Sign in to follow this  
CowboysDieHard

UPDATE: Ezekiel Elliot saga continues - Suspension back on

Bcoz DMC is the overall better back.. In addition to having a gear Morris doesn't have, DMC is a far superior blocker and pass catcher too.

But it is Red making the call - so I would not be surprised to see him try and feature Morris.

the thing this ignores is scheme fit. DMC is a poor ZBS runner, so if he were to start, DAL would have to change the scheme that the OL is built for. morris OTOH is a prototype ZBS runner, so the OL can continue to do what they're best at.

there's no question that DMC is better in the pass game, but what DAL needs is the run game. that makes morris the better choice as a starter, with DMC as 3DB and change of pace.

Needed him! Okay Alf, let's win this!

the thing this ignores is scheme fit. DMC is a poor ZBS runner, so if he were to start, DAL would have to change the scheme that the OL is built for.

Idk, I don't put too much stock into 'scheme' fits. DMC has been doing this long enuff, he's totally capable of running behind whatever.. In 2015 I saw him start 10 games and run for a 4.6 ypc average, on his way to 1100 yards - same scheme... I like Morris, but I'd more favor the versatility of DMC.

Idk, I don't put too much stock into 'scheme' fits. DMC has been doing this long enuff, he's totally capable of running behind whatever.. In 2015 I saw him start 10 games and run for a 4.6 ypc average, on his way to 1100 yards - same scheme... I like Morris, but I'd more favor the versatility of DMC.

I cant wait til this endless Dallas backup RB debate is over. On that note...lets go Alfie!

I cant wait til this endless Dallas backup RB debate is over. On that note...lets go Alfie!

Until Zeke returns, it will never be over.... Have to remember, at the end of the day, we're still debating back ups.. If either of them were really all that - they'd be starting somewhere.

It's good for discussion, and really - nobody knows........ If I had to guess, it's RBBC - up until one of them performs so well Red just can't take snaps away from one of them anymore, or one of them gets Dak killed on a missed block.

in 2015, you saw him run for a 3.2 YPC average when the score was within a TD, and something like a 7 YPC average on draw plays during trash time when opponents were blowing out the cowboys. i think it was mosher who looked at every carry, and found that DMC's final average was wildly inflated by garbage runs that had no influence on the game.

anyway, i have a feeling that rod smith is going to surprise some people.

anyway, i have a feeling that rod smith is going to surprise some people.

I'll have to research the data....... But even at 3.2 ypc within a score - rather impressive considering 8 and 9 were in the box - with no fear of Moe, Larry and Curly under center (Cassel, Weeden and Moore).

Jerry, Stephen, Will and Red have known, going back before the season opener, that this was a real possibility.......... If RBBC with whomever doesn't work, I'm going to be pissed... It's one thing to lose a player to an in-game injury, it's another to not have a back up plan to something you've known about since forever.

I don't care who gets the ball, I care about keeping Dak upright and moving the chains..... Speaking of Dak, he's going to have to take a more active role in the running game. He's going to have to tuck it and go more than just 2 or 3 times a game... You can be smart about it, but you can't play scared - time to maximize our assets.

The hell with Zeke, Tyron Smith is by far and away the MVP of this Dallas team.

Good gawd Chaz Green is focking terrible - a loaf of bread would been better out there.

Good gawd Chaz Green is focking terrible - a loaf of bread would been better out there.

I had to turn it off. Had the 49er game on tv and figured I'd watch Dallas online with Dak, Morris and Sanu in my lineup. Unflippin real.

that was insane. aikman sure didn't pull any punches, either. sounded actually angry when green had G help and still got beaten to the outside. what's crazy is that everyone said that green had a great week of practice, and he held up well in his 3 starts last season. it's like he was playing with a hangover or the flu or something.

last week, we were a legitimate playoff contender. subtract 3 all-pros, and we might as well start looking at draft prospects in the 14-20 range. especially with the way that PHI is playing.

Tried telling weepaws and some others that in the Dak thread. They aren't seeing it.

I was actually impressed with the running game in the 3rd quarter. Alf is no Zeke, but he's clearly capable.

And again, Garrett seems incapable of learning on the fly and making adjustments.

Give those clowns some help over there ffs!

Very frustrating to watch.

...And again, Garrett seems incapable of learning on the fly and making adjustments.

Give those clowns some help over there ffs! Very frustrating to watch.

