Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Jesus goes for $450m.

Read some comments today on a different site about how they believe artwork is sometimes used to launder money. I have no idea of the validity of such a claim but it's the only thing that makes sense in justifying these ridiculous prices.

It goes down like this.

Youve got a room full of Saudi princes, Chinese billionaires, central Asian gas magnates, etc.

All of em have more money than they know what to do with. And its all about bragging rights at this point.

Thats how they get these prices.

It goes down like this.

Youve got a room full of Saudi princes, Chinese billionaires, central Asian gas magnates, etc.

All of em have more money than they know what to do with. And its all about bragging rights at this point.

Thats how they get these prices.

Not saying it wasn't but most people did not suspect this demographic because the subject matter of this piece is not highly sought after by them

Not saying it wasn't but most people did not suspect this demographic because the subject matter of this piece is not highly sought after by them

New money doesnt care. Hell, theyd probably enjoy it all the more.

Look, I bought a five hundred year old Jesus painted by the decadent wests greatest master. I hang it in my bathroom so I can look at it while I sh!t.

This reminds me, there was another artwork that just sold for a hefty amount that a 2 year old can paint....let me see if I can find a link.

Couldn't find it, but it was like this Twombly painting that sold for $17.4 mil in 2012.

https://news.artnet.com/market/cy-twomblys-blackboard-painting-may-set-new-auction-record-139431

Try Jackson Pollack

New money doesnt care. Hell, theyd probably enjoy it all the more.

Look, I bought a five hundred year old Jesus painted by the decadent wests greatest master. I hang it in my bathroom so I can look at it while I sh!t.

Works great. Muhammad scares the sh*t out of me.

I don't get art - admitted......... And I def don't get what makes this an amazing piece.. Other than saying Da Vinci, it looks rather blah to me. Then again, most expensive art does.

Worked for a high end catering company out of college. Did a job bar tending. Made easy money. One day I get a call asking me to work a gala at the museum here.

There was a Picaso and Napolenic Death mask directly behind the bar I set up. Priceless works of art and history combined. There are only two Napolenic death masks in the world. And the Picaso was priceless. Both were unimpressive.

The curator told me two things: Don't serve red wines And if anyone asks about that mask who doesn't look like they watch PBS, it's Nixon.

What makes you say that?

Because I don't think he bought it considering resale value. I may be wrong, but people with that much money can probably find higher yield investments.

Moreover, there has to come a point when more money is useless. While you and I might spend a couple bucks without thinking about it, this guy spends several hundred million.

Because I don't think he bought it considering resale value. I may be wrong, but people with that much money can probably find higher yield investments.

Moreover, there has to come a point when more money is useless. While you and I might spend a couple bucks without thinking about it, this guy spends several hundred million.

There is something to be said for something worth half a bill that you can carry with you if you have to run too I guess.

But it ain't worth that unless he can sell it.

Im sure he can once he gets clear.

I mean most third world billionaires gotta keep escape routes in mind. Their neighborhoods aint always stable.

Im sure he can once he gets clear.

I mean most third world billionaires gotta keep escape routes in mind. Their neighborhoods aint always stable.

Meh, the value is completely artificial - the next highest bid was $370M. It's not like the market on bazillion dollar paintings is suddenly gonna blow up with interested parties.

I also think billionaires have more sophisticated ways to funnel money electronically from point A to B.

Damn, that one chick only went for $2.9M.

Granted, Geebus has some extra holes - and mad wine skillz....