Sign in to follow this  
SUXBNME

Favorite punk band..Do you have one?

I have quite a bit of "favorites" but for whole body of work, I'm trying to decide whether it's Sex Pistols or Dead Kennedys.

Gotta be my top two, right?

I get The Ramones and such, but not in my top ten.

Thoughts?

And please poast vids

I know that MDC will be all over this :thumbsup:

Oh jeez..... Many

Dks

Stooges

Social d

Black flag

Sex pistols

Clash

Misfits

Oh jeez..... Many

Dks

Stooges

Social d

Black flag

Sex pistols

Clash

Misfits

The Misfits Project 1950 is a great listen. Fun stuff

Oh jeez..... Many

Dks

Stooges

Social d

Black flag

Sex pistols

Clash

Misfits

Break it down...Give me a top three. (unpossible, I know)

I'd love to put The Subhumans in my top three just for the song Cradle To The Grave, and I'd also love to put The Vandals in there for Anarchy Burger and I Wanna Be a Cowboy / Urban Struggle but then again, you named a list that all had some longevity.

Oh well. I lose again in thought process :(

anarchy, kill a cat

shoot james brady in the back

raise an army of rabid rats

beat your neighbor with a bat

So, I wasn't a big punk guy and probably am still not. But the GF is so she introduced me to it quite a bit. Her two favorite punk bands are Social D and Bad Religion. We've seen both a good number of times since we got together. So, one day I'm poking around the 'net and I find that the entire Bad Religion band graduated from my high school, a couple years before I did. Keep meaning to ask my older brother if he knew them. Plus, their lead singer is hella smart. He has taught at both Cornell and U.C.L.A. He's not as smart as me but hey, who is right? And their music is pretty damn good, and actually has meaning.

So I'll go with Bad Religion.

70's- I go with Sex Pistols, since its kinda what launched the genre

80's- The Clash carried the torch

90's- Was big into NOFX, MXPX, and Pennywise

now I can't listen to any of them cept the Clash

Also was a big fan of The Hot Snakes, Buck'o'nine(more ska), Rocket from the Crypt, and a couple other San Diego locals, that really nobody would even know

70's- I go with Sex Pistols, since its kinda what launched the genre

80's- The Clash carried the torch

90's- Was big into NOFX, MXPX, and Pennywise

now I can't listen to any of them cept the Clash

Also was a big fan of The Hot Snakes, Buck'o'nine(more ska), Rocket from the Crypt, and a couple other San Diego locals, that really nobody would even know

http://www.ranker.com/list/san-diego-bands-and-musical-artists-from-here/reference

You guys had some talent from there :thumbsup:

that is an awesome list, the numbers are kinda weird, like Tom Waits ahead of STP, of course I don't consider STP a SD band really

Carly Smithson no 10? Who the failed AI singer (my sister made top 24 that season)

Unwritten Law saw them quite a few times at high school parties

There's a pretty good new unknown punk called "The Story So Far" you may like them, here are two really good ones:

They opened for a concert I went to in Orlando a year or two ago and stole the show.

As far as my favorite punk it would be The Offspring, always loved their unique sound.

Dead Kennedys is my favorite punk band. The Stooges, the Clash and Fugazi are among my favorite bands but I don't think any of them were straight up punk.

There's a pretty good new unknown punk called "The Story So Far" you may like them, here are two really good ones:

They opened for a concert I went to in Orlando a year or two ago and stole the show.

As far as my favorite punk it would be The Offspring, always loved their unique sound.

Lol at least the people above listed actual punk bands even if they are kinda commercial representations.

War zone

Negative approach

Judge

Lol at least the people above listed actual punk bands even if they are kinda commercial representations.

War zone

Negative approach

Judge

You don't think TSSF is punk? They roll harder than you.

You don't think TSSF is punk? They roll harder than you.

No, I enjoy pop punk but they are not a punk band. I don't know what roll harder than me means

No, I enjoy pop punk but they are not a punk band. I don't know what roll harder than me means

Listen to some other songs. They are punk.

Listen to some other songs. They are punk.

other songs than what? ok i mean they are a bubble gum pop punk band, if you call that punk fine. And im not even saying I dont like that style of music its just not really punk

Dead Kennedys is my favorite punk band. The Stooges, the Clash and Fugazi are among my favorite bands but I don't think any of them were straight up punk.

+1

I'm also a big fan of some late 80's early 90's sXe punk. Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat, Youth of Today, 7 Seconds, etc.

Wasn't big into the punk scene... Wife was though. Did love ST's first album kinda punky. Also love the cro mags first album but that's more hard core cross over

The Plimsouls.

