Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Amazon receives 238 bids for its second headquarters

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/amazon-receives-238-bids-for-its-second-headquarters/

Amazon says it received 238 proposals from North American cities, states and provinces interested in serving as the online retailer’s second home.
The tally, released on Monday, includes cities in 43 states, as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Outside the U.S., cities from seven Canadian provinces applied, as did cities in three Mexican states.
Amazon provided the tally in an update to the company’s website, but didn’t identify the bidders by name.
The disclosure comes after Amazon’s Thursday deadline for cities to submit bids on the company’s second headquarters campus, or HQ2. The company said last month that it would build out a second headquarters, equal to its Seattle campus, in some North American city, spending $5 billion over the course of more than a decade.
That promised economic benefit, bringing up to 50,000 jobs, drew submissions from hundreds of cities, including many that didn’t meet the criteria Amazon had laid out, including a metropolitan area of more than 1 million people and ready access to mass transit and a major airport.
Amazon’s bidders include most of North America’s largest cities, from Los Angeles to Chicago and Toronto, and some seen as longshots, such as Greensboro, N.C., and El Paso, Texas.
Amazon has said it will select a second headquarters site by next year.

Impressive.

Why the NFL gets tax breaks. People want them in their city/state

The NFL gets Federal Tax breaks, that is the issue. Apples nd Oranges!

you're an idiot.

The NFL gets Federal Tax breaks, that is the issue. Apples nd Oranges!

It's an example of why no corporate taxation should exist at all. Without it, costs decline.

Corporate taxation - its effect on the individual consumer - is best defined by this gif:

http://media.riffsy.com/images/6c50d9c7d3c47be4cf6060dd57a30843/tenor.gif

People pay more for products and services because the providers of such goods and services have higher costs to produce them as a result of being taxed to do so.

Obviously.

Tax breaks are NOT what this thread is about.

I can just imagine the sh1t cities and states offered amazon is some of these bids

Tax breaks are NOT what this thread is about.

I can just imagine the sh1t cities and states offered amazon is some of these bids

It'll make an Olympic bid look like a fruit basket.

Bezos will surely go the state where he can pay the most taxes and pay the highest living wages.

so you're saying Mexico is out?

Bezos will surely go the state where he can pay the most taxes and pay the highest living wages.

There is a reason no businesses operate in New York, Boston, San Francisco etc.

There is a reason no businesses operate in New York, Boston, San Francisco etc.

Massachusetts' Fortune 500 companies and their revenues, in millions, are:
13. General Electric (Boston), $126,661 (GE announced today their CEO is retiring.)
75. Liberty Mutual Insurance Group (Boston), $38,308
77. Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance (Springfield), $37,788
87. TJX (Framingham), $33,184
116. Raytheon (Waltham), $24,069
140. Staples (Framingham), $20,217
154. Thermo Fisher Scientific (Waltham), $18,274
248. Biogen (Cambridge), $11,449
271. State Street Corp. (Boston), $10,635
327. Boston Scientific (Marlborough), $8,386
334. Global Partners (Waltham), $8,240
358. Eversource Energy (Boston), $7,639
449. American Tower (Boston), $5,786
517. Hanover Insurance Group (Worcester), $4,946
584. LPL Financial Holdings (Boston), $4,049
649. Iron Mountain (Boston), $3,525
660. Analog Devices (Norwood), $3,421
666. Wayfair (Boston), $3,380
680. Skyworks Solutions (Woburn), $3,289
755. Hologic (Marlborough), $2,833
764. Clean Harbors (Norwell), $2,755
796. Boston Properties (Boston), $2,551
824. Parexel International (Waltham), $2,426
829. Cabot (Boston), $2,411
835. Alere (Waltham), $2,395
851. Akamai Technologies (Cambridge), $2,340
875. PerkinElmer (Waltham), $2,262
899. Waters (Milford), $2,167
922. Hospitality Properties Trust (Newton), $2,047

It was a joke edjr. Plenty of businesses operate in those cities despite high taxes.

sure it was

sure it was

Youre right, I actually think NYC is a business wasteland. :wacko:

Massachusetts' Fortune 500 companies and their revenues, in millions, are:

13. General Electric (Boston), $126,661 (GE announced today their CEO is retiring.)

They obviously wanted to pay taxes after Warren accused them of not doing so.

Priceless!

Amazon says it received 238 proposals from North American cities, states and provinces interested in serving as the online retailer’s second home.
The tally, released on Monday, includes cities in 43 states, as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Outside the U.S., cities from seven Canadian provinces applied, as did cities in three Mexican states.
Amazon provided the tally in an update to the company’s website, but didn’t identify the bidders by name.
The disclosure comes after Amazon’s Thursday deadline for cities to submit bids on the company’s second headquarters campus, or HQ2. The company said last month that it would build out a second headquarters, equal to its Seattle campus, in some North American city, spending $5 billion over the course of more than a decade.
That promised economic benefit, bringing up to 50,000 jobs, drew submissions from hundreds of cities, including many that didn’t meet the criteria Amazon had laid out, including a metropolitan area of more than 1 million people and ready access to mass transit and a major airport.
Amazon’s bidders include most of North America’s largest cities, from Los Angeles to Chicago and Toronto, and some seen as longshots, such as Greensboro, N.C., and El Paso, Texas.
Amazon has said it will select a second headquarters site by next year.

IDIOT!

