Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

Falcons trade for Asante

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons gave up only a seventh-round draft pick on Wednesday when they acquired four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Asante Samuel from the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Falcons announced the trade after Samuel agreed to restructure his contract to a three-year, $18.5 million deal. His contract with Philadelphia called for him to earn $9.9 million in 2012 and $11.4 million in 2013.

Samuel, 31, gives Atlanta a strong but high-priced trio at cornerback with Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes under new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

Grimes, who signed his franchise tag tender Tuesday, will make $10.262 million this season. Robinson will earn $6 million.

"Asante has established himself as a very productive player during his career," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. "He is a proven player in this league and we feel that this move upgrades the talent of our roster and improves our football team."

The Falcons are left with five picks but no first-round selection in the NFL draft.

Samuel became expendable when the Eagles signed Nnamdi Asomugha and acquired Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie last July, giving them three Pro Bowl cornerbacks. But the team couldn't find a suitable deal for Samuel, so they kept him and used Rodgers-Cromartie in the nickel spot.

While Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie struggled in a new defense and new roles, Samuel was the most consistent of the trio. The outspoken Samuel probably sealed his fate in Philadelphia when he criticized the front office at the trade deadline, saying management was "playing fantasy football with the owner's money."

The Eagles, who were looking to clear payroll, now have 10 picks in the draft, including three of the top 51.

Samuel has 45 career interceptions in nine seasons, fourth among active players. He had only three interceptions in 14 games last season, but his 38 interceptions since 2006 lead the NFL.

"We just improved our team today," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "Asante Samuel is a good football player and you can never have enough good players on your team. Our game has become more of a passing game, and you have to have the players who can neutralize how offenses are trying to attack you."

Dimitroff was New England's director of scouting when the Patriots selected Samuel in the fourth round in 2003.

Samuel's agent, Alonzo Shavers, said the cornerback's history with Dimitroff was important.

"Here's what I will tell you," Shavers said. "Atlanta is run by someone who brought him into the league, so you can take it from there."

Samuel set a career high with 10 interceptions for the Patriots in 2006.

per CBS

sounds like a steal to me even if he's a boom or bust corner.

per CBS

sounds like a steal to me even if he's a boom or bust corner.

Assuming that Asante is willing to re-structure his contract a little bit, that's an absolute steal for the Falcons. I had been hoping that the Titans would trade a 5th Rounder for Asante, after the Eagles were reportedly looking for a 4th Rounder. The fact that the Falcons got him for so dirt-cheap is a little shocking (and annoying).

Assuming that Asante is willing to re-structure his contract a little bit, that's an absolute steal for the Falcons. I had been hoping that the Titans would trade a 5th Rounder for Asante, after the Eagles were reportedly looking for a 4th Rounder. The fact that the Falcons got him for so dirt-cheap is a little shocking (and annoying).

he already did. although he is still expensive

Some say he is washed up. He's not that old, although he has been around for a while now. Regardless, a seventh round pick is certainly a good gamble to take in him. Nice move for Atlanta.

The guy lead the league in int's 2 of the last 3 seasons. He restructured his contract so it would be much cheaper. And the Falcons only gave up a 7th rounder. Seems like a steal to me.

he already did. although he is still expensive

Yep. I just saw that. Something like 3 years / $18 million, I think, which isn't bad at all for a CB of his caliber.

Even though Asante can't tackle ANYONE, he's still a talented coverage guy with a knack for turnovers.

Still can't believe the Titans didn't make a better move for him... :wall:

You have to offset the turnovers with the freelance play that often leaves him out of position. That drives coaches crazy.

the nice thing is it's not like ATL is relying on him to be their top, shutdown corner guy.

they have dunta and grimes.

Asante for a 7th rounder is a good deal, BUT it seems like overkill to me for the Falcons. They now have over $20 million invested at the CB position. As an Eagles fan, I've never been a big Asante fan. The guy is a playmaker at times, but that's about it. He's not a very good cover corner and he can't tackle AT ALL. He mainly wants to play zone on the left side of the field and freelance. He can be very frustrating to watch sometimes.

I'm guessing Asante will now start at left cornerback since he refuses to play anywhere else? Does Dunta Robinson start at right cornerback and now Brent Grimes plays in the slot? If this move takes Grimes off the field at all, I think the Falcons just hurt their team. Grimes is easily their best cornerback in my opinion.

From the Eagles perspective, I think they look at it like addition by subtraction. They now have two corners that like to play man to man defense and compliment each other much better. Nnamdi can now move around more and cover the other team's top WR. They got a decent slot corner in Joselio Hanson. They probably would still like to add more depth at the position through the draft though.

A 7th rounder isn't what they wanted, but with Asante's contract, and how they've openly shopped him since the beginning of last season, it doesn't surprise me that it's all they got.

