Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Cowboys talk

I would fire garrett after the season even if we beat Philly and get bounced in the 1st round. That play calling late in the game against GB was inexcusable and they did it again against WASH... they got very lucky they pulled that off. Did you hear Aikman and Moose calling the last 2 games. They could believe what they were seeing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea it has been really bad. But this is not new - Red Garrett has made blunder after blunder during his tendure. He has to be the absolute worst time management coach in the league.

Well another year, another mediocre 8-8 finish, another week 17 season ending choke. Yea we had some injuries, but I don't want to hear it - so did every other team in the league. Hell GB lost their superstar qb for 7 weeks and still made the playoffs. The guy who just took the division from you started the season as Philly's back up qb. We finished middle of the pack bcoz that is what we are - a half ass, half decent, half disciplined, half talented team. Not helping matters is that we have clowns in the booth calling the shots and plays. Red Garrett - 4th and 1 , pro bowl left tackle, power back, you call a naked bootleg with your back up, slow ass qb??????

Props to the team though - you did play hard, you did have some bright spots, and there are a couple of places where you can build from. Unfortunately the ship is headed for a enormous salary cap iceberg and the captain of the vessel is a bumbling idiot who thinks he's on the brink of something spectacular. Luckily we still play in the East and luckily the division as a whole is still pretty weak.

I was actually very impressed with the way Dallas played yesterday, particularly their defense and OL. Even while blitzing constantly the Eagles got no pressure on Orton, who got the ball out quick and played as well as could be expected before that final drive. The playcalling probably should've been more balanced - 17 runs vs 46 passes in a tight game wasn't so great. Obviously turnovers just killed them.

:dunno:

Cowboys record last 16 season: 135-135. They are what they are, the most talked about mediocre team of the last 15 years.

I was actually very impressed with the way Dallas played yesterday, particularly their defense and OL. Even while blitzing constantly the Eagles got no pressure on Orton, who got the ball out quick and played as well as could be expected before that final drive. The playcalling probably should've been more balanced - 17 runs vs 46 passes in a tight game wasn't so great. Obviously turnovers just killed them.

:dunno:

I was actually surprised myself at how well they played. Orton looked really good and the defense gave all they had with what they had. I think we are something like 11-1 when Murray runs it more than 20 times - no idea why Red lets Callahan get away from it....... Philly has some really good corners - those kids can play.

I was actually surprised myself at how well they played. Orton looked really good and the defense gave all they had with what they had. I think we are something like 11-1 when Murray runs it more than 20 times - no idea why Red lets Callahan get away from it....... Philly has some really good corners - those kids can play.

During the game the Cowboys didn't seem pass happy to me but when I looked at the box score afterward I was pretty shocked at the 46-18 split.

Boykin is a gamer and Cary Williams is big and chippy. He gives big physical receivers fits and I thought he did an excellent job on Dez.

Eagles' safeties are awful and they have no pass rush at all.

Raider fan here, but have been in the Metroplex for years now and can't help but comment on the local misery index... lol.

Jones is getting absolutely skewered in the morning radio shows, and he must be very thick skinned or oblivious to it all. This team has huge talent problems, but did play with heart last night. For the life of me, I cannot fathom why a team with so many weaknesses would not try and exhibit the one strength it had, which is running the football. At 26 DeMarco Murray is nearing the end of the average NFL shelf life for RB's, but had an outstanding season. He missed only two games (remarkable for his track record) en route to a 217/1124/9 line for the season, which included a sick 5.17 ypc average. The offensive line graded out average at best, especially at RT where Free probably regressed after a good start, and was more bend than break in the passing game. But across the board it excelled in the running game. Why not utilize this strength? This falls directly on the coach, unless Jones has more input in the everyday coaching responsibilities than he lets on. I suspect such, and it would be a great question for some enterprising reporter to ask at any number of Jones' weekly pressers. I see the problem with this team not with Jones the owner, or Jones the GM, but rather Jones the COACH. His meddling at even the lowest levels of field operations is crippling this team. This is why I wouldn't be particularly bullish on running Garrett, IF I was a Cowboy fan lol...

