Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Cowboys talk

Great points Cruzer.

But what team in today’s nfl as a dominant defense.

It’s how today’s nfl is played.

Thanks.

Great points Cruzer.

But what team in today’s nfl as a dominant defense.

It’s how today’s nfl is played.

Thanks.

Dominant in terms of like Steel Curtain, Doomsday, 85' Bears? Um, might be right on that.

But the patchwork, half ass, get by approach to defense does not work - and it's the philosophy Dallas has adopted for 23 years now..... Back when we won those 3 SBs with Jimmy - everybody remembers the Triplets.. But what they don't remember is that Dallas ranked 2nd, 3rd and 5th in the league in total defense those years... The clowns running this team seem to think offense and keep-away is the way to stop other teams..... Um, it's not.

Jax, Minny and Philly all played in the Championship rounds last year, all 3 were ranked defensively in the top 5 - that wasn't a coincidence.

Purple people eaters all off them gone.

Last season the Cowboys def ranked 10th.

They defense out ranked 7 of the 12 playoff teams.

And the 12 playoff teams avg ranking was 13th.

And let’s not forget, the Patriots made the Super Bowl with a def ranked 29th, and that was the worst ranked def too make the playoffs.

And I can’t say of the top ranked def last season where dominate def like in the pass.

Today’s game is simply, control the ball score and hope for a few stops, or in must cases mistakes from the other team.

Thanks for the chat, always a pleasure.

Last season the Cowboys def ranked 10th.

They defense out ranked 7 of the 12 playoff teams.

And the 12 playoff teams avg ranking was 13th.

I'm a big stat guy... But the one thing I might believe in even more than that is - the Eye Test.

The Kool-Aid crowd around here is quick to point out many of the defensive #'s you provided.. And bcoz of those #'s they settle into their comfort zone and just assume the Defense is solid, totally shifting their attention and draft focus towards the offense. Can't tell you how many homer clowns wanted to draft a WR in the 1st round - it made me crazy.

Dallas' defensive #''s, while look good on paper - don't pass the eye test. Much of the padding and stats came at the end of the season, against pigs.. When it came time to nut up against real teams - they sucked.

* Last 5 games of the season Dallas blew thru: Wash, NYG, Oak, Sea, and a Philly team that sat everybody but the water boy.............all pigs.

* Games against playoff/good teams, Dallas gave up: 35 to the Rams, 42 to the Broncs, 35 to GB, 27 to the Falcons, and 28 to SD.

* Dallas blew 2nd half home leads to: Rams, Packers and Seahawks.

Don't be fooled by the #'s - this defense is not what they suggest. I watch every game we play, often twice - this unit needs a lot of help still if it's going to play games in late January/Feb.

I'm a big stat guy... But the one thing I might believe in even more than that is - the Eye Test.

The Kool-Aid crowd around here is quick to point out many of the defensive #'s you provided.. And bcoz of those #'s they settle into their comfort zone and just assume the Defense is solid, totally shifting their attention and draft focus towards the offense. Can't tell you how many homer clowns wanted to draft a WR in the 1st round - it made me crazy.

Dallas' defensive #''s, while look good on paper - don't pass the eye test. Much of the padding and stats came at the end of the season, against pigs.. When it came time to nut up against real teams - they sucked.

* Last 5 games of the season Dallas blew thru: Wash, NYG, Oak, Sea, and a Philly team that sat everybody but the water boy.............all pigs.

* Games against playoff/good teams, Dallas gave up: 35 to the Rams, 42 to the Broncs, 35 to GB, 27 to the Falcons, and 28 to SD.

* Dallas blew 2nd half home leads to: Rams, Packers and Seahawks.

Don't be fooled by the #'s - this defense is not what they suggest. I watch every game we play, often twice - this unit needs a lot of help still if it's going to play games in late January/Feb.

Lol I don’t disageee.

The eye test does indeed tell a bigger story offten times.

Expecally when it’s a team that You’re a fan off.

Stats are great, but sometimes they don’t tell the whole story.

And that was my point about the stats.

There where some teams that where pointed out like the Jags Vikings and Eagles that where great on paper, but a team like the Patriots there where not, and yet they made the super bowl.

Thanks.

I thought Philly played the starters a half and our defense looked really good. Either way, that was a small exception...our defense simply blows.