I agree with Stew. On the surface when you look at it as Asante for a 7th rounder then it does seem like a steal, but trades aren't always like that.

Philly feels they can replace Asante with someone just as or close to as talented (younger) for half the price in salary AND pick up a draft pick. In a sport where there is a salary cap (even if a soft one) I can see why Philly may have pulled the trigger.

Looks like a win-win trade to me. Philly gets out from under the contract and Atlanta picks up a pretty good player they can afford to pay.

I think the Eagles could have done better than a 7th round pick. Yes, Asante is not a terrific cover corner and he's pillow-soft and doesn't want to tackle anyone. And yeah he doesn't fit the Eagles scheme and what they want to do at all anymore and the D looked a lot better with him off the field at the end of last year. But he was the only playmaker in that secondary and the big picks will be missed.

The only reason I can think of that the Eagles would deal him for a 7th to a conference rival, other than money, is that they think he's done. They've whiffed on a few of those decisions over the past few years but more often than not (McNabb, Hugh, Trotter, etc.) they've been right. So I guess we'll see.

I still think they could've gotten at least a 4th for him and shipped him out of the conference.

I think the Eagles could have done better than a 7th round pick. Yes, Asante is not a terrific cover corner and he's pillow-soft and doesn't want to tackle anyone. And yeah he doesn't fit the Eagles scheme and what they want to do at all anymore and the D looked a lot better with him off the field at the end of last year. But he was the only playmaker in that secondary and the big picks will be missed.

The only reason I can think of that the Eagles would deal him for a 7th to a conference rival, other than money, is that they think he's done. They've whiffed on a few of those decisions over the past few years but more often than not (McNabb, Hugh, Trotter, etc.) they've been right. So I guess we'll see.

I still think they could've gotten at least a 4th for him and shipped him out of the conference.

They've openly been trying to trade him since the beginning of last season. If someone was going to offer more than a 7th round pick, don't you think it would of happened by now? The Eagles have continued to have to lower their demands for him the whole time. Asante had leverage too because any team that traded for him, needed him to restructure his contract. He's "worth" more than a 7th round pick, but I don't think they were getting any where close to a 4th rounder for him. NFL trades don't usually makes sense in terms of value. :dunno:

They've openly been trying to trade him since the beginning of last season. If someone was going to offer more than a 7th round pick, don't you think it would of happened by now? The Eagles have continued to have to lower their demands for him the whole time. Asante had leverage too because any team that traded for him, needed him to restructure his contract. He's "worth" more than a 7th round pick, but I don't think they were getting any where close to a 4th rounder for him. NFL trades don't usually makes sense in terms of value. :dunno:

I think the Eagles waited way too long to deal Asante. You can't tell me NO team out there would've given Philly a 4th rounder before last season. The reason his stock was so low now is partly money but also that the rest of the league knows he doesn't fit the Eagles' scheme and was most likely going to get cut if he wasn't traded. They waited too long to deal him and should have foreseen this problem when they brought in Nnamdi and DRC last year.

I think the Eagles waited way too long to deal Asante. You can't tell me NO team out there would've given Philly a 4th rounder before last season. The reason his stock was so low now is partly money but also that the rest of the league knows he doesn't fit the Eagles' scheme and was most likely going to get cut if he wasn't traded. They waited too long to deal him and should have foreseen this problem when they brought in Nnamdi and DRC last year.

I thought you were saying they could of got a 4th round pick NOW. They definitely could of done better if they traded him before last season like they should have. But at that time, they wanted a first round pick for him, or a pair of 2nd round picks. They overvalued him then and it cost them now....and maybe last season with a defense that didn't fit together very well.

We all know asante is a boom bust player but for a team who thinks its a contender now, a 7th rounder is nothing to give up. He might be their nickel back and force 7 turnovers.

We all know asante is a boom bust player but for a team who thinks its a contender now, a 7th rounder is nothing to give up. He might be their nickel back and force 7 turnovers.

This is where I think the Falcons might have to be creative. I really don't think a CB as soft as Asante is going to do well in the slot - he has to be on the outside. Only he doesn't really play a lot of press / man coverage and you don't pay a 3rd CB $6 million / year.

It's a good trade for the Falcons because they aren't giving up much, but it will take some shuffling because they already have 2 good cornerbacks.

This is where I think the Falcons might have to be creative. I really don't think a CB as soft as Asante is going to do well in the slot - he has to be on the outside. Only he doesn't really play a lot of press / man coverage and you don't pay a 3rd CB $6 million / year.

It's a good trade for the Falcons because they aren't giving up much, but it will take some shuffling because they already have 2 good cornerbacks.

Well by nickle I only meant that he would be in on obvious passing downs not in the slot per say.

And I don't think the price matters for a team trying to win it all while roddy and turner are still productive

Why can't my team ever pull off a trade like this. Unreal