Looking forward I would draft bold, go after an offensive tackle in Round One and build on strength. At #19 overall maybe you'd find a Cameron Erving of Florida State or Taylor Lewan of Michigan to bookend with Smith. With Frederick at center, that line would be a strength. Obviously with the hemorrhaging on defense that is not practical, and probably the needs there rank DE, OLB, DT, & FS, though with Hatcher probably leaving you could flip the first two. In any case, a defense where a defensive tackle leads the team in sacks has definite problems. Ware has become a liability in run defense, and was outplayed at time by Selvie, who eventually may make a fine DE2 or rotational guy. At LB Lee is a stud, but injury prone. Carter was a Dalmatian chasing a fire truck in pass coverage, giving up a passer rating of an astounding 109 against him in coverage. Wilbur is a career backup. On the back end Church was a hero, with 140+ tackles, but they need a free safety desperately. At CB Scandrick is probably the team's best player, but as a group they got toasted regularly. I'd give a pass here, for now (and the school is still out on the Claiborne pick), but only because the secondary was under such duress due to the anemic pass rush.

I'd hire services to Jones and run his 2014 draft for season seats next year (daughter is a fan of the team lol...) and take any of the following players at #19 if still available (obviously top need Clowney of South Carolina will be long gone):

DT Louis Nix Notre Dame

FS Ha Ha Clinton Dix of ALA

OLB Kahlil Mack Buffalo

OLB CJ Mosely ALA

Realistically, drafting need first, maybe you're looking at DE Stephon Tuitt of Notre Dame at 1, who is a 6-6 300 lb monster but may be over sized for an end. Maybe a Trent Murphy of Stanford. At 2 I'd look for maybe OLB Kyle Van Noy of BYU, a safe pick for their coverage needs who runs 6-3 245 and runs a 4.6 40. Then at 3 you may pull the trigger on a FS like Calvin Pryor of Louisville or Dion Beasley of USC if he's there.

One thing the NFL has taught this year is that the league is a young man's game. Teams in salary cap hell are in less dire straits, as more often the older vets are going to break down anyhow. Drafting wisely is the key more than ever to NFL success. It IS possible to turn fortune with an effective NFL draft. In 1981 the San Francisco 49ers drafted Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson 1-2-3 in their draft. They brought in Ray Rhodes and George Siefert to coach them up, and saw a defense go from 27th overall to 2nd, and Frisco went from 6-10 punching bags to 13-3 champs.

But Jerry Jones is a far cry from the DeBartolos and Bill Walsh lol...

And the Dallas Clowns strike again....... With the SB only days away, the head clown here decided to make his own noise at Jerry World. Already sporting the league's most disfunctional organizational chart, Jerry Jones decided to step the bufoonery up another notch.

Monte Kiffin: Not demoted, rather reassigned to Assistant Head Coach to Red Garrett.

Rod Marinelli: Named Defensive Coordinator.

Scott Linehan: Named Passing Game Coordinator, will also be in charge of calling the plays.

Bill Callahan: Remains Offensive Coordinator.

* The Cowboys best offensive strenght in 2013 was running the football. They bring in a play caller who actually likes to throw the ball more than Jason Garrett. :doh:

* Callahan was offensive coordinator but it was Red Garrett's playbook. He will now be offensive coordinator of Red Garrett's offensive but Linhan will call the plays and be in charge of the passing game. :huh:

* As if cutting Callahan's balls off wasn't enough, Jerry has refused to let other teams speak to Bill about coaching opportunities. :nono:

You can't make this kind of shiat up, Larry David would be hard pressed to create something this off the wall and hysterical. Gawd I miss Tex Schramm. :(

Yeah, I'm going to agree that this is a strange call. My prediction was that Kiff was going to move to a consulting position with no direct coaching responsibilities, Marinelli to DC, and Callahan stays on as the playcaller. While the offense had issues and was fairly lackluster overall, the RZ improvement was very significant. The importance of that cannot be understated--DAL went from terrible in that department to one of the better teams in the league.

