Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

This assclown got arrested the day after his Pro Day!!

And I get it, we don't need a 3 down end. He's going to be groomed for the Leo end position Clemons has been thriving at. He's got crazy wheels. It was still a stupid focking pick. He can go on to record 100 sacks and I'll still think that.

God damn I'm glad I didn't follow the draft much this year and went out of my way not to get too excited for it.

No, you really don't get it.

Coples is a dog. Ryan will regret that pick.

I used to think that, but phillybear convinced me that Coples is an elite talent.

Too bad the Seahawks passed on the best pure pass rusher in the draft for a one-trick pony criminal who was projected for the 3rd round or later.

The over-reaction here is comical. So the Seahawks should have let the guy they wanted slide because Mel Kiper and a few yahoos in here had Irvin ranked as a 2nd round pick? Yes, and when another team cherry picked their player they could have taken the safe pick (Aaron Curry anyone?) Courtney Upshaw (who was passed over by 32 teams in the first round by the way) because said yahoos in here and over a Seahawks draft blog said Upsahw was a first rounder. Yup that is the way to run a team. Make sure you take your players according to Mel Kiper's big board :lol: Hell, why doesn't Roger Gooddell just do away with the draft. We can have Kiper and McShay create a big board and then just assign players to teams. :doh:

I used to think that, but phillybear convinced me that Coples is an elite talent.

Too bad the Seahawks passed on the best pure pass rusher in the draft for a one-trick pony criminal who was projected for the 3rd round or later.

I'll take a criminal over a mississippi mud hound. You don't last long in the NFL taking plays off.

I've had time to think and be rational. Is it possible that the Seahawks somehow wrote the wrong name down on the card? Bruce Irvin. Melvin Ingram. Irvin. Ingram.

:overhead:

Bruce Irvin on Twitter: “Seahawks nation I know some of y’all are questioning the decision but you all will see soon. #WVU #seahawknation I got y’all!”

Bruce Irvin on Twitter: “Seahawks nation I know some of y’all are questioning the decision but you all will see soon. #WVU #seahawknation I got y’all!”

Hey, it may work out. Bruce may end up being a solid pick. Most of this is a crapshoot. However why not just pick him with the 43rd pick or use that pick to move up to earlier in the 2nd round or somethign to grab him. By all accounts he would've been there. That's the thing. It's not the player himself pe se. It's that they reached a full round on a guy they could've had much later.

The Seahawks could've had Irvin and Ingram if they played it right. That's the thing.

With Irvin on defense and Lynch on offense, the Seahawks are just trying to scare the other team into a forfeit. Nobody wants to play against creatures of the night.

Dr. Moreau would be proud.

I am finally understanding what you guys mean by "It's an EXCITING time to be a Seahawks fan!". It's a little like a rollercoaster...the highs take forever to get to and the drop off is rapid and a little violent, then eventually you end up right back where you started, a little dizzy and possibly sick to your stomach. I'm still torn over the bigger head scratcher of the 1st round, the Hawks with Bruce Irvin at 15 or the 49'ers with AJ Jenkins at 30 (after signing Mario Manningham AND Randy Moss). At least Seattle came out with extra picks, but talk about your surprise pick. :shocking:

OK serious take, no trolling here:

I hate these kinds of picks. Not because Bruce Irvin will or won't be a good player. The Seahawks obviously see something in him that most of the draftniks don't and I respect taking the player you want regardless of conventional wisdom.

What would pizz me off if I were a Hawks fan is that they could've traded down to the late 1st if not into the top of the 2nd round and still gotten the exact same player. This is the same reason I thought the Jags' pick of Tyson Alualu was retarded last year and the Raiders massively reached on Heyward Bey. Irvin can end up in the Pro Bowl and the Seahawks still blew it because they could've had him with an additional 2-3 picks if they played their cards right.

All I can figure is that someone played jedi mind tricks on the Hawks and convinced them another team in the draft was dumb enough to take Irvin that high. I thought the Bucs taking Barron at 7 overall was bad but Seattle's pick made that one look like a stroke of genius.

