Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Le’Veon Bell - The hold out continues!

Playing devils advocate...remember what Tomlin did to FWP...ran the wheels of him.

Bell had 400 carries last year.

Tomlin even said he was going to run the wheels off him in a presser.

Sounds like revenge antics.

Playing devils advocate...remember what Tomlin did to FWP...ran the wheels of him.

Bell had 400 carries last year.

Tomlin even said he was going to run the wheels off him in a presser.

Sounds like revenge antics.

I like Tomlin because he knows who his play makers are and wants them to have the ball as much as possible. The opposite of a lot of coaches. Like thinking that not getting the ball to Tyreek Hill is a good idea.

I'm honestly surprised anyone who isn't independently wealthy would fault Bell for this. It's no different from any other organization: people want more money when they feel like they contribute a lot. Would anyone argue Bell doesn't contribute? Is he asking for money beyond what the organization can provide?

Pitt doesn't want to pay him and he's using the only leverage he has. Good for him.

There's nobody on here who lives in a world where this is the case. Nobody who works at a business, or hell, even owns their own business has ever said "I'm worth more than this, I'm going to stop working until they pay me more." I realize that most of us don't go to work every day with the risk of torn acl, mcl, etc hanging over our heads (however, that carpel tunnel is a B!TCH). I understand their career arcs are short, so are careers like modelling, acting, where you may be dependent on "youth" to do what you do. But no actor ever said "I'm underpaid, I'll make more if I don't work for a while". Athletes are delusional, and you're buying into it.

It's what you implied. And all RBs do work. And many carry the ball a lot, and catch the ball a lot, and don't get the luxury to stand behind a stellar line for 3 seconds before they make their cuts. Have you not watched Pittsburgh's offense at all? Also, not only do they have a stellar oline, they have a very good foundation QB, a HOF to-be WR, and have been a very good defensive team with steady offensive and defensive systems and a very good head coach that has been around for a while..

Bell has been great, but he is the Emmitt Smith of the 2010's. Yellow brick road to the HOF until now.

Its not what I implied. Its what you inferred and ran with. Enjoy that.

How much? And players only deserve what the team thinks he will be worth for the next 4 years. Is this not how things work for all of us all?

Yes it is. However at least some other teams WILL pay him what he is asking. Yet he cant move on. Unlike you or me.

The rules are in place. STeelers can lock him down with franchise tags. Bell can sit till week 10. Both are playing by the rules so not sure why Bell is the scapegoat.

RB hold outs remind O-Lineman how underpaid they are..

Insert next guy. DeAngelo Williams was a stud in this offense when given the chance, so will be the next guy.

Here is a fun stat, Bell had 321 carries last season... his longest run was 27yds. Trash. Yeah, I get hes a mule but also has 7 fumbles lost the past two seasons.. He needs paid now, because this is clearly his peak. He fails wherever he goes next. Bye-Bye

Yes it is. However at least some other teams WILL pay him what he is asking. Yet he cant move on. Unlike you or me.

The rules are in place. STeelers can lock him down with franchise tags. Bell can sit till week 10. Both are playing by the rules so not sure why Bell is the scapegoat.

It is super easy to blame the athlete, isn't it? He's famous, athletic, and by most standards quite rich. Lots of average Joe would take that so many have a 1 dimensional idea of 'being rich and famous'. And most dudes would like to be highly athletic if they aren't.

Outside of that, Bell has teammates to consider. And, by some of their increasingly public accounts, Bell doesn't appear to be communicating his plans with them either.

So, here Bell is: 'drawing a line' with his employer based on his usage/pay ratio and their unwillingness to give him the comfort of 'enough' guaranteed money. He's getting roughly 50 more carries and 20 more targets than other high-volume RBs over a season. He's getting about twice as much action as an average starting RB. He's 26. He wants to get paid while his body is still available. The performance cliff is steep for RBs. We all know this. Michael Turner. Thomas Rawls. Arian Foster. We could name names for a long time.

