Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

NFL has some issues

List of players in legal trouble just since the last super bowl, is this indcative of something bigger, or just part of the package??

Hmmm... What's the racial makeup of that list? :ninja:

pfft, you could go down the path of metrics or whatever, I think a more interesting comparison would be between the various sports. I think NFL rosters are the biggest of any sport, but I suspect there is a clear distinction in the data that NFL players get into trouble at a much higher rate than any other sport.

I have reached the point where the NFL is now treated like an R rated movie in my house. I don't want my children exposed or possibly looking up to NFL players. I know that I inevitably will have to explain why the players act like thugs. If they discover it on their own, fine. I'm not pushing it. Never thought it would be like this. I thought we could spend a lot of Sundays watching it. I can't condone it anymore. I'll still watch it, but probably DvR and stay away from scores and watch it when they go to bed. Or go to the bar. It's my last year with the Sunday ticket too. I'm not an advocate anymore. Been brewing for a while, it's not just Rice.

The NFL just shows that Goodell wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes as commish of the NBA.

NBA Owners to Goodell as NBA Commish: Uh, Roger, we actually need some of the players to be on the court.

David Stern showed up at more than one player's house with a hazmat suit, chainsaw and bucket of acid. Stern: Hey Spree, here's $20 bucks, why don't you go down to Arby's for a couple of hours and let me do my thing.

• Like 1

RLLD actually makes me want to side with Goodell. What a whiner :cry:

Uhmmm, huh? :huh:

I have reached the point where the NFL is now treated like an R rated movie in my house. I don't want my children exposed or possibly looking up to NFL players. I know that I inevitably will have to explain why the players act like thugs. If they discover it on their own, fine. I'm not pushing it. Never thought it would be like this. I thought we could spend a lot of Sundays watching it. I can't condone it anymore. I'll still watch it, but probably DvR and stay away from scores and watch it when they go to bed. Or go to the bar. It's my last year with the Sunday ticket too. I'm not an advocate anymore. Been brewing for a while, it's not just Rice.

the result of a society and media which glorifies thugs like ray lewis and demonizes good guys/role models like tebow

From another thread:

The rampant illegal behavior by so many players hasn't been curtailed by Goodell's policies, and never will. The fact that the NFL needs and regularly utilizes a documented policy regarding personal conduct tells us how widespread the problem is.

The NFL can't prevent the criminals from breaking the law. They can only react when they do.

It would be interesting to know the % of criminals in the NFL compared to other industries.

Ray Rice isn't the only wife beater Josh Gordon isn't the only pot smoker in the league. They're simply the latest to get caught.

the result of a society and media which glorifies thugs like ray lewis and demonizes good guys/role models like tebow

Media demonized Tebow?

No they didn't...other than his inability to play QB at the NFL level.

You whine. Constantly. About everything.

I see, and....what are you doing right now? :huh:

From another thread:

The rampant illegal behavior by so many players hasn't been curtailed by Goodell's policies, and never will. The fact that the NFL needs and regularly utilizes a documented policy regarding personal conduct tells us how widespread the problem is.

The NFL can't prevent the criminals from breaking the law. They can only react when they do.

It would be interesting to know the % of criminals in the NFL compared to other industries.

Ray Rice isn't the only wife beater Josh Gordon isn't the only pot smoker in the league. They're simply the latest to get caught.

Right.

So you think this is something that cannot be "fixed" per se? I am just wondering if its a "football culture" thing, or is it something else?

Calling you out? :dunno:

Almost, you were actually projecting, more than a little as well. But avoiding the pot/kettle for just a moment, I would welcome your feedback on that actual content of the thread, is there a cultural/systemic issue unique to the NFL regarding ilelgal activity, and why?

Almost, you were actually projecting, more than a little as well. But avoiding the pot/kettle for just a moment, I would welcome your feedback on that actual content of the thread, is there a cultural/systemic issue unique to the NFL regarding ilelgal activity, and why?

Women suck.

Blacks suck.

The NFL sucks. (And we know it's really about blacks sucking since most players are black.)

Is there a group of persons you actually approve of?

Women suck.

Blacks suck.

