Sign in to follow this  
penultimatestraw

How common are good guys with guns?

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/602143823/how-often-do-people-use-guns-in-self-defense

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

It's a common refrain touted by gun rights advocates, who argue that using guns in self-defense can help save lives. But what is the actual number of defensive gun uses?

According to the Pew Research Center, 48 percent of gun owners say they own a gun mainly for protection. But for years, experts have been divided over how often people actually use guns in self-defense. The numbers range from the millions to hundreds of thousands, depending on whom you ask.

The latest data show that people use guns for self-defense only rarely. According to a Harvard University analysis of figures from the National Crime Victimization Survey, people defended themselves with a gun in nearly 0.9 percent of crimes from 2007 to 2011.

"The average person ... has basically no chance in their lifetime ever to use a gun in self-defense," he tells Here & Now's Robin Young. "But ... every day, they have a chance to use the gun inappropriately. They have a chance, they get angry. They get scared."

It's fine if you like firearms, but realize you ain't gonna save any lives with them.

Better to have a gun and not need it, than need one and not have it

Not really. The chances of needing the gun are smaller than the chance of having it, not needing it but having an accident.

Plus then throw in the typical concealed carry gun nuts opinion of what constitutes needing it. Bumped into you at the grocery store? Yea you will prob be itching to reach. Cut you off in traffic? You will be lookin at that glove box for sure, dont lie.

Not really. The chances of needing the gun are smaller than the chance of having it, not needing it but having an accident. Plus then throw in the typical concealed carry gun nuts opinion of what constitutes needing it. Bumped into you at the grocery store? Yea you will prob be itching to reach. Cut you off in traffic? You will be lookin at that glove box for sure, dont lie.

The numbers prove this to be indisputably true, yet the nimrods think they know better.

Not really. The chances of needing the gun are smaller than the chance of having it, not needing it but having an accident. Plus then throw in the typical concealed carry gun nuts opinion of what constitutes needing it. Bumped into you at the grocery store? Yea you will prob be itching to reach. Cut you off in traffic? You will be lookin at that glove box for sure, dont lie.

Complete lie. You are full of shiot. Those who take the time and effort to get their permit are not the ones who fly off the handle.

Complete lie. You are full of shiot. Those who take the time and effort to get their permit are not the ones who fly off the handle.

I agree with this, but the law treats all gun owners equally: the responsible well trained ones and the irresponsible cowboy fockwits.

Not really. The chances of needing the gun are smaller than the chance of having it, not needing it but having an accident.

Plus then throw in the typical concealed carry gun nuts opinion of what constitutes needing it. Bumped into you at the grocery store? Yea you will prob be itching to reach. Cut you off in traffic? You will be lookin at that glove box for sure, dont lie.

Stupid and wrong

It happens WAY more than people realize. Good guy with a gun doesn't fit the narrative so it rarely gets reported.

• Like 1

Really? Do you believe gun owners with a firearms permit are more likely to use their gun to thwart a crime than shoot themselves or loved ones? How do you know?

It happens WAY more than people realize. Good guy with a gun doesn't fit the narrative so it rarely gets reported.

The link mentions the controversy regarding guns used in self defense, but ultimately the number of gunshot victims, both good and bad guys, don't add up.

The numbers prove this to be indisputably true, yet the nimrods think they know better.

Over 100 years of continuous gun ownership between me and my Pops. Zero accidental or purposeful shootings.

You're wrong, nimrod.

• Like 1

Doctors prescribing dope all over the place kills more people than registered gun owners. A lot more.

• Like 1

What penny and his Harvard fellow gun hater don't realize is that the power of private gun ownership is not in the use per se, but in the threat of use. Practically every house here has a pool. Yet I've heard that there are more guns than pools here. That's a lot of guns. Yet somehow this is a safe big city. If a bad guy walks down a street, he knows there is a good chance that each house he sees is armed. Hence it is safer. Especially for a border state where the Coyotes and other bad guys are definitely packing.

I've never owned a gun but I feel safer because my neighbors do. And you can't measure the objective benefits. :cheers:

The link mentions the controversy regarding guns used in self defense, but ultimately the number of gunshot victims, both good and bad guys, don't add up.