While I appreciate some of the recent rationale takes on the pick, to simply say why not just trade down and take him is not quite logical. How do any of you know 100% that Irvin not only would have been available @43 hell he might not have made it out of the first round. I'm sure the Seahawks had a better pulse on where Irvin was possibly going than anyone posting in this thread. It was funny that the same thing happened a few years back when the Hawks supposedly over drafted Lofa Tatupu. Mel Kiper labeled him a 4th round pick and by god he should have been a 4th round pick. So can you imagine the outcry when the Hawks took him in rd 2? Well after a few pro bowls did anyone still complain that Kiper labeled him a 4th rounder? I don't believe In this reaching for players nonsense. Your draft board is your draft board. If Bruce Irvin is your guy you take him regardless of Mel Kiper and some wannabe armchair draft gurus. ps chatter on nfl radio is that the Jets were looking hard at him. So to say just trade down and take him is shortsighted at best ignorant at worst.

I used to think I'd sell my soul for a superbowl win.

F THAT!!! You can get lucky and win one, (Giants).

You can have calls go all your way, (Steelers).

Just get to the dance, and anything can happen.

I would sell my soul, first born, last born, unborn, every single thing I have and will have to be a part of the draft room.

:shocking: I HAVE TO BE IN THAT ROOM :shocking:

OK serious take, no trolling here:

I hate these kinds of picks. Not because Bruce Irvin will or won't be a good player. The Seahawks obviously see something in him that most of the draftniks don't and I respect taking the player you want regardless of conventional wisdom.

What would pizz me off if I were a Hawks fan is that they could've traded down to the late 1st if not into the top of the 2nd round and still gotten the exact same player. This is the same reason I thought the Jags' pick of Tyson Alualu was retarded last year and the Raiders massively reached on Heyward Bey. Irvin can end up in the Pro Bowl and the Seahawks still blew it because they could've had him with an additional 2-3 picks if they played their cards right.

All I can figure is that someone played jedi mind tricks on the Hawks and convinced them another team in the draft was dumb enough to take Irvin that high. I thought the Bucs taking Barron at 7 overall was bad but Seattle's pick made that one look like a stroke of genius.

That's all well and good if you can find a partner to trade with. Maybe the Hawks couldn't find anyone to trade with and just decided to go with the guy they felt best about. Time will tell if it was a good pick or not.

Having said that, past performance indicates future results. Maybe not the case of Irvin, but moreso the Seahawks front office. Have they made good on their picks recently? If they have, then you can look at this pick and give them the benefit of the doubt. If not, then that's where you can start to question the pick.

That's all well and good if you can find a partner to trade with. Maybe the Hawks couldn't find anyone to trade with and just decided to go with the guy they felt best about. Time will tell if it was a good pick or not.

Then you roll the dice on the 80% to 90% chance he would be there with your 43rd pick.

Then you roll the dice on the 80% to 90% chance he would be there with your 43rd pick.

Meh, you're pulling numbers out your ass. You have no idea that there'd have been an 80% likelihood he'd still be there. Maybe 80% of mocks had him going there, but there's no telling how many other teams would have jumped at the chance to draft him sooner.

I'm willing to give these NFL dudes the benefit of the doubt considering they eat, drink, and sleep football. Obviously they really liked Irvin. Why pass on a guy you really like? They don't make picks to satisfy the fan base. You make picks to help you win games and keep your job. I don't think you fock around. If you feel strongly about someone, pull the trigger.

:dunno:

I'm all for picking the best player on your draft board. I'm just saying there's something wrong with the Seahawks' draft board if a guy like Bruce Irvin was 12th on it. And it's a dumb strategy to use that high of a pick on a player who almost certainly would have been there in Round 2. If you're that worried about missing out on Bruce Irvin, you trade UP in Round 2 - you don't just draft him at 12 overall while many better prospects are on the board.