The base is up in arms and raging today around here. Everyone saying Red may need to go......I'm like, really - you just NOW focking figured this out????

The list of reasons Garrett sucks as a HC wraps around the building. Failure to make in-game adjustments is #67... Great pick Chaz Green was. Not only did we fire a 3rd at him, but Jerry drafted him while he was hurt. :doh:

• Like 1

Tried telling weepaws and some others that in the Dak thread. They aren't seeing it.

I was actually impressed with the running game in the 3rd quarter. Alf is no Zeke, but he's clearly capable.

And again, Garrett seems incapable of learning on the fly and making adjustments.

Give those clowns some help over there ffs!

Very frustrating to watch.

You don't think tha the treat of a talent at Rb like The Zeke would have indeed slow down that pass rush?m

Wha it said was I think it would have.

The Zeke absents from the team is going to hurt the team, do you think it does?

Now that's what I was typing about.

You don't think tha the treat of a talent at Rb like The Zeke would have indeed slow down that pass rush?m

Wha it said was I think it would have.

The Zeke absents from the team is going to hurt the team, do you think it does?

Now that's what I was typing about.

Of course it hurts. But not nearly as much as people think and not anywhere close to as much as losing Tyron Smith.

What were your observations about Alf's 53 yds on 11 carries?

so is zeke dropable now? the earliest you can get him back is week 16 and thats a huge if. we have limited roster spots so hanging on to him is costing me potential waivers pickups

DMC the overall better back. :dunno:

Alf looked good out there. T Smith was the biggest factor.

I saw only one carry for DMac and he was quickly taken down in the backfield.

It sure seems like Smith out snapped Alf, but I haven't seen a final count.

Of course it hurts. But not nearly as much as people think and not anywhere close to as much as losing Tyron Smith.

What were your observations about Alf's 53 yds on 11 carries?

He found some holes in the 3rd qtr when the Cowboys where losing by 13 points is my take.

The def front were using some wide splits and had no respect for the Cowboys run game, why No The Zeke.

And Dak was beat up and down.

And that's going to be how other teams going forward will attack them and should without The Zeke.

Non of those other three Rb scare a def like The Zeke does on that team, what says you?

He found some holes in the 3rd qtr when the Cowboys where losing by 13 points is my take.

The def front were using some wide splits and had no respect for the Cowboys run game, why No The Zeke.

And that's going to be how other teams going forward will attack them and should without The Zeke.

Non of those other three Rb scare a def like The Zeke does on that team, what says you?

It's not elliott. Prescott got beat up because coaching didn't adjust to Clayton(I think is his name?). The guy had 6 of the teams 8 sacks from the same position. He told reporters after the game that he only has one move but it just kept working.

There were a lot of good offense showings yesterday and none of them needed elliott.

Bigger issue is the Cowboys ran the ball only 21 times I think. That team isn't built to be that pass heavy. I cannot believe the coaches didn't adjust to Clayborn against the backup left tackle. Jesus, how hard is it to move Witten to the blind side and have him chip/double him?! Even 1 more second may have made the difference on several of those sacks. They just left the dude on an island and in turn left Dak in harms way, which nuts. I was actually a little surprised, I saw at least 2 sacks where Clayborn launched himself into Dak.

Back to the topic...so apparently there is another chance for more legal wrangling come first of December, and some chatter of Elliott suing the league? Probably just wishful thinking on my part... :cry:

I've already stated my position on the matter.

They've proven they can run the ball without Zeke.

They've yet to prove they can protect Dak's blind side without Smith.

Bigger issue is the Cowboys ran the ball only 21 times I think. That team isn't built to be that pass heavy. I cannot believe the coaches didn't adjust to Clayborn against the backup left tackle. Jesus, how hard is it to move Witten to the blind side and have him chip/double him?! Even 1 more second may have made the difference on several of those sacks. They just left the dude on an island and in turn left Dak in harms way, which nuts. I was actually a little surprised, I saw at least 2 sacks where Clayborn launched himself into Dak.

Back to the topic...so apparently there is another chance for more legal wrangling come first of December, and some chatter of Elliott suing the league? Probably just wishful thinking on my part... :cry:

yeah, i appreciate garrett's coaching more than most fans, but this was yet another example of his biggest weakness: lack of adaptability. it's good to have the courage of your convictions, but you can't be so pigheaded that you refuse to adapt to changing situations. JG has a thing about "we run our scheme", and he keeps doing it almost blindly. leaving green on an island is a classic example of that, and garrett might have destroyed his confidence as a player in doing so. one of the few times green had TE help, dak dropped a dime for a 20+ yard gain.

