justifying that pick." You don't know that, it's purely conjecture on your part. If the OL improves Gordon will improve barring injury.

If they can get Gordon going, I see Woodhead being regulated more as 3rd down, change of pace RB. Gordon is a good pass catcher and what you want from your RB is to be a dual threat on the field. Woodhead isn't a dual threat and circumstances played a big part with the number of receptions he had last year.

Gates being out out first 4 weeks, Allen going on IR, Stevie Johnson got banged up, Floyd injured, decimated OL,etc. With all the weapons they have now returning plus Benjamin and hopefully an improved OL, I don't see Woody catching 78 passes. On top of that Woody is now 31 so it's best he's used more in a reserve role.

If Mike wants to contact me for more insight on his projections, I'm here for him. :D

Besides Gio what is his history with RB receptions?

But the pick wont be justified... Using a first round pick on a running back, that back had better be somewhere near Gurley special. He probably improves this year as I understand rookies have to adjust, plus the decimation of the offense overall. I still think it showed more he just isnt as good as people thought. I will remain in that camp and benefit from the people who have high hopes for him still.

I am not saying Duke cant catch that many passes. I just understand Mike doesnt want to over project him.

Besides Gio what is his history with RB receptions?

I'm not talking specifically RB receptions, I'm talking about his overall historic impact on offenses and therefore the production he's gotten out of his RBs.

For example, In 2010, under Jackson’s guidance as offensive coordinator, the Raiders offense finished fourth in the AFC and sixth in the NFL in scoring (25.6 points per game). The Raiders more than doubled their scoring output from the previous year, totaling 410 points.

Under Jackson’s offense, RB Darren McFadden finished the season with 1,157 yards rushing on 223 carries for a 5.2 average YPC and 7 rushing touchdowns. McFadden also had 47 receptions for 507 yards and 3 touchdowns. His end of year numbers were 1,664 total yards and 10 total touchdowns for the 2010 NFL season, making McFadden the NFL's 5th leader in total yards from scrimmage for the 2010 season.

I expect him to definitively improve Duke's production. He had 61 catches his first year! If you doubt he won't reach 80 then I don't know what to tell you bro. Plus Hue has been quoted as to saying he believes Duke is a capable 3-down RB. Barring injury this is about as close to a lock as you can get. Certainly better than a Woodhead projection of 78 catches unless Gordon goes down or severely disappoints.

But the pick wont be justified... Using a first round pick on a running back, that back had better be somewhere near Gurley special. He probably improves this year as I understand rookies have to adjust, plus the decimation of the offense overall. I still think it showed more he just isnt as good as people thought. I will remain in that camp and benefit from the people who have high hopes for him still.

I am not saying Duke cant catch that many passes. I just understand Mike doesnt want to over project him.

Mike didn't include Duke as a likely candidate to catch around 80 passes when he had 61 last year so how is that over projecting him?

As far as Gordon goes, you focus on all the negatives in a vacuum of one season, his first season in the NFL, but not the team circumstances attributing to them.

You also keep talking about justification for the draft pick. That's the reason he will be given every chance to succeed and stands to improve if the OL improves.

I think if that happens (barring health) he can become a surprise 3-down back. Like I said Woody is 31 years old.

Because his value is so low right now, he could be the steal of the draft.

Mike didn't include Duke as a likely candidate to catch around 80 passes when he had 61 last year so how is that over projecting him?

As afar as Gordon goes, you focus on all the negatives in a vacuum of one season, his first season in the NFL, but not the team circumstances attributing to them.

You also keep talking about justification for the draft pick. That's the reason he will be given every chance to succeed and stands to improve if the OL improves.

I think if that happens (barring health) he can become a surprise 3-down back. Like I said Woody is 31 years old.

Because his value is so low right now, he could be the steal of the draft.

I think he will be given every chance to succeed more so the GM and coach pray they dont look like fools. If he is mediocre does that justify the pick? Gurley played pretty well with a worse qb, worse receivers, just about as bad of an oline, and also in a very tough division. Oh and he had to rehab from a torn knee.

