Sign in to follow this  
Torn

2018 - Draft Discussion

I'm going to be offline until about 7:00pm ET. Sorry if it gets back to me before then...

When I made my Archie Bradley 13th round pick, I tried to set up a proxy for Kysar, but he is work-slammed. He is going to try to squeeze in views of his lists and do a proxy, ...but there is no telling. I am on hold for his text, ...if I am picking up my daughter from high school, ...I might forward the text to expedite the pick. Anybody free?

I'm going to be offline until about 7:00pm ET. Sorry if it gets back to me before then...

I'm back online if anyone needs a hand ... Nice progress today!

been thinking about Ian Desmond for the last 5 rounds

I've been thinking about T. Walker for awhile myself

bed time, see you guys in the AM.

good progress today.

I will be on a flight from approx 11:45am-1:45pm today and dealing with "airport stuff" in the times around then. I'll check in as I can...

I will be on a flight from approx 11:45am-1:45pm today and dealing with "airport stuff" in the times around then. I'll check in as I can...

Forgot that JetBlue has free WiFi onboard, so I was able to proxy. Landing soon, so will be offline until I get to hotel. 3:00-ish ET

I know car-go had a down 2017 in terms of HR and RBI but he's not far removed from 20+ and 100+ rbi and always produces solid avg and obp. Felt like a proper time to take the gamble

Also I noticed my roster in the spreadsheet is missing Robbie Ray.

Also I noticed my roster in the spreadsheet is missing Robbie Ray.

Fixed...

Wow, really great job by everyone over the past few days! My thanks for helping us get even better than back on track.

So, how's your draft going so far? Any regrets? Anyone snipe you bad enough to swear at your computer screen? Any pleasant surprises fall to you?

I was happy to get Stanton and Kluber at the first turn. There were plenty of solid choices, but grabbing the reigning HR champ and the reigning AL Cy Young winner seemed like the right way to go. Only snipe that really hurt was when Ghost took Bregman 2 picks before me. Really wanted that SS/3B combo. Lots of guys seem to be kryptonite to us all this year, but I liked where I got Arrieta. Seemed like a nice value ...

I knew I was getting Altuve, wasn't sure where I wanted to go by the end of round 2. I think I may have commented that it almost in hindsight would have been better to be back end of round 1 and grab a Stanton/Kulber combo like Torn or a Kershaw/Machado. By the end of round 2 you're looking at pitchers with a lot more question marks and hitters that have fallen for a reason. Being that I kept 2 pitchers, hitter was the way to go and Donaldson seemed like the best value with the best chance to jump back up into that top 10 overall status (drafted 6th? last year) still young enough, hitters park, had a great 2nd half last year and in a contract season.....

I didn't really suffer any snipes that hurt too much. I tend to draft based on targets more so than ADP. Biggest regret I guess was taking Donaldson BEFORE Bumgarner, who I really wanted. Based on keepers and Trout, I felt like Varga would pick Donaldson and might pass on MadBum. Being that I also like Bregman, I played that totally wrong. Worst case I could have had Bumgarner and Bregman. So I "settled" for Yelich. I was able to grab a lot of my targets (Merrifield, Weaver, Price, Iglesias, Kiermaier) but I also did lose some like Cody Allen, Carlos Santana, Josh Bell, Nelson Cruz..

There will be no way for me to be as happy with my team post draft as I was last year (Arenado, Bryant, Machado.....) but hey, Machado was a bust, Bryant started real slow and I missed the playoffs. So I feel good about this team and I think I like the overall quality of it better. I didn't chase players I love that I know kill me in fantasy like I did with Chris Archer last year. One of my favorite players, racks up strikeouts but I know he isn't good in ERA and WHIP and has a below average offense behind him that leads to a lot of frustrating 8 innings pitched losses.

Whoevers owns Archer can now anticipate a Cy Young.

Wow, really great job by everyone over the past few days! My thanks for helping us get even better than back on track.

So, how's your draft going so far? Any regrets? Anyone snipe you bad enough to swear at your computer screen? Any pleasant surprises fall to you?

I was happy to get Stanton and Kluber at the first turn. There were plenty of solid choices, but grabbing the reigning HR champ and the reigning AL Cy Young winner seemed like the right way to go. Only snipe that really hurt was when Ghost too Bregman 2 picks before me. Really wanted that SS/3B combo. Lots of guys seem to be kryptonite to us all this year, but I liked where I got Arrieta. Seemed like a nice value ...

First, ...the last time I posted a message telling everyone what a great job we were doing, ...JINX, ...we hit multiple, huge snags, ...right away. Hope you didn't jinx us commish, ... :shocking:

I knew I was getting Altuve, wasn't sure where I wanted to go by the end of round 2. I think I may have commented that it almost in hindsight would have been better to be back end of round 1 and grab a Stanton/Kulber combo like Torn or a Kershaw/Machado. By the end of round 2 you're looking at pitchers with a lot more question marks and hitters that have fallen for a reason. Being that I kept 2 pitchers, hitter was the way to go and Donaldson seemed like the best value with the best chance to jump back up into that top 10 overall status (drafted 6th? last year) still young enough, hitters park, had a great 2nd half last year and in a contract season.....