Its kinda sad how everyones begging and groveling for it. Amazon are kinda d1cks but we knew that already

Its kinda sad how everyones begging and groveling for it. Amazon are kinda d1cks but we knew that already

This

Yep..at first I thought--Hey wouldn't it be cool..then I realized how much cack sucking these cities need to do and decided they can have it

I still say Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin or Atlanta get it.

Why Austin? No major airport, no significant public transportation that I can recall. Also the tech there is different than the kind of tech Amazon does. I just don't see it.

:dunno:

Why Austin? No major airport, no significant public transportation that I can recall. Also the tech there is different than the kind of tech Amazon does. I just don't see it.

Some folks are hoping we get it over in Houston, but I don't know if I see that, thr hurricane could have screwed any chances of having it

The airport aspect is noticeable negative for Austin, agreed... But Austin does have a lot of other incentives working in its favor... I came across this article in Business Insider that had me thinking.

Moody's looked at five of these factors: business environment (economic growth, the city's history of corporate tax incentives, and the region's credit ratings), a skilled workforce, costs (pertaining to real estate, taxes, energy prices, and labor), quality of life, and transportation. The analysts excluded Seattle, the home of Amazon's first headquarters.

Using data from local governments and community surveys, the report points to Austin-Round Rock, Texas as the top contender.

The airport aspect is noticeable negative for Austin, agreed... But Austin does have a lot of other incentives working in its favor... I came across this article in Business Insider that had me thinking.

Moody's looked at five of these factors: business environment (economic growth, the city's history of corporate tax incentives, and the region's credit ratings), a skilled workforce, costs (pertaining to real estate, taxes, energy prices, and labor), quality of life, and transportation. The analysts excluded Seattle, the home of Amazon's first headquarters.

Using data from local governments and community surveys, the report points to Austin-Round Rock, Texas as the top contender.

That traffic alone would make it drop off the list

This

Yep..at first I thought--Hey wouldn't it be cool..then I realized how much cack sucking these cities need to do and decided they can have it

Biz sense. You don't haz it.

WTF does "kinda d1cks" even mean when contemplating drawing a mega corporation to your State? You get Amazon with a major operation in your State, and you're fiscally more sound, and your citizens are going to earn more and pay more taxes.

This is not difficult to understand. You do what you should to make your State's environment as conducive to business as possible.

Smart Governors like Scott Walker of Wisconsin get it, and attract companies like Foxconn as a result.

WTF does "kinda d1cks" even mean when contemplating drawing a mega corporation to your State? You get Amazon with a major operation in your State, and you're fiscally more sound, and your citizens are going to earn more and pay more taxes.

This is not difficult to understand. You do what you should to make your State's environment as conducive to business as possible.

Smart Governors like Scott Walker of Wisconsin get it, and attract companies like Foxconn as a result.

I mean its a shame that cities are bidding for Amazon even though they are a notoriously bad employee. I understand why cities want those jobs and tax revenue.

I've heard that they can be difficult to negotiate with, but with their buying power, everybody wants to be in their umbrella. And this would effect more than the 50K that would work there, restaurants, bars, etc. would be booming too. It would be awesome for any city to get it

I mean its a shame that cities are bidding for Amazon even though they are a notoriously bad employee. I understand why cities want those jobs and tax revenue.

My SIL and BIL both worked for Whole Foods (not a store, but a fish place), which are embarrassingly bad to their employees. They literally get off Xmas and Thanksgiving off for Holidays :o

Can amazon be worse?

My SIL and BIL both worked for Whole Foods (not a store, but a fish place), which are embarrassingly bad to their employees. They literally get off Xmas and Thanksgiving off for Holidays :o

Can amazon be worse?

Google it. The jobs in HQ2 will be corporate so maybe thats different but their practices in shipping warehousing centers are nuts.

I've heard that they can be difficult to negotiate with, but with their buying power, everybody wants to be in their umbrella. And this would effect more than the 50K that would work there, restaurants, bars, etc. would be booming too. It would be awesome for any city to get it

Exactly. It's Walmart - having the same reputation - on steroids.

That doesn't make it a shame, and it's irresponsible to not attempt to draw a monster employer like Amazon. It would, perhaps, be a shame that an individual would take such a job.

But then consider this: in a market which is truly healthy - not 'liberal "we have to get used to the new normal of 10% unemployment"' healthy - the market participants are FORCED to adjust their employment practices to remain competitive with others.

In short: if you understand business and economics, you understand that the single biggest and most effective check on bad employers is great markets.

And not adding Amazon to a market is not the way to accomplish that.

That doesn't make it a shame, and it's irresponsible to not attempt to draw a monster employer like Amazon. It would, perhaps, be a shame that an individual would take such a job.

But then consider this: in a market which is truly healthy - not 'liberal "we have to get used to the new normal of 10% unemployment"' healthy - the market participants are FORCED to adjust their employment practices to remain competitive with others.

In short: if you understand business and economics, you understand that the single biggest and most effective check on bad employers is great markets.

And not adding Amazon to a market is not the way to accomplish that.

This post is full of straw men and nonsense.

Well, I'm convinced.

Anyone else? :doh:

For starters I never said cities shouldnt bid on HQ2. I said its a shame they are courting such a bad employer.

I would sit here unpacking your other strawmqn claims but that would only invite more Mensa Troubadour responses and you have more idle time than anyone else here.

HTH