Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Derrius Guice, Redskins

Guice was considered one of three backs to be worthy of a first-round pick, so the fact Washington landed him with the 27th pick in the second round makes for a solid value pick which also fills a need. There are reports of him not interviewing well with teams, but chances are he will end up being better than the seventh-best player at his position. His 2016 game tape was definitely first-round worthy, as he took over for an injured Leonard Fournette and ended up leading the SEC in rushing. Guice models his game after Marshawn Lynch, so it goes without saying he is perhaps the most physical runner in this class. Assuming he is the 2016 version of himself as a pro - as opposed to the injured shell of himself he was in 2017 - Guice should bypass Samaje Perine as the Redskins' lead runner and serve as the early-down complement to Chris Thompson. Consider him a high-upside flex option in redraft for now - Perine is hardly a slouch - with RB2 upside if he can wrap up the starting job. Guice should be a top-five-selection in rookie drafts.

Great landing spot for him as it pertains too volume.

He should be the rb1 week one

Great landing spot for him as it pertains too volume.

He should be the rb1 week one

I agree he should be the man, but don't underestimate Perine - like I said above.

The only problem here is gruden. He kicks guys to the curb if they don't fall in line.

I agree he should be the man, but don't underestimate Perine - like I said above.

You truly believe that Perine is better then his 3.4 avg last season?

I don't claim to know what Gruden is thinking. I have virtually no confidence in his ability to make a good (or the right) decision.

1.02 in rookie

If you are drafting right away be careful..............on TV they were giving multiple reasons he fell including an allusion to an "ongoing investigation that could prove very embarrassing to him and the the team that drafts him".

Shortly after he was taken a different commentator says there is no question he will show his ability "when he makes it onto the field"................there is more going on here than we know about for him to have that many RBs taken ahead of him.

Just saying do your work and/or break ties in favor of another prospect you rate as highly until all is revealed.

I think its petty crap that is clouding his character

I think he's going to be a good one

And he does have a chip on his shoulders, I can see middle rb2.

He and Thompson should make a very good combo.

Just a tough spot because the Skins might just be a really bad team this next season.

A RB that's seeks contact and has already been hurt? No thanks.

The trend for some reason the last couple of years is that every rookie rb and wr gets hurt. Maybe it's all the millennials refusing to play through owies.

The trend for some reason the last couple of years is that every rookie rb and wr gets hurt. Maybe it's all the millennials refusing to play through owies.

Playing devils advocate here but would you play through an injury or risk a surgery that might fix something in order play when if something goes wrong it could cost you millions?

The rookie wage scale is what makes these kids cautious.

I'd absolutely play through minor injuries. No question at all.

Lots of them do.

It seems like more guys are coming out of college with significant injury histories than before too. I have no data for that. Just my perception of it.

I can’t say I’ve done film study on both but I saw several of Perines college games against non-Big XII competition and he never showed much against teams from other power 5 conferencens.

I think Fat Rob will be more of an obstacle because of his experience and the fact he’s likely a better blocker.

I can’t say I’ve done film study on both but I saw several of Perines college games against non-Big XII competition and he never showed much against teams from other power 5 conferencens.

I think Fat Rob will be more of an obstacle because of his experience and the fact he’s likely a better blocker.

I don't claim to know what Gruden is thinking. I have virtually no confidence in his ability to make a good (or the right) decision.

As I said above, I have a lack of faith in Gruden. Guice is a much better and more complete back IMO.

Its really tough to say. some RB's take a year or so to come into their own as players. It is possible the light will switch to the on position and he will be fine.

but given last year's performance I really cannot blame the team for drafting a RB. If you have to endure that stat from the guy likely to be your starter, you have problems.

It would not surprise me if the staff give him a chance to remain the starter, but it will likely be in the form of an 'open competition' where the team hopes someone will step up and force them to make him a starter due to his great play.

Oh you mean Leonard Fournette

Not sure, but the Skins had 1 lineman played 16 games and even he played hurt and was shuttled in and out. The rest of the starting Oline played 14, 10, 9, 7. For comparison, the Cowboys Oline win 16,16,16,13,13. Eagles went 16,16,15,11,10.