I've already stated my position on the matter.

They've proven they can run the ball without Zeke.

They've yet to prove they can protect Dak's blind side without Smith.

this is a very cogent argument.

yeah, i appreciate garrett's coaching more than most fans, but this was yet another example of his biggest weakness: lack of adaptability. it's good to have the courage of your convictions, but you can't be so pigheaded that you refuse to adapt to changing situations. JG has a thing about "we run our scheme", and he keeps doing it almost blindly. leaving green on an island is a classic example of that, and garrett might have destroyed his confidence as a player in doing so. one of the few times green had TE help, dak dropped a dime for a 20+ yard gain.

I don't know how much more it takes, how many more examples of JG looking clueless and taking his team out of a game before fans realize he isn't cut out to be a HC.

7+ years in, 1 playoff win - and even at that, needed a rabbit-out-of-the-hat PI call against DET to win it..... With JG supporters, I'm reminded of Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin... Red supporters are like Linus sitting in the pumpkin patch - year after year they believe, year after year they say, "This is the year, this is the year the Great Pumpkin will rise out of the pumpkin patch and bring toys to all the little boys and girls, this is the year!"..............If it hasn't sunk in after near 8 years - I guess it never will.

I don't know how much more it takes, how many more examples of JG looking clueless and taking his team out of a game before fans realize he isn't cut out to be a HC.

7+ years in, 1 playoff win - and even at that, needed a rabbit-out-of-the-hat PI call against DET to win it..... With JG supporters, I'm reminded of Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin... Red supporters are like Linus sitting in the pumpkin patch - year after year they believe, year after year they say, "This is the year, this is the year the Great Pumpkin will rise out of the pumpkin patch and bring toys to all the little boys and girls, this is the year!"..............If it hasn't sunk in after near 8 years - I guess it never will.

It's odd, but there's a "I went to Princeton, I'm smarter than all you people" feel to things...which may be true. But from a common sense standpoint, he often displays very little. As much as I HATE Bill Belichick, nobody is better at adjustments than he is. Week to week and even in game, if something isn't working he adjusts to it. And conversely, he makes you adjust to him. I see very little of that from Garrett.

i see. so we're back to "jerry is a highly skilled GM who has assembled a fundamentally sound roster with his cagey drafting and FA deals, but garrett messes it all up." because i seem to recall you saying something different when the jerry used premium draft capital on guys like claiborne, escobar, lawrence, gregory, elliott, jaylon, and taco.

here's something i was saying all through the offseason, and that media analysts are finally wising up to this week: the cowboys are returning to the bad old days of a top-heavy roster of glamorous big-name stars, with almost no viable depth. they now have top-10 contracts at WR (6), RB (9), LT (4), RT (4), C (2), K (5), and DS (6). they have expiring contracts at G (will be top-2), DE (will be tagged), and 3tech (will be 1st round tendered). the biggest investment in defense is tyrone crawford--an injury-plagued former 3rd round pick who floats between LDE, RDE, and 3tech. the rest of the team splits about seventeen dollars and a cup of coffee. i think the defense gets a couple of bucks of that.

there are plenty of fuckups to go around, but on balance, jerry's mistakes weigh far heavier in the grand scheme of things than garrett's.

i see. so we're back to "jerry is a highly skilled GM who has assembled a fundamentally sound roster with his cagey drafting and FA deals, but garrett messes it all up." because i seem to recall you saying something different when the jerry used premium draft capital on guys like claiborne, escobar, lawrence, gregory, elliott, jaylon, and taco.

there are plenty of fuckups to go around, but on balance, jerry's mistakes weigh far heavier in the grand scheme of things than garrett's.

I see. So we're back to kissing Red's ass, pretending like this clown has done something. 8 years in and you're still in denial.. Maybe when we go 30 years with not even a sniff of a Championship game, and Garrett is 15 years into his command with maybe 2 playoff wins by then - it will sink in.

Garrett has proven time and time and time and time and time and time and time again that he's not cut out for this - is over his head. For all of Jerry's faults - those mental blunders aren't on him.