The NFL sucks. (And we know it's really about blacks sucking since most players are black.)

I think you are oversimplifying the issue. There are no women playing in the NFL. While the NFL is predominantly African American, so too is the NBA and they don;t seem to have as prominent an issue. Not sure that the NFL sucks is a complete analysis, but if thats all you have, then run with that I guess. Might you have some metrics to support your insightful suggestions?

I approve of people all over the world, all the time. :dunno:

I think you are oversimplifying the issue. There are no women playing in the NFL. While the NFL is predominantly African American, so too is the NBA and they don;t seem to have as prominent an issue. Not sure that the NFL sucks is a complete analysis, but if thats all you have, then run with that I guess. Might you have some metrics to support your insightful suggestions?

Well that's odd, because all you seem to post is that women are awful and blacks are criminals

Well that's odd, because all you seem to post is that women are awful and blacks are criminals

Perhaps I have called out issues that exist within both groups, do you consider these two groups excluded from criticism? Why? Further, i wonder if we were to establish a % of all my posts and correlate them to what you have suggested what % might show up, and would that quantitatively support your assertion? I think likely no.

Clearly you have an issue with my positions relative to these two groups, which means you have an issue with reality. Not a big deal of course, we can simply agree to disagree. :cheers:

Women suck.

Blacks suck.

Racist :thumbsdown:

Racist :thumbsdown:

A little yes, but in this instance way more strawman and butthurt than racist today, tomorrow likely another story.

Perhaps I have called out issues that exist within both groups, do you consider these two groups excluded from criticism? Why? Further, i wonder if we were to establish a % of all my posts and correlate them to what you have suggested what % might show up, and would that quantitatively support your assertion? I think likely no.

Clearly you have an issue with my positions relative to these two groups, which means you have an issue with reality. Not a big deal of course, we can simply agree to disagree. :cheers:

"Perhaps" :lol:

But yeah, we'll go ahead to agree to disagree. Sorry to derail your little thread here, I'm sure it was leading somewhere very enlightening :cheers:

I actually think it's not as big of a problem as we think. There has been comparative studies on crime rates in sports versus crime rates in the general populace and the rates are pretty even.

1. Sports figures are famous so we hear about them more, compared to Average Joe.

2. Sports figures are famous so police/DA's make "examples" out of them on occaision.

3. The NFL employs a significantly more number of players than most any other sport. There are 53 men on a roster compared to 15 in the NBA as an example. So simple math tells us there should be more arrests even if at the same rate.

The problem with crime is more to do with a host of other factors than it is necessarily to do with the NFL. Now that's not to say I do not agree with how Roger Goodel handles the issues once they happen, but thats a different thread.

, what ksb said

"Perhaps" :lol:

But yeah, we'll go ahead to agree to disagree. Sorry to derail your little thread here, I'm sure it was leading somewhere very enlightening :cheers:

No worries, i do have a level of respect for your posts and thoughts, otherwise i would have likely let it all devolve into a flame war or something, but I want to hear your thoughts on stuff. :thumbsup:

there are a lot more players on an NFL roster than an NBA roster :dunno:

Agree, and already noted and stipulated above.

I think there is still a disparity though, I haven't done so yet, mainly because I am lzy, but I beleive one would find that there is a higher % of incidents with NFL players, even taking into consideration the team size. I have a notion that it has something to do with the physicaltiy and violence of the game intself, and the atmosphere that players develop within. But then again, lacrosse has this environment, and far less issues.

I can only speak for NYC and the surrounding areas, but professional athletes get plenty of leeway from Cops. Maybe not the DA's, but on the street if what the did doesn't involve a victim, they get plenty of leeway. Then again, in the areas I worked, the average Joe got plenty of breaks too.

The far left is and has been trying to eliminate the NFL from your life and are succeeding with all of your help.

:huh: :blink:

The far left aren't the ones giving broadcast jobs to Sapp, Irvin and Ray Lewis. That would be the right wing owners of the NFL. Nice try.

The far left is and has been trying to eliminate the NFL from your life and are succeeding with all of your help.

You know the advice you tried to give me about making myself look foolish...you might want to try figuring out how to not look like a fool yourself.

:D

• Like 1