Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2014 British Open (Open Championship) Thread**

The British Open (or Open Championship) is now just three weeks away. Per my usual custom, here is my list of my top ten favorties and other possible contenders. After a runaway US Open, here's hoping for a little more drama on the final day of competition. Picks are subject to change a bit also depending on what happens during the next 3 weeks or so. I do think this is turning into the year of the 2-time major winners, so I am picking another guy who has won a major this decade to win another (see Watson, Kaymer).

Top Ten:

1. Justin Rose- Now that his US Open title defense is behind him, I think Rose is primed to win his second major in as many years. Needs to be sharp at Congressional as a tune-up to cement this pick.

2. Miguel Angel Jimenez- Last three Open Championship winners were in their mid-forties. MAJ is beyond that a bit, but I think he'll make a tremendous push for this major on a course that he can handle. Will lose by one stroke to Rose.

3. Jason Day- Day would have been my favorite in the US Open and this major this year if he hadn't been thrown out of rhythm by his wrist injury. Good showings in the next few weeks could bump him higher than this...maybe even #1.

4. Brandt Snedeker- A brutal year for Snedeker is starting to turn around. He's gotten into contention in this major before (2012) and I think his style of play suits this major very well.

5. Martin Kaymer- How can you leave him out of your top five after he destroyed the field at Pinehurst?

6. Sergio Garcia- Garcia has been playing very good golf for two years now somewhat under the radar. Would not surprise me one bit if he won this thing. A solid pick for the week.

7. Paul Casey- A career back on the rise will see further development at Hoylake. I look for Casey to be in the final two groups going into the weekend before settling for a top-10 finish in the end.

8. Adam Scott- Has the ball striking to blow the field away. Has the putting to miss the cut. Evening those two things out, this is about where I think the world's #1 player will finish.

9. Justin Leonard- I will probably keep Justin in my top ten at the British list until he's 50. I just think he's a poor man's Tom Watson when it comes to links courses.

10. Rickie Fowler- Impressed me so much at the US Open that I can't leave him out of the top ten.

Players outside of my top ten who have a very legitimate shot at winning: Henrik Stenson, Dustin Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Hideki Matsuyama, Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, Victor Dubuisson, Graeme McDowell, Rory McIlroy, Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner, Jordan Spieth, Harris English, Kevin Na, Jimmy Walker.

Highly talented, top tier players who have either struggled in 2014 thus far or struggled recently; Can put together at the any time...Phil Mickelson, Louis Oosthuzien, Tiger Woods, Zach Johnson, Hunter Mahan, Charl Schwartzel, Luke Donald, Webb Simpson.

Can never be counted out of a major due to experience and savvy: Ernie Els, Thomas Bjorn, Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk, Steve Stricker.

Darkhorses, but with plenty of game: Francesco Molinari, Jamie Donaldson, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, Stephen Gallacher, Branden Grace, Mikko Ilonen, Joost Luiten, Matteo Manassero, Thongchai Jaidee, Chris Wood, Brendon De Jonge, Graham DeLaet, Bill Haas, Billy Horschel, Kevin Streelman, Nick Watney, Boo Weekley, Gary Woodland, Marc Leishman, John Senden, Jonas Blixt, Russell Henley, Matt Jones, Chris Kirk, Ryan Palmer, Patrick Reed, Ryan Moore, Danny Willett, Brendon Todd.

Other past major winners in the field: Mark Calcavecchia, Stewart Cink, Darren Clarke, Ben Curtis, John Daly, David Duval, Todd Hamilton, Paidrig Harrington, Paul Lawrie, Tom Lehman, Sandy Lyle, Mark O' Meara, Tom Watson, Nick Faldo, Angel Cabrera, Y.E. Yang.

I know who won't win.

Tiger might win because Edjr says he wont?

Well no...not exactly. You've watched sports / golf right? Doesn't it seem that whenever there is an overwhelming favorite it never happens and just when you count somebody or some team out, they win?

edjr is saying he "knows" Tiger won't win probably due to Tiger being out for so long and just coming back from injury and not winning majors recentley. He rightfully probably feels that way. And for the first time in a while most pundits will think the same. Tiger will have the longest betting odds to win The Open in years in Vegas. This is the one major in years where he won't actually be one of the top few favorites to win it.

Which is why he'll probably have a good showing. It just seems to work that way.

Tiger might win because Edjr says he wont?

No. I'm saying everyone FW picked won't win. He sucks at prediciting.

federer

He has as much chance as Tiger

Ed...is FW referring to me? If so, I've been decent at it of late.

Ed...is FW referring to me? If so, I've been decent at it of late.

Yes.