But yes, Jerry is a problem - always has been. He rules with his heart, not his head... But you can't fire Jerry, he's here to stay... The bad contracts are bad, agreed. But Jerrry's biggest blunder impact has been thru the draft. The likes of Chaz Green, Escobar, Jaylon, etc.. they are what's suffocating the depth - not Cap $$$.

Wish he had just served at the start of the year now.

no fockin sh!t. man, did I ever lose that gamble. Ain't no way I'm making the championship to see him come back. :wall:

no fockin sh!t. man, did I ever lose that gamble. Ain't no way I'm making the championship to see him come back. :wall:

Haha, now I have pray for DJ to come back early...

Haha, now I have pray for DJ to come back early...

In one league (10 teamer...so a little watered down) I drafted DJ, Zeke and Kareem Hunt. I "should" be unleashing Wrath of God style beatings every week but that dream has died...

In one league (10 teamer...so a little watered down) I drafted DJ, Zeke and Kareem Hunt. I "should" be unleashing Wrath of God style beatings every week but that dream has died...

Same here. I have Drake to,replace Zeke and I traded for Mixon to,replace DJ.

I see. So we're back to kissing Red's ass, pretending like this clown has done something. 8 years in and you're still in denial.. Maybe when we go 30 years with not even a sniff of a Championship game, and Garrett is 15 years into his command with maybe 2 playoff wins by then it will sink in.

Garrett has proven time and time and time and time and time and time and time again that he's not cut out for this - is over his head. For all of Jerry's faults - those mental blunders aren't on him.

But yes, Jerry is a problem - always has been. He rules with his heart, not his head... But you can't fire Jerry, he's here to stay... The bad contracts are bad, agreed. But Jerrry's biggest blunder impact has been thru the draft. The likes of Chaz Green, Escobar, Jaylon, etc.. they are what's suffocating the depth - not Cap $$$.

yeah, any idiot can coach a team to a 13-3 record despite losing an elite-level QB the week preseason ends (not to mention a talent void on defense). jerry said the same thing when he let jimmy walk, and we all know how that turned out.

you talk about 8 years--why don't you make a list of coaches who have consistently out-achieved garrett since 2010. we'll ignore the condition of the roster when he inherited it--just a list of who has won more. i suspect that if you look at the numbers, you'll find that there's a short list of 7 or 8 coaches who consistently dominate, and then garrett right along with everyone else. he's currently 15th in overall win % among HCs, and that includes a couple of data-unstable guys with great winrates on tiny sample sizes. are you saying that over half the coaches in the league are terrible?

because if so, we need to have a long talk about the normal distribution and bell curve.

yeah, any idiot can coach a team to a 13-3 record despite losing an elite-level QB the week preseason ends (not to mention a talent void on defense). jerry said the same thing when he let jimmy walk, and we all know how that turned out.

you talk about 8 years--why don't you make a list of coaches who have consistently out-achieved garrett since 2010. we'll ignore the condition of the roster when he inherited it--just a list of who has won more. i suspect that if you look at the numbers, you'll find that there's a short list of 7 or 8 coaches who consistently dominate, and then garrett right along with everyone else. he's currently 15th in overall win % among HCs, and that includes a couple of data-unstable guys with great winrates on tiny sample sizes. are you saying that over half the coaches in the league are terrible?

because if so, we need to have a long talk about the normal distribution and bell curve.

You apparently have different expectations from this franchise than I do...... You apparently are okay with half ass, mediocre football. You apparently are okay with 1 playoff win in 8 years - I'm not, I expect more from this team and the legacy it has been founded on.

But I get it, Red went 13-3 one year and he's a swell guy - all part of the Process!

You apparently have different expectations from this franchise than I do...... You apparently are okay with half ass, mediocre football. You apparently are okay with 1 playoff win in 8 years - I'm not, I expect more from this team and the legacy it has been founded on.

But I get it, Red went 13-3 one year and he's a swell guy - all part of the Process!

red and romo kept a bad team playoff-relevant for 3 years while completely gutting and rebuilding it. when the giants or eagles rebuild, they go 4-12 and fail their way to draft success. after the rebuild, red has gone 12-4 and 13-3 when he had QB play (but no defense), and a lost season where he had neither QB nor legitimate RB nor defense. and both playoff runs were ended by arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game.

in that same timeframe, sean payton has gone 7-9 four times, despite having another of the greatest QBs in NFL history under center.

