Sign in to follow this  
edjr

10 year old boy who died after trip to neighborhood pool had Fentanyl in his system

:o :(

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boy-10-died-trip-neighborhood-175800380.html

A 10-year-old boy who collapsed at his Florida home last month and later died had the lethal painkiller fentanyl in his system, making him one of the state’s — and perhaps the country’s — youngest victims of the opioid crisis, officials said.
Alton Banks started vomiting at his Overtown home after a trip to the neighborhood pool on June 23. He fell unconscious that evening and was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Preliminary toxicology tests showed Alton had fentanyl in his system at the time of his death, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle told the Miami Herald.
No evidence suggests the fifth-grader came into contact with the fentanyl at his home, but authorities believe he may have unknowingly come into contact with the dangerous drug on the street.
“He was out playing, like we want all our children to do. It’s unclear whether it was at the pool or on the walk home,” Fernandez Rundle told the paper. “We’re anxiously hoping that someone comes forward to help us solve this horrific death.”
Fentanyl, the deadlier cousin of heroin, is so powerful that just a speck inhaled or absorbed through the skin can cause a fatal overdose.
The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner’s Office is still running toxicology reports and a final report is pending, officials said.
Alton, who had dreams of becoming an engineer and was an avid Carolina Panthers fan, is among the youngest of victims of the country's horrific opioid epidemic.
In the first half of 2016, fentanyl and its analogs killed 853 people and contributed to 135 more deaths in Florida, state records analyzed by the Herald showed.
Of those, nine were under the age of 18.

sh1ts getting real folks

also, Watch: Aunt Speaks Out After Nephew, 13, Allegedly OVerdosed on Dad's Heroin

I'm completely ignorant to this but what do they prescribe fentanyl for?

The only solution I see is any opioids that legally prescribed must be administered in a clinic or hospital. Sorry about your luck. It's obvious you morons can't use this properly.

:doh:

The only solution I see is any opioids that legally prescribed must be administered in a clinic or hospital. Sorry about your luck. It's obvious you morons can't use this properly.

Like other opioids, fentanyl is for severe pain. It even comes in a lollipop version for people who can't swallow well. Can't imagine kids having any interest in that.

:doh:

I understand the 10 yo was prolly not prescribed fentanyl. My point is these opioids are prescribed to many somebodies who seem to have an extremely hard time of not letting others get their grubby little mits on them.

So, fock em. Go to the clinic to get your fix. Idiots.

I understand the 10 yo was prolly not prescribed fentanyl. My point is these opioids are prescribed to many somebodies who seem to have an extremely hard time of not letting others get their grubby little mits on them.

So, fock em. Go to the clinic to get your fix. Idiots.

Drug dealers are learning to synthesize it too. And if you think ERs are crowded now, Imagine how bad they'll be when someone with chronic pain needs to go to the doctor every 4 hours for pain meds.

Drug dealers are learning to synthesize it too. And if you think ERs are crowded now, Imagine how bad they'll be when someone with chronic pain needs to go to the doctor every 4 hours for pain meds.

It comes from Chiner on the black market

I'm just bloviating and I did preface my comments with my admitted ignorance.

Focking junkies though. I see the effects of meth often in the store and after a bit you just want to shoot these good for nothing wastes of skin.

I guess I dont understand chronic pain much. In all my life, seeing many people abuse pain meds, having family with a couple serious injuries....I have never come across someone in my life with chronic pain where they needed heavy pain meds every day. Throw them some 5mg oxycodone and tell them to deal with it. I have never seen anyone with crazy pain to where they need deadly drugs. I know plenty of elderly who I can tell have been in pain for years yet take nothing.

I guess I dont understand chronic pain much. In all my life, seeing many people abuse pain meds, having family with a couple serious injuries....I have never come across someone in my life with chronic pain where they needed heavy pain meds every day. Throw them some 5mg oxycodone and tell them to deal with it. I have never seen anyone with crazy pain to where they need deadly drugs. I know plenty of elderly who I can tell have been in pain for years yet take nothing.

