Sign in to follow this  
snatchit

So the Rams didnt even sign Michael Sam to the practice squad

Maybe he should have kept that to himself... NFL is full of alpha males

So nobody did?

The defensive player of the year doesn't cut the mustard....

Seems legit.

Seems legit.

It is. Co-S whatever defensive player of the year, projected as a 5th round or later pick before coming out. Main criticism against him being he wasn't quick / agile enough to play linebacker, and was too small to play DE. Not a special teams player, another knock against him. Drafted by a team loaded at DE in the 7th, and played decently. Cut by the team loaded at DE, he'll have a shot at making some other team or their practice squad.

Best bet imo, he goes to a team desperate for defensive help like Dallas, or he ends up on a practice squad where he can spend a year working on getting bigger and stronger.

Seems legit.

Best player in college football doesn't cut the mustard...

often.

Best player in college football doesn't cut the mustard...

often.

Brinkley and the boys are just lighting it up for zimzam.

Do people honestly think if teams thought this guy would help them win that he wouldn't be signed?

Yup I do. He clearly showed he could play in the preseason. You heard it yourself he was a fringe 3rd-4th rnd pick before coming out. He simply derailed his career by coming out, and now, as I predicted in another thread when the gay story broke, he prob won't play a down of nfl football. None of the other teams wanted to take him in the draft, the rams had a huge PR and revenue boost for pennies but blew it. I'm sure the last spot on the roster wouldn't have made or broke their season. It's a sad story and I only pray the rams get backlash for it so I can watch it unfold.

Sam is done, and he will have done nothing but show other young gay players that whatever they do, DONT COME OUT. It's a step back for the gay community. No one will be dumb enough to derail their career like he did.

• Like 1

Yup I do. He clearly showed he could play in the preseason. You heard it yourself he was a fringe 3rd-4th rnd pick before coming out. He simply derailed his career by coming out, and now, as I predicted in another thread when the gay story broke, he prob won't play a down of nfl football. None of the other teams wanted to take him in the draft, the rams had a huge PR and revenue boost for pennies but blew it. I'm sure the last spot on the roster wouldn't have made or broke their season. It's a sad story and I only pray the rams get backlash for it so I can watch it unfold.

Sam is done, and he will have done nothing but show other young gay players that whatever they do, DONT COME OUT. It's a step back for the gay community. No one will be dumb enough to derail their career like he did.

He was a third/fourth before his godawful combine.

Teams will put up with a distraction as long as his on the field positives outweigh his off the field negatives. The reason guys like TO and Moss got chance after change.

But they were elite talents. Sam is not.

agree that if he was doing this intelligently he should have waited until he made a roster and played a year in the nfl so he could prove he belonged as a player first. instead all this amounted to was a 4 month sideshow that due to espn and the media in general probably more than anything just ended up annoying fans and players because of all the over-saturation for someone who had never played a down.

agree that if he was doing this intelligently he should have waited until he made a roster and played a year in the nfl so he could prove he belonged as a player first. instead all this amounted to was a 4 month sideshow that due to espn and the media in general probably more than anything just ended up annoying fans and players because of all the over-saturation for someone who had never played a down.

Yeah it was a circus sideshow and a lot of people were annoyed by it for sure. I wonder if Sam had to do it all over again, knowing what he does know now, would he chose to not come out.

Yeah it was a circus sideshow and a lot of people were annoyed by it for sure. I wonder if Sam had to do it all over again, knowing what he does know now, would he chose to not come out.

He will deny it to his end, but no way in a million tries would he redo it the same. He saw that he was a 4th rnd pick and figured he was made in the shade so would shock the world. Instead it backfired and he will be living off talk show appearance money for a few years.

I thought the talking point was that Sam would only get picked because he's gay, then teams would roster him because they'd be afraid of protests. Now he got drafted low and cut because he's gay. :doh:

He got cut because he went to a team with an utterly stacked OL and didn't do enough to make the roster. Teams don't throw away draft picks on olayers that have no shot to make the team.