you're starting to sound a lot like those guys currently clamoring to cut chaz green, thinking that they can just magic up a replacement for him. if someone on the street is better than green, the guy wouldn't be out on the street. garrett is at least in the 50th percentile of NFL head coaches, fresh off a NFL coach of the year award. so be specific--which available coach (with a better track record, of course) are you going to replace him with?

red and romo kept a bad team playoff-relevant for 3 years while completely gutting and rebuilding it. when the giants or eagles rebuild, they go 4-12 and fail their way to draft success. after the rebuild, red has gone 12-4 and 13-3 when he had QB play (but no defense), and a lost season where he had neither QB nor legitimate RB nor defense. and both playoff runs were ended by arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game.

in that same timeframe, sean payton has gone 7-9 four times, despite having another of the greatest QBs in NFL history under center.

you're starting to sound a lot like those guys currently clamoring to cut chaz green, thinking that they can just magic up a replacement for him. if someone on the street is better than green, the guy wouldn't be out on the street. garrett is at least in the 50th percentile of NFL head coaches, fresh off a NFL coach of the year award. so be specific--which available coach (with a better track record, of course) are you going to replace him with?

Correction - Romo kept a bad team playoff-relevant for 3 years........ I remember JG doing some of the same coaching, game mismanaging goofs back then as he does now. Of course back then, he was green - I cut him some slack. We are 8 years in now - and he's still doing the same stupid stuff..........no more slack.

You failed to mention - Sean Payton also has a 6-4 post season record, 2 NFC Championship appearances and a SB title....... Which I'm you'll say is basically the same as JG's 1 post season win.......um, no.

You're starting to sound like a lot like Mickey Spagnola - peaches and roses, everything is fine in Cowboys land. JG is great and the process is working.......... I'm not one of those saying cut Chaz Green - but I am one of the ones (as I've been saying for a few years) that Chaz Green was an abysmal, wasted, 3rd round pick.. I said it back then, holds true today... Cutting him does you no good, agreed.. But for Gawd's sakes - how many times does your franchise QB have to get blown up before your get a clue and put a chip on him? You said it yourself - JG does not make in-game adjustments well..... This is not new, this has been one of his hallmark blunders his whole coaching career. ...... There's a reason this franchise leads the league in Home, Blown, Double-digit, leads since 2010. Hell, it's not even close, we have twice as many as the team in 2nd........ and it has nothing to do with Jerry, it has to do with Red not having the sense to make in-game adjustments and manage games.

Is it possible that both Jerry and Garrett aren't very good at what they are trying to do?

Just sayin'.

Correction - Romo kept a bad team playoff-relevant for 3 years........ I remember JG doing some of the same coaching, game mismanaging goofs back then as he does now. Of course back then, he was green - I cut him some slack. We are 8 years in now - and he's still doing the same stupid stuff..........no more slack.

You failed to mention - Sean Payton also has a 6-4 post season record, 2 NFC Championship appearances and a SB title....... Which I'm you'll say is basically the same as JG's 1 post season win.......um, no.

You're starting to sound like a lot like Mickey Spagnola - peaches and roses, everything is fine in Cowboys land. JG is great and the process is working.......... I'm not one of those saying cut Chaz Green - but I am one of the ones (as I've been saying for a few years) that Chaz Green was an abysmal, wasted, 3rd round pick.. I said it back then, holds true today... Cutting him does you no good, agreed.. But for Gawd's sakes - how many times does your franchise QB have to get blown up before your get a clue and put a chip on him? You said it yourself - JG does not make in-game adjustments well..... This is not new, this has been one of his hallmark blunders his whole coaching career. ...... There's a reason this franchise leads the league in Home, Blown, Double-digit, leads since 2010. Hell, it's not even close, we have twice as many as the team in 2nd........ and it has nothing to do with Jerry, it has to do with Red not having the sense to make in-game adjustments and manage games.

Is it possible that both Jerry and Garrett aren't very good at what they are trying to do?

Just sayin'.

it's possible, but if the GM isn't very good, and the HC isn't very good, how does the team stay at .500 while getting completely gutted and rebuilt, then go 12-4 and 13-3 with 2 different QBs?

both jerry and garrett have done good things and bad things. at this moment though, the problems are far more on jerry than they are on garrett. as the recent ESPN article revealed, jerry went into this season thinking super bowl, and tailored his decisions around that--that's how we have the 4th highest paid RT in the league, even though he had never played tackle at this level before. that's why TWill got paid. we're returning to 'bad jerry' habits of right now rather than sustainable team structure.