Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Soccer could be more popular than baseball when World Cup comes to the U.S. in 2026

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/07/17/world-cup-could-soccer-surpass-baseball-popularity-2026-all-star-game/789223002/

Baseball’s All-Star Game will take place for the 89th time on Tuesday, coming just two days after the end of soccer’s World Cup and a week before most NFL teams begin reporting for training camp.
This break in the season, along with the relative quiet across the national sports calendar, usually inspires a series of conversations about what’s wrong with baseball and this year has been no exception. Alarms are being sounded across the board about attendance (down about 1,500 fans per game off last year’s total), polling that shows fewer than 10% of Americans call baseball their favorite sport and a league-wide batting average of .247 (lowest since 1968) that has made the game less oriented toward balls in play.
How do you know the problems are real? Serious people affiliated with baseball aren’t writing these issues off as cyclical. Some are even proposing ideas to radically reform the way the game is played. (Former pitcher and broadcaster Jim Kaat, for instance, tweeted over the weekend about shortening games to seven innings.)
But the real issue with baseball has less to do with the quality of play, number of games or price of tickets. It’s whether an unstoppable generational realignment is taking place that is going to eventually lead to soccer replacing baseball among America's most favorite pastimes.
To be clear, it’s still an open question. The future isn’t written in stone. But with a wildly successful World Cup just ending and MLS on the rise, it’s not inconceivable that soccer’s popularity is going to grow at a rate to surpass baseball by the time the World Cup comes to the U.S. in 2026.
Something has changed in America, even if it’s a bit hard to pin down yet or quantify. You can see it in the social media chatter during a big soccer match, whether it’s the World Cup or the English Premiere League on a Saturday morning in the fall. You can sense it in the packed pubs and parks over the past month to watch games that didn’t even involve a team from the U.S. You can feel it in the energy of a city like downtown Atlanta – the nation’s college football capital – where an MLS team put 72,243 fans in the stadium Sunday and it wasn’t even a surprise.
And while it’s unfair to equate a once-in-four-years energy of an international event like the World Cup with a sport like baseball that grinds away day in, day out over a seven-month season, it would be naive to ignore the potential that soccer holds to disrupt the pro sports landscape.
Once derided as too boring for the American sports palate, the theory for years was that soccer’s popularity would turn when the generation that grew up playing youth soccer matured into adults. But that hasn’t really turned out to be true, nor did the expected boom materialize after the 1994 World Cup and 1998 Women’s World Cup were played on our shores.
Rather, what’s truly lifted soccer’s prominence from a viewership standpoint are technology and globalization. Soccer has become the sport of the young and urbane, who tend to live in big, diverse, metropolitan cities and don’t care that the best players in the world are neither American nor play for American teams.
And because the top European leagues are now relatively easy to access on both television and the Internet, it has become natural for people to build a connection with the recognizable, pop culture stars such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar and Lionel Messi even when they play across the Atlantic Ocean.
You’d struggle to find a single player in the baseball All-Star Game besides maybe Bryce Harper who is as well-known and recognizable among Americans under age 40 as any of the top international soccer players.
Beyond that, the two-hour window for games appeals to millennials, who are often reticent to commit to three or four hours for watching baseball or football. And when you combine the MLS and its rapid expansion into booming markets such as Orlando, Atlanta and Portland with the popularity of the FIFA video game, you get a sport with a cool factor that appeals to the younger crowd in a way baseball is struggling to connect with.
Again, there hasn’t necessarily been a definitive shift in the American population. Some will point to Fox’s ratings for the World Cup final being down slightly from ABC/ESPN four years ago (the final between France and Croatia drew 17.3 million viewers) and say there’s been little growth in the appetite to actually watch a non-U.S. team play. Conversely, last year's World Series averaged 18.9 million viewers on Fox across seven games.
It’s a fair point. As of today, there are probably more baseball fans in the U.S. than soccer fans.
Maybe that won’t ever change, much less by 2026. But with another World Cup now behind us, it’s clearer than ever that soccer has become part of the mainstream. It’s relevant and hip, two words unlikely to be uttered about the baseball exhibition in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday night.