I don't read what you write, I just have to bust nuts :cheers:

The British Open (or Open Championship) is now just three weeks away. Per my usual custom, here is my list of my top ten favorties and other possible contenders. After a runaway US Open, here's hoping for a little more drama on the final day of competition. Picks are subject to change a bit also depending on what happens during the next 3 weeks or so. I do think this is turning into the year of the 2-time major winners, so I am picking another guy who has won a major this decade to win another (see Watson, Kaymer).

psst...it's called Wimbledon.

psst...it's called Wimbledon.

:lol: :huh: :o :wacko:

Top Ten:

1. Justin Rose- Now that his US Open title defense is behind him, I think Rose is primed to win his second major in as many years. Needs to be sharp at Congressional as a tune-up to cement this pick.

2. Miguel Angel Jimenez- Last three Open Championship winners were in their mid-forties. MAJ is beyond that a bit, but I think he'll make a tremendous push for this major on a course that he can handle. Will lose by one stroke to Rose.

3. Jason Day- Day would have been my favorite in the US Open and this major this year if he hadn't been thrown out of rhythm by his wrist injury. Good showings in the next few weeks could bump him higher than this...maybe even #1.

4. Brandt Snedeker- A brutal year for Snedeker is starting to turn around. He's gotten into contention in this major before (2012) and I think his style of play suits this major very well.

5. Martin Kaymer- How can you leave him out of your top five after he destroyed the field at Pinehurst?

6. Sergio Garcia- Garcia has been playing very good golf for two years now somewhat under the radar. Would not surprise me one bit if he won this thing. A solid pick for the week.

7. Paul Casey- A career back on the rise will see further development at Hoylake. I look for Casey to be in the final two groups going into the weekend before settling for a top-10 finish in the end.

8. Adam Scott- Has the ball striking to blow the field away. Has the putting to miss the cut. Evening those two things out, this is about where I think the world's #1 player will finish.

9. Justin Leonard- I will probably keep Justin in my top ten at the British list until he's 50. I just think he's a poor man's Tom Watson when it comes to links courses.

10. Rickie Fowler- Impressed me so much at the US Open that I can't leave him out of the top ten.

Players outside of my top ten who have a very legitimate shot at winning: Henrik Stenson, Dustin Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Hideki Matsuyama, Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, Victor Dubuisson, Graeme McDowell, Rory McIlroy, Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner, Jordan Spieth, Harris English, Kevin Na, Jimmy Walker.

Highly talented, top tier players who have either struggled in 2014 thus far or struggled recently; Can put together at the any time...Phil Mickelson, Louis Oosthuzien, Tiger Woods, Zach Johnson, Hunter Mahan, Charl Schwartzel, Luke Donald, Webb Simpson.

Can never be counted out of a major due to experience and savvy: Ernie Els, Thomas Bjorn, Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk, Steve Stricker.

Darkhorses, but with plenty of game: Francesco Molinari, Jamie Donaldson, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, Stephen Gallacher, Branden Grace, Mikko Ilonen, Joost Luiten, Matteo Manassero, Thongchai Jaidee, Chris Wood, Brendon De Jonge, Graham DeLaet, Bill Haas, Billy Horschel, Kevin Streelman, Nick Watney, Boo Weekley, Gary Woodland, Marc Leishman, John Senden, Jonas Blixt, Russell Henley, Matt Jones, Chris Kirk, Ryan Palmer, Patrick Reed, Ryan Moore, Danny Willett, Brendon Todd.

Other past major winners in the field: Mark Calcavecchia, Stewart Cink, Darren Clarke, Ben Curtis, John Daly, David Duval, Todd Hamilton, Paidrig Harrington, Paul Lawrie, Tom Lehman, Sandy Lyle, Mark O' Meara, Tom Watson, Nick Faldo, Angel Cabrera, Y.E. Yang.

This is kind of what I don't understand - who exactly is your pick? You have a top 10 that if it hits you say you had them, then you also list half the field behind them - but then you say Kaymer or Watson....? :dunno:

Scott has bacially gifted the last 2 Opens away - I'll take him as my pick.

The Kaymer/Watson reference was in relation to guys winning their second majors in 2014 thus far. Rose is the pick to win and join Watson and Kaymer as 2-time major winners. The top ten is listed in order of predicted finish.

Does that make sense?

And I've never claimed to pick a winner correctly if he simply falls within my top ten. Last year, I picked Scott to win the Masters, Rose to win the US Open, and Dufner to win the PGA. Got those right. Picked Branden Grace to win the British. Not right. This year so far, I picked Watson to win the Masters and McIlroy to win at Pinehust.

My top ten is always a predicted order of finish.

