Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Super Tecmo Bowl - Update

So, a friend of mine says I'm just plain "better at Tecmo" than he is. But I'm not faster on the buttons, I just play a better strategy. Anyway, we decided to forward a season to week 9 and then chose teams. This was after I had showed him that Detroit, with a run and shoot playbook and Barry Sanders was not a bad team. Neither is Atlanta with Dickerson.

So, he wanted Buffalo with Thurman Thomas, but then changed the plays to run and shoot plays. Hey, he can do what he wants. But he allowed me to have the 49ers. Even though Craig is not really an effective RB, the Young to Rice hookup was unstopable. Both teams made it to the Superbowl, but then I blew him out. Was like 45-13.

Rice is sick in that game. Pass 2. Your opponent can call the play, and if you switch receivers real fast, you can dump it off to Rice and he will catch it most of the time. Can't stop that play.

I have to admit I never played, or if I did it wasn't that memorable. What game console was it on?

That was nintendo... There are several teams that were unstoppable. I could beat anyone with the Bears, Packers or Chiefs too. There were just some plays that could never be stopped, regardless of the defense and if you new those plays, you could run them 90% of the time and score every time.

I never had an NES because I was more on the PC games at that point. First console was a SNES though - and I still have it. I'm not sure I ever played Tecmo. Madden was probably the first football game that came into the house. Much more EA Sports hockey played at my place.

Super Tecmo Bowl in NES is the best football game of all time. The version on Genesis & SNES were terrible.

Some highlights:

• FOR YOU FANTASY GEEKS, IT WAS THE FIRST GAME EVER TO KEEP STATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o I used to plays seasons & try to do the following:

 Shutout all teams for the entire season w/ the Bears. Also feed the ball to Neal Anderson.

 Run for 1,000/yards+ a game w/ BARRY for the entire season. This required 10 TD games & perfect D play to get the ball back. Also lots of running back to the 5 yard line on punt return.

 Putting up sick passing #s w/ HOUSTON or PHILLY.

• You can change the plays & yes the Run & Shoot plays are great. As are some of the quick hitting runs.

• Dallas - If the game came out 2-3 years later this team would have been great, but they are boring & slow.

• Philadelphia - Great team. White was a stud on D & Cunningham was a passing & running threat

• NY Giants - LT was maybe the pest D player, Otis & Megget were unstopped

• Washington - Solid all round team, WRs, Byner, Green.

• Minnesota - Bad team

• Green Bay - Bad team.

• Chicago - Great Team. My go to. Singeltary can shoot the A gap on a blitz & can get a sack on most plays & Neal Anderson is a top 4 RB in this came. Got to substitute Bailey for Muster.

• Detroit - Great O. BARRY BARRY BARRY BARRY. Best RB by far.

• New Orleans - Bad team.

• Atlanta - Good passing O, BAD MOON. & Deion was the fasted player on D.

• Tampa Bay - So so bad.

• Arizona - Bad team.

• San Francisco - May be the best all round team. Montana to Rice was unstoppable. D was great 2.

• Seattle - Bad team.

• St. Louis - Bad team.

• New England - Bad team

• NY Jets - Bad Team.

• Miami - Marino & WRs were solid

• Buffalo - Great all round team. WRs, D & Thomas was one of the best players

• Cincinnati - OK team.

• Pittsburgh - Bad team

• Cleveland - OK, solid running game w/ Mack & Metcalf.

• Indianapolis - bad team

• Houston - Great team. The Run N Shoot w/ Moon was unstoppable.

• San Diego - Bad team

• Denver - Elway was a stud & the D was good. Solid team.

• Oakland - BO & Allen was both Studs. Very goo team.

• Kansas City - The RBs were great. Word & Okoye

Because of the simplicity, some people say it's the best football game ever.

agreed--I don't have to learn a playbook to play --WOodson was also a total stud!

I used to love having a great return gut to try to take a kick off to the house.

Ah yes the LA Raiders. Bo Jackson was one of the most unstoppable virtual football players ever created. Howie Long was also a beast on the defensive line.

I also feel it's necessary to point out that the game is called "Tecmo Super Bowl" not "Super Tecmo Bowl"

There will never be another sports game, or video game in general, that has such a dominant force as Bo Jackson in that game. If playing competitively against people we would specifically place restrictions on the usage of Bo. Good times.

Great post jersey :thumbsup:

Love the YouTube vid too, Turducken.

Ah yes the LA Raiders. Bo Jackson was one of the most unstoppable virtual football players ever created. Howie Long was also a beast on the defensive line.

When I saw the subject I thought the same thing. Bo and Howie.

