Sign in to follow this  
nzoner

Well I finally sold my direct mail business

After 27 years of direct mail marketing I finally sold my business to a much younger energetic man.I'll be staying on through the July mailing and then will be available as an advisor throughout a three year span as I'm also doing some owner financing.

As I type this I have mixed emotions as I'm about to close a quarter century chapter of my life but I'm also excited to see where this young man takes the publication as he if full of new ideas and to be 100% honest I was stale and burnt out.

I'm also excited that I'll now be able to spend more time with my fireworks business and may also have an opportunity to do some work with my fireworks wholesaler which will possibly include a trip to China to learn even more about the business.

Other than that the mrs and I have plenty of decisions to make in the coming months as we could sell our property here and semi-retire to Grand Lake as well.Everything is just a blur right now as my biggest concern is deciding whether or not I'm ready to slow down and live a very simple life as I'm a strong A personality and love being around people and going and doing while the mrs is on full disability and prefers staying home and reading a book.

Anyhow just wanted to share as over my 15 years as a geek we've discussed my businesses a few times.

Cheers

:cheers:

Nzoner...why don't you let me handle your retir.........

Never mind,

• Like 1

Nzoner...why don't you let me handle your retir.........

Never mind,

:D

just curious... direct mail is somewhat an "old school", "push marketing" approach... hasn't that industry taken a big hit over the last 5 to 10 years with the emergence of "pull" and "search" marketing?

:dunno:

Seems to me that direct mail success would come AFTER you've built a data base of prospects that found you... and you're then using direct mail to reach back out to them and put them in the "marketing funnel" again.

Good luck. Like I told people after I retired, work sucks, but not working sucks more. Working part time is just right for me.

• Like 1

Yes please don't be the old guy who let's someone inside their house for a "gutter inspection".

Also, I have a 401k so that makes me qualified to run anyone's retirement. Just in case you were looking for a guy to handle things while you gallivant around the world. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Good luck. Like I told people after I retired, work sucks, but not working sucks more. Working part time is just right for me.

Ahh the Walmart greeter stretch of life. Must be wonderful seeing all of those smiling faces just looking for a good deal.

just curious... direct mail is somewhat an "old school", "push marketing" approach... hasn't that industry taken a big hit over the last 5 to 10 years with the emergence of "pull" and "search" marketing?

Seems to me that direct mail success would come AFTER you've built a data base of prospects that found you... and you're then using direct mail to reach back out to them and put them in the "marketing funnel" again.

Our publication is what's called a walk saturation marriage mailer(numerous businesses going together to get their message to everyone) and yes it's taken a hit over the years but not as big as one may think,in fact at least in our area it's seen a resurgence.Many look at us as junk mail however in our defense our publication has no national BS or what I call scam ads,it's 100% local businesses all with great offers to the public.

• Like 1

Ahh the Walmart greeter stretch of life. Must be wonderful seeing all of those smiling faces just looking for a good deal.

I'd be Walter if it ever come to that,"Welcome to Wal-Mart get your sh!t and get out!"

Nzoner......I was just in the neighborhood and I noticed you have an issue wth your shingles on your roof...have you been up there lately?

I mean.....gosh I'd love to help you here so you don't end up with major water damage...but we are JUST...SO...BOOKED....UP.

Ya know what...screw it...I'm going against policy here...but I can reshingle your house tomorrow. That'll be $12,000.

Nzoner......I was just in the neighborhood and I noticed you have an issue wth your shingles on your roof...have you been up there lately?

I mean.....gosh I'd love to help you here so you don't end up with major water damage...but we are JUST...SO...BOOKED....UP.

Ya know what...screw it...I'm going against policy here...but I can reshingle your house tomorrow. That'll be $12,000.

Seeing that I live in a metal pole barn I'd say you're focked :wave:

Seeing that I live in a metal pole barn I'd say you're focked :wave:

Doesn't mean you can't add a layer of shingles for double extra protection. Some studies even say they provide triple extra double protection. I would at least consider the offer.

Doesn't mean you can't add a layer of shingles for double extra protection. Some studies even say they provide triple extra double protection. I would at least consider the offer.

That's what THEY say. But ya know...metal roof makes it more difficult..ill have to lay down some blah blah blah before i shingle it.

Luckily....it's on sale. $16,000 old timer.

That's what THEY say. But ya know...metal roof makes it more difficult..ill have to lay down some blah blah blah before i shingle it.

That's a deal. Blah blah blah is really expensive this time of year. I would also get his SS#, for tax purposes and stuff.

Great, now I can advertise in it :o

Just kidding, best of luck with your future endeavors. And if you feel like volunteering some of your free time I can hook you up :thumbsup:

• Like 1

How did you have a business that's a professional spam mailer and another that sells its products one day a year for July 4th?

Get off my damn lawn sonny!!

Just kidding, best of luck with your future endeavors. And if you feel like volunteering some of your free time I can hook you up :thumbsup:

Thanks and maybe,as long as I don't have to be around any bluegrass music.

Congratulations! Whish I could move on from my business but with a couple of young boys, it'll be another 15 years :(

• Like 1

Congratulations! Whish I could move on from my business but with a couple of young boys, it'll be another 15 years :(

I hope you mean your sons....

how could you not like this :dunno:

How did you have a business that's a professional spam mailer and another that sells its products one day a year for July 4th?

Seriously, two of the most annoying products going. Fock all that bullshiot that comes in the mail and gets immediately tossed and fock all those fireworks, I cheer for every person that loses a digit, etc. when they go awry.

Also, feel free to get off my lawn ASAP!

How much ya clear on the deal? B)

yeah, you need any tax credits? I have some for sale.

How far is Grand Lake from Arrowhead?

I am not a fan of fireworks because something always goes wrong. I have had shlt fly at me so many times. I don't even want to be around that shlt at all unless it's a pro doing it. Not worth losing my eye for a damn bottle rocket

Perfection. :thumbsup:

Why do you think he us retiring from the business?

How far is Grand Lake from Arrowhead?

3 hours give or take

I am not a fan of fireworks because something always goes wrong. I have had shlt fly at me so many times. I don't even want to be around that shlt at all unless it's a pro doing it. Not worth losing my eye for a damn bottle rocket

My advice is to quit buying black market.