While I appreciate some of the recent rationale takes on the pick, to simply say why not just trade down and take him is not quite logical. How do any of you know 100% that Irvin not only would have been available @43 hell he might not have made it out of the first round. I'm sure the Seahawks had a better pulse on where Irvin was possibly going than anyone posting in this thread. It was funny that the same thing happened a few years back when the Hawks supposedly over drafted Lofa Tatupu. Mel Kiper labeled him a 4th round pick and by god he should have been a 4th round pick. So can you imagine the outcry when the Hawks took him in rd 2? Well after a few pro bowls did anyone still complain that Kiper labeled him a 4th rounder? I don't believe In this reaching for players nonsense. Your draft board is your draft board. If Bruce Irvin is your guy you take him regardless of Mel Kiper and some wannabe armchair draft gurus. ps chatter on nfl radio is that the Jets were looking hard at him. So to say just trade down and take him is shortsighted at best ignorant at worst.

I'm trying to keep my temper in check and I don't like arguing with another Seattle fan, but for fock's sake, stop licking Carroll and Schneider hairy mudcutters for 3 seconds. They have not earned jack sh!t with their drafting abilities. Free agency, fine. Trading, fine. Drafting? The mid rounds have been fine. The early picks have been a huge problem area. And don't give me any sh!t for not knowing these players, when I obssessively watch and bet college football and average watching 50 to 70 game a week. I can give you scouting reports on the CFL too. I know enough to be credible. I am right so many more times than wrong about the draft that it's creepy. I've been doing this draft stuff at this site since 2004. Irvin is a stiff. And then the nerve of the front office to use the same tired excuse two years in a row: oh, there were other teams interested in Carpenter/Irvin, so we had to take him. Bullfockingsh!t. Just like 19 teams were going to give up a first round pick for Charlie Whitehurst so they had to act fast. And the realtor said that someone was on the way to buy the Seattle draft headquarters, so just sign on the dotted line or it will be gone too. And then there's the bridge. Snookered, again, and again, and again.

Let's talk about last year. Carpenter, bust. If he ever comes back, he will have to be moved to another position. That was our first round pick. John Moffit. Incredibly underwhelming pick. Those were our first two picks. Was it a coincidence that when they both got hurt was when Lynch went on to have a career year based on the 2nd half of the season? Ok, year before. #6 pick was Okung and #14 Thomas. A retard could have made those picks. Then, THEN they grabbed Golden Tate. Maybe he can mentor Irvin on how to break into donut shops in the middle of the night. Tate doesn't care about football, he can't get himself into shape, has the muscle tone of a oyster. This regime cannot draft early rounds at all, The first 3 rounds. You can't hit on two picks (Thomas and probably Okung) and miss on 4 (Tate, Carpenter, Moffit, and Irvin). I loved the Okung and Thomas picks at the time, and hated Carpenter, Moffit and Irvin. Draw your own conclusions. Do you think the league laughing at us is some kind of badge of honor, or an embarrassment? Remember Nick Saban with his mouth agape when Carpenter was selected last year, a guy that was a 3rd round talent, and it showed. Value, value, value. They even promised they would not draft for need. So, they turn around and draft a guy that will be in for 8 to 10 plays a game. WE DRAFTED A PINCH HITTER IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!!!!! Do you get that? A long snapper makes a bigger contribution. We could have taken a stud every down defensive player, instead take a career criminal with limited skills. I take that back. One skill. Speed. He can easily be overpowered at the point of attack. He has one move. Try to turn the corner on a slow offensive lineman. This guy sucks. SUCKS. I can't stand being laughed at every focking draft. This is a Ruskell Hell time loop. Every focking year we get to a spot in the draft when we can capitalize. And every year we blow it. Even stupid Aaron Curry is a starting player in this league, and somehow, someway, he just made a worse pick. And we can't even draft a starter in the first half of the first round. The top 15 picks from an entire draft board, and we take Irvin? Really? A top 15 guy. We are the retard that shows up at a fantasty football draft and takes a kicker with our first pick and everybody bursts out laughing. I can't focking stand it anymore. They didn't have a pulse. Everybody laughed. Nobody could believe the pick. Do you think Seattle has bugged other draft rooms? Goodell will be interested to hear that.