A huge comeuppance for a once proud sport that is run by people that don't care young kids don't give a sh1t about it. Sad.

Beyond that, the two-hour window for games appeals to millennials, who are often reticent to commit to three or four hours for watching baseball or football.

This is it in a nutshell... People born in the internet age have no patience and need things over quickly...

• Like 1

This is it in a nutshell... People born in the internet age have no patience and need things over quickly...

Its part of it.

Ive never liked baseball. I think the last time I watched a full game was the first time the Red Sox won the series recently. It was the game seven against the Yankees after they had been down 0-3.

I only watched because some Boston friends had a party.

Its just dull to me. Nothing ever happens. Mostly a bunch of standing around, and occasionally a quick play that all are pretty much the same.

Its a game that was invented and was perfect to follow on radio. Back in the old days. Thats why they play the focking games in the middle of the damn workday.

Nothing ever happens. Mostly a bunch of standing around, and occasionally a quick play that all are pretty much the same.

This is the same with soccer, which I don't understand why people that love soccer say baseball is boring... The only difference is baseball isn't timed...

I actually really like soccer and would like to see the US be competitive on the world stage. Baseball never did anything for me, it was fun to play in 9th/10th grade is about it.

a soccer game is 90 minutes +10 for extra time and a 15 minute half time.

2 hours is the perfect length for a sporting event.

NFL is 3:15 with 100 commercials and 11 minutes of actual play

MLB is 3:10

NHL is 2:20

NBA is 2:15

NBA is the only league that has seen increased ratings in the past few years.

• Like 1

Yep. They fit more play time into 2 hours than the NFL does in 4.

This is the same with soccer, which I don't understand why people that love soccer say baseball is boring... The only difference is baseball isn't timed...

I honesty prefer soccer to baseball. Neither is really my cup of tea, but given the choice, Ill take soccer.

Both are sports that are much more fun live though.

Soccer fans calling baseball boring. That's focking rich.

both are boring AF

• Like 1

Stop snorting the white stuff and maybe you'll be able to sit still long enough to catch a whole game.

Stop snorting the white stuff and maybe you'll be able to sit still long enough to catch a whole game.

did I hit a nerve somehow? Have you been triggered? I'm sorry.

I'd much rather watch soccer than baseball. I'd much rather play baseball than soccer.

Also, soccer is the best sports video game, hands down. No other game even comes close.

both are boring AF

To each their own, but I can watch or listen to a baseball game anytime. Live, tv or radio, it doesn't matter.

I've watched lots of Little League, High School, College WS, Minor Leagues, MLB and even an occasional college softball game if the pitcher has a nice ass.

I've never understood the appeal of soccer on any level. Even as a kid, when so many kids wanted to play soccer at recess, my friends and I would shoot hoops or throw a football around. I think that comes from wanting to emulate the players we watched on tv. Back then, there was never a soccer game on tv. That's all changed now. Plus, more kids are turning away from football and playing soccer instead. In my area, both soccer and football are fall sports. Where I grew up, soccer was a spring sport and most kids played baseball in the spring.

did I hit a nerve somehow? Have you been triggered? I'm sorry.

Yeah. That's it. I'm personally offended by your views on this matter. I feel bullied and victimized. See you in court.

Soccer fans calling baseball boring. That's focking rich.

This.

No one said soccer wasn't boring. Baseball is more boring.

HTH

No one said soccer wasn't boring. Baseball is more boring.

HTH

Baseball has more opportunities for getting the fock out of your seat and get a beer and a bite to eat.

Baseball has more opportunities for getting the fock out of your seat and get a beer and a bite to eat.

pissing away more money. great.

Speaking of which, I was at a minor league game the other night and holy fock people would not sit still!

I was on the aisle seat on the first base side, and at no time did I get to see an entire half inning of play unobstructed. That aisle was like Grand Central at 8 am.

Stop. Just stop. I have been hearing the same old bullcrap song and dance for 20 years now. Soccer is NEVER going to replace ANY of the big 4. EVER. For a very simple reason. American male athletes play soccer in youth leagues. Once they start to get older and bigger they realize that soccer is for girls and for kids who have peanut allergies. You are left with the cream of the crop of pansies. Which are still pansies.