• Like 1

I thought the talking point was that Sam would only get picked because he's gay, then teams would roster him because they'd be afraid of protests. Now he got drafted low and cut because he's gay. :doh:

He got cut because he went to a team with an utterly stacked OL and didn't do enough to make the roster. Teams don't throw away draft picks on olayers that have no shot to make the team.

He was given a shot. If someone was injured maybe he would've made it. I applaud Fisher and St. Louis for giving him a chance.

That said, i think a lot of teams are hesitant because it is a distraction to some extent and they probably figure it's just not worth it. Obviously, if Tom Brady were gay nobody would give a damn, but the minimal benefit Sam might give them makes the cost /benefit analysis sway them to just go with someone else. Maybe there are some organizations that may be willing to put him on a practive squad if a need arises, but it takes a team willing to take some risk like St. Louis.

The Rams did him no favors by drafting him. It was so late he would have been better off not being drafted and picking a team to sign with who had no depth.

Well that is if there would have been any team offers seeing as he isn't sitting on a roster or practice squad but sitting at home.

I thought Fisher and the Rams handled it with extreme class and sensibility. Almost waiting for Eric Holder to send a DOJ lawyer from the Civil Rights Division to St Louis to open an investigation.

• Like 1

I only pray the rams get backlash for it so I can watch it unfold.

-I personally oppose that type of vengeful attitude, that is most likely unfounded. It's tearing our nation apart at the seams. You really don't believe that this was a football decision? Not everything is a conspiracy against the gay community.

It's a step back for the gay community.

-I fail to see how. If ones goal is to normalize the fact that there are people of ALL walks of life and professions who identify as gay, and create conversation about it.....then I would say mission accomplished. However, when businesses and organizations can expect this kind of negative and unfair backlash when decisions are made IRREGARDLESS of ones sexual orientation.....then that seems to me a huge step backwards for the gay community.

• Like 1

Definitely some historical revisionism going on in this thread

Definitely some historical revisionism going on in this thread

I like how the Geek Club tards predicted mass protests if Sam got cut. Well now he's cut but we can all move on to our next right wing paranoid delusion, nothing to see here. :wacko: :rolleyes:

I like how the Geek Club tards predicted mass protests if Sam got cut. Well now he's cut but we can all move on to our next right wing paranoid delusion, nothing to see here. :wacko: :rolleyes:

Yep.

-I personally oppose that type of vengeful attitude, that is most likely unfounded. It's tearing our nation apart at the seams. You really don't believe that this was a football decision? Not everything is a conspiracy against the gay community.

-I fail to see how. If ones goal is to normalize the fact that there are people of ALL walks of life and professions who identify as gay, and create conversation about it.....then I would say mission accomplished. However, when businesses and organizations can expect this kind of negative and unfair backlash when decisions are made IRREGARDLESS of ones sexual orientation.....then that seems to me a huge step backwards for the gay community.

Excellent take.

Obama will probably interviene because this is very impotant compared to what all else is going on in the world

• Like 1

1. It was a football decisionbut im saying they could have exploited sams revenue potential for very little cost since hes just a fringe player. If your most popular player and jersey sales leader is a backups backup, ur making money.

2. Its a huge step back. We were all tears and smiles saying how this would open doors for other gay players when really it slams them shut. Why would you come out knowing it will derail your career like it did Sam? Blaming his career ail on the combine and other football stuff is being blind. He was a 4th rounder...then gay...then a no rounder...then got pity drafted by the rams and now cut and gone forever.

3. Kamala the ugandan giant.

4. Irregardless is not a word.

How much extra media and questions did teams want because of him? Every team knows he's going to be the focus. Do top players want to answer those questions?

1. It was a football decisionbut im saying they could have exploited sams revenue potential for very little cost since hes just a fringe player. If your most popular player and jersey sales leader is a backups backup, ur making money.

