Sign in to follow this  
thePRO

Best Team in the NFC?

This has been a fun discussion everywhere I go. It seems like any of the teams can represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this year. Who do you think is the best and why?

The Rams are a solid young team, but I think the pressure of the playoffs gets to them and they lose, possibly the first game. They should be solid for years to come though if Goff turns out to be the real deal. 5% shot at going to the Super Bowl

Vikings have a shot, but that offense doesn't scare me. I think Keenum will eventually fold. The defense could carry them. 15% shot at going to the SB.

Eagles have the defense. Ajayi looked really good yesterday. Wentz does look good, but can he keep it up in the playoffs? 20%

Saints can run and Brees hasn't even had to break a sweat it seems. Defense is playing better. 25%

Seahawks can't run the ball, although Davis looked solid yesterday. RW gives you a chance, not sure about the defense though with their injuries. 20%

Panthers can't run, but have Cam. The defense is solid, but not what it once was...15% shot.

This was before the Saints lost last night, so I'd probably drop them a little bit now.

Rams are benefitting from feasting on weak teams in their division, and other weak opponents accounts for 6 of their wins (Niners, Cards (twice), Colts, Giants, Texans). The only playoff teams they've beaten are the Saints, and the Jags. I think the Rams have a good defense and are surprising people but don't look like a SB contender to me. When they face playoff caliber teams they lose.

I like the Eagles, I think I'm a bit of a homer on this one though. Wentz has stepped his game up and is carrying the team by playing at a near elite level. If he can maintain that level of play through the playoffs they will be tough to beat.

Vikes are one of those good all-around teams but seem to lack a real stud in any position.

Saints Defense is just bad and can't keep them in games if the offense isn't clicking an all cylinders. Before Kamara started blazing the Saints struggled earlier in the year.

I have to say the Eagles are still the top team in the NFC for now and most likely to get to the Superbowl. I think you need that elite or near elite QB to get through the playoffs. Eventually, your QB is going to have to make a play and win a game for you.

I would also pick the Eagles.

I would like too see it this way.

Rams

Vikings

Eagles

Saints

That's the order in which I would like too see them make the Super Bowl.

No skill was used in making those picks.

Thank you.

Rams are benefitting from feasting on weak teams in their division, and other weak opponents accounts for 6 of their wins (Niners, Cards (twice), Colts, Giants, Texans). The only playoff teams they've beaten are the Saints, and the Jags. I think the Rams have a good defense and are surprising people but don't look like a SB contender to me. When they face playoff caliber teams they lose.

I like the Eagles, I think I'm a bit of a homer on this one though. Wentz has stepped his game up and is carrying the team by playing at a near elite level. If he can maintain that level of play through the playoffs they will be tough to beat.

Vikes are one of those good all-around teams but seem to lack a real stud in any position.

Saints Defense is just bad and can't keep them in games if the offense isn't clicking an all cylinders. Before Kamara started blazing the Saints struggled earlier in the year.

I have to say the Eagles are still the top team in the NFC for now and most likely to get to the Superbowl. I think you need that elite or near elite QB to get through the playoffs. Eventually, your QB is going to have to make a play and win a game for you.

You Eagles homer, me Vikes homer...but I disagree that we don't have a real stud at any position. Our defense has multiple top level players at each level, all capable of taking over their matchup and carrying the team at a given opportunity. Rhodes locking down the other team's top receiver means the QB has to hold the ball longer which opens up space for Griffen, Hunter and Barr to rush the passer, which allows Smith and Kendricks the ability to dominate the open field and capitalize on mistakes. And that's not even counting Linval Joseph at NT, who might be the best individual player on that defense.

The offense is never going to be great, but what differentiates this year's team from the one from a few years back that lost to Sea, is that we get more TDs in the redzone. We had a great defense then too (granted younger) but our offense settled for FGs so we were never able to put teams away. With an improved o-line and just enough playmakers, we're getting those valuable TDs at a higher clip.

I like the Eagles alot though too, so should be fun playoffs.

