Sign in to follow this  
crackills

Waiver strategy in yahoo leagues?

we play regular rolling waiver Sun-Wed. I dont seem to understand how waivers work and always seem to be picking close to last.

1. i usually identify 2-3 players that i want..

2. then i create the waiver claim for 3 players i want to drop

3. on Wed i land the 3best player that i wanted

4. My waivers for next week i am still very late in the order. How does this happen? If i am one of the last to claim, shouldnt my order be towards the front of the claim list next week?

is there any difference to me for example using the same drop player for multiple waivers?

1. so lets say i want 3 players but highly doubt i get the top 2, so i create a waiver claim with the same drop player (lets say kicker) understanding that if i get a claim to go through on one of my top 2 claims, i will auto miss on the 3rd.

Is this strategy better then selecting 3 different players to drop? (aside from obviously needing to drop 3 different players)

Scenario - you want Gurley, Kamara, Zeke in that order and wanna drop Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, and Case Keenum in that order. You'd want it aligned this way.

Add Gurley, drop Smith.

Add Kamara, drop Smith.

Add Kamara, drop Dalton.

Add Zeke, drop Smith.

Add Zeke, drop Dalton.

Add Zeke, Keenum.

You have a chance at all 3 & in the order you prefer. If you hit Gurley, you go to the back of the waiver priority order but still have claims for Kamara and Zeke.

If you miss all 3, you will have moved up in waiver priority order as none of your claims landed.

If your priority is 1, you have highest claim. If your priority is 8, seven teams have a higher claim than you. It's importantnot to waste claims on backups, defenses, and kickers if possible. Just add them as free agents once they clear waivers early Wednesday morning.

Good enough explanation?

thats a good explanation, thanks.. i like that strategy.

the issue is that i never get my top claim and always somehow end up with a late waiver order.. ill need to dig in to this

Hypothetical Waiver Priority List:

1. Team A

2. Team B

3. Team C

4. Team D

5. Team E

6. You

7. Team F

8. Team G

Team A claims a player, B doesn't, C does, D does, E doesn't, you do, F and G also claim someone. New order would be:

1. Team B

2. Team E

3. Team A

4. Team C

5. Team D

6. You

7. Team F

8. Team G

Not sure if that helps you, hope it does.

thats a good explanation, thanks.. i like that strategy.

the issue is that i never get my top claim and always somehow end up with a late waiver order.. ill need to dig in to this

In most yahoo leagues, the waiver priority doesn't reset once the Draft happens. In espn leagues & some custom leagues, the waiver priority order resets weekly based on standings. The worst team gets the #1 claim weekly with the top team having the last claim.