Love that band. Bought the sound track to "Valley Girl" so I could listen to them back in the day.

Break it down...Give me a top three. (unpossible, I know)

I'd love to put The Subhumans in my top three just for the song Cradle To The Grave, and I'd also love to put The Vandals in there for Anarchy Burger and I Wanna Be a Cowboy / Urban Struggle but then again, you named a list that all had some longevity.

Oh well. I lose again in thought process :(

anarchy, kill a cat

shoot james brady in the back

raise an army of rabid rats

beat your neighbor with a bat

this is tough. the clash and dks have a very different sound than sex pistols and stooges. also, my preferences have changed over time. plus i didn't include the celtic punk (pogues, dropkick murphys, flogging molly, etc.)

these days probably clash, social d, and a lot of celtic punk

+1

I'm also a big fan of some late 80's early 90's sXe punk. Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat, Youth of Today, 7 Seconds, etc.

Yes to Minor Threat. I like that whole era of hardcore: Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Negative Approach, Cro Mags. A little later, I live Bad Religion, Operation Ivy and the Descendents. Also love many of the post punk / sort of punk bands of the late 80s and early 90s: Fugazi, Unwound, Drive Like Jehu, Jesus Lizard etc. And the early art punks like Gang of Four and Wire.

They dont make em like they used to. :(

• Like 1

Yes to Minor Threat. I like that whole era of hardcore: Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Negative Approach, Cro Mags. A little later, I live Bad Religion, Operation Ivy and the Descendents. Also love many of the post punk / sort of punk bands of the late 80s and early 90s: Fugazi, Unwound, Drive Like Jehu, Jesus Lizard etc. And the early art punks like Gang of Four and Wire.

They dont make em like they used to. :(

Was hoping to fit a Jesus Lizard and Drive Like Jehu tune onto my 90s squad, but with people drafting Poison and Meatloaf, I didnt have room for everything. I posted a few of their tunes after the draft though.

As you can see from the 60s draft, there arent too many Stooges/Iggy Pop fans either

Was hoping to fit a Jesus Lizard and Drive Like Jehu tune onto my 90s squad, but with people drafting Poison and Meatloaf, I didnt have room for everything.

As you can see from the 60s draft, there arent too many Stooges/Iggy Pop fans either.

You know I am a huge fan but you picked the only song I would have wanted off that album many rounds sooner than I would have pulled the trigger. ;)

You know I am a huge fan but you picked the only song I would have wanted off that album many rounds sooner than I would have pulled the trigger. ;)

Maybe so. Its hard picking when you wont have a pick for another 40. Figured it was a top 50 song at worst. I still see songs that Id consider top 10-20 on the bored, and were 100 picks in. I had Hey Jude #1 overall and Ring of Fire somewhere around the top 5. Shrug.

Maybe so. Its hard picking when you wont have a pick for another 40. Figured it was a top 50 song at worst. I still see songs that Id consider top 10-20 on the bored, and were 100 picks in. I had Hey Jude #1 overall and Ring of Fire somewhere around the top 5. Shrug.

Im not judging. Its hard to juggle songs you like versus iconic mic songs of the decade.

Weird Al is the only one worth a damn.

He's also the only rap artist worth a damn.

If any of you guys r interested in something new this was a local band that was real important to me as a teen

Weird Al is the only one worth a damn.

He's also the only rap artist worth a damn.

You be very shallow, sir.

If you think about it, Arlo Guthrie was a rapper. Remember that 18 minute song you liked?

:P

If any of you guys r interested in something new this was a local band that was real important to me as a teen

I'm listenting to it right now...

Totally sounds like a combination of The Offspring and Rise Against with a bit more edge then both.

In other werds, me likey so far :thumbsup:

You be very shallow, sir.

If you think about it, Arlo Guthrie was a rapper. Remember that 18 minute song you liked?

:P

I can handle littering stories, it's not really the same as glorifying cop killing.

I have to say, the part where he pals up with the rapists on the Group W bench is something future artists really extrapolate on in graphic detail. They also do in in a way that hurts my ears and causes headaches.

Then there's punk. "Am I mishearing this? With all this clamoring noise it's hard to be sure but it really does sound like this guy is saying that he wants to be a dog. That can't be right, it must be something else."

Want to recommend the album Time & Space by Turnstile. Really goes back to 80s hardcore and the best newer punk band Ive heard in a while. The whole album focking rips:

I never considered The Clash punk, growing up. I thought of the DK's, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, etc. as punk.

Looking back and considering what I still listen to, I'd have to tip my hat to The Clash and The Ramones.

I'd even throw in some of the early stuff from the Dropkicks.