Tatupu was a bad pick at the time too. Nobody questions that he had a nice run in this league for 3 or 4 years, and is long gone. Which would be decent value for a 4th round pick. Made some Pro Bowls. The guy had heart. Which was the problem. His talent was limited, and by him throwing himself into the middle of the action, his body wore down and he is out of the league. But he was still drafted 2 rounds early. VALUE. Why not get the guy you want and another player or two that are great also. Instead of making a huge reach for a guy, and miss out on the other talented players. Do you want Tatupu and a 2nd round pick, or Tatupu and a 4th round pick? And if you don't get Tatupu, so what? You might have taken somebody just as good, or better instead.

So take your pom poms and shove then way up your ass until you can feel your teeth, because you have lost your mind. How can you go through life without ever questioning the relative stupidity of your football team for an obviously terrible move? I lost my mind too, but for very, very different reasons. I. AM. SO. FRUSTRATED. I. AM. BITING. THROUGH. MY. TONGUE. BLOOD. LOTS OF BLOOD.

I'm all for picking the best player on your draft board. I'm just saying there's something wrong with the Seahawks' draft board if a guy like Bruce Irvin was 12th on it. And it's a dumb strategy to use that high of a pick on a player who almost certainly would have been there in Round 2. If you're that worried about missing out on Bruce Irvin, you trade UP in Round 2 - you don't just draft him at 12 overall while many better prospects are on the board.

To the Hawks credit, they already traded back once in the first round with Philly and moved from 12 to 15th, drafted Irvin and picked up an extra 4th and 6th pick from Philly. Maybe they weren't able to trade down a second time in the first round.

For the record, I'm not excited about the pick and also thought they should have waited to try to get Irvin in the 2nd round.

I am finally understanding what you guys mean by "It's an EXCITING time to be a Seahawks fan!". It's a little like a rollercoaster...the highs take forever to get to and the drop off is rapid and a little violent, then eventually you end up right back where you started, a little dizzy and possibly sick to your stomach. I'm still torn over the bigger head scratcher of the 1st round, the Hawks with Bruce Irvin at 15 or the 49'ers with AJ Jenkins at 30 (after signing Mario Manningham AND Randy Moss). At least Seattle came out with extra picks, but talk about your surprise pick. :shocking:

It's a lot like a roller coaster because sometimes there is a mechanical failure and your haid plum falls off. Like them Indy car racer feller. :wall:

Per CBS Sports' Rob Rang, the 49ers, Jets, and Ravens all would have taken Bruce Irvin in the first round had he made it to their pick.

Those are some pretty good-drafting teams. Profootballtalk.com reported late Thursday that as many as seven teams had Irvin as a top-15 overall player on their draft boards. The Irvin pick has been panned as a reach, and ESPN's Mel Kiper called it "mind boggling" after Seattle executed the selection. Kiper has never worked in the league, though, and the NFL vehemently disagrees

Bruce Irvin was a solid pick. The Seattle seahawks were in the right and the espn analysts were in the wrong.

Bruce Irvin was a solid pick. The Seattle seahawks were in the right and the espn analysts were in the wrong.

Bingo! But the armchair gurus will never admit it. Ignorance is bliss I guess. Let's face it. The entire draft is a crapshoot. If Irvin goes out and knocks off a Dunkin Donuts shop were screwed. But to simply repeat the Mel Kiper reach mantra here is ignorant.

I'm trying to keep my temper in check and I don't like arguing with another Seattle fan, but for fock's sake, stop licking Carroll and Schneider hairy mudcutters for 3 seconds. They have not earned jack sh!t with their drafting abilities. Free agency, fine. Trading, fine. Drafting? The mid rounds have been fine. The early picks have been a huge problem area. And don't give me any sh!t for not knowing these players, when I obssessively watch and bet college football and average watching 50 to 70 game a week. I can give you scouting reports on the CFL too. I know enough to be credible. I am right so many more times than wrong about the draft that it's creepy. I've been doing this draft stuff at this site since 2004. Irvin is a stiff. And then the nerve of the front office to use the same tired excuse two years in a row: oh, there were other teams interested in Carpenter/Irvin, so we had to take him. Bullfockingsh!t. Just like 19 teams were going to give up a first round pick for Charlie Whitehurst so they had to act fast. And the realtor said that someone was on the way to buy the Seattle draft headquarters, so just sign on the dotted line or it will be gone too. And then there's the bridge. Snookered, again, and again, and again.

Let's talk about last year. Carpenter, bust. If he ever comes back, he will have to be moved to another position. That was our first round pick. John Moffit. Incredibly underwhelming pick. Those were our first two picks. Was it a coincidence that when they both got hurt was when Lynch went on to have a career year based on the 2nd half of the season? Ok, year before. #6 pick was Okung and #14 Thomas. A retard could have made those picks. Then, THEN they grabbed Golden Tate. Maybe he can mentor Irvin on how to break into donut shops in the middle of the night. Tate doesn't care about football, he can't get himself into shape, has the muscle tone of a oyster. This regime cannot draft early rounds at all, The first 3 rounds. You can't hit on two picks (Thomas and probably Okung) and miss on 4 (Tate, Carpenter, Moffit, and Irvin). I loved the Okung and Thomas picks at the time, and hated Carpenter, Moffit and Irvin. Draw your own conclusions. Do you think the league laughing at us is some kind of badge of honor, or an embarrassment? Remember Nick Saban with his mouth agape when Carpenter was selected last year, a guy that was a 3rd round talent, and it showed. Value, value, value. They even promised they would not draft for need. So, they turn around and draft a guy that will be in for 8 to 10 plays a game. WE DRAFTED A PINCH HITTER IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!!!!! Do you get that? A long snapper makes a bigger contribution. We could have taken a stud every down defensive player, instead take a career criminal with limited skills. I take that back. One skill. Speed. He can easily be overpowered at the point of attack. He has one move. Try to turn the corner on a slow offensive lineman. This guy sucks. SUCKS. I can't stand being laughed at every focking draft. This is a Ruskell Hell time loop. Every focking year we get to a spot in the draft when we can capitalize. And every year we blow it. Even stupid Aaron Curry is a starting player in this league, and somehow, someway, he just made a worse pick. And we can't even draft a starter in the first half of the first round. The top 15 picks from an entire draft board, and we take Irvin? Really? A top 15 guy. We are the retard that shows up at a fantasty football draft and takes a kicker with our first pick and everybody bursts out laughing. I can't focking stand it anymore. They didn't have a pulse. Everybody laughed. Nobody could believe the pick. Do you think Seattle has bugged other draft rooms? Goodell will be interested to hear that.

Tatupu was a bad pick at the time too. Nobody questions that he had a nice run in this league for 3 or 4 years, and is long gone. Which would be decent value for a 4th round pick. Made some Pro Bowls. The guy had heart. Which was the problem. His talent was limited, and by him throwing himself into the middle of the action, his body wore down and he is out of the league. But he was still drafted 2 rounds early. VALUE. Why not get the guy you want and another player or two that are great also. Instead of making a huge reach for a guy, and miss out on the other talented players. Do you want Tatupu and a 2nd round pick, or Tatupu and a 4th round pick? And if you don't get Tatupu, so what? You might have taken somebody just as good, or better instead.

So take your pom poms and shove then way up your ass until you can feel your teeth, because you have lost your mind. How can you go through life without ever questioning the relative stupidity of your football team for an obviously terrible move? I lost my mind too, but for very, very different reasons. I. AM. SO. FRUSTRATED. I. AM. BITING. THROUGH. MY. TONGUE. BLOOD. LOTS OF BLOOD.

You need to get a life. You obviously are clueless when it comes to player evaluation and just think how much more productive you would be at work or in your studies if you focused there instead of trying to be some wannabe Mel Kiper.

Sorry, but Rob Rang is an imbecile and nothing he ever reports is accurate. CBS sports is the last place I'd go to find news on sports.

That's directly Seattle spin control, as they gave Rang an anonymous blurb to run with. Irvin was a questionable pick for the third round.

You need to get a life. You obviously are clueless when it comes to player evaluation and just think how much more productive you would be at work or in your studies if you focused there instead of trying to be some wannabe Mel Kiper.

Mel Kiper is a carnival barker.

From now on, I will be calling you Sweetness_34.

Mel Kiper is a carnival barker.

