Sign in to follow this  
envoy9

If Blount is cut?

I say they make a move for someone. They have too if they cut Blount. Maybe they trade for Hyde or Lewis in NE?

I say they make a move for someone. They have too if they cut Blount. Maybe they trade for Hyde or Lewis in NE?

Agree. To me the Blount signing always signaled Philly recognizing the need for a one year gap filler. They will draft an RB or two early next year (rounds 1-4) barring an unforeseen breakout this year.

They could also pick up an unsigned vet like James Starks or Rashad Jennings. Similarly, a few replacement-level backs are sure to be available after final cuts.

There is no indication Blount will be cut.

A writer from NJ.com giving his opinion that he would not be surprised if Blount is cut is pretty meaningless.

I've seen a blount rolled. I've seen a blount stuffed. But I have never seen a blount cut.

Rumors are he won't make 53. He will make and be s huge disappointment. There is a reason every RB is successful in NE

Brady and Oline and Bellicheck are 3 reasons.

Rumors are he won't make 53. He will make and be s huge disappointment. There is a reason every RB is successful in NE

Brady and Oline and Bellicheck are 3 reasons.

Philly has a better O-Line than NE. Won't argue with you on the other 2 points though.

that. what am i missing here in the reasoning behind the question?

someone in Jersey put out an article saying they think he will be cut.

but he's not local to philly and hasnt visited their training camp.

Most likely he heard a rumour and decided it would make a nice story. or it was a slow news day and he needed a story. take your pick.

I watched Blount in the last game, and he didn't look good, no burst, no vision...almost like he didn't care. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut.

they cut mathews. im in delaware i havent heard anything about it. i think blount will be alright but whats his healthy floor is the concern. 18apg at like 3yds per with 8tds?

eww

Philly has a better O-Line than NE. Won't argue with you on the other 2 points though.

Brady's jersey has yet to need to be washed in his career, I beg to differ.

If your league is up to date on current happenings, his stock will fall big time. If you believe in him, get him late...

Im in a ppr, and im not into him at all.

I watched Blount in the last game, and he didn't look good, no burst, no vision...almost like he didn't care. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut.

I dont know how much stock I put into this. I have no doubt Blount looked bad like you say.

but some players just dont care that much when it is exhibition.

you said Blount almost looked like he didnt care and I believe you. It's exhibition and the vets are looking to not get injured. he will hit his hole, but he wont hit it hard like he does in the regular season. it's mostly a dress rehearsal to make sure he actually knows all the plays and to make sure he knows his assignments.

I dont see most vets putting in anywhere close to 100% until the last exhibition game. Even then, probably not a full effort.

the people who go full tilt at this time of the year are those on the bubble who need to show the coach they need to be on the team or those who are fighting for their starting role.

If Blount is cut?

....then he ceases to have children.

Blount isn't a dynamic runner.

I don't know if he sometimes doesn't care, sometimes isn't fully healthy, or sometimes just has an off day... but when he isn't on his very best day, he isn't a very dynamic running back. 2 yds. Cloud of dust. And odds are he didn't fumble. That's what he is.

Everyone knows his name and he scored a lot of TD's because he was the goal line guy for NE. Besides one or two runs where he carried some people, he never looked "great". Blount is a dime-a-dozen type NFL RB.

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski suggests Wendell Smallwood could win the Eagles' starting running back job.

Kempski calls it a "surprise development," but perhaps one Smallwood has earned by being "the best back in camp by a significant margin."

Blount isn't a dynamic runner.

I don't know if he sometimes doesn't care, sometimes isn't fully healthy, or sometimes just has an off day... but when he isn't on his very best day, he isn't a very dynamic running back. 2 yds. Cloud of dust. And odds are he didn't fumble. That's what he is.

Everyone knows his name and he scored a lot of TD's because he was the goal line guy for NE. Besides one or two runs where he carried some people, he never looked "great". Blount is a dime-a-dozen type NFL RB.

you also have to remember that the Pats offense is a TD machine.

The pie is smaller just because the Eagles wont put up nearly as many points.

Blount wont get as many carries, and wont get as many TD.

Remember, the pats ranked #3 in points scored last season, and brady missed a few games due to suspension

Philly ranked #16. they scored less than the pats by almost 80 points.

I'd be inclined to shrink that pie when projecting numbers for Blount this year.

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski suggests Wendell Smallwood could win the Eagles' starting running back job.

Kempski calls it a "surprise development," but perhaps one Smallwood has earned by being "the best back in camp by a significant margin."

But he hasn't played a preseason game. Are they holding him back

But he hasn't played a preseason game. Are they holding him back

He tweaked his hamstring in the 2nd week of Training Camp. He is back to full participation and expected to play in Thursday night's game.

It's early but I'm about to burn my waiver priority sitting at #8 to pick up Smallwood and drop Joe Williams.

It is early for a hype train but if Blount is cut Smallwood slides into a roll that can produce points. If Philly is a team on the rise with additions he will be the guy killing the clock when they have the lead running behind a top 5 OL.

I don't think Blount will be cut. I wouldn't be shocked, but I'm not there. I can't see his effort every day in practice, his rapport with the guys, his body language, he want to. However, anyone that drafts him as a RB1 or RB2 is likely to regret it.

NE would probably pick him and he'd score 15 TD's.

this.

this.

I keep seeing people say this but it's not going to happen? They would have to cut one of the many backs they have already. Not going to happen.

this.

Both Lombardo and NFL insider Adam Caplan have suggested Blount might not make the Eagles. Signed to a mere one-year, $1.25 million deal with next to no guarantees, Blount has reportedly been outplayed by Wendell Smallwood, and looked lost running out of the shotgun in Philly's second preseason game.

No...this. It's over. Get on board with the idea that Blount is a non factor. He's the typical plodder that served his purpose as a battering ram in an offense that Curtis Enis could have had success in. NE has their Blount for this year. This guy is done.

I am moving Sproles up

I don't know. Sproles is entering his 12th season...not a typical RB so not the wear, but he won't be anything more than a 3rd down compliment at best. All signs are pointing to Samllwood being the Philly RB to target. Not saying he'll be more than a RB 3/4, but to me this is the typical pre-season storm that gives us a RB that makes a difference as a late round flyer.

I don't know. Sproles is entering his 12th season...not a typical RB so not the wear, but he won't be anything more than a 3rd down compliment at best. All signs are pointing to Samllwood being the Philly RB to target. Not saying he'll be more than a RB 3/4, but to me this is the typical pre-season storm that gives us a RB that makes a difference as a late round flyer.

I play PPR with return yards (dont know if Sproles is a return man) but Philly from what I have heard are going to mostly play out of the shotgun, which is why Blount is struggling.

Sproles led the team in snaps last year, and I expect the same this year

I am moving Sproles up

if you wanna draft a 34 year old scat back, go right ahead.

he's not much more than a last round draft pick who you can insert into the lineup in the event of injury or when his team is playing a defense that does poorly against pass catching RB's.

even that may be questionable.

Both Lombardo and NFL insider Adam Caplan have suggested Blount might not make the Eagles. Signed to a mere one-year, $1.25 million deal with next to no guarantees, Blount has reportedly been outplayed by Wendell Smallwood, and looked lost running out of the shotgun in Philly's second preseason game.

No...this. It's over. Get on board with the idea that Blount is a non factor. He's the typical plodder that served his purpose as a battering ram in an offense that Curtis Enis could have had success in. NE has their Blount for this year. This guy is done.

"Looked lost"

Blount has touched the football 11 times this preseason. On many of them, the offensive line has simply not been adequate. When they are properly blocking he has looked decent. On a few of his net losses however, having Sproles or Smallwood in the game instead would have helped immensely. Neither has played a snap yet in the preseason on offense. THAT has to be taken into account here.

Went back and looked at each of his touches thus far:

1) 1st and 10 at PHI 46 Single back Wentz under center. Two packers are 2 yards behind LOS at time he gets handoff. Evades tackle 3 yards behind LOS and turns the run into a gain of 3.

2) 3rd and 15 at PHI 49. Shotgun. Blount lined up to the right. Rips through a hole in the middle of the O-line. Picks up 9 yards. Broke 1..maybe 2 tackles.

3)1st and 10 at GB 35. I-formation. Runs right, tackled for a 1-yard loss. Isaac Seumalo gets beat bad by Clark.

4) 2nd and 11 at GB 36. Single back Wentz under center. By the time Blount gets the handoff, Morgan Burnett is 3 yards behind the LOS and meets him immediately.

Against Bills:

5) 1st and 10 at PHI 25. Single back under center. By the time he gets the handoff, O-line is 2 yards behind LOS. Jerry Hughes almost tackles him for 5 yard loss. Turns it into a one yard loss.

6)1st and goal at 9. Shotgun. Blount to the right. Once again, O-line is pushed back immediately. This run is a very good example however of wrong personnel in for the play called. It's a sweep to the left, but Blount is not fast enough to get to the outside. Breaks a tackle behind the LOS, but he only gets 1 yard.

7)2nd and goal at 8. Shotgun. Blount to the left. Hits the hole, picks up 2. Meh.

8) 1st and 10 at PHI 27. Single back Wentz under center. Pitch back to Blount who runs left. Once again, the O-line is beat immediately. However, there is running room and blockers ahead of him. This is probably his worst run of the preseason. Personnel issue maybe? But he looks slow...too patient here.

9)1st and 10 at PHI 37. Shotgun. Blount to the right. Play breaks down, Wentz throws to him four yards past LOS. This play however shows what he still can do in the open field. Runs back towards LOS, waits for blockers, breaks a tackle, picks up 17 total yards on the play.

10)1st and 10 at BUF 47. Shotgun. Blount to the left. The offensive line finally gets push in the middle. Blount runs through the RG hole and picks up 8. Gets hit but dives and picks up an additional 2-3 yards at the end.

11) 1st and 10 at BUF 27. I-formation. Wentz throws to him in middle of field 3 yards past LOS as safety valve. Gets stripped and fumbles on a nice play by two Bills defenders.

Got him as my 3rd RB at pick 93 in a 12 man redraft tonight. My 1st 2 RB's were McCoy and Zeke, so hopefully he can fill in and keep me afloat while Zeke's out.