Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Anyone have experience with iPad?

My mom is almost 70 and I bought her a laptop last Christmas but she doesn't really use it. She has had a Kindle Fire and likes the tablet but wants something better/faster. Best Buy has the iPad Pro on sale right now and Staples will 110% price match. Any experience with these? Are they just way overpriced Kindle Fires? Is 64 GB enough memory for just basic 70 yo browsing? They kill you on memory and you can't add a memory card. Is 12.9 inch screen too big? The 10.5 is $150 less.

Thoughts?

I've got the iPad 3 - love it..... I've got 32GB and that's way more than plenty for my general use.. Hell, I've got 16 GBs not even in use still.

Of course I bought my used, got a great deal on it - still looks brand new.

I think the apple computers and phones are overpriced pieces of crap, but there tablets can be price competative. They are slightly more expensive than the Samsung's but are quite a bit faster, they are slightly slower than the surface, but much cheaper and lighter.

I think their tablet is a good product that you should consider.

Have an iPad but I don't use it anymore. If you have an iPhone you essentially have an iPad. But without an iPhone then yea it's worth it. Though I don't use my iPad anymore cause you can't get Microsoft office on it. Ever since I got a surface pro I don't use my iPad for anything. But if you want to browse, download apps, and read then yea it's worth it

Have an iPad but I don't use it anymore. If you have an iPhone you essentially have an iPad. But without an iPhone then yea it's worth it. Though I don't use my iPad anymore cause you can't get Microsoft office on it. Ever since I got a surface pro I don't use my iPad for anything. But if you want to browse, download apps, and read then yea it's worth it

This is so not true.

An iPad will get the full version of sites, and not the iPhone mobile versions. Much better for surfing the web. You can also download Microsoft office (at least on the Pro versions).

I have a 12.9 and would give up my iPhone before I gave up the iPad.

64gb should be plenty for general use.

• Like 2

I don't have a smart phone but have an I Pad air. It's great for everything I use it for, mostly surfing the web and a few apps. It's easier to use than an iPhone IMO, small enough to take traveling but too big to carry at all times - I actually prefer this as I don't want to become a tech zombie like most people are with their phones.

I've had my iPad a few years now and it is starting to lose its charge more quickly. What are the advantages of the newer models?

I don't have a smart phone but have an I Pad air. It's great for everything I use it for, mostly surfing the web and a few apps. It's easier to use than an iPhone IMO, small enough to take traveling but too big to carry at all times - I actually prefer this as I don't want to become a tech zombie like most people are with their phones.

I've had my iPad a few years now and it is starting to lose its charge more quickly. What are the advantages of the newer models?

I have no idea as compared to previous models. It was on Slickdeals and she had mentioned something the other day so I was thinking of buying her one.

Here are the Specs:

10.5" Specs:

• 10.5" 2224x1668 IPS display
  • Apple A10X Fusion processor
  • 64GB/256GB/512GB Internal Storage
  • 12MP Rear w/ 4K Video Recording + 7MP Front Facing Cameras
  • Dual Band AC WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2
  • Fingerprint Sensor
  • iOS 10

12.9" Specs:

• 12.9" 2732x2048 IPS display
  • Apple A10X Fusion processor
  • 64GB/256GB/512GB Internal Storage
  • 12MP Rear w/ 4K Video Recording + 7MP Front Facing Cameras
  • Dual Band AC WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2
  • Fingerprint Sensor
  • iOS 10

I'm more curious now which size to go with.

What are the advantages of the newer models?

Besides coming in new Pro sizes (10.5 and 12.9) the newer models feature faster processors and more internal RAM, which helps when you have multiple apps open, or if you like to have a lot tabs open in Safari, you’ll see a lot less reloads. It also makes them a bit more future proof, IMO.

Spec bumps in cameras, if you care about that... :dunno:

Ability to draw/write with the apple pencil, and a detachable keyboard that doesn’t relay on bluetooth, so there’s no lag. Of course, those things are sold separately, and at Apple’s premium pricing.

For purely home browsing/use I’d suggest the 12.9. The bigger screen makes it so much easier to read. You’ll sacrifice some portability, so if that’s a factor, I’d go with the 10.5.

Besides coming in new Pro sizes (10.5 and 12.9) the newer models feature faster processors and more internal RAM, which helps when you have multiple apps open, or if you like to have a lot tabs open in Safari, you’ll see a lot less reloads. It also makes them a bit more future proof, IMO.

Spec bumps in cameras, if you care about that... :dunno:

Ability to draw/write with the apple pencil, and a detachable keyboard that doesn’t relay on bluetooth, so there’s no lag. Of course, those things are sold separately, and at Apple’s premium pricing.

For purely home browsing/use I’d suggest the 12.9. The bigger screen makes it so much easier to read. You’ll sacrifice some portability, so if that’s a factor, I’d go with the 10.5.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the larger size. How about that $100 pencil, did you buy that and if so, do you use it?

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the larger size. How about that $100 pencil, did you buy that and if so, do you use it?

I use mine all the time, but mostly for work releated stuff. The average person probably doesn’t need one.

It's new

I use mine all the time, but mostly for vaginal releated stuff. The average person probably doesnt need one.

:wub:

This is so not true.

An iPad will get the full version of sites, and not the iPhone mobile versions. Much better for surfing the web. You can also download Microsoft office (at least on the Pro versions).

I have a 12.9 and would give up my iPhone before I gave up the iPad.

64gb should be plenty for general use.

Well granted it's been since 2012 since I used an iPad so I'm sure they made upgrades but back when I used it and then switched to my phone I just never used the iPad anymore. Had no need cause pretty much anything im looking up on the iPad I can look up on my phone. Still true to this day. And if I need to write a paper or do more computer based stuff I use the surface pro since like I said iPad can't get Microsoft office.

Saw a commercial last night that up to 60% of women have the wrong size iPad.

Figgers. Broads kind of suck at technology. :o

If she is just using it for browsing, the pro is overkill. Unless the keyboard is a big deal.

I had an iPad Air. It was a good toy. I ended up never using it because I already had an iPhone 7 Plus that i use for most of my stuff, and then bought a MacBook for more serious computing tasks. The iPad in the middle just became superfluous.

Frankly, If the iPad Pro ran OSX instead of IOS, I would want one to use as my daily computer. But iOS, until recently, had no file system access, and even now is rudimentary.

Saw a commercial last night that up to 60% of women have the wrong size iPad.

Figgers. Broads kind of suck at technology. :o

I tried stuffing a handful of Kleenex into an iPad mini... sadly, it didn’t make it look any bigger. :(