• Like 1

Stop. Just stop. I have been hearing the same old bullcrap song and dance for 20 years now. Soccer is NEVER going to replace ANY of the big 4. EVER. For a very simple reason. American male athletes play soccer in youth leagues. Once they start to get older and bigger they realize that soccer is for girls and for kids who have peanut allergies. You are left with the cream of the crop of pansies. Which are still pansies.

Your kid isn't gonna stick with any of those sports anyway.

you and people that think like you are the reason MLB and the NFL will fail in your lifetime

• Like 1

Baseball is a softer sport than soccer.

pissing away more money. great.

Watch from home if you can't afford it. HTH

The First Super Bowl was 2:37 long.

The First Super Bowl was 2:37 long.

SO sad

it's not bad enough they bilk the fans that attend the games. The number of commercials is outrageous

I am not buying it. Soccer has been a top participant sport in the US for years. Americans just dont like to watch it. For good reason. Its boring.

I am not buying it. Soccer has been a top participant sport in the US for years. Americans just dont like to watch it. For good reason. Its boring.

Difference being, baseball and football are now boring too

I still think people will go by "content" rather than "how long the event is" to choose what they watch.

Also, as more and more minorities land here and grow up here, we will see an increase in soccer fans. Twist it politically if you want, but its true. Also, more soccer fans = more democratic voters. Look it up.

I still think people will go by "content" rather than "how long the event is" to choose what they watch.

Also, as more and more minorities land here and grow up here, we will see an increase in soccer fans. Twist it politically if you want, but its true. Also, more soccer fans = more democratic voters. Look it up.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

And ed, I was being a smartass with the "content" comment. I didn't really think that you thought that people would watch a sport because it fit into the "2-hour" time frame. I'm good at twisting sh!t sometimes. :banana:

I was being dead serious with the rest. Except the "look it up" part.

Difference being, baseball and football are now boring too

Football was very exciting for me last season! :first:

My sons and their friends were over here for dinner tonight and they were all talking about last nights HR derby and the celebrity softball game.

One of the kids had a bet with his grandpa on the Derby where they drafted 4 players each. Highest HR total won an ice cream cone.

Theres no shortage of kids who love baseball around here.

Soccer aint overtaking baseball in my lifetime.

My sons and their friends were over here for dinner tonight and they were all talking about last nights HR derby and the celebrity softball game.

One of the kids had a bet with his grandpa on the Derby where they drafted 4 players each. Highest HR total won an ice cream cone.

Theres no shortage of kids who love baseball around here.

Soccer aint overtaking baseball in my lifetime.

this.

not surprising honestly

Baseball requires extreme skill

Soccer requires none

which do you think millenials favor?

and no dumbasses dont show me a video of 6 random guys landing a bicycle kick, I too have a video where I scored like that and I too played high level soccer/pro into my mid 20's

I've always said the growth of soccer in this country correlates with our societies growth in being afraid of failure.

think about it. The one position kids never want to play is goalie and why? They can fail. And everyone will see it. But yeah run around like a goofball kicking the ball back and forth? No problem. If you missed the ball don't worry about it because it will probably come back to you in about 5 Seconds.

every other sport it's painfully obvious when you were the one that's failing.

Luckily our society has way more kids not afraid to fail but I truly believe that's why you're seeing a growth in soccer.

I've always said the growth of soccer in this country correlates with our societies growth in being afraid of failure.

think about it. The one position kids never want to play is goalie and why? They can fail. And everyone will see it. But yeah run around like a goofball kicking the ball back and forth? No problem. If you missed the ball don't worry about it because it will probably come back to you in about 5 Seconds.

Luckily our society has way more kids not afraid to fail but I truly believe that's why you're seeing a growth in soccer.

Interesting insight.

I played soccer, basketball (just JV) and baseball (my best and favorite sport) through High School.

Your post couldnt be further from the truth.

Its just a different sport when playing. Thats all. Youre making up some weird correlation.

Watching soccer for any casual fan IS better. There are literally ZERO commercials. Its very refreshing.