Good luck to you guys.

You Eagles homer, me Vikes homer...but I disagree that we don't have a real stud at any position. Our defense has multiple top level players at each level, all capable of taking over their matchup and carrying the team at a given opportunity. Rhodes locking down the other team's top receiver means the QB has to hold the ball longer which opens up space for Griffen, Hunter and Barr to rush the passer, which allows Smith and Kendricks the ability to dominate the open field and capitalize on mistakes. And that's not even counting Linval Joseph at NT, who might be the best individual player on that defense.

The offense is never going to be great, but what differentiates this year's team from the one from a few years back that lost to Sea, is that we get more TDs in the redzone. We had a great defense then too (granted younger) but our offense settled for FGs so we were never able to put teams away. With an improved o-line and just enough playmakers, we're getting those valuable TDs at a higher clip.

I like the Eagles alot though too, so should be fun playoffs.

Good luck to you guys.

I should have clarified, the Vikes have a stud defense. They don't have any particular standouts on offense, but they're getting the job done. Keenum is playing good ball and limiting turnovers. Their platoon of RB run the ball well enough. Theilen is a 1000 yard WR, and I like Diggs on the other side. Rudolph is a good possession WR guy. I look at the vikes as a team with no glaring weaknesses. Vikes aren't a huge turnover defense, nor do they get a lot of sacks, but they are great at limiting yards with a very tight Run D.

I typically look at the last few Superbowl contenders and winners have always or near always had a stud QB. You just seem to need that nowadays to put a team over the top. Say what you will, but QB is still the most important position in the game. The exception to this rule would be Manning winning the SB on the back of some incredible defense while playing like hot garbage late in his career. So possibly, that top end D can do it. Edit: even going back 5 years to the Flacco - Kaepernick showdown, both QBs were blazing through the playoffs that year.

You could say the same thing about the Eagles you said about the Rams. The only playoff team they've beaten is the Panthers, and they've lost the other 2 games they've played against playoff teams (Chiefs and Seahawks). Panthers and Seahawks are the only teams above .500 they've played. In fact, they've had the easiest SOS in the entire NFL.

Whereas the Vikings have beaten 5 of the top 9 teams in the conference (6 if they win Sunday). They're not winning big, or flashy, but they're getting the job done against the best teams in the conference.

• Like 1

You could say the same thing about the Eagles you said about the Rams. The only playoff team they've beaten is the Panthers, and they've lost the other 2 games they've played against playoff teams (Chiefs and Seahawks). Panthers and Seahawks are the only teams above .500 they've played. In fact, they've had the easiest SOS in the entire NFL.

Whereas the Vikings have beaten 5 of the top 9 teams in the conference (6 if they win Sunday). They're not winning big, or flashy, but they're getting the job done against the best teams in the conference.

Fair point, Vikes are proven against good teams. Eagles very well could be a pretender team based on a creampuff schedule.

Good points. I think it depends on Keenum. If he keeps up his play and even raises his level a little in the playoffs, Vikings will be the team to beat. They looked to have a really good 1-2 punch at RB, but McKinnon has faded a bit this last month. I do think Diggs and Thielen might not be stars, but they are playmakers. Their Super Bowl run goes through Keenum because that defense can't carry them all the way. That defense is really good though.

Speaking of Keenum, that guy can make some really tough plays. It's fun seeing him play well, so I hope he keeps it up.

I'm a Cowboy fan, so naturally I'd love to see Wentz fail and the Eagles to lose. I think they have enough to win a game or two. Don't think they're ready for a SB berth though.

Saints were a different team than when Minny played them. They couldn't run at all. It's just not Kamara because Ingram has been putting up big numbers and running through huge holes. It's impressive how N.O has dominated Carolina when they usually struggle against them.

I should have clarified, the Vikes have a stud defense. They don't have any particular standouts on offense, but they're getting the job done. Keenum is playing good ball and limiting turnovers. Their platoon of RB run the ball well enough. Theilen is a 1000 yard WR, and I like Diggs on the other side. Rudolph is a good possession WR guy. I look at the vikes as a team with no glaring weaknesses. Vikes aren't a huge turnover defense, nor do they get a lot of sacks, but they are great at limiting yards with a very tight Run D.

