Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Trump: We are staying in Afghanistan

Her brother is with Blackwater and her husband is with scAmway but I recommend judging her on her own merits. I like her anyway.

Are you F'ing kidding me? The one who thinks grade schools should have guns to protect from Bear attacks?

I'm under the impression that she is the most universally reviled and disrespected cabinet choices out there.

...But that's another thread.

• Like 1

That was pretty badass, which is the goal when you're sending other people's kids to die in a pointless nation building exercise on the public dime. :thumbsup:

Yeah, too bad we've heard that before:

"I don't our boys shipped halfway around the world Nation-Building!"

- George W. Bush. (look it up, that's a quote - one I'll never forget)

Yeah, too bad we've heard that before:

"I don't our boys shipped halfway around the world Nation-Building!"

- George W. Bush. (look it up, that's a quote - one I'll never forget)

" We are not about to send American boys 9 or ten thousand mikes away from home to do a job Asian boys should be doing for themselves". - Lyndon Johnson.

"As President, I will make the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban the top priority that it should be. This is a war that we have to win,” Barack Obama 2008

"As President, I will make the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban the top priority that it should be. This is a war that we have to win,” Barack Obama 2008

And a great job he did. Compare the deaths of US citizens on our soil during his 8 years against the 8 years before him. He kept us safe. :thumbsup:

And a great job he did. Compare the deaths of US citizens on our soil during his 8 years against the 8 years before him. He kept us safe. :thumbsup:

Many more attacks. Less body count. Stupid.

Many more attacks. Less body count. Stupid.

The attacks under Obama were these lone wolf losers working independently.

Don't forget killing bin Laden. Dub ya didn't know or care where OBL was. Obummer took out the trash. :bandana:

This wasn't so much a rallying speech as it was a CYA announcement........ You can't just do a 180* reversal on the longest lasting war in our history and sweep it under the rug. You have to get out in front of it and let the people know - especially one with the financial and personnel obligations of this magnitude... I'm not slamming the Prez for changing his mind, I'm not even calling him a flip'flopper - I commend him (actually) for getting the suits out of the decision making and bringing in the Generals.

But I do have concerns:

* The mighty Russians couldn't win in Afghanistan, took them 10 years to figure it out - but they finally did.

* Killing terrorists is great, but it's only a stop gap. Unless you plan on setting up permanent installations to enforce what you've accomplished, the rats will filter back in... And in the end, is this not Nation Building?

* On killing terrorists, how many is the goal, all? You can't 'kill them all, you can't kill years and years of hate taught doctrine. You take out the fathers - the sons grow up to fight, and their sons, and their sons, etc..

* Who is the bigger threat to American soil; the Taliban, or ISIS? Can we afford to fight both at the same time, do we have the resources? What if NK sees us stretched and decides to get in on the act?

The attacks under Obama were these lone wolf losers working independently.

Even the ones who pledged loyalty to isis or said they did it in the name of jihad? Nice try.

Even the ones who pledged loyalty to isis or said they did it in the name of jihad? Nice try.

Yes. That's often what lone wolf is in this case.

This wasn't so much a rallying speech as it was a CYA announcement........ You can't just do a 180* reversal on the longest lasting war in our history and sweep it under the rug. You have to get out in front of it and let the people know - especially one with the financial and personnel obligations of this magnitude... I'm not slamming the Prez for changing his mind, I'm not even calling him a flip'flopper - I commend him (actually) for getting the suits out of the decision making and bringing in the Generals.

But I do have concerns:

* The mighty Russians couldn't win in Afghanistan, took them 10 years to figure it out - but they finally did.

* Killing terrorists is great, but it's only a stop gap. Unless you plan on setting up permanent installations to enforce what you've accomplished, the rats will filter back in... And in the end, is this not Nation Building?

* On killing terrorists, how many is the goal, all? You can't 'kill them all, you can't kill years and years of hate taught doctrine. You take out the fathers - the sons grow up to fight, and their sons, and their sons, etc..

* Who is the bigger threat to American soil; the Taliban, or ISIS? Can we afford to fight both at the same time, do we have the resources? What if NK sees us stretched and decides to get in on the act?

The other concern...Russia is supporting the Taliban. I don't believe the president addressed that.

