Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

Wildman's Wedensday Session--Who Do I Pick?

I just traded away Ronnie Brown for Tiki Barber. Did I do the right thing? Btw, no ppr and it is not a keeper league. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Wildman-

I have a 12 team draft coming up playing the following:

QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, DEF, D, DB, DL

Points are as follows:

Passing Yards (50 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (4)

Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Receptions (.5)

Reception Yards (20 yards per point)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

This is my fourth year in the league, and the draft order has been determined and I am 12th in the first round and first in the second, 12th in the third, etc. (back to back picks)

The half point per reception is an addition to our league this year.

My Thought Process:

I know for pretty much a fact that I am not going to be able to draft a top tier RB. Also, I tend to play defensive roulette throughout the year and I generally reserve the last four picks to fill out the defensive side of the draft. I am also a fan of QB/WR combos, and I feel like my first two picks should be along those lines, taking advantage of the new .5 per reception points. Picks 3-4 would be RB/WR, and 5-6 would most likely be another QB/WR. Top kickers in our league score between 120-160 points, and I am considering taking at least one top K early that would benefit from the initial QB/WR combo pick. Then fill out the TE's and late second and third tier WR's and RB's.

In my position, is having a couple of top reception WR's the best move for the position that I am picking in? Overall, it could mean another 100 points, which could be a difference maker.

I know that this probably seems to be an unconventional way to handle the draft, but I feel like I need to take advantage of some other things since I know that certain players won't be available by the time my first two picks roll around.

Thanks for your time.

Uncle Smashmouth

Personally, I'd probably go RB-WR in rounds 1&2 for the fact you might be able to land an RB that gets a lot of receptions like Brian Westbrook. If not, then I can see going for two WRs of the caliber of Chad Johnson/TO or Fitz/Holt, etc.

You just need to remember that backs for the most part are still king in this league type. Check out the Second part of the Crank Scores series on the home page for the some info about ppr leagues. Of course you ppr league is valued less than what I mention because it's only .5 per reception.

I was offered Tiki Barber & Julius Jones for Da Caddy & Randy Mcmichael. I was also offered Tiki Barber str8 up for Ronnie Brown. I honestly think that Ronnie Brown and da Caddy will be top 10 rb's this year and that Tiki is getting up there in age and that Jacobs will be taking away a lot more carries especially at the goal line. Jones might be injury prone and I heard that he will be sharing carries with M. Barber III. Any thoughts??

I have Brown and Caddy in the top 10 this year, but I'm more of a risk taker than some. I'd stick with those two and be happy.

I just traded away Ronnie Brown for Tiki Barber. Did I do the right thing? Btw, no ppr and it is not a keeper league. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

As I mentioned, I would have kept Brown, but it's not a huge deal. I still think Tiki will be a top 10 back. He's just had a lot of carries and also had a huge year, so the statistical likelihood of him repeating that level of play from 2005 is pretty low. See the RB Workload article on the home page for more info.

While on the topic of Ronnie Brown.....what do u think of this deal (Dynasty with performance scoring)

Dom Davis and Chad Johnson for Ronnie Brown and Larry Fitzgerald

While on the topic of Ronnie Brown.....what do u think of this deal (Dynasty with performance scoring)

Dom Davis and Chad Johnson for Ronnie Brown and Larry Fitzgerald

I love that deal--take it. Johnson is terrific but Davis' knee is a concern and Fitz is capable of putting up comparable numbers to Johnson. In essence you get two players that should produce as well, if not better, now AND should continue to produce for longer than at least Davis.

No question, take it.

I'm struggling with who to take with the 4th pick of my league. We award .5 PPR for RB's and because of this I was going to take Tiki. However now I'm leaning towards Portis due to Saunders use of throwing to RB's and WAS improved o-line/offense. Do you think Portis will either a] get enough completions to warrant this pick, or B] score 2+ more TD's to compensate for the 25 or so completions less he will get over Tiki. I'm even slightly considering passing on both and going right for Lamont but that OAK team scares me. What would you do?

Thanks alot,

:wacko:

I'm struggling with who to take with the 4th pick of my league. We award .5 PPR for RB's and because of this I was going to take Tiki. However now I'm leaning towards Portis due to Saunders use of throwing to RB's and WAS improved o-line/offense. Do you think Portis will either a] get enough completions to warrant this pick, or B] score 2+ more TD's to compensate for the 25 or so completions less he will get over Tiki. I'm even slightly considering passing on both and going right for Lamont but that OAK team scares me. What would you do?