Bell wants to get paid for what he has done and can do while he can still do it, because the NFL mandates that approach for most non-QBs. AKA most other positions can't get off the couch and come make 10 million dollars like Cutler just did last year. Add in that Bell is surrounded by other players at other positions who have accomplished much less being given lots of guaranteed money and he probably has major hard feelings over it. IE: 3 or 84 with 84 guaranteed for Kirk Cousins.

From this keyboard, it seems like Bell has a decent gripe. And the Steelers are notorious for doing this to players. But Bell is going about things in a way that most likely won't be very effective. But the story is ongoing so until we KNOW FOR SURE how it all turns out, we don't really know how this will go. So I am not going to be burning any jerseys or delivering any hot takes on what he should do and how he should do it or how I'm the same as him because people expect me to work for a living. I'm sitting down in an office almost all day. I might get a spicy email every now and then or some jerk doesn't follow procedure somewhere along the way. I'm not getting hit 50-ish times every Sunday for half a year for a living.

I'm guessing he takes at least 1 or 2 games off and then shows up. We're lucky as fans if he gets traded elsewhere and paid. Then, we get to see how the rest of his career pans out and this series of shenanigans is behind us all. Fantasy-wise? Don't draft risky players early unless you cover yourself with viable alternatives and/or that risky player's known backup. I feel limited sympathy for folks with big benches who drafted Bell and didn't get Connor. It's negligence.

Steelers have once again shown themselves to be a scumbag organization. Bell would receive a better guarantee if he was on ANY other team.

In 2016 the Pittsburgh Steelers generated 401 million dollars in revenue.

Their salary cap that year was 155 million.

I get his fellow players being cheesed; he's making x more than them, it's a team sport, they've got the chance to go far into the playoffs.

I get his side from the business angle; limited time to earn, injury risk with lack of future guarantees, no real free agency for the best players due to the tag.

I get the fans grousing over a star player's holdout that could tank their superbowl hopes.

I do not get the keyboard warriors passing judgment on Bell's character or lack thereof. It's as if boreds like these are the yelp of the sports world.

The players do all the work generating the revenue and aren't even paid half of it. Broken down into individual player contracts and it's even more ridiculous. Bell touched the ball 400 times last season, and was in line for as much or more touches this year. What's so difficult to understand - why a player would want to save himself for a future employer or why he would not want to put his future earnings on the line for a team that has repeatedly lowballed him?

"He's selfish trash! Next man up will be just as good." seems to be a sentiment of many. The sentiment I share is more along the lines of "Wow the CBA is awful and elite fb players are getting screwed."

Compare contracts in the NBA or MLB to how players get paid in the NFL. Football players have the shortest careers and get the least money yet their game is the most popular and generates the most revenue. That's just wrong imo.

• Like 2

In 2016 the Pittsburgh Steelers generated 401 million dollars in revenue.

Their salary cap that year was 155 million.

I get his fellow players being cheesed; he's making x more than them, it's a team sport, they've got the chance to go far into the playoffs.

I get his side from the business angle; limited time to earn, injury risk with lack of future guarantees, no real free agency for the best players due to the tag.

I get the fans grousing over a star player's holdout that could tank their superbowl hopes.

I do not get the keyboard warriors passing judgment on Bell's character or lack thereof. It's as if boreds like these are the yelp of the sports world.

The players do all the work generating the revenue and aren't even paid half of it. Broken down into individual player contracts and it's even more ridiculous. Bell touched the ball 400 times last season, and was in line for as much or more touches this year. What's so difficult to understand - why a player would want to save himself for a future employer or why he would not want to put his future earnings on the line for a team that has repeatedly lowballed him?

"He's selfish trash! Next man up will be just as good." seems to be a sentiment of many. The sentiment I share is more along the lines of "Wow the CBA is awful and elite fb players are getting screwed."

Compare contracts in the NBA or MLB to how players get paid in the NFL. Football players have the shortest careers and get the least money yet their game is the most popular and generates the most revenue. That's just wrong imo.

Completely agree. The CBA is shlt. The players backed themselves into a corner and have the weakest players union. The sad part is that to change the franchise system, the players are going to have to concede something else to the owners. That's how they view the CBA. Something that is royally screwing the players and obviously needs changing, it's seen as a way for the owners to get something else in return for the next bargain.