2. (a)Blaming his career ail on the combine and other football stuff is being blind. (b)He was a 4th rounder...then gay...then a no rounder...then got pity drafted by the rams and now cut and gone forever.

3. Kamala the ugandan giant.

4. Irregardless is not a word.

1. So, "exploiting" his sexuality for franchise-money is okay, but cutting him, irregardless of who he sleeps with, is wrongheaded?

2. (a)Then call me Ray Charles. (b)I believe that his career is in its infancy, and that he will very likely play in the NFL with improvement.

3. Kamala had his left leg and right foot amputated due to high blood pressure and complications with diabetes.

4. Irregardless is a word. Nonstandard, perhaps....but a word nevertheless. It has an established form and meaning, it's been used commonly in speech since the early 20th century, and occasionally in writing, and it's even found in reputable dictionaries, including Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and The Oxford English Dictionary.

I disagree that his draft stock dropped after he came out. I agree that his draft stock dropped in the eyes of the media at the combine. I'm not convinced this guy was ever highly rated by teams; especially because some schmuck from ESPN thinks he is.

Can ESPN just get back to sucking Manziel's cork and leave the story of a 7th round pick not making the team where it belongs?

The Sam backers sound as moronic as the Jesus-freak Tebow backers.

Your guy isn't good enough... sorry. Now let it go.

• Like 1

I definitely believe Sam was a 7th rounder because he came out. Now, the rams have way too much dline talent so the cut makes sense.

But i have no doubt if he had not come out, he would have been a 5th round pick and made another team.

So first of all Kudos to Stonewall for some great posts... in general agreement....

I think that overall this is a huge win for gay athletes. The fact that he was cut is not the big takeaway... the fact that his jersey sales and and general public appeal was very positive bodes well. The reality is that there are many gay athletes and entertainers (at the end of the day sports is really part of the entertainment industry) who don't come out or keep their sexuality secret because they are afraid of the financial impact. If Tom Brady or another top QB were to come out, they would be focused on how much money they would lose from endorsements or the next contract. Michael Sam wasn't good enough to play for the Rams, but the decision was totally football and the message is that gay athletes have nothing to fear from financial backlash. I predict that at some point soon we'll see an established player come out and it will be "ho hum" at that point.

• Like 1

4. Irregardless is a word. Nonstandard, perhaps....but a word nevertheless. It has an established form and meaning, it's been used commonly in speech since the early 20th century, and occasionally in writing, and it's even found in reputable dictionaries, including Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and The Oxford English Dictionary.

It makes you sound stupid. Double negative, mistaken mashing of regardless and irrespective

This is Professional Football.....how many other guys got cut, waived and not picked up on the practice squad? Where 's all the press on them? I do not care who you are focking/sucking...as long as it is a consenting adult. I do not need to know. Can you play football? I may sound like a "hater", I am not. I just think that there is way too much attention gets paid to "special people"....Tebow,Johnny Football,the 1st "admitted"gay..who's next? Let's play some football....He did his best and if he helped the stupid general public become aware of the "possibilities" of our gay population,good for him. Good Luck in your life and I hope the best for him. I am sure there are plenty of large companies that will offer him a position for his name and all he has done...again ...Good Luck

12 players had 2.5 or more sacks this preseason. 10 are on 53-man rosters. One on practice squad. And last, Michael Sam, hasn't found work.

-Adam Schefter

-Adam Schefter

Oh and this proves Sam should be employed?

Obama will probably interviene because this is very impotant compared to what all else is going on in the world

He may call another beer summit

I'm guessing they don't want the media attention for a guy on the practice squad.

It makes you sound stupid. Double negative, mistaken mashing of regardless and irrespective

Welcome to the nonsensical & ever-evolving world of English vocabulary there IGotWorms. Irregardless of the insult, I think I'll just stick with an ordinary vernacular, tyvm.

By the way, are you feeling gay today? Despite a questionable draft tonight, I surely am.