I didn't really suffer any snipes that hurt too much. I tend to draft based on targets more so than ADP. Biggest regret I guess was taking Donaldson BEFORE Bumgarner, who I really wanted. Based on keepers and Trout, I felt like Varga would pick Donaldson and might pass on MadBum. Being that I also like Bregman, I played that totally wrong. Worst case I could have had Bumgarner and Bregman. So I "settled" for Yelich. I was able to grab a lot of my targets (Merrifield, Weaver, Price, Iglesias, Kiermaier) but I also did lose some like Cody Allen, Carlos Santana, Josh Bell, Nelson Cruz..

There will be no way for me to be as happy with my team post draft as I was last year (Arenado, Bryant, Machado.....) but hey, Machado was a bust, Bryant started real slow and I missed the playoffs. So I feel good about this team and I think I like the overall quality of it better. I didn't chase players I love that I know kill me in fantasy like I did with Chris Archer last year. One of my favorite players, racks up strikeouts but I know he isn't good in ERA and WHIP and has a below average offense behind him that leads to a lot of frustrating 8 innings pitched losses.

Whoevers owns Archer can now anticipate a Cy Young.

Haha! I hope you are right!

Good lord..... how do you use 5 hours of clock plus 2 hours of he next clock and only proxy in 1 pick.... and now it's been another hour.

Good lord..... how do you use 5 hours of clock plus 2 hours of he next clock and only proxy in 1 pick.... and now it's been another hour.

Yea, this is a bit much...

I have a feeling many green beers have been involved...

im drunk myself i guess im just a multi tasking drunk :lol:

Trying to replicate the formula that won me the title last year and think I've done all right.

Will miss Mike Trout, but Having Judge (19th round - probably my best draft pick ever ) and Turner (11th) and Benintendi (24th) is a pretty nice start. Maybe, just maybe Moncada (18th) will stop striking out and live up to the hype.

I was very surprised to get the 4th pick and confident Harper in his contract year should put up big numbers. Then I went heavy on the pitching again, specifically targeting high K pitchers (200+)My SP crop can be good but very young/unproven(Severino, Castillo, Nola)/injury prone(Strasburg). Carlos Martinez gives me another near top tier SP.

Obviously, you all know I'm not big on drafting closers, so I targeted two potential 200k relievers in Hader and Edwards after Betances went off the board.

The rest of my draft will be very hit or miss. Definitely reached with a lot of my picks (Ohtani, Bird, DeJong, Devers) but there is a lot of upside potential.

Living just outside of Philly we're all hyping up Kingery so I'm glad I was able to get him especially after missing out on Acuna

Confident in my chances, but things will have to break right

To repeat.

I'm flying back to Boston on a 10:45am ET flight. This will make it difficult to live pick for a while tomorrow.

I will send a proxy to Ghost for my next pick though since I'm only one away. Will do my best with pick 23 if it quickly gets back to me.

Sorry guys! After landing, my limo ride back home got a flat tire. I LOVE being the cause of gridlock in Boston traffic. Luckily, the driver took most of the fingers and swearing. LOL Didn't get back until an hour ago and just finished some dinner. Give me 15-20 mins to catch up and figure out what I'm going to do.

Foul Line is working until 7:30pm. (I think he's in CT.) We are likely on hold until then. I'm just happy he's being responsive to texts again.

Overall, I'm not stressing any longer - we're almost through round 23 and are in good shape. Still like a quicker pace, but not worried about running out of time at this point. (famous last words)

Good pic torn he was definitely in consideration for my last selection but I ended up going with Brandon Belt for the multi position flexibility

Good pic torn he was definitely in consideration for my last selection but I ended up going with Brandon Belt for the multi position flexibility

Not expecting miracles as he's likely to be sharing time with Moreland and Martinez, but I think he can still be more than productive enough to outplay the draft position I just got him at.

Came close to taking H Ramirez too. Good pick

Ziegler plays for miami for a little extra bleh

Ziegler plays for miami for a little extra bleh

Haha - whoops - didnt he $uck for a while there, too?

Haha - whoops - didnt he $uck for a while there, too?

indeed

I am not afraid of taking Marlins. They may end up being the worst team in the league, but I can still expect 8-10 wins from Straily; along with a sub-4.5 ERA. Then again, I take quite a while to draft so what do I know...

:lol:

Nice snag of Eduardo Rodriguez, Ghost. I was going to take him in round 25 and then read a bit too much press on Buehler and talked myself into him instead.

Get the bleep outta here - Strom just took a player over the age of 30? Holy crap... :shocking:

• Like 1

Get the bleep outta here - Strom just took a player over the age of 30? Holy crap... :shocking:

Yes, I needed a veteran presence on the roster