Sign in to follow this  
OldMaid

Stephen King's Under the Dome to become a CBS show.

CBS Gives Straight-to-Series Order to Steven Spielberg/Stephen King Drama Deadline

CBS is breaking out of the mold of its trademark police procedurals with a new drama series from Steven Spielberg and Stephen King, Deadline.com reports. The network gave a straight-to-series order for 13 episodes of “Under the Dome,” based on King’s 2009 bestseller.

The series, set to run next summer, will be produced by Spielberg’s Amblin Television, the report notes. With “Unforgettable” also in the works, the projects mark CBS’s biggest move in years into off-season scripted originals.

“’Under the Dome’ tells the story of a small New England town suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome,” the story reports. “The town’s inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from and if and when it will go away.”

The project is written by Brian K. Vaughan of “Lost.”

The piece notes: “CBS landed ‘Under the Dome’ in turnaround. The supernatural thriller was originally set up at pay cable sibling Showtime in August 2011. When Amblin sensed the project was not moving forward at Showtime, they asked the network to release it and took it out to the broadcast networks. In an effort to keep the show in the family, Showtime Entertainment President David Nevins, who liked the project despite feeling it was not right for Showtime, recommended it to his CBS counterpart Nina Tassler, who was interested.”

CBS TV Studios will produce the show along with Amblin. Neal Baer is attached as showrunner, and Niels Arden Oplev (“The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”) will direct episode one, the story reports.

My link

“’Under the Dome’ tells the story of a small New England town suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome,” the story reports. “The town’s inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from and if and when it will go away.”

Way to rip off "The Simpsons Movie". :rolleyes:

(spoiler alert: Follow Maggie to the sandbox)

Way to rip off "The Simpsons Movie". :rolleyes:

(spoiler alert: Follow Maggie to the sandbox)

:lol:

As a King fan, I'll probably check it out, but I don't have overly high hopes.

Was it a good book ?? Worth my time ??

Not his best, but not his worst, either.

That's not much help there kid. Did you enjoy it ?

Since on subject what is best and worst ?

This. It's worth reading, I think.

This. It's worth reading, I think.

Thanks Big blue in fact that is what I am reading now - Out of the Blue - Victor Cruz's autobio.

I enjoyed it. It does have one of those endings that people will either hate or love.

I'll have to think about that and get back to you.

While touted as the closest thing to The Stand (not only his best, but my favorite piece of fiction ever), this didn't measure up. It was worth reading but I didn't take 30 minutes dumps every day just to get a few extra pages in. 3 out of 5.

Has anyone else ever read The Talisman? It is the only King book i have read and I enjoyed it a lot.

You should read the sequel, Black House.

Actually, if you feel up to it... there are a lot of similarities and connections in The Dark Tower series, that you would probably enjoy.

I'd much rather see this end up on HBO or Showtime instead. I have a feeling CBS will water it down too much.

They need to get James Gandolfini to play Big Jim Rennie. He'd be a perfect fit.

You should read the sequel, Black House.

Actually, if you feel up to it... there are a lot of similarities and connections in The Dark Tower series, that you would probably enjoy.

Agreed. I love the Dark Tower books, and just recently started reading them again from the beginning. I just finished The Waste Lands, Dark Tower 3. :thumbsup:

I still think they need to make a movie for Duma Key. Very underrated King book.

This is one of the few that I didn't read. I think I'll put it on my list. :thumbsup:

This is one of the few that I didn't read. I think I'll put it on my list. :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed it. My daughter gave it to me for Xmas a few years ago and I read it while hanging out on Boca Grande island in Florida.

Agreed. I love the Dark Tower books, and just recently started reading them again from the beginning. I just finished The Waste Lands, Dark Tower 3. :thumbsup:

This may be elementary but i dont know if i will ever enjoy a book more than Ender's Game. I really did like the Bean saga (did not read the most recent book) as a whole. The ending from Ender's Game left me with my mouth open and chills all over. Maybe you saw it coming but I sure didnt. I mean to read the Ender saga as soon as i either get a kindle or go buy the books.