Thanks alot,

:dunno:

I have Portis as my 2nd RB overall in my most recent projections. I think his yardage and tds will make up for any shortage in receptions. Look at Holmes and Faulks numbers under Saunders:

Last Name	Team	Year	Rush Att	Rush Yds	Rush Tds	Rec Yd	Rec Td	FF Pts
Holmes	kan	2002	313	1615	21	672	3	372.7
Holmes	kan	2003	320	1420	27	690	0	373

Faulk	ram	1999	253	1381	7	1048	5	314.9
Faulk	ram	2000		 253	1359	18	830	8	374.9
Faulk	ram	2001	260	1382	12	765	9	340.7

I have a tough time believing Portis won't get at least 3-4 td receptions and 300-400 yards receiving. He had over 300 yards receiving in his first two seasons in Denver. I'd expect 500-600 receiving and 1200-1400 rushing plus double digit rushing Tds.

Hey Wildman:

Draft in 1 week:

1 ppr, 6 pts per td pass/rush, rest is pretty standard.

1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 FLEX.

I have the I currently have the 6th overall pick in my draft.. I just got offered to switch with the number 1 spot.. with 1 catch... he gets my 3rd round pick and I get his (he would be getting 1st pick 3rd round and im back to 6th pick 3rd round), then after that im back in the 1 spot for the rest of the draft...

would you do this?

basically I can go LJ, then anquan/moss, then reuben or chester...

otherwise i originally mapped out brown/sjax, then holt or westbrook (he may be avail), then droughns/taylor (if holt) or wayne/chambers (if westbrook)..

would u stay at the 6 the whole way or do this deal?

I posted this already but would definitely like your ideas:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=220065

Wildman,

I'm 12th pick in a fairly competitive league snake draft and I'm not sure the strategy to use here. We start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, Flex (WR/RB/TE), TE, K, DEF.

Yes, that's a lot of starters and makes things difficult.

Points are as follows:

10 yds rushing/receiving - 1 pt.

Receptions - 1 pt.

Rushing/receiving/passing TD - 6 pt.

25 yds passing - 1 pt.

Turnovers - -2 pts

I'm thinking I need to go RB-RB with the 1.12 and 2.1 picks, getting a combination of Jordan, Jackson, Westbrook, D. Davis, McGahee in that order because it's unlikely to get a starting RB with the 36th pick. Jordan and Jackson won't be there and Westbrook may not be either (the guy picking 11 has had him for the past two seasons). If those three go, should I go RB-WR and get a top-tier receiver, or should I stick with RB-RB and take a guy with diminished PPR value but overall solid numbers (for example a Rudi Johnson may still be around).

Thoughts? Picking 12th sucks. I've always been early to middle and don't know quite how to handle it.

Hey wildman,

I have the 9th pick in my draft. This is a standard scoring league. I have always gone the RB-RB route in previous drafts, but this year with the uncertainity of clear cut #1 RB's I'm thinking of going RB-WR. I figure Ronnie Brown may fall to the #9 spot do I grab him and then go after Fitz with my 2.02 pick or look at maybe Caddy or JJ with that pick?? Thanks for the help.

Hey Wildman:

Draft in 1 week:

1 ppr, 6 pts per td pass/rush, rest is pretty standard.

1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 FLEX.

I have the I currently have the 6th overall pick in my draft.. I just got offered to switch with the number 1 spot.. with 1 catch... he gets my 3rd round pick and I get his (he would be getting 1st pick 3rd round and im back to 6th pick 3rd round), then after that im back in the 1 spot for the rest of the draft...

would you do this?

basically I can go LJ, then anquan/moss, then reuben or chester...

otherwise i originally mapped out brown/sjax, then holt or westbrook (he may be avail), then droughns/taylor (if holt) or wayne/chambers (if westbrook)..

would u stay at the 6 the whole way or do this deal?

I posted this already but would definitely like your ideas:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=220065

Not sure, because both look enticing for different reasons. I don't like who you are thinking about picking in the 3rd round, but I think there's decent RBs that will available around then or even later. (Dillon, maybe/Benson...) I think staying at 6 gives you more consistent players if you have mapped it out accurately. Still, getting LJ and Boldin/Moss is nice, expecially if you are confident you can find that promising 3rd RB (maroney, addai, D. Williams, etc.) in rounds 4-6...

Hope that helps.

Wildman,

I'm 12th pick in a fairly competitive league snake draft and I'm not sure the strategy to use here. We start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, Flex (WR/RB/TE), TE, K, DEF.

Yes, that's a lot of starters and makes things difficult.

Points are as follows:

10 yds rushing/receiving - 1 pt.

Receptions - 1 pt.

Rushing/receiving/passing TD - 6 pt.

25 yds passing - 1 pt.

