Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

Have you ever been a pallbearer

Is this a Yankee thing or a Catholic thing? I've never done it and never seen it done other than on tv.

Southern protestants don't carry caskets.

I'm neither Yankee nor Catholic. :dunno:

You were "just" asked...via text this a.m, before the funeral? As in hardly any notice?

Them: "What ya up to?"

You: not much, why?

Them: Joe died on Friday. Wanna be Pallbearer today at his funeral?

On a side note a buddy of mine said that at his funeral, he is requesting that the the pallbearers all wear white t-shirts with the word "Pallbearer" in black letters on both sides of the t-shirt to the funeral so that people will wonder "wtf is going on?! Why are people wearing those shirts?"

When I did it, they just asked four of us as the hearse pulled up. Had no idea.

Is this a Yankee thing or a Catholic thing? I've never done it and never seen it done other than on tv.

Southern protestants don't carry caskets.

On a related note, why go through the expense of a casket/burial in the first place? Cremation and scattered ashes is the way to go.

I've done it 6 times that I can remember. 3 Grandparents, 2 Uncles and my Sister in Law. I remember doing it when I was early teens and thinking how terribly heavy it was and hoping that I never have to do it again. Now I have no issue with it as I see it as a sign of respect that I was chosen to carry someone to their final resting place.

On a related note, why go through the expense of a casket/burial in the first place? Cremation and scattered ashes is the way to go.

The idea of a final resting physical location, be it a casket or cremation, is mostly for family to visit IMO. You have such a postmodernist approach to life, it's sad. :(