Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Game of the year - 4:25 EST CBS - Patriots -3 @ Steelers - who you got?

The ball hit the ground. Dumb rule though.

Seems to me once you break the plane it should be over. I suppose the problem is what if you never had possession before breaking the plane? But in this case he clearly did.

Just a weird ending all around. Feels like the Pats got away with one but this isnt the game thats going to matter anyway.

• Like 1

Im not sure how they can change it, without adding a ton of interpretation back in. We all know the refs are even worse, when they have to interpret things. Thats why its easier to just have a black and white rule like this. As much as it sucks for situations like this, Dez, Mega, etc.

Put. the microscopes away, look at it no more than 3 times. Make the call. And besides, if the ball never hits the ground, and it didn't here, who cares what they do until they are touched?

So weird, still haven't seen an angle that proves the ball hit the ground, weird.. I'd think you'd have to have that to overturn the touchdown.

So weird, still haven't seen an angle that proves the ball hit the ground, weird.. I'd think you'd have to have that to overturn the touchdown.

The ball twisted in his hand as the ballhit the ground deeming it not in his control.

The ball twisted in his hand as the ballhit the ground deeming it not in his control.

Probably, that's what everybody is assuming anyway. Watch it again, his hand is under the ball.

I need actual proof, I'm assuming the refs need that as well... Especially if you are going to change a call in the field.

Meh. Could give two shiots. Hate both teams.

bingo

Stop it.

The inconsistency in deciding whats a TD is insane. If thats a ball carrier taking a hand off, its a TD the instant the ball crosses the plane, no debate whatsoever.

James made the catch, made a football move and crossed the goal line with the ball in his possession before the ball was jostled.

Stupid rule

Stupid game

Stupid Pats homerism

• Like 1

Thank you. I have analyzed the play and the ball clearly hits the ground. Now, he had possession before but it was still in the process of making the catch and going to the ground. Different than if he catches at the 5 and jaunts in, breaking the plane then going to the ground.

Not a catch and obviously so.

Thank you. I have analyzed the play and the ball clearly hits the ground. Now, he had possession before but it was still in the process of making the catch and going to the ground. Different than if he catches at the 5 and jaunts in, breaking the plane then going to the ground.

Not to mention, he didnt even need to stretch the ball out. He could have just rolled into the end zone untouched. :facepalm:

Stop it.

The inconsistency in deciding whats a TD is insane. If thats a ball carrier taking a hand off, its a TD the instant the ball crosses the plane, no debate whatsoever.

James made the catch, made a football move and crossed the goal line with the ball in his possession before the ball was jostled.

Stupid rule

Stupid game

Stupid Pats homerism

gfy

Not to mention, he didnt even need to stretch the ball out. He could have just rolled into the end zone untouched. :facepalm:

That ultimately is what decides these kinds of games in the Patriots favor. They dont make those same kinds of mistakes. Or the piss poor clock management at the end. Or the ridiculously stupid forced throw by Roethlisberger when a field goal gets you OT in a game you have mostly controlled.

Just like the megatron call, just like the dez Bryant call. Bad rule. Right call according to the rules.

I said it before the review even started. Bad rule, but it was not a catch based on precedent and what happened on that play. Change the rule, but under current rules it was not a catch.

That was the first year of that rule, and it's been hated ever since. But the NFL continually does stupid things. They better wake up.

Although Calvin Johnson's non-catch clarified the rule, it had already been in place since at least 1999, when Bert Emmanuel was robbed of a catch due to the football hitting the ground.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/photos/gallery/_/id/9869336/image/6/the-bert-emanuel-rule-controversial-nfl-calls

Although Calvin Johnson's non-catch clarified the rule, Thad already been in place since at least 1999, when Bert Emmanuel was robbed of a catch due to the football hitting the ground.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/photos/gallery/_/id/9869336/image/6/the-bert-emanuel-rule-controversial-nfl-calls

Great, Calvins catch clarifies it and brought it into league wide use. But I guess you're "right".

Great, Calvins catch clarifies it and brought it into league wide use. But I guess you're "right".

I don't know what to tell you. The Emmanuel non-catch was in the NFC championship game, and started the whole controversy. Not Calvin, not Dez.

I don't know what to tell you. The Emmanuel non-catch was in the NFC championship game, and started the whole controversy. Not Calvin, not Dez.

Yeah, we didn't hear about this garbage for 11 years until Calvin. Emmanuel was a one off. Like I said, you're "right". But not really.

Yeah, we didn't hear about this garbage for 11 years until Calvin. Emmanuel was a one off. Like I said, you're "right". But not really.

I'm not arguing which non-catch was more memorable, or who is the better receiver. I didn't recall Emmanuel's play either, but heard about it on the radio tonight and thought it was interesting that it predated Calvin's by quite some time.

I'm not arguing which non-catch was more memorable, or who is the better receiver. I didn't recall Emmanuel's play either, but heard about it on the radio tonight and thought it was interesting that it predated Calvin's by quite some time.

Pre dated Emmanuels catch as well. But it wasn't applied on a wide scale basis until Calvin. I take it back. You're wrong. Accepted practices trump unenforced rules.

Pre dated Emmanuels catch as well. But it wasn't applied on a wide scale basis until Calvin. I take it back. You're wrong. Accepted practices trump unenforced rules.

Well that settles it.

Well that settles it.

Yes. Now put on your fedora and go for a walk. You could use some air.

Is the rule indicating he never caught the ball without help from the ground?

I.e., it was never a completed catch? Leave the goal line out of it. If he didn't catch the ball how can it be a touchdown?

Btw, I'm a Steelers fan and thought it was BS. I'm just trying to boil this down to simplest terms.

Give me more on this oxymoron - "he had possession before but it was still in the process of making the catch"

Like many have said, right call but dumbest rule in the sport. So if you're at the 1 and dive over the pile with the ball outstretched, it breaks the plane and it's a touchdown immediately. But if you catch it at the 1 and fall into the endzone and it breaks the plane it's not? :wacko:

The Coach and QB for NE are better than the Coach and QB for PIT. So PIT usually loses.

You can continue to debate rules interpretations, broken headsets, psis, or whatever other shiny object has distracted you from the simple facts and repeating outcomes.

The Coach and QB for NE are better than the Coach and QB for PIT. So PIT usually loses.

You can continue to debate rules interpretations, broken headsets, psis, or whatever other shiny object has distracted you from the simple facts and repeating outcomes.

1st statement is true. 2nd statement is what this place is about so go Fock off.

Put. the microscopes away, look at it no more than 3 times. Make the call. And besides, if the ball never hits the ground, and it didn't here,

get glasses old man

Like many have said, right call but dumbest rule in the sport. So if you're at the 1 and dive over the pile with the ball outstretched, it breaks the plane and it's a touchdown immediately. But if you catch it at the 1 and fall into the endzone and it breaks the plane it's not? :wacko:

You get 2 feet down and the ball is stripped, it's a fumble. (See Vernon Davis yesterday)

You get 2 feet down and the ball is stripped, it's a fumble. (See Vernon Davis yesterday)

And Geronimo Allison. That was the right call. The maintaining control while going to the ground rule is dum.