From now on, I will be calling you Sweetness_34.

Who is that?

I think Kiper is over the top and I don't always (or even often) agree with his "expert" opinion. But his take on this pick was about right in my opinion:

It's not really the player I question. I know for a fact there are some teams who consider Irvin the best pass-rusher in the draft. The problem is the value. Two years in a row now Seattle has taken a player in Round 1 who I think they could have gotten perhaps 10 to 15 slots lower on the board. So again, it's not that Irvin can't be successful. It's that Seattle might still have Irvin today but perhaps an added pick or two this year or next if they managed to move down. Irvin is pretty gifted in space, and Pete Carroll clearly has a plan for him. My guess here is Seattle had already moved down once, so they had already added value, and they just decided they wanted their guy. Again, it's a question, not a rip.

:argue:

:cheers:

At least I got something out of the first round.

Watched some Irvin Youtube clips last night, highlights and lowlights against Maryland, NC State, and Marshall.

MAN this guy is fast. Like FAST fast. He's quick, good body control and strength for his size. He was making plays all over the field and showed some nice recovery when getting ran past plays.

But there were a lot of snaps where he was completely blown out of the play. He looked really raw and displayed no pass rush moves. His does a shoulder dip but most the time just ran around protection.

He says himself he's never been taught to rush the passer. They just coached up run-stopping at WVU. If they can still be molded and taught to avoid contact with much bigger and athletic NFL Linemen he could be pretty valuable as a 3rd down rush specialist and eventual starter at the Leo end position.

Still a massive reach last night, but I'm going to just accept it and try to be positive. Reaching and unconventional drafting seems like it'll be an annual thing with PC/JS. I do have some faith in Carroll's eye for defensive talent.

Not that this is going to make Philly feel any better about this, but NFP had mocked Irvin to the Packers at #28 in the first round. NFP hit on 26 out of 32 first rounders (I count it if they simply get drafted somewhere in rd1), missing on Upshaw, Adams, Hill, Branch, Reyes and Glenn.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/FINAL-MOCK-DRAFT-1216.html

First of all, in some alternate universe where I can still feel a moment of joy once in a while, Seattle lands Upshaw in the 2nd round. And I could also enjoy a rare vacation day away from work drinking myself into a good mood, not trying to forget what happened last night. Irvin just wasn't a 1st round talent. People were dogging Coples for motivation, but Irvin's issues are no big deal.

I am taking a deep breath, and trying to move on. Last night was a disaster. If for some reason people want to feel optimistic about last night, go for it. I will do my best to not rip the poster after my venting on 12th Sweetness Man, nor the player irvin until watching them play. My feelings are well documented, and I need to focus on the rest of the draft. Sigh. Deep breath in, deep breath out. Deep breath in, I need a paper bag.

Watched some Irvin Youtube clips last night, highlights and lowlights against Maryland, NC State, and Marshall.

MAN this guy is fast. Like FAST fast. He's quick, good body control and strength for his size. He was making plays all over the field and showed some nice recovery when getting ran past plays.

But there were a lot of snaps where he was completely blown out of the play. He looked really raw and displayed no pass rush moves. His does a shoulder dip but most the time just ran around protection.

He says himself he's never been taught to rush the passer. They just coached up run-stopping at WVU. If they can still be molded and taught to avoid contact with much bigger and athletic NFL Linemen he could be pretty valuable as a 3rd down rush specialist and eventual starter at the Leo end position.

Still a massive reach last night, but I'm going to just accept it and try to be positive. Reaching and unconventional drafting seems like it'll be an annual thing with PC/JS. I do have some faith in Carroll's eye for defensive talent.

You can't coach fast. The problem is that you will have to coach him on everything else. :mad: :mad:

OK, OK, OK, I need to let this go....go to my happy place. A nice, relaxing, happy place. Where we see a beer waterfall. And a midget on a tricycle. And I've managed to kill the sun. And I'm standing in the Seattle draft room, where everybody looks scared. Because I have a shotgun. Happy....place......happy.....