I typically look at the last few Superbowl contenders and winners have always or near always had a stud QB. You just seem to need that nowadays to put a team over the top. Say what you will, but QB is still the most important position in the game. The exception to this rule would be Manning winning the SB on the back of some incredible defense while playing like hot garbage late in his career. So possibly, that top end D can do it. Edit: even going back 5 years to the Flacco - Kaepernick showdown, both QBs were blazing through the playoffs that year.

yeah I know that Keenum will have to show up in the playoffs and make some plays, and that we can't lean on just the defense. that's why I'm still holding off on any blind enthusiasm; well that coupled with a sad sad history of epic failures we've had to live through.

Wentz may not get the respect having come from FCS

But his first start as QB for NDSU, they beat Iowa State in Ames

Then finished that year as QB when NDSU won 4th straight FCS title

Returned following season. By now FBS schools reluctant to add NDSU to non conference schedule.

No FBS opponents played.

Was injured and missed 8 games

But was able to return and start of NDSU as hey won their 5th straight title.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of Wentz being overwhelmed by a game situation

Sure he attended a FCS school. But his performance has demonstrated how he is far superior to the bust coming from big named FBS schools.

All this stated, I really do hope the Vikings win the Super Bowl this years as the visiting team in their home stadium.

Returned to

I think it comes down to the Vikings, Eagles and Saints. Keenum is clearly the worst QB and most likely to faulter down the stretch, but also has the defense most likely to overcome that. Brees has been turnover prone in his career and based on last night, it's still an issue and Wentz is unproven. It'll be interesting to see if any of these games comes down to a two minute drive in the playoffs, and how that QB responds.

I think it comes down to the Vikings, Eagles and Saints. Keenum is clearly the worst QB

Over his career, definitely. But a peaking Keenum vs a (maybe) bottoming-out Brees? He might not be worse right now.

I mean...I hope Brees isn't bottoming out. I love the guy, one of those players I wish would play forever. Maybe it's just a small slump and he'll go back to greatness. But at some point, the great ones can become worse players than the mediocre ones.

Im on the Saints, remember brees and sean payton won the superbowl without a strong running game and a defense. Now that they have both plus brees, good luck to the rest of the NFC.

As a saints homer Im all in on them this year. There D is decent and if they can keep running it its gonna work. The key component of that offense is the satelittle back role. And Kamara is perfect as it. The offense is inept without the constant screen passes and flex outs into flats. They will live and die by that. As for the Eagles my issue is Pete Caroll showed the blueprint which is make Wentz throw the ball. Vikings are such a complete roster I kind of want to side with them but Keenum is scary. But hell Flacco and others won a SB. Lastly the Rams I think just dont have it yet to go deep in playoffs. But hell what do I know. Geaux Saints

So Carolina beats Minnesota. I saw that coming. Rams and Eagles played a great game. Wentz may be out for the season. Seattle falls and now Atlanta is in the wildcard spot.

Crazy....

Eagles with Foles won't make it to the Super Bowl. Rams looked pretty good, but I don't know about that defense and Goff still. My list after today still goes with Saints on top.

Saints

Vikings

Panthers

Rams

Eagles w/o Wentz

Seahawks

Falcons

Cowboys

Packers will join this if Rodgers comes back next weekend.

As much as I like the saints, I think its the Viks. That team looks a lot like the hawks team that went when hasselback was QB. Game manager at QB, very solid run game, and D. But then again, that also sounds like the Saints this year, only with a much more experienced QB...............

Don't without Wentz.

And you made sure of that, now didn't you seafoam.

Let's go Rams.

Huh what do you say?n

God bless

Don't without Wentz.

And you made sure of that, now didn't you seafoam.

Let's go Rams.

Huh what do you say?n

God bless

Looks like I have power over your god.