I just don't care for their roster.

Unless Dak totally takes 3 steps forward I dont see this team as much more than middling.

I just now heard T.O.'s comments on Garrett... Holy cow does he blasts his ass - and rightfully so... Say what you will about Owens - he nailed it on Red.

• Like 1

I just now heard T.O.'s comments on Garrett... Holy cow does he blasts his ass - and rightfully so... Say what you will about Owens - he nailed it on Red.

yeah, for once, i agreed with owens.

• Like 1

I just don't care for their roster.

Unless Dak totally takes 3 steps forward I dont see this team as much more than middling.

I agree. They should have the best online in football and they have zeke.

The defense isnt very good, the qb is average, and they have absolutely nothing at WR.

Seems like their going to see a lot of eight and nine man boxes daring dak to beat them. And with the lack of weapons at his disposal, I dont see that happening on a regular basis.

Jerry is an absolute sh!t GM. Until that changes, I dont see them making a great deal of progress.

Terrance (aka T-Flub, T-Dud) Williams. :lol:

My disdain for this ass clown is long chronicled, well documented here. So with his latest blunder - what does this mean for Dallas? He almost certainly gets suspended, although I guess he could tie this up with appeals for a while... He's on the book thru 2020, with a potential Dead Money hit of $7.25m this year, $2.5m in 2019, $1.5m in 2020.... I don't see how Jerry cuts bait now, not for a $7m hit this year - but bet the farm his ass is gone in 2019.

I know of the risks of playing rookies, but I'd love to see Gallup get a shot... At the very least with a significant role if not starter altogether... And I look for a WR to be taken in the 1st round next year - that I can maybe live with.

Would agree.

Gallop should be given the opportunity.

I think he could be their wr1.

It’s a tough postion for the Cowboys.

Terrance (aka T-Flub, T-Dud) Williams. :lol:

My disdain for this ass clown is long chronicled, well documented here. So with his latest blunder - what does this mean for Dallas? He almost certainly gets suspended, although I guess he could tie this up with appeals for a while... He's on the book thru 2020, with a potential Dead Money hit of $7.25m this year, $2.5m in 2019, $1.5m in 2020.... I don't see how Jerry cuts bait now, not for a $7m hit this year - but bet the farm his ass is gone in 2019.

I know of the risks of playing rookies, but I'd love to see Gallup get a shot... At the very least with a significant role if not starter altogether... And I look for a WR to be taken in the 1st round next year - that I can maybe live with.

well, thornton got cut last season despite having an fully guaranteed salary, and dez's dead money number this season is far worse than it would have been next year. i forget who came up with this metaphor, but recently DAL is ripping off the band-aid. in addition, i believe that if he is suspended, all guaranteed money gets voided.

long story short, it's a really crowded WR room (10 under contract) with a new coach and a bunch of new talent. i'd say there's definitely a chance that he's gone.

• Like 1

long story short, it's a really crowded WR room (10 under contract) with a new coach and a bunch of new talent. i'd say there's definitely a chance that he's gone.

Crazy huh? This has to be the biggest overhaul of a WR corps I've ever seen in a year. If Williams goes that leaves only Cole Beasley & Noah Brown remaining from last year.

Crazy huh? This has to be the biggest overhaul of a WR corps I've ever seen in a year. If Williams goes that leaves only Cole Beasley & Noah Brown remaining from last year.

yep. it's very similar to letting their entire defensive backfield walk last season. pundits were saying it would be the end of the world, but DAL got the last laugh--now everyone is saying that the youth movement was a great move.

and here we go again at a different position group, and all the pundits are saying the same thing they had to walk back the last time they said it.

:doublethumbsup:

• Like 1

yep. it's very similar to letting their entire defensive backfield walk last season. pundits were saying it would be the end of the world, but DAL got the last laugh--now everyone is saying that the youth movement was a great move.

and here we go again at a different position group, and all the pundits are saying the same thing they had to walk back the last time they said it.

Lord I hope so, well said.

I love it! :thumbsup:

By that I mean I love the "clean house/start over" approach this team has (seemingly) taken with the secondary and now the wrs... With any luck, we will continue the process with the defensive line and coaching staff next!

