Sign in to follow this  
420allstars

The Dynasty Q&A thread

thoughts on gates in a deep keeper or dynasty league?

this is the first year we will be requred to start a te. talked to the gates owner who also has graham he said he will be looking to move gates for picks. right now i do not have a te. its a 12 team league with 6 keepers. if you want gates what would you offer as far as picks? or do you pass on gates and take a chance on the draft.

on a side note we were informed about the new rule at last years draft and all of the quality te are on rosters. i draft from the 11 spot in all rounds

completed trade last night

Kellen Winslow, Nate Washington and 4.12 for Fred Davis (wash)

thoughts?

got a intresting Offer last night also.

Mike Vick and 1.04 for Phillip Rivers and Bradshaw

two things that everyone should know.

1: the first three picks will be: RG3, TRich, Luck

(almost 100% carved into stone.. one guy has 1.01 and 1.02 and is a Very good friend of mine. 1.03 has no QB whatsoever..)

2: I need RB's more then WR's.

rb's now: forte, bradshaw, shon green, Jquiz

wr's now: Jordy Nelson, Kenny Britt, Jeremy Maclin, Titus Young,

(no flex) start 2rb, 2wr,

3: My team is very solid with great IDP and finished 3rd overall

one big game from vick and I could have won it all..

Pretty sure I will say no but sure is Tempting! :banana:

thoughts??

1. No thoughts. This deal is well under earthshaking.

2. I'd keep Rivers and Bradshaw - I think both will have a rebound year.

Throwing this out there to anybody...who are your top five players in a rookie dynasty draft?

Throwing this out there to anybody...who are your top five players in a rookie dynasty draft?

Ask me in a week and I might give you a different answer.

If you could use a franchise QB, this is the year to draft one and my choice would be RG3 by just a nose over Luck. I think both would be in the top 5 based othe the BPA theory. After that, unless I really needed a WR, it would be Richardson, Martin, and Wilson in that order. Only if I really needed a WR would I draft one in the top 5. Right now I have it Floyd, Blackmon, and K Wright in that order.

But the draft this next weekend will probably change the order of my personal rookie dynasty picks.

1. Luck

2. RG3

3. Richardson

4. Martin

5A/B. Blackmon/Floyd

the top 3 seem simple

1: Trich

2: RG3

3: Luck

then alot will depend of landing spots for the top RB's and WR's

without knowing where they end up

4: Martin

5: Blackmon

1. RB drafted by the Rams. Time to find a replacement for SJax.

2. Fleener

3. Richardson

4. Floyd

5. RG3

this is all subject to change with the draft

Tough to really place the rookies without knowing where they end up. For instance, Doug Martin isn't likely to go in the first round of the NFL draft, but depending on his situation, he could end up in the top 3 of rookie drafts or outside the top 5 in my opinion.

Without knowing where they end up, I'm surprised how many people have Michael Floyd ahead of Justin Blackmon. Watched both of them a decent amount in college and I just think Blackmon is clearly the better prospect and player. He has a very high floor in the NFL in my opinion. His route running is superior to Floyd's and he has a great ability to adjust to balls in the air. I just like him a lot better. But again, where they end up could change that. :dunno:

2. Fleener

3. Richardson

4. Floyd

5. RG3

Fleener number two? :dunno:

really??

Trich at three :shocking:

Luck and blackmon not even in the top five? :shocking:

not to be a ###### but I think maybe you should study up a little before your draft :ninja:

Fleener number two? :dunno:

really??

Trich at three :shocking:

Luck and blackmon not even in the top five? :shocking:

not to be a ###### but I think maybe you should study up a little before your draft :ninja:

Flenner I'm riding the Graham and Gronk TE hype train. Plus have you seen the espn video package on this guy.

Richardson I like to see where he ends up.

Luck I know we're talking dynasty but I don't really seem him becoming elite. I'd rather have RG3 or maybe Tannehill depending on where he lands.

All this changes after this weekend and these guy are on real teams.

Pre-draft rankings

1.Luck

2.RG3

3.Richardson

4.Blackmon

5.Martin

Outside of the 2 quarterbacks, the other 3 can/will be flip flopped according to situation.

If Blackmon fell to the Jaguars @ #7, I don't think I'd have him in the Top 5.

I realize it depends on where they are drafted, but these five I think are pretty solid despite where they may get drafted (course the top two QBs are just about 100% set on who they will be drafted by):

Not ness. in this order:

Luck

RG3

Trent

Floyd

Blackmon

Martin could sneak in there depending on where he lands.