The summer leading up to that last CBA was kind of a bummer. The first few weeks sucked pretty hard too. Amazing that these deals need to come down to the last second or worse. I have a feeling this next bargaining session will go into the season.

Steelers have once again shown themselves to be a scumbag organization. Bell would receive a better guarantee if he was on ANY other team.

I don't think so and why do the Steelers owe him more than $14.5 million? I think they paid him $12 million last year. If I am right on those numbers isn't that $26 million for two years of service?

I don't think so and why do the Steelers owe him more than $14.5 million? I think they paid him $12 million last year. If I am right on those numbers isn't that $26 million for two years of service?

Not to say he is underpaid but they want to give him a 1 year contract, he could get a 2-3 year deal with any other management team than the Steelers.

He will never pay out the entirety of the deal but not guaranteeing any of it is a bit much.

Not to say he is underpaid but they want to give him a 1 year contract, he could get a 2-3 year deal with any other management team than the Steelers.

He will never pay out the entirety of the deal but not guaranteeing any of it is a bit much.

Supply and demand dude. Look how many rookies are impacting the league over the past few years. Plus, Bell is set for life already before the age of 30 if he hasn't blown it all. How is that mistreating a player? He is healthy, wealthy, and can use his brains to get another $14.5 million this year and then quit entirely if he wants with more than enough to live well for the rest of his life. There are a whole lot of RBs out there that can not say the same thing.

Why is a franchise the devil if they don't want to give a player more than 1 year contract? Are you going to start breaking down all players in the NFL to check and see if the team is evil or not for what they offer someone?

Supply and demand dude. Look how many rookies are impacting the league over the past few years. Plus, Bell is set for life already before the age of 30 if he hasn't blown it all. How is that mistreating a player? He is healthy, wealthy, and can use his brains to get another $14.5 million this year and then quit entirely if he wants with more than enough to live well for the rest of his life. There are a whole lot of RBs out there that can not say the same thing.

Why is a franchise the devil if they don't want to give a player more than 1 year contract? Are you going to start breaking down all players in the NFL to check and see if the team is evil or not for what they offer someone?

You dont seem to get it.

He plays a game as an entertainer....

To get paid for his entertainment, he would make 14.5m this year alone.

Can’t forget what he’s already made, plus all the endorsements he has.

That is comparable to winning the lottery. Not good enough, but that is the rules of the CBA.

One thing is clear. He is consumed with making more money. That is clearly greed which is more important to him than any thing else including his teamates, winning, the organization or his fans.

Reap what you sow.

You dont seem to get it.

Please explain then.... Or are you out of touch so much that you can't speak anymore about the topic?

He plays a game as an entertainer....

To get paid for his entertainment, he would make 14.5m this year alone.

Can’t forget what he’s already made, plus all the endorsements he has.

That is comparable to winning the lottery. Not good enough, but that is the rules of the CBA.

One thing is clear. He is consumed with making more money. That is clearly greed which is more important to him than any thing else including his teamates, winning, the organization or his fans.

Reap what you sow.

Yep. True, true, true, and very true. He is consumed with money more than anything else. Is this what we grew up on as kids admiring those that exhibited greed over profession?

Please explain then.... Or are you out of touch so much that you can't speak anymore about the topic?

You guys dont seem to understand negotiating and getting what you are worth on the open market. You all are so old school that you say it must be greed.

Lets say you work under contract at a regular joes job. Your boss will only give you a 1 year deal and can lock you to it if he or she so chooses. All the while people in your field are getting multiple year contracts for the same work. Would you not fight for security?

I know you are a righty but you are talking like a lefty.

Some of you are so jealous of the crazy money these guys make that you refuse to understand their point of view.

Both parties are playing the game. Yet only one party seems to be getting any blame from you.

The steelers are trying to use up a mans prime at their leisure. Bell has played through injury multiple times. Carried the ball how many times? And instead of rewarding him they are USING him and locking him to it.

You guys dont seem to understand negotiating and getting what you are worth on the open market. You all are so old school that you say it must be greed.