• Like 1

With any luck, we will continue the process with the defensive line

the defensive line? we have one of the youngest D lines in the league. crawford is the old man at age 28. tank is 26, as is ealy. irving is 25. maliek is 23. taco is 23. other than camp depth, the DTs are all in either their 2nd or 3rd season. they're almost all still in the developmental stage.

what are you going to replace them with--rookies who will take another couple of years to develop?

the defensive line? we have one of the youngest D lines in the league. crawford is the old man at age 28. tank is 26, as is ealy. irving is 25. maliek is 23. taco is 23. other than camp depth, the DTs are all in either their 2nd or 3rd season. they're almost all still in the developmental stage.

what are you going to replace them with--rookies who will take another couple of years to develop?

Youth alone doesn't make you great - or even good for that matter.

Crawford is average and overpaid...... Collins is ALWAYS hurt, and when not - decent...... Irving is (at times) a beast - he's also a head case with concussion worries..... Taco, please there isn't a team in the league he could start for.

Again, Minny and Philly were playing in the Championship rounds with half ass spare back up qbs.. They also had dominant defensive fronts.. One day people will wake up and figure out the correlation as to why our half ass defensive front is always is sitting at home in February and teams like that aren't.

Crawford is average and overpaid...... Collins is ALWAYS hurt, and when not - decent...... Irving is (at times) a beast - he's also a head case with concussion worries..... Taco, please there isn't a team in the league he could start for.

Again, Minny and Philly were playing in the Championship rounds with half ass spare back up qbs.. They also had dominant defensive fronts.. One day people will wake up and figure out the correlation as to why our half ass defensive front is always is sitting at home in February and teams like that aren't.

you said for years that tank was a bust. as a rookie, he looked every bit as lost and overwhelmed as taco. now he's an all-pro.

don't get me wrong--if you have a way to magic up a top echelon DL (like MIN and PHI), then i'd be all for it. but DLmen take a long time to develop, pass rushers especially so. the first couple of years, any players you bring in are going to be as bad or worse than the talent already in place. and next to QB, pass rushers are the very highest draft priority league-wide. so where are you going to get these guys? you have to draft them or develop them. you don't seem to want to wait for them to develop, so i guess deliberately tank the next 3 seasons so that we can draft elite DLmen as our OL is aging out? seems like a bold strategy.

it's going to be so much fun when the cowboys are top-10 in sacks this year. i'll remind you of this post.

:pointstosky:

I love it! :thumbsup:

By that I mean I love the "clean house/start over" approach this team has (seemingly) taken with the secondary and now the wrs... With any luck, we will continue the process with the defensive line and coaching staff next!

:cheers:

No but if they have talent & force, it's a way to quickly grow a Championship Team.

Right now I feel like we're in 1989 or 90 with the sun starting to rise. :thumbsup:

Projected Cowboys WR depth chart for 2018 reveals some surprises

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ContentGallery/Projected-Cowboys-WR-depth-chart-for-2018-reveals-some-surprises-118616411/#118616411_5

I wish Dallas would get a big body QB that sat in the pocket and dilivered the ball. Im sick of the safe short passes.

• Like 1

I guess I dont get why Gallup, a mid 3rd round rookie from colorado st, is getting so much love from Cowboy fans and fantasy people.

I mean sure he could be a HOFer. Anyone could. But seems like everyone i cluding the cowboys are putting a ton of stock in him not only going foward but this very 1st year of his.

I guess I dont get why Gallup, a mid 3rd round rookie from colorado st, is getting so much love from Cowboy fans and fantasy people.

I mean sure he could be a HOFer. Anyone could. But seems like everyone i cluding the cowboys are putting a ton of stock in him not only going foward but this very 1st year of his.

silly season.

gallup is a strong prospect, and he fits the profile of recent instant impact WRs drafted outside the 1st (particularly cupp and juju). that said, i agree that expectations are unrealistic.

silly season.

gallup is a strong prospect, and he fits the profile of recent instant impact WRs drafted outside the 1st (particularly cupp and juju). that said, i agree that expectations are unrealistic.

Opportunity is the reason he's getting so much hype. Only Hurns ahead of him really, and lots of receptions & yards to replace from last year.

That and this year's rookie WR crop wasn't that great.

Opportunity is the reason he's getting so much hype. Only Hurns ahead of him really, and lots of receptions & yards to replace from last year.