I'm picking at 7 so I've just been trying to guage who might be there for me to select. Tough for anyone to pick a TE in the first round of a dynasty league, but Fleener might need to be considered depending on who goes where. :unsure:

Took a look at my leagues dynasty draft last year, first round, just to get an idea of positions coveted...last year anyways...

6 RBs taken (one was a headscratcher, but could have still been a RB as the 13th overall pick was a RB, too) Most of these were made in the first half of the round...pick 7 or before.

3 WRs taken (picks 2,5, 8)

3 QBs taken (picks 9, 11, 12)

Perhaps, Luck and RG3 will fall. :unsure:

Looking for some early opinions on who my carry's should be for this year. Going into the 2nd year of our 5 year keeper, 12 team PPR. No rules on who can be kept, other than you must keep 3. 6 all TD's. Made a few moves last year which landed me a pretty good team, but lost in the finals (and $2K by 0.3!). Have all but my 3rd rounder in the redraft.

Here's my roster from last year.

Brady, Stafford

McCoy, Murray, M. Bush, Brown

AJ, Jennings, Harvin, VJax, L. Robinson

Hernandez, Finley

Biggest dilemna is who to keep at QB. Both could have huge years, but leaning toward Stafford if they pick up a couple of OL this week. McCoy is a given. My WR's are sick, but thinking AJ is still the pick there. The guy who has R. White has approached me with an offer of RW and his 8th and 9th, for my 1st, 2nd, and 5th. If I went that route, I'd have to pick up my RB2 in the 4th, but hell of a starting four. Opinions?

Looking for some early opinions on who my carry's should be for this year. Going into the 2nd year of our 5 year keeper, 12 team PPR. No rules on who can be kept, other than you must keep 3. 6 all TD's. Made a few moves last year which landed me a pretty good team, but lost in the finals (and $2K by 0.3!). Have all but my 3rd rounder in the redraft.

Here's my roster from last year.

Brady, Stafford

McCoy, Murray, M. Bush, Brown

AJ, Jennings, Harvin, VJax, L. Robinson

Hernandez, Finley

Biggest dilemna is who to keep at QB. Both could have huge years, but leaning toward Stafford if they pick up a couple of OL this week. McCoy is a given. My WR's are sick, but thinking AJ is still the pick there. The guy who has R. White has approached me with an offer of RW and his 8th and 9th, for my 1st, 2nd, and 5th. If I went that route, I'd have to pick up my RB2 in the 4th, but hell of a starting four. Opinions?

are we talking AJ green?

I'd keep: Stafford, Mccoy and Andre Johnson.. (but IMO Jennings and Vjax are not that far behind)

very solid team by the way.. too bad you have to toss so many back..

2. Fleener

3. Richardson

4. Floyd

5. RG3

this has to be a total joke.

Trent Richardson will be the # 1 rookie pick and its not even close.

As excited as I am for the draft today, its lost some luster with this idiotic thursday start.

Used to be fun sitting in front of a TV saturday morning and never moving.

As excited as I am for the draft today, its lost some luster with this idiotic thursday start.

Used to be fun sitting in front of a TV saturday morning and never moving.

I disagree.. I love the Primetime! its gonna be me and my best bud with a nice bottle of rye! two NHL game sevens and the draft! cant get much better IMO

I realize it depends on where they are drafted, but these five I think are pretty solid despite where they may get drafted (course the top two QBs are just about 100% set on who they will be drafted by):

Not ness. in this order:

Luck

RG3

Trent

Floyd

Blackmon

Martin could sneak in there depending on where he lands.

I'm picking at 7 so I've just been trying to guage who might be there for me to select. Tough for anyone to pick a TE in the first round of a dynasty league, but Fleener might need to be considered depending on who goes where. :unsure:

Floyd moves up a little, Blackmon down. I wouldn't discount Blackmon too much though. A. Johnson caught passes from David Carr for a couple years...

RBs Martin and Wilson both go late in the first round helping their cases.