Turnovers - -2 pts

I'm thinking I need to go RB-RB with the 1.12 and 2.1 picks, getting a combination of Jordan, Jackson, Westbrook, D. Davis, McGahee in that order because it's unlikely to get a starting RB with the 36th pick. Jordan and Jackson won't be there and Westbrook may not be either (the guy picking 11 has had him for the past two seasons). If those three go, should I go RB-WR and get a top-tier receiver, or should I stick with RB-RB and take a guy with diminished PPR value but overall solid numbers (for example a Rudi Johnson may still be around).

Thoughts? Picking 12th sucks. I've always been early to middle and don't know quite how to handle it.

I think it's all about the attitude you take. I love picking last and had some of my best success from that tail end of the order. Here's my take on your questions: If you can get 2 of Jordan/Jackson/Westbrook then you are off to an excellent start. If not I would go RB-WR and then take a chance on one of those rookie RBs or diminishing PPR value guys. Guys I'd take chances on at RB in round 3:

Chester Taylor (good receiver)

Reggie Bush (I am considering him as an early, surprise pick)

T.Jones/C. Benson--see how it shakes out...probably wait til at least round 4

D. Rhodes/J. Addai--see how it shakes out...see above

After round 6 or 7...Marion Barber III. Good receiver and Parcells loves him. He reminds me of Curtis Martin..not too fast, great vision, tough runner.

You may also get a good shot at a top TE to begin round 4..

Good luck!

Hey wildman,

I have the 9th pick in my draft. This is a standard scoring league. I have always gone the RB-RB route in previous drafts, but this year with the uncertainity of clear cut #1 RB's I'm thinking of going RB-WR. I figure Ronnie Brown may fall to the #9 spot do I grab him and then go after Fitz with my 2.02 pick or look at maybe Caddy or JJ with that pick?? Thanks for the help.

I'd be happier with Brown and Caddy, although I am a big Fitz fan. If you have to go with JJ, I'd rather have Fitz. I believe MBIII will be the main back in Dallas by year's end...just my take.

Do I take Jay Cutler, Vernon Davis, or Mike Bell or any of the WR rookies in my rookie draft?

Looking for fantasy gold in 2-3 yr, not who is going to be best this year.

1 pt per 10 rec/rush

1 pt per 20 pass

1 pt per rec.

6 pt all TD

-2 per INT

Do I take Jay Cutler, Vernon Davis, or Mike Bell or any of the WR rookies in my rookie draft?

Looking for fantasy gold in 2-3 yr, not who is going to be best this year.

1 pt per 10 rec/rush

1 pt per 20 pass

1 pt per rec.

6 pt all TD

-2 per INT

Longterm, I'd go with Davis, Cutler, and Bell in that order. Here's why...

Vernon Davis is a stud WR in a TE's body and he works his butt off. I like where the Niners are heading and within 2-3 years, I have no problem believing he'll be the best TE in the game. If you want to take a chance on getting the best player at a position for a 4-5 year period, I think Davis will turn into that guy.

Cutler was my top rated QB in this draft. I don't think any of the QBs were elite prospects, but Cutler was the closest and could eventually ascend to that level of play with the right system/coaching. He is reckless, so the INT rules and the ppr is what gives Davis the edge.

I actually rated Bell an 85 out of 100 on my Rookie Scouting Portfolio grading. I was surprised he didn't get drafted and thought he'd at least be a 3rd-5th round pick with no problem. An 85 on my scale means he's got starter ability but has some minor deficiencies in his game that need development before he's an every down impact player. I like how he runs, but backs have a short shelf life compared to the other two positions. Plus I think Davis will be special. Bell is a guy that I think could wind up being a fine player, but w/ Shannahan's track record, he isn't likely the guy for 4-5 years although I hope it happens.

I have Portis as my 2nd RB overall in my most recent projections. I think his yardage and tds will make up for any shortage in receptions. Look at Holmes and Faulks numbers under Saunders:

Holmes	kan	2002	313	1615	21	672	3	372.7
Holmes	kan	2003	320	1420	27	690	0	373

Faulk	ram	1999	253	1381	7	1048	5	314.9
Faulk	ram	2000		 253	1359	18	830	8	374.9
Faulk	ram	2001	260	1382	12	765	9	340.7

I have a tough time believing Portis won't get at least 3-4 td receptions and 300-400 yards receiving. He had over 300 yards receiving in his first two seasons in Denver. I'd expect 500-600 receiving and 1200-1400 rushing plus double digit rushing Tds.

Do you still stand by this? I don't think Portis is an absolute wash and would feel fine taking him in the first round but even if he only misses a game or two I can't see him getting a full load the first few weeks. He also had some problems with his shoulder and lack of feeling (nerve damage) last year if you remember. Add that with the .5 PPR for RB's and Tiki should have the edge at #4 now you think? Or I can always ditch both and grab SJax, Lamont, or even dare I say Rudi!

Thanks man

:headbanger:

Do you still stand by this? I don't think Portis is an absolute wash and would feel fine taking him in the first round but even if he only misses a game or two I can't see him getting a full load the first few weeks. He also had some problems with his shoulder and lack of feeling (nerve damage) last year if you remember. Add that with the .5 PPR for RB's and Tiki should have the edge at #4 now you think? Or I can always ditch both and grab SJax, Lamont, or even dare I say Rudi!

Thanks man

:huh:

I'm worried about the guy, but I think he's still a late first rounder. I'll have more details in a column this week, but to summarize what I said:

The injury is a partial dislocation so surgery won't likely be necessary. Still, he'll probably need a harness which will make it difficult for him to do everything he was slated to do as a blocker or receiver. This could also effect his running style or his running style could impact his shoulder. A shoulder injury is a bad thing for a back because that's where they take the most hits. I like S Jax, but if you have Tiki, I might be more inclined to stick with him despite his heavy workload from last year. That's a tough call. I'd wait as long as possible to make that decision. If Portis' swelling goes down earlier than expected, it could be a good sign for you to keep him. Still it's a lot riskier than just a few days ago :D

I've got the 9th pick in a 10 man draft, I'm not sure whether I should take two RBs or an RB and a QB/WR for the 9th and 12th pick, cuz after that my 3rd and 4th will be not until the 30th and 32nd. I'm not sure what to do. We play QB, 2 RBs, 3WRs, TE, K and Def, with 3 flex players. Any suggestions?

Completions (.5)

Passing Yards (30 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (6)

Interceptions (-2)

Sacks (-1)

Rushing Attempts (.33)

Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Receptions (1)

Reception Yards (10 yards per point)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

I've got the 9th pick in a 10 man draft, I'm not sure whether I should take two RBs or an RB and a QB/WR for the 9th and 12th pick, cuz after that my 3rd and 4th will be not until the 30th and 32nd. I'm not sure what to do. We play QB, 2 RBs, 3WRs, TE, K and Def, with 3 flex players. Any suggestions?

Completions (.5)

Passing Yards (30 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (6)

Interceptions (-2)

Sacks (-1)

Rushing Attempts (.33)

Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Receptions (1)

Reception Yards (10 yards per point)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

Definitely have some suggestions: Your scoring system offers more points for RBs than QBs. This means if you're leaguemates understand the system, the demand for RBs will be greater than QBs or WRs. Now, you may want to go RB-WR, but I'd still probably go with 2 Rbs in a 10-team league. You should fine decent QBs in rounds 3 and 4 (even later) Check out my column on draft strategy for more of an explanation. It's on the home page at the top. If you have any follow up questions, just post again.

Good luck!

Hi,

like everyone else, I've got a draft coming up, 7 teams as of right now, maybe a couple more. Draft order is TBD. No keepers from last season.....there was no last season. In an attempt to even out the scoring between positions in this 1 QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, K, DL, DB, 6 Any, league, the administrator/commish has imposed the following scoring:

Rushing/Receiving/Passing TD = 6

Rushing 20yds = 1

100 yd rushing game = 1

Receiving 20 yds = 1

100 yd receiving game = 1

Passing 50yds = 1

250 yd passing game = 1

Int = -2

Fumble lost = -2

So, my question is: with passing TD's worth 6 instead of the usual 4, and rushing 20yds = 1 instead of the usual 10yds = 1, what does this do for the prospect of drafting quarterbacks? Where should Peyton go? Where should the tier 2 and 3 QB's go?

I've done the math with the projected numbers, and it seems that just in terms of points, it should read 1. Manning, 2-4 LJ,LT,SA (in no particular order) and then 5 thru wherever, a bunch of other quarterbacks befor you get to RB #4.

What am I missing? I suppose that because the quarterbacks ranked 2-15 are pretty close, and we only need 1, that the value of these guys goes down and we should be drafting RB's and receivers (before QB #2) before we're scraping the bottom of that barrell. But still, what about peyton?

Thanks

Hi,

like everyone else, I've got a draft coming up, 7 teams as of right now, maybe a couple more. Draft order is TBD. No keepers from last season.....there was no last season. In an attempt to even out the scoring between positions in this 1 QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, K, DL, DB, 6 Any, league, the administrator/commish has imposed the following scoring:

Rushing/Receiving/Passing TD = 6

Rushing 20yds = 1

100 yd rushing game = 1

Receiving 20 yds = 1

100 yd receiving game = 1

Passing 50yds = 1

250 yd passing game = 1

Int = -2

Fumble lost = -2

So, my question is: with passing TD's worth 6 instead of the usual 4, and rushing 20yds = 1 instead of the usual 10yds = 1, what does this do for the prospect of drafting quarterbacks? Where should Peyton go? Where should the tier 2 and 3 QB's go?

I've done the math with the projected numbers, and it seems that just in terms of points, it should read 1. Manning, 2-4 LJ,LT,SA (in no particular order) and then 5 thru wherever, a bunch of other quarterbacks befor you get to RB #4.

What am I missing? I suppose that because the quarterbacks ranked 2-15 are pretty close, and we only need 1, that the value of these guys goes down and we should be drafting RB's and receivers (before QB #2) before we're scraping the bottom of that barrell. But still, what about peyton?

Thanks

I see your point and it's good you did the research. What you have to watch for is league perception. I can see how you might be concerned if you have the #1 pick overall because you don't want to miss out on the best player if it is indeed Manning and not an RB. But I see how you don't want to take Manning if you realize you could get a fine QB with your 2nd pick on the way back. You'd obviously get a better handle on how things are going to go if you pick in themiddle to bottom half of the round but that's no guarantee.

I'd trust your numbers and go with Manning if he's really your top player by a significant margin. If he's just slightly better than the top runners, then you might want to reconsider. Check out the Crank Score Calculator (link on the home page) and enter your scoring system (if you haven't registered on MyFFToday--it's free--do that first so you can enter your league types and see projections). Once you see the crank scores for you league type, you should get an idea of whether Manning is more consistent than those top backs.

Hope that helps...

Hey Wildman,

10 teamer 1 keeper each I pick 4th

Rush/Rec. 1 point per 10 yards 5 point bonus @ 100 6 points per TD

Passing 1 point per 25 yards 5 point bonus @ 250 4 points per TD

Here's my dilema. I could keep Peyton and take a RB with the 4th overall pick. Or keep Ronnie Brown and take a RB with with the 4th overall pick.

Obviously the big three will have been kept. That leaves the possibility of landing Tiki Barber, LaMont Jordan, S Jax., or Portis with the 4th pick.

There's a slim chance I could keep Peyton and still get Ronnie with the 4th pick.

Hey Wildman,

10 teamer 1 keeper each I pick 4th

Rush/Rec. 1 point per 10 yards 5 point bonus @ 100 6 points per TD

Passing 1 point per 25 yards 5 point bonus @ 250 4 points per TD

Here's my dilema. I could keep Peyton and take a RB with the 4th overall pick. Or keep Ronnie Brown and take a RB with with the 4th overall pick.

Obviously the big three will have been kept. That leaves the possibility of landing Tiki Barber, LaMont Jordan, S Jax., or Portis with the 4th pick.

There's a slim chance I could keep Peyton and still get Ronnie with the 4th pick.

Keep Brown and pick another RB. Your point system doesn't make Peyton as valuable. If you pick Jax, Jordan, or Barber then you have 2 top 10 RBs. I know you probably love you some Portis, I did too, but I'm dropping him after this shoulder injury. Too risky, IMO. But maybe you take that chance since he is technically your second RB...regardless, RB is the choice.

Should I choose Jason Campbell??

http://www.myfantasyball.com/referral.php?id=1038 <----Go here and WIN Super Bowl Tickets!!

For what? Dynasty, Keeper, re-draft?

Dynasty, if it's a deep league sure he's worth it as a mid-to-late round pick. Anything other league? Late round pick at best right now and the rosters should be deep to warrant it. Otherwise, strictly waiver wire.

Wildman,

My league (re-draft, PPR) is adding two teams (12 to 14) this year and we have decided to change our lineup from 2 starting RBs to 1 (now: 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 Flex(RB/WR/TE), K, DEF). How should I approach my draft given this change?

Scoring is pretty standard plus a bonus point for 300+ passing yards or 100+ rushing/receiving yards. Also, passing TDs are 4 points.

At #4 I am leaning toward Tiki, but also considering SJax, LaMont, or maybe Edge (not sure about Caddy or RBrown in a PPR). Another potential option could be Portis with Betts as a handcuff -- might be a decent move given I can get away with 1 RB, but it feels risky.

How should I think about the single RB lineup? How should this affect my overall draft strategy?

Thanks for the help...

I am drafting tonight and I'm 5th, who should I take? I have serious questions about all the guys that will most likely be available:

- Tiki Barber

- Clinton Portis

- Edge

- Steven Jackson

- Ronnie Brown

What do you think, who would you take or would it be someone else?

I am drafting tonight and I'm 5th, who should I take? I have serious questions about all the guys that will most likely be available:

- Tiki Barber

- Clinton Portis

- Edge

- Steven Jackson

- Ronnie Brown

What do you think, who would you take or would it be someone else?

I am in the exact same spot and this is the first year of a keeper league to boot. I am leaning toward either s.jax or r.brown. but I feel like I am reaching for both. The other option for me is to take p.manning and just realize I have locked up the best qb for 5 years.

Wildman,

My league (re-draft, PPR) is adding two teams (12 to 14) this year and we have decided to change our lineup from 2 starting RBs to 1 (now: 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 Flex(RB/WR/TE), K, DEF). How should I approach my draft given this change?

Scoring is pretty standard plus a bonus point for 300+ passing yards or 100+ rushing/receiving yards. Also, passing TDs are 4 points.

At #4 I am leaning toward Tiki, but also considering SJax, LaMont, or maybe Edge (not sure about Caddy or RBrown in a PPR). Another potential option could be Portis with Betts as a handcuff -- might be a decent move given I can get away with 1 RB, but it feels risky.

How should I think about the single RB lineup? How should this affect my overall draft strategy?

Thanks for the help...

High reception backs should be a higher priority. I'd consider Tiki, Westbrook, and Jordan in the mix. Jax can catch, but not sure how many he'll get in that offense. I'd rather have Betts late and skip Portis at your pick alltogether because Portis could tough out the year but be a glorified RBBC. If you have Betts at least if Portis goes down, he's depth for you. POrtis at 4 is too high for me at this point with the nature of his injury. A week ago, I would have said he was a very good pick at that spot.

I'd pick RB first with your spot and then follow up WR-WR or WR-top TE.

Good luck!

12 team redraft.16 rds 2qb 4rbs 4wrs 2tes 2def 3krs. what rd would you take chicago def? Help.

Depends on your scoring system for defenses. If it counts sacks and ints for points. You should target them as one of your first defenses and probably between rounds 8-10. I wouldn't go much higher, because defenses aren't consistent scorers in most systems and you can find a quality defense on waivers in most leagues.

I am in the exact same spot and this is the first year of a keeper league to boot. I am leaning toward either s.jax or r.brown. but I feel like I am reaching for both. The other option for me is to take p.manning and just realize I have locked up the best qb for 5 years.

If the scoring system isn't geared towards QBs then I'd be more inclined to take either Jax or Brown due to the fact they have a balanced offense and youth on their side. Then again if you get Manning for 5 years that's probably a safer bet and a smart pick.

Here's the problem with the concept of "reaching." A reach is getting a player that is rated lower than where you picked him. Fine, but how much lower? If the guy isn't going to come back to you with the next pick and you like him more than the other players for what you feel are good reasons, then it's not a reach. Steven Jackson or Ronnie Brown is not a reach at #5 if you know he won't be back to you by round 2.

I like both of these backs.

Hey Wildman,

I am the 12th pick in a 12 man league and I need some advice. My league starts 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and 1 RB/WR. I get one point for every ten receptions/rushing attempts. I also get a point for every 10 yards receiving/rushing. All TDs are 6 points but only 4 for QBs.

I was considering taking two RBs with my first two picks. Then I would draft one RB and one WR in the third and fourth rounds. Since my league can start three RBs....it might be advantageous to start three good backs. I would then draft the best WR available.

What are your thoughts on this strategy? Who should I take with my first and second round picks? Carnell? Westbrook? McGahee? Or do you think I should go with Steve Smith in addition to a back? Should I take Peyton if he is available?

If you think I should take Smith, what RB should I take? If I do take Smith, should I follow up with two backs in the 3rd and 4th?

My thoughts are that I can get serviceable WRs in the middle rounds of drafts but all serviceable RBs will be gone early. If I can start three RBs, I might as well start three. But....Should I take RBs just for the sake of having RBs?

Here it is simply:

1. Since I can start three RBs, should I grab three in my first four picks? I would take two RBs with my first two picks and then a RB and a WR with my next two picks.

2. If no, should I take Steve Smith with one of my first picks? If yes, who should I take with him? And then what should I do with my 3rd and 4th round picks?

3. Basically, should I go RB/WR in the first round?

Thanks! As of right now I would take two of these with my first two picks: Carnell Williams, Brian Westbrook, and Willis McGahee. I would then take the best available RBs and WRs. But...anything can happen draft day. I could have ten different scenarios at the 12 slot...

Hey Wildman, Hey CT

I am the 12th pick in a 12 man league and I need some advice. My league starts 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and 1 RB/WR. I get one point for every ten receptions/rushing attempts. I also get a point for every 10 yards receiving/rushing. All TDs are 6 points but only 4 for QBs.This means your league is still geared towards RBs a bit more than most WRs

I was considering taking two RBs with my first two picks. Then I would draft one RB and one WR in the third and fourth rounds. Since my league can start three RBs....it might be advantageous to start three good backs. I would then draft the best WR available.Sounds like a pretty good plan to go 2 RBs with the first two picks, grab a top WR, and (IMO) then maybe consider a second WR or RB depending on who is available--be flexible

What are your thoughts on this strategy? Who should I take with my first and second round picks? Carnell? Westbrook? McGahee? If you get two of these three--or all three--you should be pleasedOr do you think I should go with Steve Smith in addition to a back? Should I take Peyton if he is available?I love Manning, but not enough as a fantasy QB to ignore the other positions this early with your league set up

If you think I should take Smith, what RB should I take? If I do take Smith, should I follow up with two backs in the 3rd and 4th? It all really depends on who is available. I think you can get a player that is close to Smith's production without taking that player in round 2--I think you'll have a greater dropoff in consistency if you don't get two RBs rather than the dropoff between Smith and the other WRs.

My thoughts are that I can get serviceable WRs in the middle rounds of drafts but all serviceable RBs will be gone early. I'd feel the same way If I can start three RBs, I might as well start three. But....Should I take RBs just for the sake of having RBs? Not if you are faced with picking a player like Willie Parker (if you don't think he'll be much better than say Rueben Droughns, who you can get later in the draft)

Here it is simply:

1. Since I can start three RBs, should I grab three in my first four picks? I would take two RBs with my first two picks and then a RB and a WR with my next two picks.I'd go into it with this as my approach

2. If no, should I take Steve Smith with one of my first picks? If yes, who should I take with him? And then what should I do with my 3rd and 4th round picks? Smith is great, but there are a half dozen to ten guys that could do as well or better

3. Basically, should I go RB/WR in the first round?

Thanks! As of right now I would take two of these with my first two picks: Carnell Williams, Brian Westbrook, and Willis McGahee. I would then take the best available RBs and WRs. But...anything can happen draft day. I could have ten different scenarios at the 12 slot...Good luck. I'd be happy with 2 of those three backs if one is Caddy. If one isn't Caddy, then I'd consider Smith and Westbrook/McGahee

Hey. Keep up the great work. I have a quesiton for you. Im in a league where you can protect any three players form your roster each year. I had no RB's worth protecting so i protected Fitz, R. Moss, and Gates. I had the 7th pick in my draft and took the best player available approach. There wasnt any running backs for me to chose from. And i hate the Rb's I have. We start 1 QB, 2 RBS, 3WRS, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DEF. No PPR. And I had the 7th pick and this is what my roster looks like:

*QB Hasselbeck(1)

QB Manning (6)

*RB Foster (3)

RB Dunn (4)

*RB D. Rhodes (5)

RB D. Williams (10)

RB C. Brown (13)

RB T. Jones (15)

*WR Roy Williams (2)

*WR Fitgerald (P)

*WR R. Moss (P)

WR Mike Clayton (7)

WR D. Bennett (8)

*TE Gates (P)

TE Mercades Lewis (12)

*K Reed (11)

K J. Wilkins (14)

*DEF Giants (9)

*-probable starter

(x)- round taken in

(P)- Protected

Now. There is one guy who protected R. Johnson, S. Jackson, and R. Brown and he drafted Ron Dayne. He has only four backs. His starting WR's are Chambers, Evans, and Reggie Brown. Nothing to special. I have obvious depth at QB and WR to were I think we could help each other out. Im not completely sold on Brown and Johnson isnt much of a receiver and the Bengals like to pass. I would prefer Jackson but would be happy with any three. So now my question is, who do you think it would take from my roster to get any of those three? I love my WR's and if possible would like to keep Moss, Fitz, Williams, and Gates. Otherwise, im willing to deal. Here's his roster:

QB Simms, Chris

QB Vick, Michael

RB Brown, Ronnie

RB Dayne, Ron

RB Jackson, Steven

RB Johnson, Rudi

WR Brown, Reggie

WR Chambers, Chris

WR Edwards, Braylon

WR Evans, Lee

WR Jennings, Greg

WR Williamson, Troy

TE Clark, Dallas

TE Miller, Heath

K Kasay, John

K Longwell, Ryan

DT Atlanta Falcons

DT Carolina Panthers

In our league the same number of player have to be traded from each team. So i couldnt give him 4 guys for one. It has to be 2 for 2, 3 for 3, etc. I was thinking Manning, and either a Rb and WR or two WR's for one of his three backs and any other two players he wants to throw in. If i trade with him for a back, i dont want 7 RB's thats why i would like to trade one of them. Anyways, i would appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks!!!

o.k here it is; I'm picking #10 out of 10 and i'm definitly going RB-RB (1st and 2nd round). My league rewards 6 points for passing TD and requires us starting a TE. Question is, in rounds 3 and 4 (back to back picks) would you go top TE like Gates (if he's there), Shockey or Heap and WR like Wayne, R. Williams, Boldin (thining Holt, Fitz, Owens will be gone) etc, or would you take a QB like Eli, Hass and WR? Either way, i will end up with a lesser tiered TE or QB if I wait ill bottom of the 5th. Which position do you perceive as having more value?