Any chance Rueben Randle lasts until our next pick? We have some depth at the position but I'm worried about Rice's long-term health, Baldwin is best used in the slot, and Tate is probably a bust. Getting a good bargain on a prototypical guy like him will wash out some of the bad taste of the 1st round.

I'm hoping for Randle or a nice trade down.

A little more propaganda from the Optimistic Hawks fan Alliance. Rob from Seahawksdraftblog wrote this about Irvin in May 2011.

When I scan through the various early 2012 mock drafts and big boards, one name is unusually absent.

Tony Pauline doesn’t list him among 40 prospects to watch this year. He isn’t part of Walter Cherepinsky or Rob Rang’s 2012 mocks. He isn’t part of Chris Steuber’s big board. In fact the only place I’ve seen this guy register is in Chad Reuter’s early projection – as the 32nd overall pick.

Yet in my opinion, he’s right up there at the top end. Ultimate star potential, a defensive prospect who may be the best overall in college football. This is one player who will help define his team as they mount what I believe is a realistic shot at making a BCS Bowl, maybe even the big one. On his highlight’s tape, they borrow the name ‘Beast Mode’, but if Marshawn Lynch watches this guy play I’m sure he won’t complain.

The best pass rusher in college football is Bruce Irvin of the West Virginia Mountaineers. He was part of my top-50 prospects for 2012.

He’s lightning quick as you’d expect given the size but unlike Von Miller who relied completely on speed, Irvin is more than willing to engage a tackle, drive him into the quarterback or beat him with stunning hand placement. I’ve never see a guy with this size paddle away an offensive lineman before.

He’s the best kept secret in college football. Last season he recorded 14 sacks and yet received virtually no hype. West Virginia pulled off a masterstroke appointing Dana Holgorsen as their offensive coordinator and future head coach. He was the mastermind behind Oklahoma State’s free-scoring offense which consistently churned out talent at running back and wide receiver. The Mountaineers will have a productive offense next season and with Irvin leading the way on defense they’re an outside pick to go unbeaten next year. That’ll help to put this guy firmly on the map.

Make no mistake this is the most devastating, dominating and exciting player you’ll watch during the 2011 college season. I’d recommend reading this piece from Geoff Coyle on Irvin’s background and route to WVU. More importantly, take a look at the schedule and make sure you grab the opportunity to watch him in action.

Seahawksdraftbog.com

Also, when I heard his production fell off in 2012 I didn't think he still recorded 8 sacks. Not bad for a raw, unpolished athlete who offenses were obviously game planning for coming off a 14 sack season.

Again, I'm not defending where he was taken, just looking at the positives. To take this with a grain of salt Rob hated Von Miller last yer.

I think Kiper is over the top and I don't always (or even often) agree with his "expert" opinion. But his take on this pick was about right in my opinion:

It's not really the player I question. I know for a fact there are some teams who consider Irvin the best pass-rusher in the draft. The problem is the value. Two years in a row now Seattle has taken a player in Round 1 who I think they could have gotten perhaps 10 to 15 slots lower on the board. So again, it's not that Irvin can't be successful. It's that Seattle might still have Irvin today but perhaps an added pick or two this year or next if they managed to move down. Irvin is pretty gifted in space, and Pete Carroll clearly has a plan for him. My guess here is Seattle had already moved down once, so they had already added value, and they just decided they wanted their guy. Again, it's a question, not a rip.

Can you provide irrefutable evidence that Irvin would have been available 10-15 slots later? The answer is no. Just like I can't provide irrefutable evidence that he would not have been available. Therefore to assume the Seahawks could have gotten the player and more picks is baseless. They wanted him; they took him. I for one think it was a good pick based on this hybrid defense that Carroll runs. Now it's up to Irvin to produce.

Any chance Rueben Randle lasts until our next pick? We have some depth at the position but I'm worried about Rice's long-term health, Baldwin is best used in the slot, and Tate is probably a bust. Getting a good bargain on a prototypical guy like him will wash out some of the bad taste of the 1st round.

I'm hoping for Randle or a nice trade down.

The Seahawks need a MLB. Michael Kendricks would fit the bill nicely. I also wouldn't be surprised if they took Lavonte David from Nebraska.