Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Russell Wilson's new deal - wow.

And you can stick a fork in the seahawks organization...

He has earned it and is worth it. I cant believe people are doubting that. Sure the Seahawks would have been better off paying less, but that wasnt an option. You would honestly let him walk for this much money? If the Seahawks let him walk then you could officially put a fork in them. Without an elite qb a team has almost no shot. Wilson is that, an elite qb. Good for the Seahawks for making the right call.

He has earned it and is worth it. I cant believe people are doubting that. Sure the Seahawks would have been better off paying less, but that wasnt an option. You would honestly let him walk for this much money? If the Seahawks let him walk then you could officially put a fork in them. Without an elite qb a team has almost no shot. Wilson is that, an elite qb. Good for the Seahawks for making the right call.

stick a fork either way, you get to that level and suddenly role players get paid like stars, stars get overpaid on the market, and you have to overpay your game manager QB which stretches depth even more...

Pats are lucky that Brady has always been a team guy giving flexibility for them to maintain for so many years...

I will add that once Manning, Brady, and Brees are all gone, who is left as elite qbs in the league? Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Flacco, Big Ben (maybe Foles but i know no one agrees). Thats it. Plus flacco and Ben still arent at the level of Brady Manning and Brees. Its not like the league is being flooded with good qbs.

Without an elite qb a team has almost no shot. Wilson is that, an elite qb.

You can stop here - this is the entire argument/point. You think Russell is an elite qb. Myself, and many others, do not - certainly not worth this much........ Russell has been great in the system and role he's been placed in. With so much committed to him there - only a matter of time before the pieces around him leave or are told to leave bcoz they can't afford them.

I pretty much agree with this. It's a sh1t ton of money no doubt but you have to have a good-great QB to succeed in the NFL anymore. You just have to. I'm a Bills fan and I would normally be extremely giddy with the upcoming season with all the talent that they have. But they don't have it at the most important spot unfortunately so expectations have to be reeled back in.

I will add that once Manning, Brady, and Brees are all gone, who is left as elite qbs in the league? Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, Flacco, Big Ben (maybe Foles but i know no one agrees).

You're mentioning Wilson in the same breath as Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees and Luck? Oh dear...

stick a fork either way, you get to that level and suddenly role players get paid like stars, stars get overpaid on the market, and you have to overpay your game manager QB which stretches depth even more...

Pats are lucky that Brady has always been a team guy giving flexibility for them to maintain for so many years...

The Seahawks will always be in the playoff mix with their elite qb in Russel Wilson. Dude is great. Not only is he a very good passer, the things he does running the ball and scrambling add a unique dimension. He is a very intelligent runner who will not let his ego force him to try for an extra yard or two instead of sliding.

Another selfish QB only looking out for himself.

You're mentioning Wilson in the same breath as Manning, Brady, Brees and Luck? Oh dear...

In his first 3 NFL seasons he has won a SB and been to another. How many elite defenses carried a game manager to that kind of early success? Not many. Plus in this new era of football its even more rare for teams to sustain this much success because of free agency and a salary cap. Typically a team needs a great qb to achieve this type of success, no matter how good the defense is.

In his first 3 NFL seasons he has won a SB and been to another

:lol:

Yeah, because of him, not the defense or anything.

Now that he's making all that cash, BYE BYE defense

Another selfish QB only looking out for himself.

It goes for any athlete. I cant blame them for getting as much money as they can. Look at what Lebron is doing. 2 year contracts with a 2nd year opt out to maximize every cent he can earn. If these players really werent worth it then teams would stop paying them all this money. Plus Wilson knows the cap is going to keep going up in the nfl. He wants a deal that still pays him as an elite qb as the years get on and 2nd tier qbs start to make what he is making.

In his first 3 NFL seasons he has won a SB and been to another. How many elite defenses carried a game manager to that kind of early success? Not many. Plus in this new era of football its even more rare for teams to sustain this much success because of free agency and a salary cap. Typically a team needs a great qb to achieve this type of success, no matter how good the defense is.

Like I said - he was a fantastic role player.

I posed this hypothetical a while back: If R. Wilson were a FA, and your team had a chance to get him, would you pay $22m a year to get it done? Me personally, no way - Re: he's not en elite qb.

It goes for any athlete.

Brady never came close to asking for all he could get.

Good signing, numbers wise, for the rest of the NFC West.

:thumbsup:

Prepare to see an exodus on the defensive side of the ball.

An elite QB who has never won a game where the other team scored more than 24 points.

:lol:

Yeah, because of him, not the defense or anything.

Now that he's making all that cash, BYE BYE defense

I never said the defense had nothing to do with it. He has been to 2 SBs and won one, correct? Nothing i said was inaccurate. QB greatness is often tied to how many rings they have, so dont act like i am way off base in singling Wilson out as winning a SB. It takes the entite team, i know that. But its also in large part because of how good the qb is.

Hey in a few years when tier 2 qbs are making close money to Wilson, people will say he is kind of a bargain. Plus they will remember how foolish they were to label him as a game manager.

An elite QB who has never won a game where the other team scored more than 24 points.

