Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Baker Mayfield, Browns

Patriots were going to trade up to #2 to get Mayfield if the Browns didn't draft him.

Mayfield confirmed best QB in the draft. Good job Browns.

Patriots were going to trade up to #2 to get Mayfield if the Browns didn't draft him.

I know. So were the packers and the steelers and the bucs and the vikings and the saints and the seahawks and the bears and the niners and the chargers and the eagles etc....

Agents are such a great source of information to the public.

Wow. It's confirmed now!! Everyone can rest easy.

Great job.

I read that.

Not going to agree or disagree with this. I think Chubb is the better player, so that is who I would have drafted.

At any rate, I saw/heard where DC Gregg Williams opted for Ward over Chubb for two main reasons: 1) his defenses play more press coverage than any other team and he thought Ward was the best at it in the draft and 2) he seems to be pretty high on Emmanuel Ogbah.

Here's the quote (link):

Sodium pentathol, and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, came up in the wake of the Denzel Ward pick. Truth serum. My question to Dorsey on Friday morning: “If we gave Gregg Williams sodium pentathol right now, who would he have said he wanted with the fourth pick—Denzel Ward or Bradley Chubb?” Dorsey pulled out his cell phone and rang Williams. I asked him the question. Williams: “Ward. The reason is our need for a press cover cornerback. Denzel probably plays that position as well as anyone I’ve seen in college football in some time. We probably play the most press of any team in the league. There’s another reason. I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.” Ogbah, Williams said, was a major reason why the Browns went Ward over Chubb. “Ogbah’s a rising star in this league,” Williams said. “He’s got a chance to be Chubb.” High praise.

Great post, and I knew this about Ogbah too, and heard that about getting better cover corner to allow the rush to make it the qb with the guys they already have.