1. RB t.richardson

2. RB d.martin (TB)

3. QB a.luck / rg3

4. QB rg3 / a.luck

5. RB d.wilson (NYG)

6. WR j.blackmon

7. WR m.floyd

8. QB b.weeden

9. WR k.wright

10. QB r.tannehill

11. WR a.jenkins

so far

1. RB t.richardson

2. RB d.martin (TB)

3. QB a.luck / rg3

4. QB rg3 / a.luck

5. RB d.wilson (NYG)

6. WR j.blackmon

7. WR m.floyd

8. QB b.weeden

9. WR k.wright

10. QB r.tannehill

11. WR a.jenkins

so far

I am focking :banana: I'm picking in the top 7 :banana:

1. RB t.richardson

2. RB d.martin (TB)

3. QB a.luck / rg3

4. QB rg3 / a.luck

5. RB d.wilson (NYG)

6. WR j.blackmon

7. WR m.floyd

8. QB b.weeden

9. WR k.wright

10. QB r.tannehill

11. WR a.jenkins

so far

So you are saying that in a dynasty league that a starting QB is a lower value than a guy who will be RBBC at best this year? Then at #5 another RBBC guy.

Currently I think the defensive players are going to have the quickest impact besides the QBs and maybe Richardson.

So you are saying that in a dynasty league that a starting QB is a lower value than a guy who will be RBBC at best this year? Then at #5 another RBBC guy.

I do not think Doug Martin will be in an RBBC 'at best' this year. He is much more talented than Blount. Plus we're talking dynasty.

David Wilson over Tannehill/Weeden - yes. Nothing against Bradshaw except he initiates a lot of contact that has led to injuries. I do not see Tannehill or Weeden as fantasy starting QBs. Do you?

If the Rams take WR Stephen Hill, I'd consider putting him at 7 for sure, 6 possibly, and maybe even ahead of RB D.Wilson at 5.

I'd always rank talent ahead of situation (a lot of people took Kevin Smith over Ray Rice because Balt had McGahee and McClain still). However, Blackmon in Jacksonville (Gabbert) may push that.

I would caution all that this is only round 1. There still a lot of pearls out there to find their landing spot.

I have thought all along that the talent difference between WR 1 and WR 20 in this draft wasn't that great and the "TOSSI" analysis will prove that.

Similarly, there are about ten RBs that have skill-specific talent who could be fantasy contributors if the situation matches the skill-set.

Based on ONLY the first round, here's who I see are the winners and losers"

Skill Position Rookies Picked:

Depending on need for a QB, for redraft it would be:

RG3

Luck

Wheeden

Tannehill

For Dynasty, Luck might be ahead of RG3 and Tannehill would be ahead of Wheeden.

Looking at RBs, the top 2 RBs drafted so far went to great situations, where their 3-down talent will be maximized.

In many rookie drafts, Richardson will go 1.01, and Martin will go 1.02. David Wilson will be the lesser part of the Giant RBBC, similar to the Jacobs role, and will make a great handcuff to relieve Bradshaw's chronic foot problem.

I own Bradshaw in two dynasty leagues, and in the league allowing drafting of some college players last year, I had traded for Wilson, so I've already got both parts of the NYG RB equation. Even without Bradshaw, Wilson will be an excellent RB after he learns the trade under Caughlin and Bradshaw.

Floyd will move well ahead of Blackmon now having a mentor like Fitz. I also think that Wright is a talented WR who is in an excellent spot to exploit his quickness. I was not that high on AJ Jenkins anyway and I'll be interested to see if Harbaugh is a drafting genius. But I just don't see it based on several factors.

This would be a rough general ranking:

Richardson

Martin

Griffin

Luck

Floyd

Wright

Blackmon

Wilson

Jenkins

Veteran skill position early winners and losers:

Winners:

FITZ - gets relief from stacked coverage

SKELTON - gets a nice WR2. (he's my sleeper to start at QB in AZ

Josh FREEMAN - better surrounding talent with a RB who can catch.

STAFFORD - upgrade to pass protection on O-line

BIG BEN, REDMAN - upgrade to Steeler O-line (REALLY like the DeCastro pick)

LITTLE - gets a little bump - I project Wheeden beats out McCoy.

ADP - upgrade to Viking O-Line

Losers

colt McCOY

BLOUNT

Da'rell SCOTT

Neutral

BRADSHAW

Don't base winners and losers based on which teams did not yet draft to a skill position of need. After Day 3 the total picture will become much clearer.

I would caution all that this is only round 1. There still a lot of pearls out there to find their landing spot.

Don't base winners and losers based on which teams did not yet draft to a skill position of need. After Day 3 the total picture will become much clearer.

I agree and there are a couple of players who can crack that top 5-7 players ranking I've been thinking about if they get drafted into the right situation.

But, it's fun to speculate round by round. :banana:

Im surprised the Niners took James.