That and this year's rookie WR crop wasn't that great.

yeah, the williams drama puts him squarely in contention for a starting spot. according to the local beat guys, he has shown the ability to consistently gain separation due to his effective route running (per lal, he's already one of the best technical route runners). deonte was brought in for no other reason than raw speed--the ability to take the top off a defense. that's something you want on the field, but if gallup can consistently get open, it'll be hard to keep him on the sideline.

Williams isnt any world beater. But as the Cowboys 2nd WR he has put up crap numbers. Not sure why anyone would expect big things from Gallup especially in year one. It isnt like he fell into a great passing attack. Sure he should see some looks with Hurns at #1 and not much else. But with Dak and a strong running offense....his ceiling seems low for this year and next.

Williams isnt any world beater. But as the Cowboys 2nd WR he has put up crap numbers. Not sure why anyone would expect big things from Gallup especially in year one. It isnt like he fell into a great passing attack. Sure he should see some looks with Hurns at #1 and not much else. But with Dak and a strong running offense....his ceiling seems low for this year and next.

for the 4th option in a run-first scheme, he hasn't done too badly, but there's no question he's not worth his contract given the overall picture. cruzer and i were both grumpy when they re-signed him. money would have better been spent elsewhere.

as for gallup, his strength is crisp route running, and that's what dak prefers (instead of dez-type physicality). can't see him making too much noise in FF, but with so many targets to replace, there's a chance he'll have a solid season for a rookie.

David Irving suspended. Again.

freakin' dumbazz!

I guess one of my main questions is going to be, when will this Jaylon pick pan out? It seems like it was one of those "intentionally clever" picks that are there only to try and prove that you are the smartest guy in the room. The combination of them drafting Jaylon (to play along an injury prone Lee) and then let Hitchens go was mind boggling. It seems a lot of folks are most worried about WR and S going into this year... but LB is my main concern. Either LVE or Jaylon need to step up big time, or we need to hope for Lee to have a healthy season.

Covington may need to step in at some point this season... (as an at the time undervalued Hitchens did a few years ago)

Well - it's that time again boys and girl. So many questions, so many concerns............and yes, some reason for optimism.

* The Fredrick loss was killer. Not that Looney isn't a capable back up - but there's no substitute for losing a cerebral talent like Travis.

* For the 1st time in long time, there's reason for excitement on the defense. If Lee can stay healthy and we can find some kind of prodo at DT, this unit may shine a bit.

* Am I concerned at WR? Yes, but not nearly as much as I am at TE and QB - yes, I said QB. Dak has to make a jump - he has to vastly improve on getting the ball more than 5 yards down the field.

* Abbott & Costello (Red & Linehan) are still here, so no reason to think we are going to ever be fully prepared, going to make in game adjustments or outcoach our way to a win..... If Red goes even 8-8, I fear he will be back.

It's going to be tough. NY has added a monster in the backfield and of course Philly is still the world champs... I could see 10-6 and I could see 7-9 - who knows.

for the first time in years, cruzer and i are going into a season without major disagreement. all 4 of those observations are spot on.

Cowboys have no QB, an injured oline across the board, no defense, no receivers, no TE, etc... But, they will finish ahead of the Giants. It's a two team race in the east, Eagles and Redskins. Don't under estimate the power of Alex Smith.

for the first time in years, cruzer and i are going into a season without major disagreement. all 4 of those observations are spot on.

That can't be good. :D

Cowboys have no QB, an injured oline across the board, no defense, no receivers, no TE, etc... But, they will finish ahead of the Giants. It's a two team race in the east, Eagles and Redskins. Don't under estimate the power of Alex Smith.

Yeah I've always appreciated Alex, thought both San Fran & KC were nuts for letting him go. And great, now the Eagles & Giants won't have easy wins.

But the Cowboys DO have a QB, an O-Line, a much improved Defense, and an adequate Receiving Corp. Our weaknesses lie at depth & coaching.

Yeah I've always appreciated Alex, thought both San Fran & KC were nuts for letting him go. And great, now the Eagles & Giants won't have easy wins.

But the Cowboys DO have a QB, an O-Line, a much improved Defense, and an adequate Receiving Corp. Our weaknesses lie at depth & coaching.

You like the receiving options??

Yikes