I think he will be given every chance to succeed more so the GM and coach pray they dont look like fools. If he is mediocre does that justify the pick? Gurley played pretty well with a worse qb, worse receivers, just about as bad of an oline, and also in a very tough division. Oh and he had to rehab from a torn knee.

You agree to what I'm saying: He will be given every chance to succeed to back the high draft pick. If he fails it won't be because of lack of opportunity and that's all I care about. He has the role locked up right now of being primary lead GL workhorse back.

As far as the knee goes, the Bolts aren't overly concerned about it since they expect him to be ready for training camp. There is risk here, but considering the cost to acquire him in drafts, the risk is very reasonable but the reward is high:

Melvin Gordon (knee) has taken part in some team drills at Chargers OTAs.
Gordon was limited to individual work at the start of OTAs. His rehab has gone as smoothly as possible, but there’s still concern as he comes off microfracture surgery. The Chargers expect Gordon to be ready for training camp. Jun 1 - 6:56 PM

I like Duke Johnson in a ppr league .

Seems to be the Browns will be passing a lot to catch up .

Another long season .

• Like 1

Only two Wrs are projected to have more than 12 tds, Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham.

Last season there were 5 Wrs to have 12 or more tds. In 2014 there were 6.

You'd have to go back to 2011 since "only two" Wrs finished with 12 or more tds.

I think the floor is at least 4 Wrs to do it this year and a ceiling of 8.

Only two Wrs are projected to have more than 12 tds, Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham.

Last season there were 5 Wrs to have 12 or more tds. In 2014 there were 6.

You'd have to go back to 2011 since "only two" Wrs finished with 12 or more tds.

I think the floor is at least 4 Wrs to do it this year and a ceiling of 8.

Care to speculate who that will be besides AB and OBJ?

I think Nelson can reach 12 tds

I think AJG can reach 12 tds

Almost impossible to predict TDs, they are as flukey as any stat. But if I had to say who had the highest td potential besides those two it's Dez probably. Nelson is also a candidate but so is Cobb secretly with Nelson back. Maybe even Evans in his 3rd year rebound.

Almost impossible to predict TDs, they are as flukey as any stat.

Isn't that all the more reason to look at recent past history and recognize that the chances of only two wrs scoring 12 or more tds is very slim?

Julio, Dez, Hopkins, A Robinson, Alshon, Jordy, AJ Green, Marshall, Decker, Mike Evans, Cooper, Kelvin Benjamin, Keenan Allen, Demarius Thomas and several others have an opportunity to score 12 tds.

There will be more than two wrs finishing with 12 or more tds. If anyone believes otherwise, make me a bet and I'll take it.

Isn't that all the more reason to look at recent past history and recognize that the chances of only two wrs scoring 12 or more tds is very slim?

Oh I agree with you, after you showed what the average per year is. No reason to think it won't be around the avg. should be 4-6 who hit that mark. I just meant finding he guys that do it is always harder than people think during the preseason. People had Evans penciled in for 10tds last year and he gets 3. We always think we know but we really don't.

I'm not talking specifically RB receptions, I'm talking about his overall historic impact on offenses and therefore the production he's gotten out of his RBs.

For example, In 2010, under Jacksons guidance as offensive coordinator, the Raiders offense finished fourth in the AFC and sixth in the NFL in scoring (25.6 points per game). The Raiders more than doubled their scoring output from the previous year, totaling 410 points.

Under Jacksons offense, RB Darren McFadden finished the season with 1,157 yards rushing on 223 carries for a 5.2 average YPC and 7 rushing touchdowns. McFadden also had 47 receptions for 507 yards and 3 touchdowns. His end of year numbers were 1,664 total yards and 10 total touchdowns for the 2010 NFL season, making McFadden the NFL's 5th leader in total yards from scrimmage for the 2010 season.

I expect him to definitively improve Duke's production. He had 61 catches his first year! If you doubt he won't reach 80 then I don't know what to tell you bro. Plus Hue has been quoted as to saying he believes Duke is a capable 3-down RB. Barring injury this is about as close to a lock as you can get. Certainly better than a Woodhead projection of 78 catches unless Gordon goes down or severely disappoints.

You were specifically talking receptions and making shiit up after one season data on Gio. Nice try recovering from foot in mouth disease.