But ultimately, there needed to be a change. Previously, DAL put up a ton of yards but had no run threat and did poorly in the RZ. Last season, the playcalling was downright mystifying at times, the passing game flashed greatness but was not consistent, and yet the run game, RZ, and especially the O-line play took huge strides. Ultimately though, the offense was still fragmented.

But I don't know that Linehan is the guy to put the strengths together, unless DAL is finally planning to stop this "balance" talk and leverage the passing game. After last season, I would have welcomed this move. But with the improvements to the Oline and run game, I'm not so convinced that DAL should switch to a true passing offense (rather than simply a pass-heavy interpretation of a conventional offense).

Good points Song, changes needed to be made. But in the end with a new coordinator named, a new title here, new face over there - it's all basically just rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Tittanic.

And the Dallas Clowns strike again....... With the SB only days away, the head clown here decided to make his own noise at Jerry World. Already sporting the league's most disfunctional organizational chart, Jerry Jones decided to step the bufoonery up another notch.

Monte Kiffin: Not demoted, rather reassigned to Assistant Head Coach to Red Garrett.

Rod Marinelli: Named Defensive Coordinator.

Scott Linehan: Named Passing Game Coordinator, will also be in charge of calling the plays.

Bill Callahan: Remains Offensive Coordinator.

* The Cowboys best offensive strenght in 2013 was running the football. They bring in a play caller who actually likes to throw the ball more than Jason Garrett. :doh:

* Callahan was offensive coordinator but it was Red Garrett's playbook. He will now be offensive coordinator of Red Garrett's offensive but Linhan will call the plays and be in charge of the passing game. :huh:

* As if cutting Callahan's balls off wasn't enough, Jerry has refused to let other teams speak to Bill about coaching opportunities. :nono:

You can't make this kind of shiat up, Larry David would be hard pressed to create something this off the wall and hysterical. Gawd I miss Tex Schramm. :(

Jerry doesn't care about winning. Jerry cares about being in the headlines and putting butts in seats. Until he dies, or until all you Cowboys fans stop buying their stuff and stop filling that cavern of a stadium, he won't change.

Scratch that, based on what I saw at the game vs the Steelers a season ago, more than half the fans in that place are for the Cowboys opponent. So it will remain status quo until Jerry dies or is killed by botox poisoning.

Scratch that, based on what I saw at the game vs the Steelers a season ago, more than half the fans in that place are for the Cowboys opponent.

Wow I didn't realize that many Steeler bandwagon fans are in the state of Texas.

Jerry doesn't care about winning. Jerry cares about being in the headlines and putting butts in seats.

interestingly, stephen jones strongly implied in an interview this week that the coaching reshuffle was entirely garrett's call.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Eatman-Authority-For-HC-Should-Not-Be-New-Concept-/dd562747-d8e9-4635-9679-0226cb894ea5

interestingly, stephen jones strongly implied in an interview this week that the coaching reshuffle was entirely garrett's call.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Eatman-Authority-For-HC-Should-Not-Be-New-Concept-/dd562747-d8e9-4635-9679-0226cb894ea5

This is the last year of Red's contract. He knows this is it, sink or swim. It's pretty shiatty for Jerry to just now give him free range on his staff.

I know I've called him out in the past, but I'd really like to see Garrett get a chance with a real organization, no matter their record. I think taken out from The Clown's meddling he can actually be a decent head coach. I would take him in Oakland.

I know I've called him out in the past, but I'd really like to see Garrett get a chance with a real organization, no matter their record. I think taken out from The Clown's meddling he can actually be a decent head coach. I would take him in Oakland.

Love Red Garrett the man - but I am not sure he'll ever be a successful HC no matter who is his boss. For starters, as a Princeton educated man, Garrett is one of the worst time management guys I've ever seen. He has blown game after game after game here focking up the clock - and wins down here are hard to come by as it is. Secondly, and prolly most important, Red will never view running the football as a priority. What's amazing is that he won 2 SBs watching one of the most dominant running games, and rb, the sport has ever seen - you'd think he'd have a clue. 3rd and 1 is a shotgun passing down under Red.

Love Red Garrett the man - but I am not sure he'll ever be a successful HC no matter who is his boss. For starters, as a Princeton educated man, Garrett is one of the worst time management guys I've ever seen. He has blown game after game after game here focking up the clock - and wins down here are hard to come by as it is. Secondly, and prolly most important, Red will never view running the football as a priority. What's amazing is that he won 2 SBs watching one of the most dominant running games, and rb, the sport has ever seen - you'd think he'd have a clue. 3rd and 1 is a shotgun passing down under Red.

You'll get no argument from me, but as a Cowboy fan you know what sort of a mindf*ck he goes through working for Jones. He's smart, organized, level headed.... All that other stuff he can learn.

This is the last year of Red's contract. He knows this is it, sink or swim. It's pretty shiatty for Jerry to just now give him free range on his staff.

Was listening to the local radio host who surmises this is because Jerry is giving Garrett just enough rope to hang himself. That way if the Cowboys underachieve again he gets a built in excuse to cut ties with Garrett and say "See, our offense was pretty good when Callaghan was there and our Defense was clearly improving under Kiffin. Jason Garrett chose to make changes that were not successful. See, I know better than the Coach".

interesting theory if nothing else.

Looks like Miles Austin's days are officially numbered. Finally somebody over at Valley Ranch has figured out his ass has to go. What a cluster fock of a contract he got - just one of many in Jerry's miserable resume of bad deals. Even once Miles is gone this deal will haunt us for a year or two.

Hello Nate Burleson, good bye Miles

Great - another 33 year old FA signing. This is exactly the kind of crap that has us in the mess we're in now....... We have plenty of wr's on roster to handle the job. We don't need Nate Burleson.

Josh Gordon is an awesome talent, but he's another 'bell & whistle' - and this team needs 'nuts & bolts'.

Jerry Jones runs the Cowboys exactly like the dumbest fan of every team would if you lifted him off the barstool and made him CEO. I don't doubt that he wants to win but he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, and he's infatuated with players who are "all sizzle, no steak." As an Eagles fan I hope he lives to 150 and wills the team to a dim-witted relative.

Great - another 33 year old FA signing. This is exactly the kind of crap that has us in the mess we're in now....... We have plenty of wr's on roster to handle the job. We don't need Nate Burleson.

actually, they're pretty shallow. dez, williams, and cole sounds great on paper and can be very productive, but there is little depth if any of them go down. harris can play, but he's not an outside starter. if dez goes down, you're left without a guy who can beat doubles, which means the double shifts to witten. this cuts into your short passing game, which cuts into your run game. and there would be almost no starting experience at the position.

i mean, the budget is going to dictate how the position group is handled, but a journeyman would help stabilize the depth.

he'd have to come really cheap though.

actually, they're pretty shallow. dez, williams, and cole sounds great on paper and can be very productive, but there is little depth if any of them go down. harris can play, but he's not an outside starter. if dez goes down, you're left without a guy who can beat doubles, which means the double shifts to witten. this cuts into your short passing game, which cuts into your run game. and there would be almost no starting experience at the position.

i mean, the budget is going to dictate how the position group is handled, but a journeyman would help stabilize the depth.

he'd have to come really cheap though.

You can pick and chose any number of areas we aren't "deep" at - wr just happens to maybe be one of them. It also happens to be further down on the list........ Goes back to part of the original problem. Too many Kool-Aid drinkers thinking of playing this game from the outside in. Hasn't worked in 18 years - isn't going to work for the next 18 either.

The Cowboys had a lot of injuries last year. Did any of the 2nd 3rd or 4th stringers fill in admirably enough provide depth for next year? Or even start?

I'd like to throw some names out there but I just can't remember them. Looking for a silver lining here.

The Cowboys had a lot of injuries last year. Did any of the 2nd 3rd or 4th stringers fill in admirably enough provide depth for next year? Or even start?

I'd like to throw some names out there but I just can't remember them. Looking for a silver lining here.

offense was relatively injury-free.

on defense, selvie was a real FA find. holleman looks like a good draft find at LB--he may push for a starting position in camp. wilber looks pretty comfortable at SAM, and actually did some good work (coverage needs to be cleaned up though). crawford will be back from his achilles, and with selvie's emergence he may get moved inside (which he can play in this system). watkins never really made it back from his injury, and johnson still hasn't seen a regular-season game--both have a lot of upside.

DT looks really, really thin amy way you slice it. there's basically no one in the position group other than camp bodies. that's why talk about drafting a S in the 1st doesn't make much sense. i'd like to see a rangy centerfielder, but he can't make up for a lack of inside pass rush. OTOH, a good inside rush can make a mediocre safety look great.

Jerry Jones and his mastery of personnel has a combined total of 2 players (currently on the roster) from the 2008, 2009, and 2010 drafts. 2!!! Players who should be in their middle 20 primes we have a total of 2 on the team. 2 from the 24 Jerry selected in those drafts. What a freaking disaster - look no further than this to see why we have no depth.

The Cowboys are in cap hell.

I heard that if D Ware will not restructure his contract to take a huge pay cut they will have to let him go. He counts something like $16 million now, and would still count $9 million if cut.

Time for Jerry to bite the bullet for a few years and dump some of his terrible contracts.

The Cowboys are in cap hell.

I heard that if D Ware will not restructure his contract to take a huge pay cut they will have to let him go. He counts something like $16 million now, and would still count $9 million if cut.

Time for Jerry to bite the bullet for a few years and dump some of his terrible contracts.

I'm pretty sure I read that they're $24 million over right now. What will really kill them is Romo's injury coupled with his age and massive cap hit.

I'm pretty sure I read that they're $24 million over right now. What will really kill them is Romo's injury coupled with his age and massive cap hit.

IIRC, it's $24M at the 2013 cap. 2014 was thought to increase by $3M, but owners are talking about bumping it up to $130M, which would more than double the increase (something like $7M). austin as a june 1 cut is $5.5M saved, and cutting backups parnell, costa, and durant is another $4+M.

so that's $10M saved cutting 4 guys who haven't contributed much.

on a continuing note, spagnola pointed out yesterday that DAL can restructure ware and romo right now, and drop $18M off their 2014 cap. this isn't a solve, because the money would be pushed forward, but it does illustrate that DAL has cap flexibility.

IIRC, it's $24M at the 2013 cap. 2014 was thought to increase by $3M, but owners are talking about bumping it up to $130M, which would more than double the increase (something like $7M). austin as a june 1 cut is $5.5M saved, and cutting backups parnell, costa, and durant is another $4+M.

so that's $10M saved cutting 4 guys who haven't contributed much.

Cutting Austin is great, but it isn't all peaches and roses - there is still a dark side to it. Cutting him post June 1st does free up $5.5m this season. However, there would be a $5m cap hit carryover into the 2015 season. And what's the popular phrase we so often hear out of Valley Ranch? DEAD MONEY. And there's more. In addition to this hit, the move would also count as one of the teams' two amnesty type moves - which means the Boys would be handcuffed to persue a few FA deals they might otherwise want to make.

In addition to this hit, the move would also count as one of the teams' two amnesty type moves - which means the Boys would be handcuffed to persue a few FA deals they might otherwise want to make.

free agency? the handcuff there isn't roster moves--it's the cap itself.

regardless of the move itself, if they don't cut austin, they don't have money to sign anyone anyway. frankly, i think they should hang onto him for another year and get the most out of the sunk cost, but the pain has to come down at some point.

regardless of the move itself, if they don't cut austin, they don't have money to sign anyone anyway.

Agreed. And who's fault is that? It would be the guy in charge of the "new direction". If/when this team is ever really good again - the Romos, Wares, Wittens, Carrs, Murrays, and Frees of the world won't be here. Certainly Austin won't be here. I say cut him now and get it over with. The last thing we need is that clown taking snaps and play time away from Williams and any other up and coming wrs. Yea there will be a huge as cap hit in 2015 - but we aren't going to be worth a shiat then either.... We had the league's 7th youngest average roster age in 2013. Good - let's keep moving in that direction.

Draft young players - play/develope young players - cut bait with old veterans - stop signing 30 year old FA's - take the hickey on bad contracts now - rebuild for the future.