Killing terrorists was the rallying cry. He needs numbers to go up...so he rolls out some fresh meat.

watching a few ISIS videos don't make you part of ISIS. Hth

and ISIS will always claim responsibility for an attack

If I shoot up a nightclub wearing a Philadelphia Sixers jersey and yell 'trust the process', does it mean I was a member of the Sixers or the Sixers had any clue is going to happen? Stick with me kid, I'll teach you things

watching a few ISIS videos don't make you part of ISIS. Hth

and ISIS will always claim responsibility for an attack

If I shoot up a nightclub wearing a Philadelphia Sixers jersey and yell 'trust the process', does it mean I was a member of the Sixers or the Sixers had any clue is going to happen? Stick with me kid, I'll teach you things

Ok, cool. Protesting the removal of confederate statues doesn't make you a nazi.

Ok, cool. Protesting the removal of confederate statues doesn't make you a nazi.

Possibly the dumbest analogy I've ever read. Although, I suppose you could say one guy setting off and protesting himself doesn't make him one.

Her own merits are she is an idiot with no clue about education who got the job because of being a huge donor.

We've known her a long time in Michigan. I just laugh so much now that she's become a national figure. But seriously though, she does a lot of good with her charter school stuff, it's been a lifelong interest of hers, she puts her money where her mouth is and has been doing so long before the SoE appointment opened up. She really has been dedicated to education and she really does care and have a passion for this sort of thing and is doing what she thinks is best.

Feel free to argue about her competence, priorities, goals, and methods though.

Her own merits are she is an idiot with no clue about education who got the job because of being a huge donor.

We've known her a long time in Michigan. I just laugh so much now that she's become a national figure. But seriously though, she does a lot of good with her charter school stuff, it's been a lifelong interest of hers, she puts her money where her mouth is and has been doing so long before the SoE appointment opened up. She really has been dedicated to education and she really does care and have a passion for this sort of thing and is doing what she thinks is best.

Are you F'ing kidding me? The one who thinks grade schools should have guns to protect from Bear attacks?

I'm under the impression that she is the most universally reviled and disrespected cabinet choices out there.

...But that's another thread.

You're only now just getting to know her. She's been around for at least 30 years doing this stuff. She's a nice lady.

You can't claim Trump is somehow handing this war better when his big plan rollout is the exact same thing as Obama's.

Obama: "Close Gitmo!"

[speaks with SMEs on Gitmo]

Obama: "OK we have to keep Gitmo open"

Trump: "GTFO of Afghanistan!"

[speaks with SMEs on Afghan war]

Trump: "Ummm. yeah just keep doing that thing you were doing before"

I'm sure every POTUS has had big plans on foreign policy before taking office and spending time learning about the nuances and risks.

At the end of the day, Trump was at least smart enough to let someone write his speech for last night, not go off script, and take the advice of his generals - just like Obama.

Gitmo under Obama was just another example of his punkass method of doing what he wants and giving himself political cover. He didn't close it, he just let most of them out.

Gitmo under Obama was just another example of his punkass method of doing what he wants and giving himself political cover. He didn't close it, he just let most of them out.

He wanted to close it. It is still open. Therefore he didn't get what he wanted.

You voted for him. Or was that a lie too?

You voted for him. Or was that a lie too?

I did. And it took about 3 days the second time for me to begin to regret it. You voted for Bush, or were you on another one of your exoctic vacations?

I did. And it took about 3 days the second time for me to begin to regret it. You voted for Bush, or were you on another one of your exoctic vacations?

Voted for Bush. Correct. As for vacations, that was Disney time. Daughter was young. Went three times. Mostly during the Bush years. Good times.

Voted for Bush. Correct. As for vacations, that was Disney time. Daughter was young. Went three times. Mostly during the Bush years. Good times.

Took mine in January. I'm not a big fan, but I foresee more trips to the MK.

Took mine in January. I'm not a big fan, but I foresee more trips to the MK.

You're living a good life. You're just 20 years behind me.

She has been dedicated to anything but public education though.

And Ive read some of the charter stuff she has supported sucked ass did it not?

She has been dedicated to anything but public education though.

And Ive read some of the charter stuff she has supported sucked ass did it not?

What's so great about public education? If it were so good people wouldn't pay for private schools. If most Americans could afford it they would choose private over public.

I am not informed enough about the war in Afghanistan to have an opinion, ie i do not know the pros/cons of pulling out or staying in.

I hope it is the right decision.

I'd have to agree with this.

I find it appalling we've been there for 15 years. I highly doubt our continued presence there will accomplish much. But again, wtf do I know.