Lets say you work under contract at a regular joes job. Your boss will only give you a 1 year deal and can lock you to it if he or she so chooses. All the while people in your field are getting multiple year contracts for the same work. Would you not fight for security?

I know you are a righty but you are talking like a lefty.

Some of you are so jealous of the crazy money these guys make that you refuse to understand their point of view.

Well, the difference here is that he is under contract to the league. I would not get down on him if he quit playing football or joined another football league or whatever. The thing is, he signed up for this and was happy as a clam at the start, but then realized he could excel and got paid as such. If he didn't excel, he would be hanging on for as long as he could to get paid $750,000 or so as long as he could.

Both parties are playing the game. Yet only one party seems to be getting any blame from you.

The steelers are trying to use up a mans prime at their leisure. Bell has played through injury multiple times. Carried the ball how many times? And instead of rewarding him they are USING him and locking him to it.

Yes. employers use employees to work for them. Crazy huh?

Are you blaming all the other teams now that they are not throwing 3 first round draft pick offers to the Steelers for Bell?

There is a salary cap in football. RBs are not worth the kind of money he is asking for long term. Period.

14.5m

Sorry, to push to be the highest paid player is greedy. Negotiating for that at the expense of your team, organization, fans and winning is not right.

Your examples are not helpful.

14.5m

Sorry, to push to be the highest paid player is greedy. Negotiating for that at the expense of your team, organization, fans and winning is not right.

Your examples are not helpful.

When everyone else is out to maximize their value, that's the system we have in place here in the US. The owners make more than every player combined on their team.

When everyone else is out to maximize their value, that's the system we have in place here in the US. The owners make more than every player combined on their team.

Yep. Maybe Bell then should own a team. Then he can be happy. Why doesn't he just go do that? Otherwise, he should just do what makes him happy elsewhere. He is in the league under the rules that the PA agreed to. If he doesn't like that, and he holds out on a team full of players and coaches that think they can achieve something they have worked for their whole lives, then whatever he gets from them, he has earned.

I give Bell a lot of credit for holding out for what he believe in. People in society often succumb to pressure.

Here's hoping Steeler go 2-8 during the 10 game holdout. :thumbsup:

Yep. Maybe Bell then should own a team. Then he can be happy. Otherwise, he should just do what makes him happy elsewhere. He is in the league under the rules that the PA agreed to. If he doesn't like that, and he holds out on a team full of players and coaches that think they can achieve something they have worked for their whole lives, then whatever he gets from them, he has earned.

It's his right to hold out though. It's his own money he is sacrificing. The league has their rules, and Bell has this option when he deems the rules unfair to him.

Well, the difference here is that he is under contract to the league. I would not get down on him if he quit playing football or joined another football league or whatever. The thing is, he signed up for this and was happy as a clam at the start, but then realized he could excel and got paid as such. If he didn't excel, he would be hanging on for as long as he could to get paid $750,000 or so as long as he could.

He did not sign up for a franchise tag. He has no other choice than to quit or play under it.

You guys act like you never seen a holdout before. There have been players who hold out while on a multi year contract that they signed up for. Bell has been handcuffed and used by the steelers last 2 years.

He is trying to secure his funds while he can knowing he plays an injury filled position and roll of 400 touch back. If steelers font want to sign him long term thats fine. No one is saying they have to.

• Like 1

I give Bell a lot of credit for holding out for what he believe in. People in society often succumb to pressure.

Here's hoping Steeler go 2-8 during the 10 game holdout. :thumbsup:

So long as Conner is a top 10 rb I would be down with that

It's his right to hold out though. It's his own money he is sacrificing. The league has their rules, and Bell has this option when he deems the rules unfair to him.

Sure it is his right. But when does life and experience come before money? Especially if you are already independently wealthy? His teammates are pissed at him. And I don't blame them.

He did not sign up for a franchise tag. He has no other choice than to quit or play under it.

You guys act like you never seen a holdout before. There have been players who hold out while on a multi year contract that they signed up for. Bell has been handcuffed and used by the steelers last 2 years.