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk is a new good one.

Was it a good book ?? Worth my time ??

Great focking story and a real page turner till the end then you're like WTF!!If you read IT then you know what I mean.

Bump

Series premiere slated for June 24th at 10:00pm on CBS. :thumbsup:

It's going to get cancelled.

:lol: Prolly... But I like where you're going with this. Maybe if we go into it thinking it's gonna suck balls, we can avoid the dreaded Candlewick curse. ;)

Bump

Series premiere slated for June 24th at 10:00pm on CBS. :thumbsup:

Awesome thank god you told us in time to set our dvrs

:lol: Prolly... But I like where you're going with this. Maybe if we go into it thinking it's gonna suck balls, we can avoid the dreaded Candlewick curse. ;)

I'm just going to continue to believe it is going to get cancelled and then maybe it will actually be a good show and I can catch it on Netflix after the first season is done. ;)

Enjoyed the book, but I just can't see how it will make a successful weekly series. I hope I'm wrong.

Enjoyed the book, but I just can't see how it will make a successful weekly series. I hope I'm wrong.

Dome or Duma?

Dome or Duma?

Is there currently plans to make Duma into a tv show? No. He means Dome... duh...

I read they are going to change the ending. That will be good because: 1) Most people didn't like the ending. And 2) It will give them more material for the series.

I hope this turns out to be successful.

Spider Pig. Spider Pig. Does things that no other pig does...

I believe it's "does whatever a Spider Pig does." :thumbsup:

Big Simpsons fan but I didn't really enjoy the movie. :(

I believe it's "does whatever a Spider Pig does." :thumbsup:

Big Simpsons fan but I didn't really enjoy the movie. :(

Same here, didn't like the movie the first time I saw it. However, it has grown on me in subsequent viewings. :thumbsup:

Same here, didn't like the movie the first time I saw it. However, it has grown on me in subsequent viewings. :thumbsup:

Ah, maybe I should give it another try. I just felt like it was written to appeal to too wide an audience of casual and non-Simpsons fans, and we'd already seen a lot of it before. Some things didn't make much sense in the Simpsons universe, either, like Arnold Schwarzenegger suddenly being a character (Rainier Wolfcastle is Arnold Schwarzenegger) and being president. Hmm, okay. :dunno:

Ah, maybe I should give it another try. I just felt like it was written to appeal to too wide an audience of casual and non-Simpsons fans, and we'd already seen a lot of it before. Some things didn't make much sense in the Simpsons universe, either, like Arnold Schwarzenegger suddenly being a character (Rainier Wolfcastle is Arnold Schwarzenegger) and being president. Hmm, okay. :dunno:

Definitely liked the book better. Far more realistic. :o

They need to get James Gandolfini to play Big Jim Rennie. He'd be a perfect fit.

Well I guess that's out the window. <_<

So did anyone give this a shot? I tivoed it and watched last night. I think the idea is interesting and even though I didn't like how the book ended, I think the story could play well to TV.

The acting was okay, not great.

So did anyone give this a shot? I tivoed it and watched last night. I think the idea is interesting and even though I didn't like how the book ended, I think the story could play well to TV.

The acting was okay, not great.

I saw somewhere that they are not using the ending in the book and got King's approval...

I watched it and I liked it...

A welcome surprise during broadcast’s usually dry summer months: CBS’ Under the Dome just debuted to a whopping 13.1 million viewers and 3.2 rating among adults 18-49 last night.

That’s the most-watched summer debut on any network since NBC’s The Singing Bee in 2007. It’s also very competitive with last season’s crop of dramas, matching Fox’s The Following as the second-highest new drama debut (NBC’s Revolution was #1).

Apparantly, the premiere was a huge ratings success. The question now is whether the show can hold on to those viewers. I guess the next couple of episodes will tell.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/25/under-the-dome-ratings-big/