Scottish Open starts tomorrow...Open Championship then comes next only a week away. I think the Scottish Open is a great place to prepare for the Open Championship and this year, it has a great field including Rose, Jimenez, Donald, Westwood, McIlroy, Jimmy Walker, Fowler, Oosthuzien, Poulter, Dubuisson, Donaldson, Molinari, Els, and defending champ, Mickelson.

My top two picks for Hoylake remain unchanged as Justin Rose and Miguel Angel Jimenez, but I've got to back away from Jason Day as my third place pick as he is simply not playing with any sort of form. When I update my final pre-tournament rankings next week, he'll be out and Henrik Stenson will be inserted somewhere in the top ten as Stenson is beginning to look like he did last summer and fall.

Also this week is the John Deere Classic...normally, not a good prep for the Open Championship, but Zach Johnson darn near won the JD last year and then contended at Muirfield the next week, so who knows.

Great to see the Harman kid win the John Deere - what a great week of golf he played.

Looking like rain Friday thru Sunday for the Open. Wet conditions are going to bring more of the field back into play.

Women's Open was pretty awesome.

Very happy to see Mo Martin win.

I only watched Sunday, but I was super glad I did.

What a shot on 18

Watched the senior US open too.

Very happy to see Monty :pointstosky: finally get his USGA victory.

What was up with the women's open having 3 par 5s in the last 4 holes? WTF?

Women's Open was pretty awesome.

Very happy to see Mo Martin win.

I only watched Sunday, but I was super glad I did.

What a shot on 18

Both the US and British Women's open were awesome. Those winds were giving those girls hell yesterday.

John Daly has made 3 cuts in a row.

Shaving?

Both the US and British Women's open were awesome. Those winds were giving those girls hell yesterday.

Sad to see my girl Suzann Pettersen choke away another major. She is the Jim Furyk of the ladies tour, but at least he has 1 major under his belt

What was up with the women's open having 3 par 5s in the last 4 holes? WTF?

That was pretty weird. Royal Liverpool actually has 3 par 5's on the back this week for the guys.

Sad to see my girl Suzann Pettersen choke away another major. She is the Jim Furyk of the ladies tour, but at least he has 1 major under his belt

There are some pretty hot girls on the ladies tour right now. Feng and I. Park are not two of them.

That was pretty weird. Royal Liverpool actually has 3 par 5's on the back this week for the guys.

I thought they'd change one or more to a par 4

I thought they'd change one or more to a par 4

I thought they might too but they decided to go with it. The shortest one on the back is 532 so with it being wet and soft - could still be a bit of a challenge. Look for the duck to flourish in the rain! :bandana:

My favorite part of the British open.

It's on real early here on the east coast, leaves plenty of time to watch and go real golfing.

My favorite part of the British open.

It's on real early here on the east coast, leaves plenty of time to watch and go real golfing.

That and the great Peter Alliss. :thumbsup:

Mickelson and rose duel down the finish Ala Merion. Book it

He's so great because we only get to hear him once a year.

However, fock ESPN!

There are some pretty hot girls on the ladies tour right now. Feng and I. Park are not two of them.

I'm always amazed at how well those LPGA players strike the ball.

It always looks like most of them are squinting, which has to be a handicap in terms of eye hand coordination.

How about that cheater Sun Ju Ahn, who was assessed a 2 stroke penalty for building a sand castle to stand on, 18 in the 3rd round? Took her from the final group to tied for 3rd

Well no...not exactly. You've watched sports / golf right? Doesn't it seem that whenever there is an overwhelming favorite it never happens and just when you count somebody or some team out, they win?

edjr is saying he "knows" Tiger won't win probably due to Tiger being out for so long and just coming back from injury and not winning majors recentley. He rightfully probably feels that way. And for the first time in a while most pundits will think the same. Tiger will have the longest betting odds to win The Open in years in Vegas. This is the one major in years where he won't actually be one of the top few favorites to win it.

Which is why he'll probably have a good showing. It just seems to work that way.

Crazy enough, Tiger is tied for the 2nd favorite with McIlroy at 15 to 1. Scott is the favorite at 12 to 1. Obviously longer odds than Tiger would ever have, but he is still considered one of the "favorites."

How much do I have to bet on Tiger to NOT win, to win $500?

He's so great because we only get to hear him once a year.

However, fock ESPN!

If you think that's the only reason Peter Allis is great you are nuts. And I actually think MIke Tirico does a really great job too. Although I do admit ESPN's overall golf coverage isn't much to write home about.

How about that cheater Sun Ju Ahn, who was assessed a 2 stroke penalty for building a sand castle to stand on, 18 in the 3rd round? Took her from the final group to tied for 3rd

How in the hell does a touring pro not know this rule? What a dumbass. Then she opend up with back to back doubles on her next round.

While Peter aliss is good, I liken it to Americans loving world cup announcers. Something about the accent just makes links golf and the open championship feel right