Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

MLB 2018

Greg Bird has to be in the top 10 of overrated players right?

Overrated by whom? All I hear is that he has great potential if he can stay healthy. I stand by that, as he has a good eye, a smooth swing perfect for Yankee stadium and makes good contact. He just can never get on the field consistently.

No. When he plays he's great. He just doesn't play much

Overrated by whom? All I hear is that he has great potential if he can stay healthy. I stand by that, as he has a good eye, a smooth swing perfect for Yankee stadium and makes good contact. He just can never get on the field consistently.

A career .227 hitter with 95 strikeouts in 94 games since 2015? and set to miss another nice chunk to start this year? one of the most important abilities for an athlete is reliability.

yeah, he's only 25. Could get his health in order and start making better contact at the major league level but the way I hear him talked about on NY/NJ sports radio, you'd think he was elite. Not seeing it.

A career .227 hitter with 95 strikeouts in 94 games since 2015? and set to miss another nice chunk to start this year? one of the most important abilities for an athlete is reliability.

yeah, he's only 25. Could get his health in order and start making better contact at the major league level but the way I hear him talked about on NY/NJ sports radio, you'd think he was elite. Not seeing it.

You think his strikeout rate is high? Have you been watching baseball the last few years?

You think his strikeout rate is high? Have you been watching baseball the last few years?

yes, his strikeout rate is high. smallish sample size because he can't stay healthy, but still high. If you'd be on pace for >150 striekouts in a season, thats a high rate. Maybe not Joey Gallo territory but pretty high.

and the dude plays 1B which is pretty much the deepest position in major league baseball.

yes, his strikeout rate is high. smallish sample size because he can't stay healthy, but still high. If you'd be on pace for >150 striekouts in a season, thats a high rate. Maybe not Joey Gallo territory but pretty high.

and the dude plays 1B which is pretty much the deepest position in major league baseball.

So what shouid the Yankees do? Get rid of him? He makes no money and has loads

Of potential. Im willing to wait. Slam Central Station will just have to wait.

So what shouid the Yankees do? Get rid of him? He makes no money and has loads

Of potential. Im willing to wait. Slam Central Station will just have to wait.

I never even hinted that they should get rid of him :wacko:

All I said was he feels like on of the most overrated players in baseball and I backed it up with my reasons of fragility and anemic stats when on the field at the major league level.

of course you don't get rid of him

I never even hinted that they should get rid of him :wacko:

All I said was he feels like on of the most overrated players in baseball and I backed it up with my reasons of fragility and anemic stats when on the field at the major league level.

of course you don't get rid of him

If you're pro rating his K's you should also prorate his Dingers. 30+, right?

If you're pro rating his K's you should also prorate his Dingers. 30+, right?

sure. Is that rare in today's MLB?

I am a yankee hater (grew up a yankee fan) so take this with a grain of salt if you want but with the juiced ball, home runs are probably the most overrated stat in MLB today. I'm a big Stanton fan and I think the Yankees are probably the 3rd best team in the AL, (Houston, Cleveland, New York) but I just think some yankee fans may be getting too hyped up over the prospect of 110+ HR's between Stanton and Judge. Thats cool and all but the key is most likely going to be Severino repeating last year, CC holding up, etc...

sure. Is that rare in today's MLB?

It wasn't last year.

I am a yankee hater (grew up a yankee fan)

This needs some explanation

obviously just an excuse to use the word Dilly.

Dilly.

Answer my question above.

(How did you grow up a yankee fan but now the biggest yankee hater ((bedsides me)) ?? )

Answer my question above.

(How did you grow up a yankee fan but now the biggest yankee hater ((bedsides me)) ?? )

i don't know if im the biggest yankee hater any more but here goes.

I started getting really into baseball when the yankees had Tino (my favorite player), Oneill, Wetteland, Rivera, David Cone, young Jeter, Brosius.... I know they were not all home grown talent but those teams just seemed to be made up of a lot of scrappy guys. When the team started to trend toward buying every top free agent, and each offseason you already knew where the top free agents would end up, I was sick of it. Giambi, Randy Johnson, Mussina, Clemens... I know there are many more i'm forgetting. When I had debates with friends who were Yankee fans, I always said I don't blame Steinbrenner for spending the money because there are teams out there who had the money to spend but would rather do just enough to fill seats and make money than go after titles.... but I wished baseball had a true salary cap and I was tired of the insane spending to fill holes, with little regard to having a farm system.

So I decided to adopt a team that did things the right way under the constraints of a small market and the Rays made sense, being an AL East team. Plus I liked a number of their players and always liked Joe Maddon.

The current Yankees are much more of what I wished they had been. More reliant on a farm system, more home grown.... but its not like i'm going back now.... and it's not like they still don't spend quite a bit.