So I read this article and it's complete garbage.

The latest data show that people use guns for self-defense only rarely. According to a Harvard University analysis of figures from the National Crime Victimization Survey, people defended themselves with a gun in nearly 0.9 percent of crimes from 2007 to 2011.

But the research spread by the gun lobby paints a drastically different picture of self-defense gun uses. One of the most commonly cited estimates of defensive gun uses, published in 1995 by criminologists Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, concluded there are between 2.2 and 2.5 million defensive gun uses annually.

It's always a red flag to me when an author switches how data is presented. In this case percentages vs real numbers and the choice of words
"Defend themselves during crimes" vs "defensive gun uses annually"

The author is cherry picking stats and using word play to make his point

One of the main criticisms of this estimate is that researchers can't seem to find the people who are shot by civilians defending themselves because they don't show up in hospital records.

You don't have to shoot a gun to stop a bad guy or criminal. The threat of having a gun is usually enough.

Also crime prevention is just one of the many good reasons to support the 2A

• Like 1

So I read this article and it's complete garbage.

It's always a red flag to me when an author switches how data is presented. In this case percentages vs real numbers and the choice of words

"Defend themselves during crimes" vs "defensive gun uses annually"

The author is cherry picking stats and using word play to make his point

You don't have to shoot a gun to stop a bad guy or criminal. The threat of having a gun is usually enough.

Also crime prevention is just one of the many good reasons to support the 2A

I'm happy to pass the torch on this. I've successfully humiliated the anti-gun dipshits on this bored for years. They never want to acknowledge positive gun stories. Knock yourself out brother.

:cheers:

Who cares what the numbers say? Owning a gun is my right (and yours too, btw).

Everything is else is nothing but noise and whining.

Just like some guys carry a condom with them with zero chance of actually using it. Better to have it and not need it and whatnot.

And how does that make you feel

the question is who does that make me feel and the answer is yer mom.

:banana:

You son of a....

I was just about to respond with this. I can't believe he lobbed such an easy softball to you like that. :lol:

• Like 1

Several years ago I heard a car door outside my home. Took a peek out the window to see if I had company and saw gangstas trying to steal my car.

Grabbed the shotgun, went outside and audibly shucked a shell into the chamber. At that time they fled to the getaway car and reversed at speed into a ditch and fled on foot.

Called the cops to file a report and found out that the getaway car was stolen and that they stole another car and led police on a high speed chase that eventually led to another accident and their arrest.

Mr Mossberg was directly involved in the apprehension of a gang of focking thieves.

• Like 1

Several years ago I heard a car door outside my home. Took a peek out the window to see if I had company and saw gangstas trying to steal my car.

Grabbed the shotgun, went outside and audibly shucked a shell into the chamber. At that time they fled to the getaway car and reversed at speed into a ditch and fled on foot.

Called the cops to file a report and found out that the getaway car was stolen and that they stole another car and led police on a high speed chase that eventually led to another accident and their arrest.

Mr Mossberg was directly involved in the apprehension of a gang of focking thieves.

Mossberg 590...........when you absolutely have to make every criminal in your driveway sh!t their pants..................accept no substitute.

the question is who does that make me feel and the answer is yer mom.

:banana:

You have no chance with my mom.

well then all you need is a recording of that sound (insert leftist here)

lets make a shotgun sound app and sell it to soy boys

You have no chance with my mom.

That's why I carry chloroform with me. Condoms and chloroform.............never know when a party is going to break out.

That's why I carry chloroform with me. Condoms and chloroform.............never know when a party is going to break out.

:lol:

So you do have a chance. Use the condom.

• Like 1

I'm sure she's a nice lady but I can't take chances with creating any Filthy Jr.s One is enough.

I don't want a Filthy half brother/sister

• Like 1

Anyone can fly off the handle. Its a human thing.

Over 100 years of continuous gun ownership between me and my Pops. Zero accidental or purposeful shootings.

You're wrong, nimrod.

Well that settles it. A two person study.

:lol: