Sign in to follow this  
Vince44

Fantasy football: Is it dying?

Short answer. Yes.

How the fock you going to reply in this thread but not in the drama queen one you started?

Is this about the Jorge Soler deal? :)

Last year was the first year I have not played since 1999. Both of my long term leagues dried up. I did not miss it. I agreed to get into a league this year and regret it. I do not have the time and really do not have a lot of interest.

I look forward to the draft, but care less and less as the season goes on. A couple years ago I started out 10-0 and didnt really care.

I'd be much more interested if daily ff was allowed in my state. I'm doing 1 money league and the geek league this year. It really has lost it's luster the last couple years.

• Like 1

draft is fun, thats about it for me, I dont even watch the games any more except the Chargers, but I am not really pumped for that even

its kinda done a full circle for me, more back to checking boxscores late at night like in the 80's when I started, maybe get to watch 1 or 2 games tops

I'm inactive on the waiver wire and find setting my lineup to be an annoyance.

Im still in two leagues, reluctantly. I forgot to cancel one league, felt like it was too late and didn't want to screw them by quitting too late. Other league was $10 so whatever.

After this year, I'm done.

I havent played in about four years. Dont miss it at all. I would be terrible now. I look over at the mange and dont even know who many of the players theyre talking about are.

Havent watched a complete nfl game in 3 years.

I havent played in about four years. Dont miss it at all. I would be terrible now. I look over at the mange and dont even know who many of the players theyre talking about are.

Havent watched a complete nfl game in 3 years.

There is almost no skill required. Draft according to the predetermined list that whichever site your using provides. Then sit back and hope you hit on a couple guys in later rounds.

There is almost no skill required. Draft according to the predetermined list that whichever site your using provides. Then sit back and hope you hit on a couple guys in later rounds.

Generally speaking I agree. But the margin of difference between the champs and the others is tiny. Making the right moves in season is clutch. I dont follow closely enough to do that anymore.

I was dropping leagues for a while, but have added leagues each of the last 2 years. I am currently in 2 redrafts and 4 dynasties, I hope to eventually get that to 1 redraft and 4 dynasties. I dislike redraft leagues and prefer reading up on rookies and fringe players.

FF is definitely dieing, but that does not matter to me. At one point even my co-workers who do not even follow football had multiple teams. It is alright and expected that they would eventually lose interest.

I sign up for free leagues...auto draft...and just let the computer pick my people

I think it is. what was an obsession for me is now just a profitable hobby. I am very much ok spending less time on it.

How the fock you going to reply in this thread but not in the drama queen one you started?

Is this about the Jorge Soler deal? :)

Your post does not compute. WTF are you speaking about?

I think its info overload nowadays. I won leagues because of the research that I used to do. I picked up guys like Dominick Davis, Quentin GriffiTH, and Marques Colston before other guys. Its just not fun anymore.

• Like 1

When I see things like that ESPN fantasy marathon I feel a little stupid playing.

I think its info overload nowadays. I won leagues because of the research that I used to do. I picked up guys like Dominick Davis, Quentin GriffiTH, and Marques Colston before other guys. Its just not fun anymore.

That edge is nonexistent these days. It took 20 or so years but people are finally realizing that actually winning FF games is almost all luck. You can win 67-65 or lose 155-160. The only skill is managing a team to consistently make the playoffs. Actually winning a playoff game is almost entirely up to chance. This is simple math and the concept of variables.

That said, Id doubt the numbers are down and Id say as many or more people play than ever before, but thats a guess.

• Like 1

Yeah. Thanks all.

Now I have to quit all my Geek Club

Leagues

FVCK

That edge is nonexistent these days. It took 20 or so years but people are finally realizing that actually winning FF games is almost all luck. You can win 67-65 or lose 155-160. The only skill is managing a team to consistently make the playoffs. Actually winning a playoff game is almost entirely up to chance. This is simple math and the concept of variables.

That said, Id doubt the numbers are down and Id say as many or more people play than ever before, but thats a guess.

Stop playing head to head. It's stupid.

Stop playing head to head. It's stupid.

This for sure, great point. Total points is a far greater tell of season success, its just not as fun or competitive.

Nothing can top the feeling that guy gets when he is 6-1 with the 2nd fewest points scored in the league but he thinks hes some kind of football genius. Meanwhile you are 2-4 with the most points scored and he gets to talk down to you just because the head to head matchups lined up that way.

I quit cold turkey after 20+ years, best thing I ever did.... But never underestimate the number of fantasy nerds out there devoted to the end, not to mention new nerd recruits sprouting yearly.

• Like 1

Probably cause of the protests. :mellow:

Seriously I began playing just as it was becoming a thing in the late 90s. I was in my 20s then. Now Im in my 40s with kids and not much time or money to dedicate to it.

I suspect a lot of people who played when it just stared have aged out of it. The sport is also much worse today than it was then and FF is over saturated. Not only does everyone have all the same info but now every league has someones kid or wife in it. Its just not as fun anymore.

I went down to one work league the last few years and probably wont even do that this season.

This for sure, great point. Total points is a far greater tell of season success, its just not as fun or competitive.

Nothing can top the feeling that guy gets when he is 6-1 with the 2nd fewest points scored in the league but he thinks hes some kind of football genius. Meanwhile you are 2-4 with the most points scored and he gets to talk down to you just because the head to head matchups lined up that way.

Don't play total points either. Breakdown is the way to go. We switched in 2007 and the best, healthiest team has won almost every year. A few years we had some barn burners the last week.

Eeeehhh, I don't agree. Later round pickups win you alot of leagues. Those good picks are made with research of coaching style and history. Being a geek definitely helps. Injury puts the luck into it alot

I quit cold turkey after 20+ years, best thing I ever did.... But never underestimate the number of fantasy nerds out there devoted to the end, not to mention new nerd recruits sprouting yearly.

This will be my second year of not playing after 13 previous playing. The spell has been broken and even the NFL games offer little to make me want to watch.

I dropped down on my league count to 1, but then the commish and my friend convinced me to come back. I still love it. I love finding the hidden players, because they still exist. When I was planning on only doing my one dynasty this year, it was a little depressing that was all I had to look forward to. Two leagues is perfect imo. I have just as much fun researching

Eeeehhh, I don't agree. Later round pickups win you alot of leagues. Those good picks are made with research of coaching style and history. Being a geek definitely helps. Injury puts the luck into it alot

I agree that the later round pickups do win you a lot of leagues, but as soon as some so called experts get on board with a guy, they shoot up the draft board.

Alvin Kamara is a guy who if you happened to take a flyer on last year, it paid off big time.

I agree that the later round pickups do win you a lot of leagues, but as soon as some so called experts get on board with a guy, they shoot up the draft board.

Alvin Kamara is a guy who if you happened to take a flyer on last year, it paid off big time.

Case in point, Marquise Goodwin. People are saying you need to take him in the 5th now. No value in that

Case in point, Marquise Goodwin. People are saying you need to take him in the 5th now. No value in that

I won't forget when Arian Foster burst onto the scene. Chick in my work draft grabbed him in the 4th round. I was like WTF? How would you have any idea?

My 4th year out. But I know I could get back in and this time not spend 40 hours a week on my team, I just know it.