You can actually play Super Tecmo Bowl online and play with updated rosters. The only problem with the update rosters is that the engine doesn't have the newer teams such as Jax, Carolina etc. so some players will be on different teams. I can't think of the actual website that offers this, I'm sure there are a few out there tho.

There will never be another sports game, or video game in general, that has such a dominant force as Bo Jackson in that game. If playing competitively against people we would specifically place restrictions on the usage of Bo. Good times.

On the offensive side. Yep Bo was great, as was Barry Sanders.

But I think the single most dominant player was LT.

:cheers: :first:

This thread brings back some awesome memories.

Kind of funny how you look at technology, and the realism of todays games. And you tell a kid to look at that game and they look at you funny (as would I).

But living through it and having it as a teenager. Man that game just got the 1 and a million.

It just hit at the right place at the right time I think.

:doublethumbsup:

Anyone by any chance play the latest Tecmo Bowl that came out this year for the PS3/360? Same gameplay (with updated HD graphics if you want / optional)... unfortunately it uses fake teams and players though, so that's why I didn't get it. But I am curious as to how it plays... especially since it would be easy for me to play against friends online. And I'm also wondering if the fake players are akin to real players.

Anyone by any chance play the latest Tecmo Bowl that came out this year for the PS3/360? Same gameplay (with updated HD graphics if you want / optional)... unfortunately it uses fake teams and players though, so that's why I didn't get it. But I am curious as to how it plays... especially since it would be easy for me to play against friends online. And I'm also wondering if the fake players are akin to real players.

plays just like tecmo super bowl. i'm not sure if the fake players are supposed to mimic real players or not, but i don't really care. it's fun.

Super Tecmo Bowl in NES is the best football game of all time. The version on Genesis & SNES were terrible.

Some highlights:

• FOR YOU FANTASY GEEKS, IT WAS THE FIRST GAME EVER TO KEEP STATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o I used to plays seasons & try to do the following:

 Shutout all teams for the entire season w/ the Bears. Also feed the ball to Neal Anderson.

 Run for 1,000/yards+ a game w/ BARRY for the entire season. This required 10 TD games & perfect D play to get the ball back. Also lots of running back to the 5 yard line on punt return.

 Putting up sick passing #s w/ HOUSTON or PHILLY.

• You can change the plays & yes the Run & Shoot plays are great. As are some of the quick hitting runs.

• Dallas - If the game came out 2-3 years later this team would have been great, but they are boring & slow.

• Philadelphia - Great team. White was a stud on D & Cunningham was a passing & running threat

• NY Giants - LT was maybe the pest D player, Otis & Megget were unstopped

• Washington - Solid all round team, WRs, Byner, Green.

• Minnesota - Bad team

• Green Bay - Bad team.

• Chicago - Great Team. My go to. Singeltary can shoot the A gap on a blitz & can get a sack on most plays & Neal Anderson is a top 4 RB in this came. Got to substitute Bailey for Muster.

• Detroit - Great O. BARRY BARRY BARRY BARRY. Best RB by far.

• New Orleans - Bad team.

• Atlanta - Good passing O, BAD MOON. & Deion was the fasted player on D.

• Tampa Bay - So so bad.

• Arizona - Bad team.

• San Francisco - May be the best all round team. Montana to Rice was unstoppable. D was great 2.

• Seattle - Bad team.

• St. Louis - Bad team.

• New England - Bad team

• NY Jets - Bad Team.

• Miami - Marino & WRs were solid

• Buffalo - Great all round team. WRs, D & Thomas was one of the best players

• Cincinnati - OK team.

• Pittsburgh - Bad team

• Cleveland - OK, solid running game w/ Mack & Metcalf.

• Indianapolis - bad team

• Houston - Great team. The Run N Shoot w/ Moon was unstoppable.

• San Diego - Bad team

• Denver - Elway was a stud & the D was good. Solid team.

• Oakland - BO & Allen was both Studs. Very goo team.

• Kansas City - The RBs were great. Word & Okoye

I played a full season with the Saints in Super Tecmo never running an offensive play. My rule wa that I had to win on safeties and special teams points. If I didn't run a kickoff or punt back for a TD or into field goal range I would just punt the ball back and try to pin them in the 5 to try for the safety. I went 13-3 and won the Tecmo Bowl.

You can actually play Super Tecmo Bowl online and play with updated rosters. The only problem with the update rosters is that the engine doesn't have the newer teams such as Jax, Carolina etc. so some players will be on different teams. I can't think of the actual website that offers this, I'm sure there are a few out there tho.

What? They've had the Jaguars and Panthers on there for years now. To add them they had to take out certain stuff that was pointless, such as hearing the QB say HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT over and over. They have the 32 teams and all of the schedules perfect.