I think the Skins will limit Guise to 150 or so carries with a majority coming in the 2nd half. He'll go way earlier in drafts than he should.

As far as Perine goes, I think he gets a lot of work early in the season.

Not sure, but the Skins had 1 lineman played 16 games and even he played hurt and was shuttled in and out. The rest of the starting Oline played 14, 10, 9, 7. For comparison, the Cowboys Oline win 16,16,16,13,13. Eagles went 16,16,15,11,10.

I think the Skins will limit Guise to 150 or so carries with a majority coming in the 2nd half. He'll go way earlier in drafts than he should.

Thank you for that insite on this situation, appreciate it.

Eh that doesnt really tell the story. The Cowboys line wasnt the supreme machine we were led to believe without EE. A superior back matters. Guice is miles ahead of Perine & Kelley, hes a RB1.

Eh that doesnt really tell the story. The Cowboys line wasnt the supreme machine we were led to believe without EE. A superior back matters. Guice is miles ahead of Perine & Kelley, hes a RB1.

What's the deal with all the attitude stuff in the news?

Some good quotes from HC Jay Gruden on Guice...

“He has some improvement to do in the pass pro, without a doubt, and I think he'll be the first one to tell you,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. “That’s something that sometimes in college, with only 20 hours of practice a week, some of the fundamentals as far as pass-blocking sometimes gets swept by.

“He's more of a first-, second-down banger. But I've seen him at his pro day catch the football. He can catch the football fine, but really, our role for him is quite easy to see. It’s first, second down.”

He has some improvement to do in the pass pro, without a doubt, and I think he'll be the first one to tell you, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. Thats something that sometimes in college, with only 20 hours of practice a week, some of the fundamentals as far as pass-blocking sometimes gets swept by.

He's more of a first-, second-down banger. But I've seen him at his pro day catch the football. He can catch the football fine, but really, our role for him is quite easy to see. Its first, second down.

Add in they have Chris Thompson (I think he is healthy?) and that probably equates to a 20-25 catch year for Guise. I never really liked him for PPR fantasy and will most likely not invest in this guy. I think he will need to score a bunch of TDs to be relevent in a PPR and that is hit or miss from game to game.

“He has some improvement to do in the pass pro, without a doubt, and I think he'll be the first one to tell you,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. “That’s something that sometimes in college, with only 20 hours of practice a week, some of the fundamentals as far as pass-blocking sometimes gets swept by.

“He's more of a first-, second-down banger. But I've seen him at his pro day catch the football. He can catch the football fine, but really, our role for him is quite easy to see. It’s first, second down.”

I think this tells us what we need to know.

it says he has the ability to grow into something more, but right now he's a 1st and 2nd down player.

I'd suggest hes more valuable in a keeper/dynasty than he is in a redraft.

With Thompson healthy I cant see him being worth more then a rb2 in ppr.

Thanks.

Add in they have Chris Thompson (I think he is healthy?) and that probably equates to a 20-25 catch year for Guise. I never really liked him for PPR fantasy and will most likely not invest in this guy. I think he will need to score a bunch of TDs to be relevent in a PPR and that is hit or miss from game to game.

20-25 is probably generous. Thompson was on his way to a huge year, and will most likely do it again. 70 balls for Thompson, along with 80-100 carries. The question is who will get the ball at the goal line.

I don’t think he will get that many rushing att 80-100.

I see it being more like his 2016 numbers.

About four per game.

With Guice he Thompson won’t need too be used in the running game as much as they needed him last season.

I think 65 or so rush att.

I drafted my man Guice 2nd overall in a dynasty draft. My main concern is I don't trust the coaching staff.

I drafted my man Guice 2nd overall in a dynasty draft. My main concern is I don't trust the coaching staff.

Have the 1.02 in our upcoming draft and was all in on taking Guice prior to his being selected by WAS. Now I'm not so sure.

I don't trust Gruden and think the skins are the most disfunctional team in the league. I'll likely take another target or move back.

I think it’s a tie with the Bengals.

I think Washington has far more disfunction than the Bengals.

Not that I'm saying the Bengals are good. I really think Washington is THAT bad.

keep in mind we are rating the disfunction, not the team itself.

I think it’s a tie with the Bengals.