By the 2001? WS I was jumping up and down when Luis gonzalez hit that game winner and I was pissing the hell out of my girlfriend at the time in 2003 when the Marlins beat them

I am not saying this out loud and if you quote me I will deny it. To the death

As a life long yankee hater I didn't hate them last year and probably won't this year.

That said I will never root for them to win the WS - In fact I did and will root hard AGAINST them winning again. This year included.

Even though a Met Killer I like Stanton.

In fact I did and will root hard AGAINST them winning again.

against the phillies?

against the phillies?

Good question- these current Philthys are not a real threat/hatred but would not root for either and rather Philthys win then the Spankmees.

1st time since 1968 - all teams will play on Opening Day 2moro.

As it should be. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1st time since 1968 - all teams will play on Opening Day 2moro.

As it should be. :thumbsup:

Yup...

Good question- these current Philthys are not a real threat/hatred but would not root for either and rather Philthys win then the Spankmees.

I was more asking if the time you cheered for the Yankees in the past was the year they played philly in the WS.

Your post made it sound like you one time cheered for that yanks to win.

Your post made it sound like you one time cheered for that yanks to win.

I can see that. I was saying I did and will root hard against them.

I can see that. I was saying I did and will root hard against them.

That WS as tough for me like the two times the Pats and Eagles played in the SB. I hate the Yankees and I hate the Patriots but I also hate philly sports fans from being around them so much during school and ibhave tons of philly fan friends.

i don't know if im the biggest yankee hater any more but here goes.

I started getting really into baseball when the yankees had Tino (my favorite player), Oneill, Wetteland, Rivera, David Cone, young Jeter, Brosius.... I know they were not all home grown talent but those teams just seemed to be made up of a lot of scrappy guys. When the team started to trend toward buying every top free agent, and each offseason you already knew where the top free agents would end up, I was sick of it. Giambi, Randy Johnson, Mussina, Clemens... I know there are many more i'm forgetting. When I had debates with friends who were Yankee fans, I always said I don't blame Steinbrenner for spending the money because there are teams out there who had the money to spend but would rather do just enough to fill seats and make money than go after titles.... but I wished baseball had a true salary cap and I was tired of the insane spending to fill holes, with little regard to having a farm system.

So I decided to adopt a team that did things the right way under the constraints of a small market and the Rays made sense, being an AL East team. Plus I liked a number of their players and always liked Joe Maddon.

The current Yankees are much more of what I wished they had been. More reliant on a farm system, more home grown.... but its not like i'm going back now.... and it's not like they still don't spend quite a bit.

By the 2001? WS I was jumping up and down when Luis gonzalez hit that game winner and I was pissing the hell out of my girlfriend at the time in 2003 when the Marlins beat them

I think Ive told my former Yankees fan story before. Its similar to yours.

I was born in OK. No pro team there. Mickey Mantle was from OK, so my dad was a huge fan. Naturally, the rest of us became Yankee fans too.

Bobby Mercer was also from OK, so we followed him and the Yanks during those years.

When Johnny Bench (also and Okie) was with the Big Red Machine, we were all in on them.

As an adult, I moved around a lot. I followed the Rangers, Braves and Cubs for a bit.

When I moved to CT and worked in NYC, I was back on the Yankees.

I was at Yankee Stadium in 2001 for 1 ALCS game, then back again for 1 WS game. What a great series and a really tough loss for Yankees fans.

When I moved back to Chicago a year or so later, I started watching the Cubs again. I still watched the Yankees when I could. But then they signed Arod, and I was out for good.

I'm a former partial season ticket Yankee holder. The A Rod years were not enjoyable. Yeah they won a World Series (one. BFD) but he sucked the joy out of it. I enjoyed the Kevin Mass/ Bam Bam Meulens years more, some of the worst Yankee teams in history.

• Like 1

I'm a former partial season ticket Yankee holder. The A Rod years were not enjoyable. Yeah they won a World Series (one. BFD) but he sucked the joy out of it. I enjoyed the Kevin Mass/ Bam Bam Meulens years more, some of the worst Yankee teams in history.

My favorite Yankee moment was his girl slap at the 1B glove :D

Nats at Reds opener postponed...

Hoping to avoid this in Motown, we will be there if the weather allows them to play it

Nats at Reds opener postponed...

And there goes "every team playing on opening day since 1968"

Pirates at Tigers opening day postponed...

Huh, scheduling a baseball game in Detroit in March was a bad idea. Who knew?

Same as every year, I'll follow the Mets until 3 of their starting pitchers are on the DL by mid-May.

Same as every year, I'll follow the Mets until 3 of their starting pitchers are on the DL by mid-May.

:nono:

64-98

When your bottom third of the lineup for the first six weeks consists of Alex Gordon, Alcides Escobar & Drew Butera.

:bench:

Rusty Staub, Le Grande Orange. R.I.P.

Yeah although I thought he was already a dead.

:(

Same. At least they are starting the year healthy this time..

Mets

94 wins this year.

Hope you are correct.

Lot of strikeouts in that lineup..