Yeah it's hard to say. I've mentioned before I had oxy after my knee surgery and I can totally see how people get hooked on this. And it takes more more to get you there so you are always chasing.

And I still remember hearing Bill Walton talk about how much pain he is in that it almost drove him to suicide. Some people have it really crappy

So, this wasn't originally the story of the little boy who went to pool and then died hours/days later from 'dry drowning' or whatever, right?

You're young and people with chronic pain aren't exactly the most social bunch. Often they are spending most of their time in bed. But doctors also prescribe the drugs far too readily, as evidenced by the number of opioid prescriptions in the US versus the rest of the world.

What I don't understand is the attraction. I've had Tylenol #3, Vicodin and morphine, and none of them left me craving more. Similar to alcohol, they just made me sleepy. But those with legitimate pain don't feel the same euphoria as those who abuse the drugs, plus some are wired for addiction.

You're young and people with chronic pain aren't exactly the most social bunch. Often they are spending most of their time in bed. But doctors also prescribe the drugs far too readily, as evidenced by the number of opioid prescriptions in the US versus the rest of the world.

What I don't understand is the attraction. I've had Tylenol #3, Vicodin and morphine, and none of them left me craving more. Similar to alcohol, they just made me sleepy. But those with legitimate pain don't feel the same euphoria as those who abuse the drugs, plus some are wired for addiction.

:thumbsup:

I actually did heroin (snorted it) happened to be like 20, 21 around there, and drunk (vodka). I hated it, despised it even. Got sick and threw up.

I don't like weed or percs or any downers (sans booze)

:thumbsup:

I actually did heroin (snorted it) happened to be like 20, 21 around there, and drunk (vodka). I hated it, despised it even. Got sick and threw up.

I don't like weed or percs or any downers (sans booze)

Fvck dude. I understand the appeal of drugs, but never, nevvvver understood why people would risk even trying super addictive stuff like heroin, crack and meth. Some combination of arrogance and ignorance. You're very fortunate things didn't turn out differently.

Fvck dude. I understand the appeal of drugs, but never, nevvvver understood why people would risk even trying super addictive stuff like heroin, crack and meth. Some combination of arrogance and ignorance. You're very fortunate things didn't turn out differently.

I was 20, my friend was already hooked and I had no idea. His junkie brother got him hooked. You'd be surprised how often a junkie will get a significant other or friend hooked.

We are talking 1992. didn't have a clue about anything, especially hard core drugs

I would agree with you today. It's everywhere how bad the sh1t is, but kids still try it

Ive done my share of 5mg 10mg oxycodone. And 5 to someone new to the drug and maybe 10 for someone who has been on them longer....in my eyes anyway, does a great job of dulling pain. Will it get rid of every fiber of pain you have? Maybe not. But suck it up.

What sort of injuries or problems do people have in order to be given Fentanyl?

A 6 year old in Manchester NH was revived this morning with Narcan.

:(

Ive done my share of 5mg 10mg oxycodone. And 5 to someone new to the drug and maybe 10 for someone who has been on them longer....in my eyes anyway, does a great job of dulling pain. Will it get rid of every fiber of pain you have? Maybe not. But suck it up.

Cancer, for one.

Broken bones and cancer are common indications. In general, any severe, acute pain may warrant opioids, including fentanyl. People get into trouble when it becomes a chronic medication. Many cancer patients are hooked, but society and the medical profession gives them a pass.

Also your body responds differently to the drugs when you're in pain. I was laid out for a couple days after taking Tylenol #3 (contains codeine, a weak opioid) for a tooth ache, so I thought I had a low tolerance. Fast forward a few years when I had a broken leg, and I was able to tolerate morphine, fentanyl and Versed in rapid succession without being zonked. If I took the same drugs while pain-free, I'd probably stop breathing. And I never felt "high" at all.

We've had this discussion before, but it is pretty horrific that kids are starting to abuse these drugs so flippantly. I know you tend to blame the clinicians, but I think there is plenty of blame to go around: patients who share or don't dispose their excess drugs, physicians for overprescribing, pharmaceutical companies for marketing and developing short-acting, addictive drugs, distributors for supplying these meds in bulk with little oversight, the DEA and pharmacies for failing to regulate excessive prescriptions, etc. Lastly, users, including casual ones like yourself, need to accept they're a big part of the problem. Far too often we act like they are helpless victims, despite knowingly tricking prescribers or resorting to street dealers to obtain the drugs.

Broken bones and cancer are common indications. In general, any severe, acute pain may warrant opioids, including fentanyl. People get into trouble when it becomes a chronic medication. Many cancer patients are hooked, but society and the medical profession gives them a pass.

Also your body responds differently to the drugs when you're in pain. I was laid out for a couple days after taking Tylenol #3 (contains codeine, a weak opioid) for a tooth ache, so I thought I had a low tolerance. Fast forward a few years when I had a broken leg, and I was able to tolerate morphine, fentanyl and Versed in rapid succession without being zonked. If I took the same drugs while pain-free, I'd probably stop breathing. And I never felt "high" at all.

We've had this discussion before, but it is pretty horrific that kids are starting to abuse these drugs so flippantly. I know you tend to blame the clinicians, but I think there is plenty of blame to go around: patients who share or don't dispose their excess drugs, physicians for overprescribing, pharmaceutical companies for marketing and developing short-acting, addictive drugs, distributors for supplying these meds in bulk with little oversight, the DEA and pharmacies for failing to regulate excessive prescriptions, etc. Lastly, users, including casual ones like yourself, need to accept they're a big part of the problem. Far too often we act like they are helpless victims, despite knowingly tricking prescribers or resorting to street dealers to obtain the drugs.

Whether it was for recreation or for real pain I have always felt cozy and relaxed. Never zonked out even on more than a regular dose. But like you said we are all different.

I'm sure there are plenty out there with real chronic pain. But I just find it hard to believe oxycodone and classic morphine is not enough. Nah we need something like 1000 times stronger. Just don't buy that. Maybe in a hospital setting while seeing treatment and monitoring. People "need" fentanyl because it is out there. "oh what is your pain level 1 to 10?" 10? Ok here is the strong stuff. Oh you need more pills? How about a 60 count instead of 30? That should last ya.

I feel bad for people with chronic pain. But this idea that we have to numb them so much so they feel nothing is a bit absurd, especially with the current problem of these drugs in this country. My grampa used to refuse Novocain on trips to the dentist. I still have no idea how he did that. Said he hated the feeling of it so he would rather just go through the pain. But here we have people needing 20 pills a day to completely numb themselves.

I used recreationally and by recreationally I mean here or there, never bought pills from a dealer or felt I needed them, just enjoyed them. I haven't popped an opioid for pain or recreation in probably a handful of years.

Sure it is somewhat on the users and people who hand them to friends. But that is like saying it is on the heroin addict much more than the guy who sells the dope. The way I see it is these pills were pushed on people for years. Given out in tubs. A portion of the nation did get very dependent. Now they are indeed much harder to come by as doctors have gotten tighter on giving them out (last resort, smaller counts). No one I know does pills anymore as there isn't a ton out there like there was 10 years ago. So now those that were dependent or addicted have turned to heroin as it is cheaper and much more available in today's society. It isn't some big mystery as to why heroin is a big deal right now. No one did heroin when I was in high school. It was almost unheard of.

My grandfather was on Dilaudid toward the end of his dying of pancreatic cancer. Eventually they put a pump on him it was so bad, but it was pills at first.

After he died, my grandmother was going through his stuff. She came out with a bag full of various pain pills. "Should we keep this in case someone gets hurt or something?" I took it from her and flushed it. You just don't keep that sh!t lying around. (And yes, I learned later you shouldn't flush it either.)

Whether it was for recreation or for real pain I have always felt cozy and relaxed. Never zonked out even on more than a regular dose. But like you said we are all different.

I'm sure there are plenty out there with real chronic pain. But I just find it hard to believe oxycodone and classic morphine is not enough. Nah we need something like 1000 times stronger. Just don't buy that. Maybe in a hospital setting while seeing treatment and monitoring. People "need" fentanyl because it is out there. "oh what is your pain level 1 to 10?" 10? Ok here is the strong stuff. Oh you need more pills? How about a 60 count instead of 30? That should last ya.

I feel bad for people with chronic pain. But this idea that we have to numb them so much so they feel nothing is a bit absurd, especially with the current problem of these drugs in this country. My grampa used to refuse Novocain on trips to the dentist. I still have no idea how he did that. Said he hated the feeling of it so he would rather just go through the pain. But here we have people needing 20 pills a day to completely numb themselves.

I used recreationally and by recreationally I mean here or there, never bought pills from a dealer or felt I needed them, just enjoyed them. I haven't popped an opioid for pain or recreation in probably a handful of years.

Sure it is somewhat on the users and people who hand them to friends. But that is like saying it is on the heroin addict much more than the guy who sells the dope. The way I see it is these pills were pushed on people for years. Given out in tubs. A portion of the nation did get very dependent. Now they are indeed much harder to come by as doctors have gotten tighter on giving them out (last resort, smaller counts). No one I know does pills anymore as there isn't a ton out there like there was 10 years ago. So now those that were dependent or addicted have turned to heroin as it is cheaper and much more available in today's society. It isn't some big mystery as to why heroin is a big deal right now. No one did heroin when I was in high school. It was almost unheard of.

Fentanyl wasn't created just to have a more potent drug. But its potency allows for delivery methods which aren't possible with other opioids - a transdermal patch, for example. This is important for people who cannot or don't want to swallow (because of nausea/vomiting, a side effect of many opioids/chemo/etc.). Also it doesn't cross react in those that have morphine allergy/intolerance.

I understand comparing doctors to drug dealers, but I don't think that is a fair comparison. The vast majority of doctors prescribe medications to help people; a drug dealer is never benevolent. And there aren't always centralized registries to know how many meds a patient has been prescribed. While some prescriptions may be written to appease a patient (just like antibiotics, which are horrendously over prescribed), most times a doctor wants to give the patient the benefit of the doubt regarding their degree of pain, and not assume they are lying/trying to game the system. No doctor is "pushing" narcotics to create addicts, but we definitely need to scrutinize our prescribing habits and seek alternative ways to relieve pain.

Fentanyl wasn't created just to have a more potent drug. But its potency allows for delivery methods which aren't possible with other opioids - a transdermal patch, for example. This is important for people who cannot or don't want to swallow (because of nausea/vomiting, a side effect of many opioids/chemo/etc.). Also it doesn't cross react in those that have morphine allergy/intolerance.

I understand comparing doctors to drug dealers, but I don't think that is a fair comparison. The vast majority of doctors prescribe medications to help people; a drug dealer is never benevolent. And there aren't always centralized registries to know how many meds a patient has been prescribed. While some prescriptions may be written to appease a patient (just like antibiotics, which are horrendously over prescribed), most times a doctor wants to give the patient the benefit of the doubt regarding their degree of pain, and not assume they are lying/trying to game the system. No doctor is "pushing" narcotics to create addicts, but we definitely need to scrutinize our prescribing habits and seek alternative ways to relieve pain.

I agree. But clearly we are too easy with the prescription pad in this country.

I had my hernia surgery here. And they gave me no pain meds at all. When I complained, they said I could have ibuprofen.

Had a vasectomy a couple months later? Got 25 percs. Probably 6-8 would have been plenty, if that. I've had leftovers every time I've ever been given pain pills.

I know a guy who got in a bike crash, and lost a finger. No pain meds. (Some fellow expats found a drug dealer and hooked him up. That's just ridiculous.)

In general, we seem to have a "pill culture." We are conditioned to think that every time there is a problem, there is a pill for that. Even things like OTC pain relievers and whatnot are virtually unknown in lots of the world.

I dunno. I think something in the middle would be the better approach.

This is all new since I went overseas but I've been seeing it in the news lately. Sounds like crack cocaine, something morons use to off themselves with and thus cull the herd.

There's the morgue. Bye :wave: