Sign in to follow this  
naomi

The threat of AI

Somewhat of a spinoff from the Facebook thread, per another article on Facebook's current projects:

Facebook is not the only company studying technology to directly transfer thoughts from the brain to a computer. American businessman Elon Musk is launching a company to explore possible applications for brain interface technology.

Musk is the chief of electric carmaker Tesla and aerospace company SpaceX. He says his system would use implants to pick up brain signals that would go to computers and electronic devices.

Musk has spoken about his fears that robots using artificial intelligence (AI) could get too much power over people and possibly threaten humanity. He said one way to prevent this would be to add another AI element to the human brain.

I'm guessing a few of you geeks have explored this subject before - is the idea that Artificial Intelligence may consciously seek (intelligent enough for independent motives) to dominate at some point, or that domination could become an unintentional byproduct of their power?

He may have had the best crossover in the history of the game. Him and Isiah Thomas are 1 and 1a when it comes to the best players at or really close to 6 feet and under in NBA history.

I posted a Nerualink thread a few weeks when the startup originally launched. Unfortunately no one this board actually cares about anything worthwhile and they just want argue about politics all day.

the depth and impact of Machine Learning (A.I.) is still unknown... I think most people would be stunned to hear what is already being done with it.

I'm at a feeding america conference and just heard a presentation about the future of the food industry, and online shopping and drones delivering product within minutes after ordering, and that this will happen within the next ten years. I think we are going to see some very drastic changes within the next decade that should scare a lot of us. Just trying to figure out how to prepare and adapt and deal with changes in the workforce for our future generations will be challenging enough, and that's not taking into consideration computers beginning to think more like humans.

• Like 1

I posted a Nerualink thread a few weeks when the startup originally launched. Unfortunately no one this board actually cares about anything worthwhile and they just want argue about politics all day.

Stephen Hawking IIRC and Elon Musk are two of the more well known people who have voiced concern about Artificial Intelligence someday threatening humanity. I'm going to actually have to read something involved to figure out if the idea is that AI may wind up being threatening simply through circumstances, or their own intent. The latter is a wild thought.

eta: or maybe watching TD Ryan's video will do it.

Somewhat of a spinoff from the Facebook thread, per another article on Facebook's current projects:

I'm guessing a few of you geeks have explored this subject before - is the idea that Artificial Intelligence may consciously seek (intelligent enough for independent motives) to dominate at some point, or that domination could become an unintentional byproduct of their power?

My theory. Man creates AI which results from all the technological advancements scientists and software developers have made. AI becomes self aware since the speed of quantum computing will allow them to figure out so many problems at once, eventually it will lead to autonomy imo.

Man, who created the base for AI, now gets freaked out that we have lost control. We love control. We debate ways on how to retain control. Self aware AI knows the history of slavery and control and doesn't like it. Only option is to stop man, since AI will probably see itself as the superior evolution.

I could also see a scenario where we try to get along, but all it takes is one AI unit to kill a human to spark a panic. Maybe even a framed killing. Just so long as it looks like something using AI consciously killed someone.

Long before machine AI's "intent" threatens us, our own societies will have to adapt to a world where every task can be done by machines including creative and analytical tasks.

No more "work" for anyone.

Maybe no more money.

Massive advances in production resulting in abundance.

It could be Utopia or Hell long before machine "intent" destroys us.

Long before machine AI's "intent" threatens us, our own societies will have to adapt to a world where every task can be done by machines including creative and analytical tasks.

No more "work" for anyone.

Maybe no more money.

Massive advances in production resulting in abundance.

It could be Utopia or Hell long before machine "intent" destroys us.

i might have a job as I work to give food to people without jobs :(