10 team, 1 keeper league. I have to choose between Portis, Jackson, and Brown as a keeper (standard scoring w/1pt per 2 receptions). I draft 7th in a non-serpentine draft, and also have the 2.4 and 5.4 picks (via trade).

Who would you keep, considering Portis' injury (still haven't heard any meaningful updates), and what position should I target in the 1st and 2nd rounds?

wildman - who do i target with the 7th pick in a 10-team keeper. I have LJ, LT, Holt. we start 2 RB, 2 WR and flex. rank these guys based on who is best for my team. LJ and LT have same bye week. non ppr league.

Dunn - has yards but hardly any td's.

Gore - now the man in San Fran with Norv, but will he stay healhty?

R. Wayne - Peyton throws to him, no edge.

R. Williams - healthy and in a Martz system.

Thanks for the help!

I'm picking #10 out of 10 and was pretty excited b/c i felt that there were 11 solid #1 rb's and i would be the only team to have 2 of them. Now, it appears that Portis is more hurt then before and i think there are only 10 backs. I don't think he'll go 1-9 and i aint touching him. My dilema is do i take 2 rb's now at 1.10 and 2.1? I'll get one for sure but do i reach and draft a McGahee or other lower tier back, or should i switch my focus to Manning or possibly a solid WR? If so, who is the #1 wr now? It aint TO.

ok, so here's my league

1qb

2rb

2wr

1rb/wr

1te

1def

points have changed since last year...

1 per rec.

1 per 20 yds. rushing or catching now (instead of 10)

1 per 50 yds. passing (instead of 25)

5 pt. bonus for any game over 300yds. throwing.

def and kickers standard

should this change my strategy for drafting at all? should i be loking at QBs with a lot of 300 yd games last year as going a little higher (i.e. warner?)? thanks for the input...

Hi! :cheers:

My company Strategic Sports Consultants is currently having a few positions for sports stats consultants for college and pro baseball & football (great money & awesome job!) If anyone is interested, please send me an email or reply to this ad below:

Unique Opportunity! Nationally known Sports Consulting Company looking for full or part-time sales representatives. Fascinating Industry, flexible hours along with a strong compensation program. Looking for people that love sports and want to be successful future business leaders of America. Learn more by emailing or calling Nick at 877-884-1744 – precision@mwt.net.

These jobs are only for those who love talking about sports stats, teams & players...it gives you the inside scoop on last minute game winning picks too!

Missy :blink:

Hi! :D

My company Strategic Sports Consultants is currently having a few positions for sports stats consultants for college and pro baseball & football (great money & awesome job!) If anyone is interested, please send me an email or reply to this ad below:

Unique Opportunity! Nationally known Sports Consulting Company looking for full or part-time sales representatives. Fascinating Industry, flexible hours along with a strong compensation program. Looking for people that love sports and want to be successful future business leaders of America. Learn more by emailing or calling Nick at 877-884-1744 – precision@mwt.net.

These jobs are only for those who love talking about sports stats, teams & players...it gives you the inside scoop on last minute game winning picks too!

Missy :mad:

Wrong place to be posting this SM...

Wildman.

It is your turn to draft, Mike Bell and Julius Jones are your two targets -which one do you take ina dynasty/performance scoring format?

I think Bell has HUGE upside an Julius is what he is - an average back with a poor O line and questions abound at WR and their QB spot.

Your thoughts?

Wildman.

It is your turn to draft, Mike Bell and Julius Jones are your two targets -which one do you take ina dynasty/performance scoring format?

I think Bell has HUGE upside an Julius is what he is - an average back with a poor O line and questions abound at WR and their QB spot.

Your thoughts?

Kind of along your line of thinking here:

I rated Bell an 85 out of 100 in my 2006 Rookie Scouting Portfolio despite the fact he was undrafted. An 85 rating is more equivalent to a 3rd-4th round pick--a guy that has starter ability but needs to refine his game somewhat. Pass blocking was one of those issues for him. He's a very good runner for Denver's system. In otherwords, he should have been drafted borderline first day in the NFL, but scouts and personnel types were too hung up on the combine scores. He also played on a horrible offense last year.

Jones to me is a guy that is better than Bell at this point, but I think his career will be headed in the opposite direction of Bell's. I think Marion Barber is breathing down Jones' neck for the starting job and it won't be long before he overtakes the Cowboy's starter. Bell has better vision, pass protection skills, receiving skills, and he finishes his runs better than Jones.

I'd take my chances with Bell...