Who had a SB victory and nearly won another... thats the only argument i need.

Wouldn't say that they are done.

Quality QB...locked up for 4 years.

Cap keeps increasing.

Yes...they will lose some players or not be able to go after others.

But they draft and develop quite well and have a quality GM

Who had a SB victory and nearly won another... thats the only argument i need.

Cool. I'm not arguing with you. I love to see other teams overspend. :thumbsup:

Since Rodgers became the highest paid QB in the league, how many times have they been to the Super Bowl, forget about winning it?

:doh:

Cool. I'm not arguing with you. I love to see other teams overspend. :thumbsup:

Me too. Unfortunately the Seahawks spent the right amount of money. I was hoping they wouldnt so the Bears could bid on him.

As for losing players on the defense, every great team goes through this. Have you been under a rock? The Pats just lost their top 2 corners. A team is great because of great players, thus great players command more money which isnt possible to cover because of a salary cap.

Plus, look at the Rams record last year. They have a comparable defense imo and didnt do shlt.

Meh, got to pay him. You don't win without a good QB. He can always restructure and bring in some talent to help the team.

QB is the NFL lottery ticket. You build defenses.....offensive lines. You can scheme to get guys open. But a QB either has it or doesn't. Wilson has it. You can win with him.....obviously. Is he someone to build a team around? No....but neither are 20 other QBs.

The Pats just lost their top 2 corners.

Keep digging the hole deeper.

Like I said - he was a fantastic role player.

I posed this hypothetical a while back: If R. Wilson were a FA, and your team had a chance to get him, would you pay $22m a year to get it done? Me personally, no way - Re: he's not en elite qb.

I think that's sort of missing the point. Russell isn't an elite QB but he is the perfect fit or what the Seahawks do. So he wouldn't be worth $22m to any team except Seattle.

You can say he's not that good, but what happens if Wilson leaves? The Seahawks are far more likely to spend the next 5-10 years trying to find another good QB than they are to immediately replace him.

There are like 10-12 good QBs in the world and if you have one you pay him what you need to pay him. Wilson's contract will look like a bargain in 5 years.

Wilson reminds me of Brady the first couple years of his career. :dunno:

The guy has all the intangibles. This isn't fantasy football we are talking about, its real football.

I don't know if they "over-spent" or not. But he won't be the second highest paid QB for long. Others the next two years will surpass those contracts. That's how it works.

Wilson's contract will look like a bargain in 5 years.

In 5 years he will be a FA.

The guy has all the intangibles. This isn't fantasy football we are talking about, its real football.

I don't know if they "over-spent" or not. But he won't be the second highest paid QB for long. Others the next two years will surpass those contracts. That's how it works.

Rodgers has been highest paid since April 2013 :dunno:

Exactly thats how the system works. Plus, he has the money in his contract. Restructuring comes afterward.

I don't know if they "over-spent" or not. But he won't be the second highest paid QB for long.

You answered your own question. I'm all for it though, as Parrot said, I love when other teams overpay.

:thumbsup:

Okay. :dunno:

In two years Brady and Manning will be has beens. Bree's will be old.

Andrew Luck will be the highest paid QB and Russell will be like 3 or 4 or 5.

In other words, nothing to see here. He's a franchise QB and they paid him market value. He's not making that much more than guys like Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick.

Okay. :dunno:

In two years Brady and Manning will be has beens. Bree's will be old.

Andrew Luck will be the highest paid QB and Russell will be like 3 or 4 or 5.

In other words, nothing to see here. He's a franchise QB and they paid him market value. He's not making that much more than guys like Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick.

Please show me when Brady ever took all he could and was paid "market value"

Since Rodgers became the highest paid QB in the league, how many times have they been to the Super Bowl, forget about winning it?

Cause his contract is why?

Wow - talk about a bad contract. Oof.

Not really, it's a series of 1 year deals. The 49'ers can get out of that contract rather easily if things go south.

I think he Surprises this year though, all reports say he looks great. We shall see.

Please show me when Brady ever took all he could and was paid "market value"

I know this is hard to believe but the world doesn't revolve around Tom Brady. What does he have to do with this? Tom Brady has been paid handsomly. Later, he would restructure his deals to be more cap friendly. But he still got his money through non-cap hit ways like bonuses or whatever accounting tricks these teams do to pay players off the cap number.

I'm sure a guy like Wilson may do the same later in his contract.

By structure sure...getting 62 mil of that 110 by 2015 and being signed through 2019 helps.

Again...the structure of the Wilson deal will be interesting to really see.

Devil is always in the details.

I know this is hard to believe but the world doesn't revolve around Tom Brady. Tom Brady has been paid handsomly. Later, he would restructure his deals to be more cap friendly. But he still got his money through non-cap hit ways like bonuses or whatever accounting tricks these teams do to pay players off the cap number.

I'm sure a guy like Wilson may do the same.

Yeah...like the last "cut" he took. Where he just got money as a bonus up front and never gave up any money.

Brady has been paid market value in total $$$ paid.

Saying otherwise is ignorant.

http://deadspin.com/actually-tom-brady-is-getting-another-raise-1676198955