He is trying to secure his funds while he can knowing he plays an injury filled position and roll of 400 touch back. If steelers font want to sign him long term thats fine. No one is saying they have to.

He did sign up for the franchise tag. It's part of the league rules that he joined into. How can you not understand this?

And I also think that other holdouts are out of line as well. Why sign a contract then? Just go year to year.

Sure it is his right. But when does life and experience come before money. Especially if you are already independently wealthy? His teammates are pissed at him. And I don't blame them.

His teammates are preparing to win football games. Be mad.

But why are you mad? Because he wants more money?

Again if this was a smaller scale money situation you wouldnt have a problem. It is a money and jealous of his that gives you the big problem.

The Steelers should have given him the multi year contract after 2016.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/leveon-bell-12329/cash-earnings/

He earned a total of 3.9 million during his first 4 season with the Steelers.

During 2 of those 4 seasons he PUT UP close to 2,000 total yards and 10 TD.

He was under paid and everyone knew it.

Did any of you knuckleheads here said BELL was under paid during those 4 years? No.

So shut the hell up. The man is doing what's best for him and his family. He's got 3 more years before the dreaded 30-year old running back label.

If you drafted him and stuck with him. Well tough luck. It's no different than an injury that occurs to 50% of all starting running back every damn year.

DEAL WITH IT.

His teammates are preparing to win football games. Be mad.

But why are you mad? Because he wants more money?

Again if this was a smaller scale money situation you wouldnt have a problem. It is a money and jealous of his that gives you the big problem.

Not at all. I have no concern about it other than I like football. It is very good entertainment. Bell is missing out on playing because he is more focused on money. When he is old and gray, he will not be happy about missing out on a possible superbowl season. I hope he gets traded to the Jets or Tampa and finds himself thinking of his past dreams of winning the superbowl and then has to bury them.

Of course, maybe his dreams are of money, not football. I am more interested in reading, watching, or hearing about people who make impacts on life rather than how much money they made.

The Steelers should have given him the multi year contract after 2016.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/leveon-bell-12329/cash-earnings/

He earned a total of 3.9 million during his first 4 season with the Steelers.

During 2 of those 4 seasons he PUT UP close to 2,000 total yards and 10 TD.

So? How much did he make last year? And how much are they offering him this year?

Doesn't anyone understand that the RB position isn't that coveted by NFL teams to pay them gazzions of dollars a year for multi years?

Bell is missing out on playing because he is more focused on money. When he is old and gray, he will not be happy about missing out on a possible superbowl season.

Newsflash buttercup. Atheletes play money. People work for money. That is what this is about. It is a job.

So? How much did he make last year? And how much are they offering him this year?

Doesn't anyone understand that the RB position isn't that coveted by NFL teams to pay them gazzions of dollars a year for multi years?

Because it's no longer a coveted position, he's got to play his cards right.

Newsflash buttercup. Atheletes play money. People work for money. That is what this is about. It is a job.

Not according to his teammates petal-blossom. Money is important, but so is the actual work they are doing.

I guess you haven't heard what they are saying about him.

What if all the greatest writers and mathematicians, etc. just quit what they were good at because they didn't get paid what they wanted? Life would suck.

What if all the greatest writers and mathematicians, etc. just quit what they were good at because they didn't get paid what they wanted? Life would suck.

If the market said they should get paid more, then they would. If it didn't, then they wouldn't.

If the market said they should get paid more, then they would. If it didn't, then they wouldn't.

Incorrect. You need to go reread your history. Van Gogh sold nearly nothing in his lifetime and life is better for us that he did what he did anyway.

Bell is understanding now that he is asking too much, else he would be playing football. That which he is very good at doing and could become very rich from if he plays this one year. But no, if he holds out until week 10 or whatever it is, then comes back and gets hurt, he then would have killed his hopes of a bunch of money, and lost a bunch of money by holding out. And, all his teammates will hate him. Great way to end a career.

Archimedes was killed by a roman soldier while he was thinking about a mathematical diagram out in the sand. Poor LeVeon Bell doesn't get his $1 billion dollar contract. Boohoo.

And Bell is simply an entertainer, not a life changer like those I mentioned above.