Also surprised that Miller is still on the board

Im surprised the Niners took James.

Also surprised that Miller is still on the board

Not much surprises me regarding an NFL draft, but I'll grant you that SF taking A J Jenkins in the 1st and then James in the 2nd would qualify as a couple major surprises. But I can see him as a talented addition to the return game, and also being used in subpackages that get him in space similar to what New Orleans does with Sproles, and what KC tries to do with McCluster.

Even though I had him ranked as my 4th RB, I was one of the few who publicly stated that I was underwhelmed by what I personally saw in Lamar Miller's game. I probably ranked him that high, only because the rest of the draftnik community seemed to be enamoured by him and I figured that I was missing something. I'm even more surprised that Chris Polk hasn't been drafted yet. Perhaps there are medical issues that we don't fully know about.

Here's what stood out to me in rounds 2 and 3 for dynasty purposes (also posted in Dough Orth's threads for rounds 2 and 3):

The two guys who I elevated for dynasty purposes from round two are Fleener and Pead.

I know he has some real fans on this board, but I wasn't really too high on Fleener. He's not a do everything TE because of his blocking deficiencies, and if he had gone to the wrong situation it would have been bad for his dynasty prospects. Turns out that Indy was the perfect storm for him, being reunited with Andrew Luck. Even the Duane Allen pick in the 3rd round helps him IMO because he will be able to play as a true move TE, whereas Allen is more an H-back type. So I believe Fleener moves solidly into the 1st round for rookie dynasty consideration.

Likewise, Pead landed in a great spot for dynasty. At this stage in his career he is a natural 3rd down back - one of the better pass receivers and pass blockers in the class. So he should have some fantasy value from day 1 in PPR leagues. His deficiency is that he is a bit light (I believe 5'10, 197 is about right), and he would rather cut his runs outside than press then hole between the tackles. He will have a few years to add bulk, and he will be mentored by S Jax, one of the true pros at RB. Three years out he has a good chance at being a franchise RB. In addition to his early PPR value, there's a great chance he will provide extra value in leagues that reward return yardage.

Two guys also stood out for me from round 3 for dynasty purposes. They were Ronnine Hillman to Denver and Mohamed Sanu to Cincy.

Hillman is about the same size but not the blocker that Pead is. On the other hand, he's a more natural runner who despite his size will take it up between the tackles. I see him as more of a raw talent that needs to add a bit more bulk and get more experience. This year, the Bronco RB situation could possibly be a mess and Hillman is too raw to take over right away at any rate, but I believe he could be the franchise RB of the future for the Broncos. So I think that Doug under-rates Hillman's dynasty potential.

On the other hand, I agree with every word of Doug's write-up regarding Sanu. I see him as the perfect complement to A J Green, and he's a guy who could have immediate fantasy value.

In regards to the Sanu pick, what are the thoughts on the Bengals adding Marvin Jones to the WR corp. I've read some analysis that he draws some comparisons to Chad Johnson. Anyone have any opinions on his talent level or college career.

Also, I think Andy Dalton has the potential as a high-end QB#2 or possibly a low-end QB#1 with all these weapons in the next year or two.

In regards to the Sanu pick, what are the thoughts on the Bengals adding Marvin Jones to the WR corp. I've read some analysis that he draws some comparisons to Chad Johnson. Anyone have any opinions on his talent level or college career.

Also, I think Andy Dalton has the potential as a high-end QB#2 or possibly a low-end QB#1 with all these weapons in the next year or two.

If anyone has any Bengal, or Dyansty thoughts here. I'd be interested in this also.

Knowing I wasn't going to be able to draft Floyd or Blackmon. I spent alot of time looking at the tier 2,3, and 4 wr's. I came away really falling in love with 5 guys. 2 of them were Jones and Sanu.

Now I also have A.J. Green as my #1 wr (we start 4 in a ppr league).

But I also have Gresham as my #1 TE.

With both Jones and Sanu both going to Cincy. If I was to draft both of those kids, I'd have an awlful lot of eggs in one basket, and I'm now :cry: in my beer.

If anyone has any Bengal, or Dyansty thoughts here. I'd be interested in this also.

Knowing I wasn't going to be able to draft Floyd or Blackmon. I spent alot of time looking at the tier 2,3, and 4 wr's. I came away really falling in love with 5 guys. 2 of them were Jones and Sanu.

