Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

My son is going to state!

He's quite the mathlete!

• Like 3

Which state? Cause there's a ton of them and a ton of schools that have "state" their name and they're not that good.

State math competition you foo's, he's 10

State math competition you food, he's 10

LOL Congrats!!!

Ok so dumb question..Is this an event that can have an audience? I mean can the parents go and cheer the little mathelete on?

State math competition you food, he's 10

Lol oooh ok. You didn't specify so I wasn't sure haha. Well good for him. Hopefully that does get him into state :thumbsup:

Which state? I mean, if it's math in Alabama, the bar isn't too high. However, if it's one of the smart states like Colorado or Kansas, that's an achievement!

:lol:

congrats
<_<

LOL Congrats!!!

Ok so dumb question..Is this an event that can have an audience? I mean can the parents go and cheer the little mathelete on?

He goes and sits in a classroom for a few hours taking math tests, then they have an awards portion and recognize the top scores. And he likes it. I don't get it.

Which state? I mean, if it's math in Alabama, the bar isn't too high. However, if it's one of the smart states like Colorado or Kansas, that's an achievement!

kansas is considered smart? :blink: they've had a ton of funding problems and have made major cuts to schools. Your answer is missouri.

You need to come up with some math cheers. Maybe a two-part sign like D and a fence, only it could be

D ______x pi = C

Also, today is pi day.

You need to come up with some math cheers. Maybe a two-part sign like D and a fence, only it could be

D ______x pi = C

Also, today is pi day.

I celebrated it at Blaze Pizza, it was great

Should have sent him to Mizzou so he could learn to check his white privledge and avoid microaggressions.

States.

I really respect Pi. I couldn't for the life of me tell you how it works or how someone figgered ti out, but its on of the few 'advanced' math things that isn't just total mental masturbation.

I mean, the mere fact that it's a constant in circumference calculation is genius. If you know you've got a 2 inch diameter, you know you're going to TOTALLY rip out some chick's O-ring. That's pretty cool.

Pretty much, I gave up as soon as we got to imaginary numbers. Seriously, I remember literally "peace out"-ing the day they brought that up in school. Algebra? Genius. Very helpful. Trig / Calculus? Fock that. That's just guys with too much time ont heir hands and not enough puzzy on their minds.

kansas is considered smart? :blink: they've had a ton of funding problems and have made major cuts to schools. Your answer is missouri.

For some reason I thought you were in Kansas, that's why I said it... I MEANT to say Colorado or Missouri.

Dude took 4th overall in one of the categories for 4th grade :blink:

• Like 2

Dude took 4th overall in one of the categories for 4th grade :blink:

Which would be awesome if he wasn't 15. :banana:

So he just skipped County?

So he just skipped County?

it's Regionals, state and then a national competition coming up in Houston. He did well enough for his school to send him to Regionals, placed in the top 10 at Regionals to qualify for state and then at state you have to be in the top 5 in your grade level as they add up three different categories to go to nationals. I think he was like 27th out of 58 in the overall score at state.

What struck me through this process (maybe not surprising but apparent) was the percentage of Oriental kids placing, the handful of white kids who placed and how few other minorities were represented.

Has the educational success of past generations of different races made it where some races are better prepared to succeed. What can we do to help Hispanics, blacks, and even our white kids learn at a higher level than they currently are :dunno:

Now I guess we are headed to UW - LaCrosse as his team just won State in Future Problem Solvers International :dunno:

• Like 1

it's Regionals, state and then a national competition coming up in Houston. He did well enough for his school to send him to Regionals, placed in the top 10 at Regionals to qualify for state and then at state you have to be in the top 5 in your grade level as they add up three different categories to go to nationals. I think he was like 27th out of 58 in the overall score at state.

What struck me through this process (maybe not surprising but apparent) was the percentage of Oriental kids placing, the handful of white kids who placed and how few other minorities were represented.

Has the educational success of past generations of different races made it where some races are better prepared to succeed. What can we do to help Hispanics, blacks, and even our white kids learn at a higher level than they currently are :dunno:

Oriental? :lol:

Also congrats on your kid. And the real dad. :thumbsup:

Now I guess we are headed to UW - LaCrosse as his team just won State in Future Problem Solvers International :dunno:

No shortage of bars there for you.

When a terrorist dies, he gets 72 mathletes.

Nice! :doublethumbsup:

Have both parents that work and set a good example.

For some reason I thought you were in Kansas, that's why I said it... I MEANT to say Colorado or Missouri.

He's what us real Missourians call a MOHAWKER,lives in MO and cheers for the fockin' Jayhawkers

He's what us real Missourians call a MOHAWKER,lives in MO and cheers for the fockin' Jayhawkers

I went to school there :P
  • Like 1

Oriental? :lol:

Also congrats on your kid. And the real dad. :thumbsup:

That term would get him lynched in some circles.

And yes, cultural differences make some groups more likely to succeed. Jewish, Indian and East Asian parents instill a lot of the same values in the kids regarding education. African American and Hispanics, not so much. But just about any first generation immigrant seems to work harder than Whitey.