So after the Wentz Carnage I think the NFC looks like this

1. Vikings - Yes I know they just lost to the panthers but I'd argue that was a road game where they also beat themselves. I think their QB play combined with the running game and that defense is enough to get them past anyone. There isn't a real weak spot when you play the vikes. The QB play is probably the weakest element but Keenum has been more than adequate.

2. Saints - I think after the Vikings a lot of the teams have more glaring weaknesses. I like the improved saints defense, but I still don't think it's on the level of some of the other teams especially the vikes, panthers and falcons. Also I'm not sure Brees hasn't lost a little this year. He hasn't had to have 300-400 yard games but I've seen a few games where he's been less efficient than in the past. I would argue their ground game is the best in the NFC.

3. Panthers - The defense is nasty and when Cam is efficient the offense is good enough to win most games. Only issue here is when Cam gets frustrated and has a bad game, which can happen at any time.

4. Seahawks - Maybe the best offense in the right now in the NFC with Wilson having an MVP year. The defense is still sound despite the big losses in the secondary. I have them over the Rams based on playoff experience alone. I think in a playoff scenario they find a way to beat the Rams.

5 Rams - This is another hard team to find a real flaw with other than the defense can give up some significant yardage. Of the teams in the hunt, They are probably the most balanced and efficient offensively.

6 Falcons - Still some problems with the offense and consistency in maintaining drives and not beating themselves but their defense is just a notch below the Panthers and the Vikings and the talent is there on the offensive side of the ball to make a run again.

So what to do with the Eagles, I just don't think that a Foles led eagles team could beat any of the 6 teams listed above. They'll obviously be in the playoffs, and likely with a bye, but without Wentz, they'll lose their first game.

I'm more disappointed that the NFL lost Wentz than for fantasy. The NFC has some really good teams this year. Not to mention teams that have not typically been rated so well at this time of year. I would have loved to see a Rams/philly conference title matchup.

I'm still not counting Philly out as they are well coached and Foles is no rookie. Need to see him play in week 15. Giants should be a good team for Foles to get his feet wet in all of this hype.

Panthers beat Vikings at Home. Saints beat the panthers twice this year already and if the road goes through Minnesota thats an in door stadium which is huge for Brees and saints as oppose to going to snowy Philly

Panthers beat Vikings at Home. Saints beat the panthers twice this year already and if the road goes through Minnesota thats an in door stadium which is huge for Brees and saints as oppose to going to snowy Philly

First, don't forget that the Vikes beat NO Week 1 in MN 29-19. You can try to argue that NO didn't have Kamara at full kilt yet and that the Defense hadn't gelled yet, but that still counts for something.

Also, I believe the Vikes win that game Sun against Carolina if it was at home. Too many mental mistakes yet truly outplayed the Panthers.

Don't crown the Saints just yet.

After this week, I don't see how anyone can say who the best team is with any confidence. The NFC is so close together, it should make for a great playoff with multiple games coming down to last the possession.

After this week, I don't see how anyone can say who the best team is with any confidence. The NFC is so close together, it should make for a great playoff with multiple games coming down to last the possession.

Completely agree. My opinion was based on what I thought the teams would do on a neutral field against each other. Obviously if NO winds up with a bye and 2 home games in that dome, they'll be tough to beat. Philly will still be a tough out at home and bad weather probably would benefit them. If Seattle wins that division and has a home game I don't think there's a team in the NFC that relishes having to defend that offense this year. And if the the Panthers offense gets better with Olsen back and they get some home games they'll be a tough out as well as evidenced by their win over the Vikes. Seeding is going to play a huge role in who advances because I'm not sure Seattle, NO, Minnesota and Carolina are beatable if they are at home.

This topic needs to be updated with Wentz out, the Eagles are likely a first round playoff exit (unless they win NFC #1 seed and get a bye).

Now I lean to the Vikes as the best NFC team. Rams are close, Goff is playing well. Carolina is all Cam, so I don't think they're in the conversation. Saints are all offense, but that D won't carry them come playoff time.