With both Jones and Sanu both going to Cincy. If I was to draft both of those kids, I'd have an awlful lot of eggs in one basket, and I'm now :cry: in my beer.

What number are you picking?

I would definetly avoid taking two rooks from the same team if a all possible..

What number are you picking?

I would definetly avoid taking two rooks from the same team if a all possible..

2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.10 (in a 12 teamer)

My need for wr's on my team, plus my draft slots made me look past Blackmon, Floyd, Wright, as all should be taken. My guess is the 2 qb's, Fleener (we can start a 2nd TE as a flex) and the top 3 rb's all will be gone also. Then there's 3 more picks before I come up.

That's why my rankings and research, really start with that group of players.

As a Bengals homer, this is how I view the Sanu & Jones picks. If you're in a PPR league, Sanu is the guy you want. He'll mainly play from the slot & rack up catches doing the underneath routes with Green & Jones trying to tear the lid off the secondary.

If you want a possible big-play guy, Marvin Jones would fit that role. Probably gonna be a little inconsistent points wise but has the opportunity to get single coverage with Green being the defenses focus.

But like a previous poster stated, I wouldn't take too many guys from the same team unless you plan on moving one of them to help your roster in another area.

Seems like this thread is starting to slow down. At least until training camp starts for us.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to share their worst trades they've ever done for a dynasty team. We all know that at the Dynasty level, there are no do overs next year. Bad trades and drafting can set your team back for years, just like an NFL franchise.

Two for me are: The year after Kevin Smiths rookie year. (I really wanted him in that draft too.) I still loved the kid, he had a good rookie year, and I needed a WR also. So I traded MDJ for Smith and Plaxico Burress. Feeling good at the time. But then Smith doesn't turn out to be the back I thought he could be. And Plaxico shoots himself in the leg. As it turned out. Half way through the year, I traded MDJ for nothing.

So then, after a bad year. I don't even remember how the draft went, but we're on to a new season. Now I'm desperate for a starting back, so I trade the next years draft picks, rds. 1,2&3 for Marion Barber (I always liked him too.) Well, :cry: Barber just got too beat up early, and in that draft it would have been the second pick in each round.

I absolutely destroyed that team with 2 trades in a span of 1 year. Giving away a stud RB and a years early picks for nothing.

This is the first year since, I can field a decent team.

Throwing this out there:

Who are your top 20 in a 1st year startup dynasty league? Thus far it looks as if the rookies will get thrown in with the rest of the players for our first draft and then separate rookie drafts thereafter. I've seen a couple people post links to dynasty sites who have top 200 players, but no one I've seen has top 200 with this year's rookies included.

I've never participated in a dynasty league before, so its been difficult to gauge value on rookies versus veterans. I'm having a hard time trying to differentiate value between someone like Gore versus the new kid Wilson that the Giants just drafted. One on the back end of the scale for sure (gore) and one up and comer (wilson), but for the first year of a dynasty league is it more advisable to draft rookie prospects early instead of more proven veterans?

In most of the mocks I've been doing @ FFC rooks like Richardson are going in the 2nd or 3rd - is his value higher in a dynasty league?

Throwing this out there:

Who are your top 20 in a 1st year startup dynasty league? Thus far it looks as if the rookies will get thrown in with the rest of the players for our first draft and then separate rookie drafts thereafter. I've seen a couple people post links to dynasty sites who have top 200 players, but no one I've seen has top 200 with this year's rookies included.

I've never participated in a dynasty league before, so its been difficult to gauge value on rookies versus veterans. I'm having a hard time trying to differentiate value between someone like Gore versus the new kid Wilson that the Giants just drafted. One on the back end of the scale for sure (gore) and one up and comer (wilson), but for the first year of a dynasty league is it more advisable to draft rookie prospects early instead of more proven veterans?

In most of the mocks I've been doing @ FFC rooks like Richardson are going in the 2nd or 3rd - is his value higher in a dynasty league?

Hey Ralph,

I am also in the league with you.. I am a pretty experienced with dynasty and I too am having a little trouble with the evaluations you mention so dont feel bad!

I guess the biggest thing you need to think about is if your going for broke first year or thinking about 3 years from now..

The best advise I can give you is build with both in mind, we have money on the line here so you need to score points from the get go.. keep in mind maybe 15-20 rookies a year make any impact for fantasy and probably only 5 or so max become starters first year..

you could just look at last years rookies and expect the same: a guy or two at each position will be starters.. after that I would wait on rookies and build to win,

hope that helps.. :cheers: